Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,148 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:47 AM

Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. (15128 Views)

How Do I Tackle This At My Work Place? / How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! / Corporate Barber In Tie At His Work Place. Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by scaramenga: 7:04am On Sep 04, 2016
I suggest you leave o cause you are obviously not happy in your job you are constantly threatened and that does not look like it will change any time soon, just leave before you start getting high blood pressure
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by Nobody: 7:07am On Sep 04, 2016
Go church first, God go reveal your next action.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by leokennedi(m): 7:10am On Sep 04, 2016
The biggest mistake bro was not passwording ur fone... When the world sees a loophole in u, surely it will be used against you.. So no dey lifeguard.

And there is brighter life ahead bro... Dust off and move on.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by Laredojohn(m): 7:14am On Sep 04, 2016
First of all you claim it's a family biz, are u related to them If not, your case is just a gang up, they see you as a threat to the business, u just need to let go and move on involving police and the likes could even cause more issues, just move on as said earlier your field IT is sort after...you will get a new job soon..
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by Tobium1(m): 7:19am On Sep 04, 2016
I will com back to read again when someone summarises dis thing
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by danot1030: 7:22am On Sep 04, 2016
If you are not the type that talks down on your pastor, paying tithe and the church of God here on Nairaland, i can assure that all you need is go to your pastor let him pray for you.

But if you are an unrepentant attacker of God and his institution then you are on your own.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by sheyguy: 7:29am On Sep 04, 2016
imustsaymymindo:
@op Do you still have the recording? If yes, keep it. Talk to a lawyer not the police.
I still do. I thought of that too. Thanks alot.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by sheyguy: 7:35am On Sep 04, 2016
Tkayhandsome:
Na so I record my former boss when she say make I sleep with her. When I play am for her husband, him come sack me say I dey disobedient. Say I no respect him wife. Common to make love I dey form. You are fired.
like yours my recordings where inspired by the weight of what I was being told. They even boasted to me that I am not of the Family so I don't right to justice in that office on tape.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by sheyguy: 7:44am On Sep 04, 2016
sisisioge:
Hmmm, I would say you should either hint your knew employer about them or don't ever make reference to them as previous employer.
I understand you well. That's what I am trying to protect be against. Thanks.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by sheyguy: 7:47am On Sep 04, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
You just dey fall person hand...you are into IT and you were this careless with recordings....you no get vault for phone ?!!!!....chai...just leave that place abeg
It is hard to paint the full picture but it wasn't a normal IT role.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by dblackninja: 7:51am On Sep 04, 2016
MaziOmenuko:
Hian!

Am I the only one that doesn't understand what op write up there?

These IT guys self, must everything be in 'codes'?

As in..I didn't even understand a single sentence

sheyguy decode your op abeg angry
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by sheyguy: 7:52am On Sep 04, 2016
mployer:

You got fired the day they found out about the recording. They can't trust you anymore, so they can't keep you. Just resign bro.
Your statement is confusing and makes you sound like one of them.
Why resign if I have been fired already? They refuse to give me a copy of the termination of appointment letter. Go read the thread again please.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by kenturkish(m): 8:00am On Sep 04, 2016
Your post is incoherent, dose not make one bit of sense.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by sheyguy: 8:04am On Sep 04, 2016
ayuseyuse:
So, you still want to work with them? You better resign before they poison you one day.
I never said that.
I am after my 2 and half years of experience that's all. As I type they still av my last salary and tools siezed. Just imagine that, but I never complain about those.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by Nobody: 8:16am On Sep 04, 2016
Never stay long where you're hated. Wisdom is profitable to direct...
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by deliveryboy: 8:34am On Sep 04, 2016
Work environment is very important, in my opinion that place is not a good working environment, you are not likely to return, but even if you do, you'll be very unhappy because of the corrosive atmosphere(which you also help create). Be thankful for the chance they gave you and move on.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by sheyguy: 8:40am On Sep 04, 2016
dblackninja:

As in..I didn't even understand a single sentence

sheyguy decode your op abeg angry
Please read the fourth post i chipped in new points there as front page thread can't be modified.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by josite: 8:41am On Sep 04, 2016
im a lawyer.it is not your father;s business.it is best u find alternative employment.sooner or later u have to leave .if u have terminal benefits by your contract of employment,ask for it and if it is not given,sue for it if you can spare a lawyer 500k to handle the matter for u.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by onegig(m): 8:46am On Sep 04, 2016
This op sounds very petty.

You were employed and asked to bring your own personal system to work and they never gave you passwords to administrate pages and you had to "steal" it and in your small mind thought recording those conversations is right and a cover for your ineptitude?

From the little i have read. you sound like a big time pessimist. What's with the rubbish of IT equipment getting damaged? and if an equipment gets damaged, did you willifully damage it?

Why in the world would you record someone without their autorization thereby violating their privacy. You all seem like kids in that office of yours. With fellow employees going through phones and whatnot. And what the Bleep does it matter if they write bad things in your file? Are you planning to stay there for life or does that writing determine who goes to heaven or not?

I don't have an advice for you. Just a straightening up, that you need to grow up. Someone employs you to do something and does not give you the necessary tools of your work. You need to stand up and ask the director or whoever is in charge for it and not go behind gossiping and getting illegal passwords all over the place.

2 Likes

Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by onegig(m): 8:47am On Sep 04, 2016
sheyguy:
I never said that.
I am after my 2 and half years of experience that's all. As I type they still av my last salary and tools siezed. Just imagine that, but I never complain about those.

What tools please?

Screwdriver and blower? Or what exactly that you can't just move on?
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by seyi42k(m): 8:47am On Sep 04, 2016
sheyguy:
Goodmorning Nlders,
I have a challenge concerning my 'former' work place which is a family business.
It all started after I was employed in 2012 as an IT support staff. The HR in my work place started giving me strange new conditions like: me bringing a laptop as part of my tools to the work place(even when I knew I didn't need it), and having to employ my own means(stealing) to get privileged info like passwords and software administration tips from the colleague I met in the department. The strange new rules kept coming from the HR and then my departmental colleague in form of friendly charges and at this point I decided to protect myself by secretly recording(audio) what I could to avoid being denied in the event of a disaster(data or key equipment loss).

The situation continued not without new challenges as I later got to realize that there was a clique among staffs (secret society type maintained by the business owners themselves;wife and husband). It got to a point where my colleague in department discovered the recordings, I suspect he combed through my phone while I charged it, and leaked it to his clique-the HR inclusive. This lead to me being targeted openly in the office and subsequently framed up and suspended indefinitely since some two years ago.

The Situation Now
As it stands now, they have secretly filed a termination of appointment letter into my file which I discovered by luck and when I asked for a copy of it through email they refused. I am considering taking up the case because:

1.) Before I was suspended the confrontation got serious and I have the particular staff who signed my letter of indefinite suspension on tape threatening to fill my file up so it will remain a stigma.I know their knowledge of this particular threat won't make them want to reveal the termination of appointment letter to me.

2.) They have no real case against me. In addition to this I replied the last query I was given and rightly denied the flimsy allegation I was framed up with.

Should I just let them stain my record easily? I asked the last question because I know there is a 99.999% chance of them doctoring incriminating stuffs into my file if my appointment can be terminated and kept secret from me by them.

From my findings and gauging of their mood around me after I was suspended, I strongly suspect they secretly hope I somehow come around one day and drop a resignation letter but I don't intend to go that way.

I need the advice of NL in the house on what step to take. Should I lodge a complaint with the police, take them to court or write Labour institutions for support?

This is my candid advice, people capable of doing what you say they did are also capable of setting you up even in absentia. If an indefinite suspension is in your file, they could remove and claim you were never sacked but went AWOL.

Kindly read the following carefully;
1. Resign officially especially if you were given an offer letter on resumption and get an acknowledged copy.

2. Get a small lawyer to write them and also get an acknowledged copy.

3. File a police report. Ask around on how to do that as related to employment issues.

4. forget that part of your life. If another employer asked what you did during that period, just say freelance especially if you did. If you put that organization on your CV, they will scatter your career opportunities.

5. Try to get another small time job, that is if you have not gotten such after 2 years. This will reduce the risk of new employers asking about the company.

6. Don't press any case. You have also broken so many ethical rules. NO employer will hear that you recorded conversations, even with the best intentions, and still employ you.

7. Do not also tell the police you recorded conversations as they might say, in collusion with that employer, you wanted to set them up and blackmail them hereby turning the case back on you. Just report unfair employment termination just to put on record that you did not work in that environment for those years so that someone does not use your IT privileges to perpetrate fraud and then accuse you.

For you & all of us, staying in an environment that is full of red flags and unethical because we need to work and survive might create problems along our career path. Kindly ask any banker that worked in a bank that failed or had major CBN issues how it affected their careers. They will always ascribe the organizations failings to you even when you knew nothing about it and use it to reduce any offer to you regardless of skills or experience.

Just move on.

2 Likes

Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by anibueli147(m): 8:53am On Sep 04, 2016
sheyguy:
Goodmorning Nlders,
I have a challenge concerning my 'former' work place which is a family business.
It all started after I was employed in 2012 as an IT support staff. The HR in my work place started giving me strange new conditions like: me bringing a laptop as part of my tools to the work place(even when I knew I didn't need it), and having to employ my own means(stealing) to get privileged info like passwords and software administration tips from the colleague I met in the department. The strange new rules kept coming from the HR and then my departmental colleague in form of friendly charges and at this point I decided to protect myself by secretly recording(audio) what I could to avoid being denied in the event of a disaster(data or key equipment loss).

The situation continued not without new challenges as I later got to realize that there was a clique among staffs (secret society type maintained by the business owners themselves;wife and husband). It got to a point where my colleague in department discovered the recordings, I suspect he combed through my phone while I charged it, and leaked it to his clique-the HR inclusive. This lead to me being targeted openly in the office and subsequently framed up and suspended indefinitely since some two years ago.

The Situation Now
As it stands now, they have secretly filed a termination of appointment letter into my file which I discovered by luck and when I asked for a copy of it through email they refused. I am considering taking up the case because:

1.) Before I was suspended the confrontation got serious and I have the particular staff who signed my letter of indefinite suspension on tape threatening to fill my file up so it will remain a stigma.I know their knowledge of this particular threat won't make them want to reveal the termination of appointment letter to me.

2.) They have no real case against me. In addition to this I replied the last query I was given and rightly denied the flimsy allegation I was framed up with.

Should I just let them stain my record easily? I asked the last question because I know there is a 99.999% chance of them doctoring incriminating stuffs into my file if my appointment can be terminated and kept secret from me by them.

From my findings and gauging of their mood around me after I was suspended, I strongly suspect they secretly hope I somehow come around one day and drop a resignation letter but I don't intend to go that way.

I need the advice of NL in the house on what step to take. Should I lodge a complaint with the police, take them to court or write Labour institutions for support?

over sabi na him kill u so why u go dey record office stuffs so u want to be the gud one abi,u no meet other ppl there my ppl dey say if fowl reach town wen him no knw him go stand with one leg
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by sheyguy: 9:11am On Sep 04, 2016
anibueli147:

[s]over sabi na him kill u so why u go dey record office stuffs so u want to be the gud one abi,u no meet other ppl there my ppl dey say if fowl reach town wen him no knw him go stand with one leg[/s]
address the topic mr man.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by obstead200(m): 9:13am On Sep 04, 2016
sheyguy:
Goodmorning Nlders,

The Situation Now

I blame u FULLY.
All ur actions and words summates that u were totally unprofessional. U were very petty in the office.
If u were asked to do something wrong, why did u not seek audience with ur CEO and explain to him the dangers in what the HR were asking u to do?
U claimed he was part of the clique, that is pure bullshit. He cannot support a clique at the expense if his own business.
Before making the recordings, u shud have notified ur CEO that u will have to make recordings of all the conversation as a proof to defend urself if he allows such issues to continue.

My personal opinion: there are other reasons why were suspended (or sacked). And it has to do with u squarely.

My advice: learn ur lesson and move on

1 Like

Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by dblackninja: 9:18am On Sep 04, 2016
sheyguy:

[MODIFIED]
Seems my post is being misunderstood.

I never said I want to continue working with them.
They still av my last salary and various tools with them and have refused to return them but those can be forgotten willingly by me.
My recordings were inspired by the weight of what I was being told on a weekly basis.
They even boasted to me that I am not of the 'Family' so I don't have right to justice in that office on tape.
I didn't and would never manipulate anyone into a coversation. They spoke freely and came to me to tell lies on their own accord.

What kind of tools would that be?
You said you can willingly forget about those, then forget about it and move on...Unless am mistake, this happened like about 2 good fvking years ago, do you think that you're still an employee of the company?

You have already been sacked with style 2 years ago..so unless the tools you're talking about is important, let it slide.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by sheyguy: 9:19am On Sep 04, 2016
seyi42k:

This is my candid advice, people capable of doing what you say they did are also capable of setting you up even in absentia. If an indefinite suspension is in your file, they could remove and claim you were never sacked but went AWOL.

Kindly read the following carefully;
1. Resign officially especially if you were given an offer letter on resumption and get an acknowledged copy.

2. Get a small lawyer to write them and also get an acknowledged copy.

3. File a police report. Ask around on how to do that as related to employment issues.

4. forget that part of your life. If another employer asked what you did during that period, just say freelance especially if you did. If you put that organization on your CV, they will scatter your career opportunities.

5. Try to get another small time job, that is if you have not gotten such after 2 years. This will reduce the risk of new employers asking about the company.

6. Don't press any case. You have also broken so many ethical rules. NO employer will hear that you recorded conversations, even with the best intentions, and still employ you.

7. Do not also tell the police you recorded conversations as they might say, in collusion with that employer, you wanted to set them up and blackmail them hereby turning the case back on you. Just report unfair employment termination just to put on record that you did not work in that environment for those years so that someone does not use your IT privileges to perpetrate fraud and then accuse you.

For you & all of us, staying in an environment that is full of red flags and unethical because we need to work and survive might create problems along our career path. Kindly ask any banker that worked in a bank that failed or had major CBN issues how it affected their careers. They will always ascribe the organizations failings to you even when you knew nothing about it and use it to reduce any offer to you regardless of skills or experience.

Just move on.
God bless you brother. My thoughts almost mirrored yours.
As it stands I haven't shown or reveal the recording to a third party.

@anibueli147 see what a good response looks like.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 04, 2016
MaziOmenuko:
Hian!

Am I the only one that doesn't understand what op write up there?

These IT guys self, must everything be in 'codes'?

you are not the only one!! his story is very disjointed!!!!
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by opedaydydx9(m): 9:26am On Sep 04, 2016
sheyguy:
I never said that.
after two ND half yrs of experience u would make reference to it in ur resume or next application letter, u want to ruin ur future abi
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by sheyguy: 9:28am On Sep 04, 2016
Double post.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by sheyguy: 9:28am On Sep 04, 2016
dblackninja:

What kind of tools would that be?
You said you can willingly forget about those, then forget about it and move on...Unless am mistake, this happened like about 2 good fvking years ago, do you think that you're still an employee of the company?

You have already been sacked with style 2 years ago
..so unless the tools you're talking about is important, let it slide
I realize the bolded too. As it stands now they refuse to give me my termination of appointment letter. They are hiding it from me but showing to others. Just imagine.
Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by Nobody: 9:29am On Sep 04, 2016
Let me see your future.since your are an it prof go look 4 another.

Re: Help Nairalanders, My Work Place Dilemma. by AntiWailer: 9:31am On Sep 04, 2016
Get another job

Resign and never put them in ur reference or CV.

It is as simple as that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aero Airline Staff Protest At MMIA, Lagos (photos) / 11 Things That Will Make You A Superstar Employee / 5 Things To Do Before You Quit The Job You Hate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.