Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,763 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? (1757 Views)

Who Told You God Almighty Doesn't Discipline You When You Sin? / 'El' Is the true Name Of what is called God / How To Hear The Voice Of The Lord God Almighty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 03, 2016
The name of God Almighty seems to vary from one denomination or the other. Some call Him “ God” and “Lord” and this has been argued that they are mere titles but not the actual name of God.

I have also heard people call Him “El Shaddai” and some “ Jehovah “ while others call him “Yahweh” which some Christian scholars believe is the real name of God.

From your studies of the scripture, which of these names or any other do you think is the actual name of Almighty God?
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by sonofluc1fer: 8:43am On Sep 03, 2016
Why don't you ask Him?

1 Like

Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by easterwick(m): 8:48am On Sep 03, 2016
sonofluc1fer:
Why don't you ask Him?
This sonoflucifer self, if you see lucifer son you go know am?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by blessedvisky(m): 9:11am On Sep 03, 2016
I personally believe God has no known name to we mortals. The names of God described in the Bible are descriptive of his character. E.g Jehovah Jireh.
Yahweh simply means " I am who I am"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 03, 2016
blessedvisky:
I personally believe God has no known name to we mortals. The names of God described in the Bible are descriptive of his character. E.g Jehovah Jireh.
Yahweh simply means " I am who I am"
Yeah true. "I Am Who I AM" is the name God himself said He should be addressed.

When Moses was directed by God to go to the Egyptian Pharaoh and demand the release of the Israelites, Moses asked God, “Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ Now they may say to me, ‘What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?” (Exodus 3:13).The answer God gave Moses was simple, yet very revealing: “God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM’; and He said, ‘Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, “I AM has sent me to you”

So from what you said, the right name God should be addressed is Yahweh.
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by blessedvisky(m): 10:08am On Sep 03, 2016
Jesuobu:
Yeah true. "I Am Who I AM" is the name God himself said He should be addressed.

When Moses was directed by God to go to the Egyptian Pharaoh and demand the release of the Israelites, Moses asked God, “Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ Now they may say to me, ‘What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?” (Exodus 3:13).The answer God gave Moses was simple, yet very revealing: “God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM’; and He said, ‘Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, “I AM has sent me to you”

So from what you said, the right name God should be addressed is Yahweh.

Well, I still believe God has no known name to us. Which language would we use to name him?. English? Arabic?? Hebrew?? God has been existing before creation, and thus, outdated ANY language.

The closest we can get is this
Genesis 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

This happened when the whole earth was still of one one tongue ( the scattering of tongues happened later on). This is closest we can get. However, whatever Language men spoke in those days doesn't exist today anymore. So what men called God then is unknown to us today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Nobody: 10:51am On Sep 03, 2016
blessedvisky:

Well, I still believe God has no known name to us. Which language would we use to name him?. English? Arabic?? Hebrew?? God has been existing before creation, and thus, outdated ANY language.

Genesis 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

This happened when the whole earth was still of one one tongue ( the scattering of tongues happened later on). This is closest we can get. However, whatever Language men spoke in those days doesn't exist today anymore. So what men called God then is unknown to us today.
hmm.. You have a good point. I have learnt something new today. Thanks.
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by aminusanti(m): 10:58am On Sep 03, 2016
Allah

1 Share

Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by blessedvisky(m): 11:17am On Sep 03, 2016
Jesuobu:
hmm.. You have a good point. I have learnt something new today. Thanks.

Lalasticlala oo. This is a good thread. Front page pls
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by sonofluc1fer: 11:31am On Sep 03, 2016
easterwick:
This sonoflucifer self, if you see lucifer son you go know am?
grin angry grin grin
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Jozzy4: 4:55pm On Sep 03, 2016
@ Op read Psalm 83:18

" That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth" KJV

2 Likes

Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Jozzy4: 4:57pm On Sep 03, 2016
blessedvisky:

you have a point bro, but should language hinder us from using Gods name ?

the last time I checked his son whom we called Jesus wasn't called Jesus during his days on earth, was he ?
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Sep 03, 2016
Jozzy4:
@ Op read Psalm 83:18

" That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth" KJV
OK.... Maybe that's why Jehovah witnesses call Him Jehovah.
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Jozzy4: 5:19pm On Sep 03, 2016
Jesuobu:
OK.... Maybe that's why Jehovah witnesses call Him Jehovah.

smiles.. but is it only Jehovah's witnesses that should use the name Sir ?
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Emusan(m): 5:29pm On Sep 03, 2016
Jozzy4:

Even the rendering JEHOVAH is inaccurate which means your organization name is also wrong. YAHWEH is more accurate than Jehovah.

So spear us that!

1 Like

Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Nobody: 5:31pm On Sep 03, 2016
Jozzy4:

no I don't think so. We should just stick to one name for God instead of using different names because God is not human that has two to three names or even more smiley
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by blessedvisky(m): 5:46pm On Sep 03, 2016
Jozzy4:

you have a point bro, but should language hinder us from using Gods name ?

the last time I checked his son whom we called Jesus wasn't called Jesus during his days on earth, was he ?

Aren't you that JW guy that was saying nonsense in that thread? Where you accused Olaadegbu of being a false teacher and my teacher @ d same time?? You think I'll forget? abeg shift
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Jozzy4: 9:26pm On Sep 03, 2016
Jesuobu:
no I don't think so. We should just stick to one name for God instead of using different names because God is not human that has two to three names or even more smiley

thanks bro
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Jozzy4: 10:56pm On Sep 03, 2016
Emusan:

Even the rendering JEHOVAH is inaccurate which means your organization name is also wrong. YAHWEH is more accurate than Jehovah.

So spear us that!

Yahweh in Hebrew , Jehovah in English.
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Emusan(m): 9:10pm On Sep 04, 2016
Jozzy4:

Yahweh in Hebrew , Jehovah in English.

Why is it convenient for you to lie openly like this? Devil himself will be afraid at your lie. One word fear God!
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Jozzy4: 10:08am On Sep 05, 2016
Emusan:

Why is it convenient for you to lie openly like this? Devil himself will be afraid at your lie. One word fear God!

That makes you a Liar.

Here you testify Jehovah is Gods name

Emusan

So I used all the names of God; be Jehovah
https://www.nairaland.com/1524683/reason-why-jehovah-witnesses-call

Here you testify again that Yahweh is Gods name in Hebrew

Emusan

The Great Yahweh in Hebrew

https://www.nairaland.com/2520043/what-makes-god-god/1

So what is your problem ?

1 Like

Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Emusan(m): 3:04pm On Sep 05, 2016
Jozzy4:

That makes you a Liar.

Here you testify Jehovah is Gods name

https://www.nairaland.com/1524683/reason-why-jehovah-witnesses-call

Here you testify again that Yahweh is Gods name in Hebrew

https://www.nairaland.com/2520043/what-makes-god-god/1

So what is your problem ?

Imaging, quoting different thread to justify your lie is alarming.

When I said I used God's Name Jehovah and I said the great Yahweh in Hebrew, am I proving something different or similar between the Names?

Why can't you quote what lead to those statements?

I repeat, the rendering of Jehovah is inaccurate which makes your organization name to be wrong.
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Jozzy4: 8:24pm On Sep 05, 2016
Emusan:

Imaging, quoting different thread to justify your lie is alarming.

When I said I used God's Name Jehovah and I said the great Yahweh in Hebrew, am I proving something different or similar between the Names?

Why can't you quote what lead to those statements?

I repeat, the rendering of Jehovah is inaccurate which makes your organization name to be wrong.

after reading the bold , you expect me to take you serious ?

Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Emusan(m): 10:25pm On Sep 05, 2016
Jozzy4:

after reading the bold , you expect me to take you serious ?

Olodo, this is what I wrote on that thread and that was 2013
"So I used all the names of God; be Jehovah, I Am, Jealous(in provocative prayer) but conscience of biaslism won't allow some people to use other name."

Like I said, the rendering of Jehovah is wrong even your organization know.
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Jozzy4: 9:38am On Sep 06, 2016
grin
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by Jozzy4: 9:41am On Sep 06, 2016
Emusan:

Olodo, this is what I wrote on that thread and that was 2013

Like I said, the rendering of Jehovah is wrong even your organization know.

Emusan

When I said I use God's Name Jehovah
Re: What Is The True Name Of God Almighty? by sonmvayina(m): 3:45pm On Jun 20, 2018
Languages vary according to culture, you can't expect me an ignore man to use a yoruba word for God.. Or vice versa... Igbo call him Chukwu, yoruba call him Eledumare, the isoke call him oghene, Bini call him osanobua...

The jews call him Yaweh, the babylonian call him marduk, the Romans call him Jupiter, the Indians call him vishnu... Etc.
Same creator of heaven and earth.. Different nomenclature.

(1) (Reply)

Dont criticize MOGs security Is Common Sense / Nairaland's Resident Atheists-behold The Testimonies Of Your Masters. / 38 Reasons Why Jesus Is Not God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.