Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,253 members, 7,780,542 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:08 PM

How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos (18945 Views)

10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. / Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by Folarinibrahim1(m): 6:45am On Sep 04, 2016
Foxflames:
Why not find a friend who has a manual car and try it out first before buying. If you don't have such a friend. Try going to a driving school and try out their manual or automatic cars. Until . u have a practical feel...most of the advice here are just personal opinion.
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by deLogo(m): 6:47am On Sep 04, 2016
shyling:

So in your wisdom men drive better than women? Nonsense third degree! I have seen experienced crazy women drivers.... Who shift the stick like a toy..... Stop stereotyping women.... When most men were trekking Funmilayo Ransome Kuti bought and drove her car in Nigeria! Women are humans....that you think your wife and other women around you are inferior doesn't mean that our own women are second class humans like you view those around you!
sister take it easy you go get heartattack the man didn't say anything wrong "who annoy u 4 nyt?"
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by XCLUX(m): 6:55am On Sep 04, 2016
Not everybody can drive manual, I love t stick you won't be able to steal it tho. Trust me people won't borrow your car because th know it's not auto.

2 Likes

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by lifezone247(m): 6:59am On Sep 04, 2016
Icecomrade:

Learners are gradually showing themselves
I'm telling you, I just dey laff all the comments.
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by Hassan080196(m): 7:03am On Sep 04, 2016
Sashafm:
I am about to get a car, and the option available to me is to get a manual car which is 2 million lesser or I go for the same car but the automatic version.
I am quite concerned because of the price of the car but my colleagues are advising me not to even think about the manual car because of traffic. I am of the opinion that I can learn how to drive the manual car and not get too stressed while driving.
Please I need advice from experienced drivers, is driving a manual car that terrible in Lagos?

Buy automatic Mercedes c class compressor and you'll never regret buying it.
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by Obilo123(m): 7:07am On Sep 04, 2016
For me, there many reasons you should go for manual. As a starter, manual will help you to perfect your driving skills. Anybody who complains about changing manual gear in traffic and claims that he knows our to drive is deceiving himself. You can look for a simple manual car which you can use for a period of years then later if you wish you can then go for auto.

4 Likes

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by bellyjean(m): 7:18am On Sep 04, 2016
If you can drive a manual VERY WELL, you can go for it.
Pls note the emphasised words.

Manual is fun to drive. It keeps you concentrated at all times. You get to know your car better because you become one with it (my experience tho) and if you can drive one very well, even the gridlock in china or Mumbai shouldn't scare you talk less of lagos.

If you want comfort and ease of driving for example in a fast paced and frenzy city like lagos, you can go for an Automatic. Driving itself is stress whether u drive a manual or automatic. But it is no longer stress for me because I enjoy it.

Note: both come with their problems. You can't push start an automatic, say ur battery is down or ur ignition is faulty, but u can for manual. Gear selection problem is also common for automatic; it also happens to manual, but the good news for manual is that if it happens on the road and ur car stops, you can push it to the sides so that it won't cause traffic and u avoid curse and ridiculous words from crazy drivers.

I love driving manual. Infact I am a competitive driver and it is fun to me; from braking to clutching to changing of gears cheesy. I stay with my uncle now and his cars are automatic. I just don't feel myself anymore while driving auto grin

My advice is that you should go for manual if and only if you drive manual very well, otherwise go for an automatic. Albeit, you shouldn't joke with its maintenance and check up. Confide in a good and trusted mechanic/auto repairer. If you are getting a good grade car, you shouldn't have problems. But a periodic check and maintenance is key because it is not just about you, it is about you and the car.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by dotna(m): 7:23am On Sep 04, 2016
Yam leg is good. Makes you look fit and sweet wink

PaperLace:
My sister, don't try it... I repeat DON'T TRY IT.
If you wanna buy a manual, buy it because you love manual cars. Not for cost or prestige (y'know that accolade that comes with being a female manual driver in Nigeria...lols)

Yes, it helped me be very calculative and focused but in the long run, I ended up with yam leg and a strained waist. I couldn't even bend or flip over in bed... grin
N.B This wasn't even in Lagos o
#PersonalExperience.
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by Certifiedboss: 7:34am On Sep 04, 2016
Tkayhandsome:
You hardly find manual in foreign countries. Auto everywhere.
Easy to drive. I no fit shout

Go to India you will hardly find auto. You will see mad whips they are all manual. Range , Benz all kind of mad whips

2 Likes

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by Felincous(m): 7:38am On Sep 04, 2016
peterjero:
This is my opinion
1. Manual cars are cheap to maintain
2. Manual cars are interesting to drive
3. You are always in control
4. Fuel economy is always better
5. When battery weak you push to start
6. Same when the kickstarter is bad
7. YOU MAKE YOUR FINAL BUYING DECISION

He has said it all.
I drive manual car in Lagos nd I dont hv issues in traffic like u pple actully mentiond
Infact, changing gears is what I enjoy while driving.

3 Likes

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by AnusOdourInhaler: 7:47am On Sep 04, 2016
I drive manual, but I prefer driving my mom's automatic car... I'll not encourage any woman close to me to drive manual, because they're too precious to stress themselves driving, while they can drive effortlessly.
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by kizyalex10(m): 7:51am On Sep 04, 2016
When auto is not too popular,manual is what everybody drives,i have both cars auto encourages laziness,when manual is jst too smart for me,always active,no sleeping,always in control of the movement.cheaper to maintain.u that is not even using it for cormercial,what of transporters. In lagos(danfo).they re able to do those magic because of the manual gear.still u can choose for urself

1 Like

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by Majesticniyi(m): 7:52am On Sep 04, 2016
I learnt driving with a manual drive but not I drive an automatic. I really don't understand why someone would want the stress of driving a manual. Wait sef, I'm sure those supporting manual would also ask me to use a typewriter for my documents instead of a computer....why would I want to drive a manual? What a manual can do, an automatic can do better. Someone said it makes one more alert on the road but that's at the expense of what? Getting tired to work everyday? I hope op isn't an engineer that goes home tired after work everyday sha....

2 Likes

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by asoderock(m): 7:56am On Sep 04, 2016
In the short term, driving a manual car will be a pain in the ass, especially with the Lagos traffic. It takes some time (more than a year for some) to master the art of driving smoothly and pleasureably with a manual car.

Once you have perfected your skills with the manual tyranny, you will become attached to it and will always look forward to driving it. I got a manual car in 2012 and was driving daily for work to Apapa. It was a real nightmare, I often regretted my decision, I burnt 2 clutches in less than one year, thankfully clutches are cheap. I have since perfected the art and tricks of shifting and would never let go driving manual vehicles.

The experience for me now with manual is near 0rgazm. Although I latter picked up an auto tyranny latter, the manual will always remain my favorite darling. Expensive repairs are virtually non existence except for normal Oil changes, brakes bushings.

As for slow moving traffic, that can be a pain especially for new drivers, but in the long run u pick up tricks to limit stress like returning to neutral frequently instead of holding down the clutch.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by MztrChukwu(m): 7:59am On Sep 04, 2016
Uniqueteco:
Never show your face when drivers are being called if you're not driving manuals on Lag roads. Go for manual.

Best comment so far!

HOW can one call oneself a driver yet can't drive a manual car consistently!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by phemocheee(m): 8:01am On Sep 04, 2016
My sister, please for the sake of God, DON'T buy a manual car. I remember changing my manual car for automatic in 2012 when I started having muscle pull on my left leg in traffic. Yesterday, I drove a friend's manual car and I realised my left leg was shaking due to series of clutching down, release, brake, throttle e.t.c

AUTO is the way to go, don't make a mistake you will regret for a very long time.

Cheers
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by redcliff: 8:02am On Sep 04, 2016
Sashafm:

What about the stress of changing gears do you think, it's wise for a lady in Lagos traffic?

You dont want to drive manual but its you same women advocating gender equality....smh.

3 Likes

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by MztrChukwu(m): 8:02am On Sep 04, 2016
Obilo123:
For me, there many reasons you should go for manual. As a starter, manual will help you to perfect your driving skills. Anybody who complains about changing manual gear in traffic and claims that he knows our to drive is deceiving himself. You can look for a simple manual car which you can use for a period of years then later if you wish you can then go for auto.

GBAM O!
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by flokii: 8:08am On Sep 04, 2016
@OP just go for automatic jeje.. Why make life hard for yourself unnecessarily

If it's fuel consumption you're worried about.. There are some brands with low fuel consumption rate eg. Hyundai and some others
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by micklplus(m): 8:09am On Sep 04, 2016
So sad how we have demonised manual. Born and bred in Lagos and i have driven manual in Lagos consistently

Except if you don't know what you are doing, nothing is wrong with manual Drive.

In a crazy twist, I love manual more and it's more fun

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by iamzoya(f): 8:09am On Sep 04, 2016
I am a woman and for the past four years i drive a manual car (ford) and its been ok. By the grace of GOD I have never had any cause to worry. Its very easy to avoid an accident with manual cars if you are good at changing gears and you will also enjoy a manual car when its raining.

#myopinionanyway

3 Likes

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by Caveatemptor(m): 8:11am On Sep 04, 2016
Obilo123:

Very true.
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by redcliff: 8:13am On Sep 04, 2016
Tkayhandsome:

Lol. You must be a joker!
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by redcliff: 8:20am On Sep 04, 2016
shyling:

Your views are very erroneous! What makes Gazzuzz almighty? You speak recklessly and myopically. So simply because he sold his manual transmission Kia others can't or don't use manual transmission in Lagos? If I may ask are all brt buses not kitted with manual transmission? Are all danfo not manual transmission? All LT buses are running on manual transmission! So what kind of jibber jabber are you spewing about manual transmission? Next time be sure that you know about what is being discussed before passing irritating opinions......yeboo?

Better person..
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by redcliff: 8:23am On Sep 04, 2016
micklplus:
So sad how we have demonised manual. Born and bred in Lagos and i have driven manual in Lagos consistently

Except if you don't know what you are doing, nothing is wrong with manual Drive.

In a crazy twist, I love manual more and it's more fun

Exactly i have never had problems driving a manual car. My first car was one. So would my next if i see one i like! I drove that everyday to and fro work even with heavy traffic amd i never for one day complained or felt the need that i was having a problem wuth driving.

1 Like

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by Crixie(m): 8:38am On Sep 04, 2016
Some comments in this thread are really funny...Pls it's noteworthy to mention that the auto tranny is not an upgrade to the manual tranny,it is an alternative !!! ...2017 model cars will still come with the MANual tranny,calling or comparing the manual transmission to outdated things is just plain funny

2 Likes

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by youngice(m): 8:48am On Sep 04, 2016
Icecomrade:

Learners are gradually showing themselves
The great Micheal Schumacher has spoken
Sorry sir o
It's just that clutch and gas balancing kill
The clutching system fast

1 Like

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by nurey(m): 8:58am On Sep 04, 2016
shyling:

Your views are very erroneous! What makes Gazzuzz almighty? You speak recklessly and myopically. So simply because he sold his manual transmission Kia others can't or don't use manual transmission in Lagos? If I may ask are all brt buses not kitted with manual transmission? Are all danfo not manual transmission? All LT buses are running on manual transmission! So what kind of jibber jabber are you spewing about manual transmission? Next time be sure that you know about what is being discussed before passing irritating opinions......yeboo?

First off, there was no need for the tribal sentiments, this is Cartalk not ethnic politics section

Secondly I doubt if you have ever driven a manual car in Lagos for a year as in everyday driver

Thirdly I won't stoop so low to your level by arguing or throwing insults back at you

Fourth point, if my opinion annoyed you, you sir can go and lie down on a train track

3 Likes

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by x6blade(m): 9:08am On Sep 04, 2016
Tkayhandsome:
really 99% of Europeans drive manual tho

1 Like

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by sharpchap: 9:16am On Sep 04, 2016
Pls don't buy a car that is too expensive as your first car. Buy something cheap and use it to learn about cars. If Ur mind strong I prefer U to buy manual and learn HOW TO DRIVE VERY WELL before switching to automatic in Ur next car. Pls don't listen to all the LAZY children here that don't know how to drive. Manual hones Ur instincts.

2 Likes

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by shyling(f): 9:22am On Sep 04, 2016
engrshakespeare:

whatever you are, you are an irritating tribal prick. Can't you make your point without going personal on someone. In the end you made no point.
Yebo is Zulu language not meaning Igbo expand your imagination and diction

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by revolt(m): 9:37am On Sep 04, 2016
Sashafm:

What about the stress of changing gears do you think, it's wise for a lady in Lagos traffic?
I live and drive in lagos, Mondays till Saturdays , mainland to island and back. I drive a manual car more often.

Truth is , it's only people that can't really drive manual that bring up the excuse that manuals are stressful.

it's more fun, faster, and you're in control

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Get Your Vehicle Tracked. / Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) / Latest Car Technology Of 2019 - The 10 Best Are Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.