Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,116 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers (7756 Views)

Esan People Are Not Igbo! / Ochichi: A Possible Example Of 'igbonization' In The Etche-ikwerre Area? / Igbo Groups Of The South South ............the Etche People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by somegirl1: 5:59pm On Sep 06, 2016
HopeAtHand:
Using Onitsha as case study shows a people can lose their original language overtime simply because they settled in an environment that they are hugely outnumbered by the natives.

Ihuruohas case is simple to understand to an unbiased mind. Say a man leaves ghana with his wife and kids, settles in an area close to Owerri. Take note of his language and culture at that time. Come back after 500 yrs and study his language and cultural pattern
and make a submission.

The Riverine communities of Okrika and Kalabari will have little cultural effect on Ikwerres because they are far smaller and do not have common land boundaries with Us. They are communities you must use canoe to access. Even so, a substantial percentage of Bonny, Opobo and Okrika have Igbo ancestry, and this are towns that are Riverine. yet Igbos still found ways to supply those communities with human population, especially Opobo.

What does Ihuruoha mean in Bini?

4 Likes

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:47pm On Sep 06, 2016
somegirl1:

What does Ihuruoha mean in Bini?

From Iwhuruoha to Ihuruoha. Grasping at straws It's a shame. Ikwerre people are inferior and only an inferior will deny his identity.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by OdenigboAroli(m): 6:53pm On Sep 06, 2016
HopeAtHand:

a brief history of Onitsha will enlighten you on the history of a people and the reality of today.

[b]Onitsha Mmili was known as Ado N'Idu by
migrants who departed from the vicinity
of the Kingdom of Benin near the far
western portion of Igboland (near what is
now Agbor), after a violent dispute with
the Oba of Benin that can be tentatively
dated to the early 1500s.[4] Traveling
eastward through what is now Western
Igboland (and various towns also called
"Onitsha", for example Onicha-Ugbo,
"farmland-Onitsha". Folklore has it that,
Onitsha was founded by one of the sons
of Chima, the founder of Issele-Uku
kingdom in western Igboland. Chima, a
prince of the ancient Benin kingdom
emigrated, settled and founded now
known as Issele-Uku in Aniocha North
Local Government Area. The eldest son of
Chima eventually emigrated across the
Niger River to establish the Onitsha
community.
After their arrival on the east bank
(Onicha-mmili, "Onitsha-on-water", see
above), the community gradually became
a unitary kingdom, evolving from a loosely
organized group of "royal" villages to
encompass "non-royal" villages
comprising Igala settlers, and the native
Igbos to form a more centralized entity.[5]
Eze Aroli, was apparently the first
genuinely powerful Obi of Onitsha, the
ruler of the city.[/b]

Don't even go there with your ignorant Onicha example. Onicha were Igbo right from the beginning even before Ezechime left the Benin vicinity. There Onicha Ugbo,Onicha Olona and Issele Uku still speak Igbo till this day. You have no shame ,it must suck to be what you hate to be. Tufia!

4 Likes

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by Igboid: 8:05pm On Sep 06, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

From Iwhuruoha to Ihuruoha. Grasping at straws It's a shame. Ikwerre people are inferior and only an inferior will deny his identity.

There is no possible way those people had not twisted that word in futile attempts at making it sound non Igbo.

Iwhnruohna, Iwhuruoha, Ihnuronhna, Ihnurunhnah, etc. It's really pathetic.

6 Likes

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by PreciousBro: 8:57pm On Sep 06, 2016
Personally, i dont give a rat-ãss about a people who are so stûpid enough to not see that the yearning to be different from a major ethnic group as igbo has some bias political force to it and was even post civil war.

A people who deny their igboness and cannot see that we have only been divided along political lines are already a lost people of hopelessness.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by ChinenyeN(m): 12:33am On Sep 07, 2016
It is one thing to discuss (as intelligently as possible) the misrepresentation of historical relations in the case of Ikwerre. It is another thing to come in here and attempt to shame someone or a whole people over a name you know likely know nothing about. In other words, if you know you do not have sufficient knowledge to speak on the name Iwhnerneohna, then simply keep your mouth shut.

2 Likes

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by Igboid: 8:56am On Sep 07, 2016
ChinenyeN:
It is one thing to discuss (as intelligently as possible) the misrepresentation of historical relations in the case of Ikwerre. It is another thing to come in here and attempt to shame someone or a whole people over a name you know likely know nothing about. In other words, if you know you do not have sufficient knowledge to speak on the name Iwhnerneohna, then simply keep your mouth shut.

Lol! This one has come up with a new one. "IWEHERNEOHNA" grin.

This can't get funnier. No one is shaming Ikwerre people, they are doing a better job of shaming themselves with their childish irrational distortions of their history. We reserve every right to enjoy the entertainment they are providing us free of charge.

8 Likes

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by OdenigboAroli(m): 10:03am On Sep 07, 2016
Inaluo isi nna yi "shut up"!

1 Like

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by ChinenyeN(m): 12:05pm On Sep 07, 2016
No Igboid. You don't reserve any right. You have no idea what the name is, nor what it means, nor how it is pronounced. You are only making yourself (and by extension, the rest of Igbo) look dumb.

Getting "entertainment" from someone else's name and attempting to shame them for their name (spelling, pronunciation or otherwise) is something unlearned people do. If you want to discuss Ikwerre people remixing history for the sake of something simple like self-determination, then sure. Feel free, but know your limit. You argument becomes weak once you start down this road of ridiculing that which you know nothing about, not to even talk about it being a name that isn't even yours to answer in the first place. That is childish behavior and does nothing to further a discussion nor buttress your point.

2 Likes

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by Igboid: 1:06pm On Sep 07, 2016
ChinenyeN:
No Igboid. You don't reserve any right. You have no idea what the name is, nor what it means, nor how it is pronounced. You are only making yourself (and by extension, the rest of Igbo) look dumb.

Getting "entertainment" from someone else's name and attempting to shame them for their name (spelling, pronunciation or otherwise) is something unlearned people do. If you want to discuss Ikwerre people remixing history for the sake of something simple like self-determination, then sure. Feel free, but know your limit. You argument becomes weak once you start down this road of ridiculing that which you know nothing about, not to even talk about it being a name that isn't even yours to answer in the first place. That is childish behavior and does nothing to further a discussion nor buttress your point.

Lol! It's a free world out there, you get treated the way you present yourself.

What exactly are you rambling about? It is you who know not your limit. You are Ngwa and not an Ikwerre, so maybe it's time you stick to your Ngwa history.

I have never seen Ikwerre people spell that word as "Iwhenerneohna", you are the ignorant one who feigns knowledge,which is all too comical to see, but even at that it all suits the whole point of this discussion. Once one start tampering with and distorting the history of his people, ignorant peeps will also come in to help them tamper it into a subject of mockery.

Hence a simple word such has "Ihu- Oha", underwent distortions that went through Ihru- Oha, IhuruOha, Ihnruohna, Iwhnruohna, and now the latest in town, Iwhenerneohna.

It's all a comic relief, and one can't help seeing it as such.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by ChinenyeN(m): 11:15pm On Sep 07, 2016
You need to relax. I only posted here because I honestly believed you were making some substantive contributions to the topic, and I did not want this moment of unnecessary childishness on your part to destroy the actual point you have been making this entire time. Yet, you insist on continuing to be childish, chipping away at whatever credibility you had established in this thread. That is my own opinion. I wanted this thread to continue and I wanted to see more of your contributions to see what exactly you would add next to the discussion.

1 Like

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by omonnakoda: 10:21pm On Sep 30, 2016
Etche people are Igbo ,that should not even be a subject of debate. Ikwerres are a different matter entirely.

2 Likes

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by jayrule(m): 7:59am On Oct 01, 2016
Did you all notice?

Umunoha could be the same with Iwhrunoha

1 Like

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by Noneroone(m): 9:23pm On Jan 06, 2017
Lalasticlala pls take this back to politics where it originally belongs.

1 Like

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by Afam4eva(m): 9:25pm On Jan 06, 2017
[quote author=omonnakoda post=49812901]Etche people are Igbo ,that should not even be a subject of debate. Ikwerres are a different matter entirely.[/quote
Why do you think Etche people are Igbo but Ikwerres are not. Be sincere in your submission.
Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by cheruv: 1:12pm On Jan 07, 2017
Ihuruoha is the real name of the ikwerre...I think we should stop calling them ikwerre and start calling them IHURUOHA or even shorten it to IhuOha cool
Dee Hopeathand what do you think?

1 Like

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by paramakina202: 12:13am On Apr 27, 2017
cheruv:
Ihuruoha is the real name of the ikwerre...I think we should stop calling them ikwerre and start calling them IHURUOHA or even shorten it to IhuOha cool
Dee Hopeathand what do you think?

That is good suggestion grin
In fact Ihuoha is dope!
Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by UgwuAghachi: 5:47pm On Sep 05, 2018
Interesting read
Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by LadySarah: 2:05am On Sep 08, 2018
My Etche bf disagrees with the Op.His father is a traditional ruler there and he categorically told me he is Igbo.

I made sure I spoke Igbo with him when we spoke even though we could hardly understand each other but we tried.

1 Like

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 09, 2018
LadySarah:
My Etche bf disagrees with the Op.His father is a traditional ruler there and he categorically told me he is Igbo.

I made sure I spoke Igbo with him when we spoke even though we could hardly understand each other but we tried.
Depends on the individual undecided

2 Likes

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by Banmeallday: 6:56pm On Sep 09, 2018
Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by Revolva(m): 1:07pm On Sep 12, 2018
well its up to them i know some

Etche (Echie) is a subgroup of the Igbo people occupying parts of Rivers State, Abia State and Imo State in Southern Nigeria. The Etche people inhabit two Local Government Areas (LGA) of Rivers State, namely Etche Local Government Area and Omuma LGA. Etche/Omuma is a Nigerian National Assembly constituency.

they are Igbo by ancestry ..ok so they are igbos

3 Likes

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by bigfrancis21: 7:29am On Sep 13, 2018
LadySarah:

Depends on the individual. Some are fiercely anti-Igbo and some have no problems with being Igbo.

4 Likes

Re: Etche Of River State Are Not Igbo--igbo Are Landgrabbers by hitmanogo: 8:50am On Nov 01, 2020
Etche is igbo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Seadog Confraternity / How To Treat Genital Warts & Prevent Them From Coming Back / Fulani Language Too Different From Country To Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.