Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,996 members, 7,799,419 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos (18978 Views)

10 Reasons Why You Should Learn To Drive The Manual Car. / 5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. / Photos: How To Drive A Manual Car 15 Steps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by kendraloops(f): 7:50pm On Apr 20, 2017
nurey:

your addition of neutral to the mix is quite funny, reminds me of the first day i actually played arcade game with steering wheel and manual gear. it would even be more funny watching you change gear in 1 minute grin

I change gear in nano seconds, so i dont know whether i even touch neutral at all, you disengage gear with clutch and switch to desired side and engage gear again i doubt if it goes through neutral (though i may be wrong).

So onto next lesson
you can move a car at rest with gear 1 or 2, but the design is to move with gear 1, when you become a pro, you will ditch gear 1 especially in traffic. Gear 3, 4, 5 to infiniti will not move the car but stall the engine.

Now when upshifting you can skip gears but to be on a safer side i found that for a five speed manual, gear 4 is the most useless gear i have ever come across tongue it serves me no important purpose so you can move your gear in this order 1 to 2 to 3 you can skip 4 and jump onto 5, i have not driven manual gear with settings more than 5, iknow benz, bmw and some high end sports car have upto 6 manual gear settings.

When you skip an important gear like jumping from 1 straight to any higher gear (3,4,5 to infiniti), you are stressing the engine as you will notice the car doesnt get upto speed as intended besides some gear to me are of importance

Gear 1= The gear of unlimate momentum
Gear 2= Keeping the momentum stable
Gear 3= The baba of all gear, used in showcasing the prowess of your engine if you intend to
a) overtake
b) bringout the power in the engine (incase you intend to street race)
Gear 4= Owanbe
Gear 5= To maintain the maximum engine and gear power (especially during highway driving)

looooool, see as you finish me and my neutral gear shifting. it's OK though, I'm gonna be a pro soon. by my neutral talk though, I mean you'll still pass through neutral na even if it's for a nano millisecond

but I must say, this explanation is deep. now I truly understand a whole lot, seems I wasted cash for that my driving school o. I wasn't taught this much at all. thank you so very much.

so one can move from rest with gear 2? Probably there's a technique to it that I don't know yet as I've tried it but motor nor move. the car just revs, like when you clutch down and accelerate together. You are very right about gear 3, that one na baba gear. very strong.

I'm definitely taking a screenshot of this for constant reading, I really do appreciate it a lot!!!

hope I can mention you anytime I have further questions please?
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by revolt(m): 9:56pm On Apr 20, 2017
kendraloops:

hello sir. your post caught my attention. I want to know if it's OK to downshift from say like gear 5 to neutral and then gear 1. does it have any negative effect on the clutch or something?
summary.... must I downshift the same way I went up I. e from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1?
still a learner though and I get quite confused with this aspect. thanks sir.
depends on the speed. Basically gear selection is centred on reducing engine load or stress while attaining or maintaining maximum speed and thrust. For any experienced driver, its easy to determine the appropriate gear for particular sppeds but since ure a learner pls downshift systematically so u don't destroy ur clutch n gearbox. Capish

1 Like

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by revolt(m): 10:36pm On Apr 20, 2017
nurey:

your addition of neutral to the mix is quite funny, reminds me of the first day i actually played arcade game with steering wheel and manual gear. it would even be more funny watching you change gear in 1 minute grin

I change gear in nano seconds, so i dont know whether i even touch neutral at all, you disengage gear with clutch and switch to desired side and engage gear again i doubt if it goes through neutral (though i may be wrong).

So onto next lesson
you can move a car at rest with gear 1 or 2, but the design is to move with gear 1, when you become a pro, you will ditch gear 1 especially in traffic. Gear 3, 4, 5 to infiniti will not move the car but stall the engine.

Now when upshifting you can skip gears but to be on a safer side i found that for a five speed manual, gear 4 is the most useless gear i have ever come across tongue it serves me no important purpose so you can move your gear in this order 1 to 2 to 3 you can skip 4 and jump onto 5, i have not driven manual gear with settings more than 5, iknow benz, bmw and some high end sports car have upto 6 manual gear settings.

When you skip an important gear like jumping from 1 straight to any higher gear (3,4,5 to infiniti), you are stressing the engine as you will notice the car doesnt get upto speed as intended besides some gear to me are of importance

Gear 1= The gear of unlimate momentum
Gear 2= Keeping the momentum stable
Gear 3= The baba of all gear, used in showcasing the prowess of your engine if you intend to
a) overtake
b) bringout the power in the engine (incase you intend to street race)
Gear 4= Owanbe
Gear 5= To maintain the maximum engine and gear power (especially during highway driving)
gear 3 is the baba of all gears in certain cars ie German, French etc I have a 406, But I acquired a Honda DC manual 4cylinder 2.4 l(ofcos u know the auto of that car runs pretty fast, imagine what I do with the manual)it can take off like a v6. Well I discovered the gear 3 is slightly weaker than usual, and the baba gear is 2, which can take me from 20km/h to 120kmh in 5.7 seconds. Wondering why my gear 2 is that powerful without labouring the engine.
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by kendraloops(f): 11:11pm On Apr 20, 2017
revolt:
depends on the speed. Basically gear selection is centred on reducing engine load or stress while attaining or maintaining maximum speed and thrust. For any experienced driver, its easy to determine the appropriate gear for particular sppeds but since ure a learner pls downshift systematically so u don't destroy ur clutch n gearbox. Capish

Advice noted, thanks a lot!
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by nurey(m): 12:56am On Apr 21, 2017
kendraloops:

looooool, see as you finish me and my neutral gear shifting. it's OK though, I'm gonna be a pro soon. by my neutral talk though, I mean you'll still pass through neutral na even if it's for a nano millisecond

but I must say, this explanation is deep. now I truly understand a whole lot, seems I wasted cash for that my driving school o. I wasn't taught this much at all. thank you so very much.

so one can move from rest with gear 2? Probably there's a technique to it that I don't know yet as I've tried it but motor nor move. the car just revs, like when you clutch down and accelerate together. You are very right about gear 3, that one na baba gear. very strong.

I'm definitely taking a screenshot of this for constant reading, I really do appreciate it a lot!!!

hope I can mention you anytime I have further questions please?

Yes you can move from rest with gear 2, but the rpm for movement is around 1500 to 2000rpm.

Yes you can mention me anytime, I will assist any way I can.

Don't rush to be a pro, just take it one by one, am sure if you drive a manual as a daily driver in less than a year you will do wonders on the road.
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by nurey(m): 1:04am On Apr 21, 2017
revolt:
gear 3 is the baba of all gears in certain cars ie German, French etc I have a 406, But I acquired a Honda DC manual 4cylinder 2.4 l(ofcos u know the auto of that car runs pretty fast, imagine what I do with the manual)it can take off like a v6. Well I discovered the gear 3 is slightly weaker than usual, and the baba gear is 2, which can take me from 20km/h to 120kmh in 5.7 seconds. Wondering why my gear 2 is that powerful without labouring the engine.

I don't know how long you have been driving the DC but doing 120km in gear 2 will probably have your rpm @ 5 which I feel is stressing the engine and gear at that settings.

Though I know a lot of stunts can be pulled with the manual gear with the right settings.
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by abolore80(m): 6:29pm On Apr 21, 2017
though Auto is cool, but if you're a manual pro, you will always want manual. Manual isn't that stressful in traffic as people say or feel, it all depends on the proficiency and skill acquired overtime of the driver. A good manual gear driver knows the corresponding gear to the speed at play. This skill is acquired over the years, so only the pros can pull the stunt.
For the OP, go with your mind, if you have the money for auto go for it, and if its manual you eventually get '' i will still count you lucky'' as you stand to learn and gain alot with manual gear.

1 Like

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by kendraloops(f): 7:29pm On Apr 21, 2017
nurey:

Yes you can move from rest with gear 2, but the rpm for movement is around 1500 to 2000rpm.

Yes you can mention me anytime, I will assist any way I can.

Don't rush to be a pro, just take it one by one, am sure if you drive a manual as a daily driver in less than a year you will do wonders on the road.

OK, I'll really wish to be a pro soon. I was driving today and someone coming from behind was just blaring his horns like a mad man because he saw the "L" sign on my car, and he stopped after he passed me.

I was wondering what he wanted me to do, jump into the gutter I guess. And the road na double lane expressway o, d tin pain me no be small.

Thanks and sorry for my rants, lol.
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by nurey(m): 8:00pm On Apr 21, 2017
kendraloops:

OK, I'll really wish to be a pro soon. I was driving today and someone coming from behind was just blaring his horns like a mad man because he saw the "L" sign on my car, and he stopped after he passed me.

I was wondering what he wanted me to do, jump into the gutter I guess. And the road na double lane expressway o, d tin pain me no be small.

Thanks and sorry for my rants, lol.

Most Nigerian drivers have little or no regard for other road users, it's always advice able to keep calm and have at the back of your mind that if my car is bashed I will be delayed and eventually foot the bills. That is what I always have in mind when ever am driving that makes me a better driver and 2years I still have a clean sheet.

Other drivers will intimidate you with horn or swerve into you just to look for trouble but overlook their shortcomings and remain calm, am certain it will take you places

Goodluck

1 Like

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by revolt(m): 8:37pm On Apr 21, 2017
nurey:

I don't know how long you have been driving the DC but doing 120km in gear 2 will probably have your rpm @ 5 which I feel is stressing the engine and gear at that settings.

Though I know a lot of stunts can be pulled with the manual gear with the right settings.
yes I understand what you're saying but I noticed this particular car can do it without getting to red. I wouldn't dare try that with my 406. Its so powerful when u accelerate at that speed and change to gear three , the car actually screeches while in motion ie u know when u take your legs off the clutch while accelerating on gear one.(that trick every manual driver did as secondary school kids) now imagine that while on motion( 100kmh)... No way any automatic can pull that off.
Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by revolt(m): 8:44pm On Apr 21, 2017
kendraloops:

Advice noted, thanks a lot!
oya go n get ur manual straight up. Don't be a sissy like most lag drivers that condemn manual cos they simply can't drive it

1 Like

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by dollarnaira: 10:55am On May 10, 2017
Many years ago there was nothing like auto everyone drives manual without complaints. But as soon as auto gradually fill d environment men n women begins to to shift to auto n condemning manual. It is a trick the brain do to us by rejecting an old thing just bc an alternative has arrived.

The only time I had stress in my legs was when I was learning how to drive from 1st,2nd,3rd day.After sometimes my body got used to it.

DRIVING IS LIKE EXERCISING YOUR BODY FOR THE FIRST TIME,U MUST DEFINITELY FEEL PAIN.E.g Do push up to get necessary muscles flex today and tomorrow u l feel pain all over your body.But when u keep on with it daily,your body gets used to it without stress.Who get pained after washing clothes with their hands?Some will use washing machine which cannot manage your water,detergent and electricity bc it is automatic.

Summary:

Manual car:
*Few days of driving is stressful.
*Becomes very less stressful as u drive daily like exercises.
*Cheap to maintain bc you have already paid the rest with your legs(which disappears as time passes).
*Errors e.g bad battery and key starter can be manage by pushing the car to start.( No way for auto).
*Less fuel usage since you can control it.

Auto car:
*First day of driving is stress free.
*Expensive to maintain since you dont want to pay with your legs.
* Errors as above cannot be achieved.Never!!!
*More fuel usage since you want the car to drive U.

N.B: Price of Gear box of auto na die oooo.The choice is yours.

1 Like

Re: How Hard Is It To Drive A Manual Car In Lagos by segemafia(m): 2:49pm On May 10, 2017
You need to understand that not everyone of us are built for doing things the hard way..no matter what anyone can say as far as driving on Lagos roads is concerned,an Automatic is still the most preferable...its actually good to learn with a manual though..but on a good day who cares if you dont know how to drive a manual,so far you can move yourself from point A to point B then that is all that matters.

I work for an Auto dealership and i can categorically tell you that for Sedans and SUVs category everyone wants an Automatic,manual is only considered when you are looking at the Pickups and trucks which are majorly for commercial purpose..Summary based on Sales Statistics there is higher demand for automatic across all categories of vehicles as at now in Nigeria and most dealers would rather stock more autos than the manual that gets to sit more in your showroom.If anyone wants an exercise he or she could check into the gym and sweat it out there..driving to me should be pleasurable and not be a workout session.

Maintaining an Automatic is also not as crazy and expensive as u people made it sound,so far you use the recommended ATF which you might never get to change for years depending on your usage then you are good to go....Life is already stressful as it is why add more additional stress through driving around again...My own 2 cents

dollarnaira:
Many years ago there was nothing like auto everyone drives manual without complaints. But as soon as auto gradually fill d environment men n women begins to to shift to auto n condemning manual. It is a trick the brain do to us by rejecting an old thing just bc an alternative has arrived.

The only time I had stress in my legs was when I was learning how to drive from 1st,2nd,3rd day.After sometimes my body got used to it.

DRIVING IS LIKE EXERCISING YOUR BODY FOR THE FIRST TIME,U MUST DEFINITELY FEEL PAIN.E.g Do push up to get necessary muscles flex today and tomorrow u l feel pain all over your body.But when u keep on with it daily,your body gets used to it without stress.Who get pained after washing clothes with their hands?Some will use washing machine which cannot manage your water,detergent and electricity bc it is automatic.

Summary:

Manual car:
*Few days of driving is stressful.
*Becomes very less stressful as u drive daily like exercises.
*Cheap to maintain bc you have already paid the rest with your legs(which disappears as time passes).
*Errors e.g bad battery and key starter can be manage by pushing the car to start.( No way for auto).
*Less fuel usage since you can control it.

Auto car:
*First day of driving is stress free.
*Expensive to maintain since you dont want to pay with your legs.
* Errors as above cannot be achieved.Never!!!
*More fuel usage since you want the car to drive U.

N.B: Price of Gear box of auto na die oooo.The choice is yours.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Tips For Driving Inside The Rain / Which Is Better, Leather Seat Vs Cloth? / Nissan Creates Self-Parking Slippers,Tables & Cushions Based On ProPilot Tech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.