Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,052 members, 7,807,162 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:31 AM

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) - Foreign Affairs (299) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) (6138847 Views)

Am I The Only One Whos Tired Of This Kenya Is Ahead Thread / Femi Adesina: "I Don't Lie, No Matter What"; Nigerians React / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) ... (9933) (Go Down)

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by khoiboy1(m): 4:41pm On Feb 24, 2017
[quote author=Muafrika2 post=54019957]Do you people ↑↑↑↑↑↑ need a mediator? grin[/quote

HEHEHEHE... leave em 2 love love birds alone bro... smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by naijalander: 4:58pm On Feb 24, 2017
Nigeria remains exceptional. Doesn't matter what these people say. We dah best!
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 5:04pm On Feb 24, 2017
[quote author=khoiboy1 post=54021818][/quote]

He he grin grin
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by jordinsparkles(f): 5:34pm On Feb 24, 2017
LeSudAfricaine:
in typical Nairaland fashion, you have nothing better to say so you resort to insults. No wonder your country is such a zoo
and yours is Hell, if my country is a zoo which ofcourse its not then what are u doing here on Nairaland dummy? Look if you have nothing useful to say *which is obvious* its best that you get lost or better still go and play with babies. HIV stricken country!
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 5:56pm On Feb 24, 2017
Olu317:
what are Kenyans emphasising really? Kenyan with low productivity and less industrialisation. What is the essence of having being electrified 60% without relative impact on wealth creation?. Kenya is 3/4 on the downward trend compared to Nigeria. Do you know how much a foreign communication network,using MTN as a case study generate annually in Nigeria? Despite the herculean challenges.

MTN NIGERIA WAS FINED HEAVILY YET THEY KNEW THEY HAVE A LOT TO LOOSE

Africa’s largest mobile operator has been fined $3.9 billion in Nigeria for failing to disconnect users of unregistered SIM cards.
MTN, which makes about 37 percent of its revenue from Nigeria, has filed a court challenge over the fine, which equates to more than twice its annual average capital spending over the pastDespite this fine, they were jittery that they had to settle out of court with the communication regulatory authority

South African telecommunications giant, MTN Group released its full year to December 2012 Financial Statement, which shows revenue of R135.1 billion ($14.67 billion) up from R121.8 billion ($13.15 billion) a year earlier.
As expected, a huge chunk (29 percent) of the company’s revenue came from MTN’s Nigerian unit which raked in about 774 billion naira ($4.2 billion). This represents an 11 percent increase over the same period in Rand terms.
In terms of EBITDA margin (Earnings before tax depreciation and amortization), the company made a total R58.6 billion ($6.36 billion) or about 43 percent of revenues. Though, slightly lower than the 44 percent margin obtained a year earlier, the figure is rather impressive considering the global economic Zeitgeist.

The bitter truth is that Nigeria far ahead of Kenya by far and large.
Last I checked Kenya's Economy GREW by 6% in 2016.
Meanwhile Nigeria was having a RECESSION.
What was it about low productivity again?
As for Industrialization, the aim is to first connect Domestic consumers.They pay higher tariffs as compared to Industrial ones(And Kenya's Domestic consumer tarrif is still lower than Nigeria's at $0.13 per KWh as compared to Nigeria's $0.19 per KWh)
And who said we are not Industrializing??|
Kenya is building the standard gauge railway to Naivasha for a specific reason, to estabilish an industrial park with easy access to the railway and by extension, the Port and to cheap and reliable geothermal power from the steam wells located in the area
http://mobile.nation.co.ke/lifestyle/Naivasha-investors-upbeat-on-prospect-of-new-rail-link/1950774-2737100-format-xhtml-wgh6ldz/index.html
And btw, Kenya is by faaaar more productive than Nigeria.
That can be seen in Agriculture alone, Nigeria virtually imports everything, even basic foodstuffs while Kenya is a food exporter, despite 80% of Kenya being arid or being a Park.The only times we have to import food is during times of severe drought.
Productivity is measured by the hours worked, which are very few in Nigeria where power blackouts are daily phenomenon, unlike much of Kenya where one can go for months without any power interruption.
Notice the most hardworking people in the world ,the Japanese have their factories mainly in ...Not Nigeria or South Africa.
Even General Electric with all the investments in Nigeria like the GE Garage, are headquartered in Nairobi.So is IBM which snubbed you guys,same to Nokia, same to Visa, same to so many well known multinational brands.That tells a lot about Nigeria.
MTN Nigeria, you mean the MTN we all know is 75.81% owned by MTNI a maurituius based South African entity Smh!!Safaricom is owned by Kenyans 60% and Vodafone 40%(And please note Vodafone Kenya has Kenyan shareholders alongside Vodafone Plc like Mobitelea). It started as a Government parastatal. Kenyan through and through!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by gallivant: 12:07am On Feb 25, 2017
naijalander:
I've been to Kigali a couple of times and I stil don't get the hype. Totally overrated. Don't see what they have that Nigeria doesn't have.

They have a functioning society.

4 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 12:16am On Feb 25, 2017
GERALD710:

As for Industrialization, the aim is to first connect Domestic consumers.They pay higher tariffs as compared to Industrial ones(And Kenya's Domestic consumer tarrif is still lower than Nigeria's at $0.13 per KWh as compared to Nigeria's $0.19 per KWh)
Kenya is building the standard gauge railway to Naivasha for a specific reason, to estabilish an industrial park with easy access to the railway and by extension, the Port and to cheap and reliable geothermal power from the steam wells located in the area
http://mobile.nation.co.ke/lifestyle/Naivasha-investors-upbeat-on-prospect-of-new-rail-link/1950774-2737100-format-xhtml-wgh6ldz/index.html
That can be seen in Agriculture alone, Nigeria virtually imports everything, even basic foodstuffs while Kenya is a food exporter, despite 80% of Kenya being arid or being a Park.The only times we have to import food is during times of severe drought.
Productivity is measured by the hours worked, which are very few in Nigeria where power blackouts are daily phenomenon, unlike much of Kenya where one can go for months without any power interruption.
Notice the most hardworking people in the world ,the Japanese have their factories mainly in ...Not Nigeria or South Africa.
Even General Electric with all the investments in Nigeria like the GE Garage, are headquartered in Nairobi.So is IBM which snubbed you guys,same to Nokia, same to Visa, same to so many well known multinational brands.That tells a lot about Nigeria.
MTN Nigeria, you mean the MTN we all know is 75.81% owned by MTNI a maurituius based South African entity Smh!!Safaricom is owned by Kenyans 60% and Vodafone 40%(And please note Vodafone Kenya has Kenyan shareholders alongside Vodafone Plc like Mobitelea). It started as a Government parastatal. Kenyan through and through!!
You simply didn't answer the question. Should I rephrase it or what? Give me one name of a Telecom in Kenya. Don't refer me to South Africa but in KENYA whose asset and liability is worth 2billion$. Then you and I can begin from there.
Little do you know that every country do have it fair share when it comes economy crisis. And Nigeria can't be fault free. Despite all these herculean challenges, she still thrive in the midst of Africa Nation. Lagos state is adjudged as one the largest economy in Africa. What does it imply?, Mentioning Headquarters of world organisations situated in Nairobi,as far as am concern is because of the location and has nothing to do with your GDP. The acclaim 6% is just a paper work to woo the western investors to come your country that isnt viable if compared with Nigeria.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 12:47am On Feb 25, 2017
GERALD710:

Safaricom (Kenya)

With Bob Collymore as CEO, Safaricom is the largest mobile service provider in Kenya and was formed in 1997 while being a fully owned subsidiary of Telkom Kenya. Two years ago the UK-based mobile service company Vodafone, acquired a 40% share in the company. At the end of 2010 Safaricom had approx. 12-million subscribers, with most of the residing in Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu and Nakuru. Safaricom managed to boost their subscriber numbers in 2012 by being the first east African nation to provide its users with 3G technology – while 4G is also on the cards.
Revenue for 2011: $1.3-billion

A GUYANA MAN FROM SOUTH AFRICA ISN'T A KENYAN?
Robert William Collymore aka Bob Collymore was born in 1958 in Guyana. He lived with his grandmother since his mother lived in the UK.
At age 12 he realized he had an interest in art where he started making art pieces using plasticine sent to him by his mother from the UK. He sold them and made good money. Thats where his business acumen was nurtured.
At age 16 he landed his first job in a departmental store in the UK where he worked from as early as 6 AM until the store was closed when he would sweep it

A NIGERIAN THOROUGH BREED
Mike Adenuga is a business mogul from Nigeria, and the second wealthiest person in the country. He is the owner of
Globacom which is Nigeria’s second-largest telecom operator which also has operators in Ghana and Benin.

TRUTH IS CLEAR AS A CRYSTAL....
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by iblawi(m): 7:01am On Feb 25, 2017
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by mkenya254: 8:45am On Feb 25, 2017
Eastwalk:
@mkenya254 See what I mean when i say u kenyans grin give dump claim the link u provided is updated in 24 july 2016, while the one obaaderemi gave was in 22 february 2017 today. so u mean today is outdated and last year is the latest... u guy ehnn smhnnngrin grin grin grin grin

You see why Nigerians are called loud mouths throughout the entire world. You have been clearly told the last world Bank survey was in 2012. The stats I have given you were by the company in charge of power distribution throughout Kenya and they were 2016 stats. Don't be an arrogant loud mouth broda
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by mkenya254: 8:54am On Feb 25, 2017
naijalander:
What do you mean there are never blackouts, there are blackouts all over Eastlands common dude.

Are they as many as those in the Lagos CBD...Lol? There are as few as 5 blackouts a month in a low income neighbourhood as Eastlands while Victoria Island and even Lekki doesn't have constant power on ANY day of the week..Lol..Over 30 blackouts a month. I can only pray for low income neighbourhoods like Yaba

Nigeria is a funny country. Claims to have used all their electricity on industrialization yet they import almost everything, they have no power in their homes. Godamn...Even a 5 star hotel can't keep lights on for 24hrs a day, what about a common citizen?? Funny thing is that all these big buildings being shown here are so noisy due to constant humming of generators...lol

The sooner you come to terms that local cartels who are vendors of generators and oil are behind your low access to electricity that is when you will get somewhere.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Eastwalk(m): 9:56am On Feb 25, 2017
mkenya254:

You see why Nigerians are called loud mouths throughout the entire world. You have been clearly told the last world Bank survey was in 2012. The stats I have given you were by the company in charge of power distribution throughout Kenya and they were 2016 stats. Don't be an arrogant loud mouth broda
Mteeeeew please don't quote me anymore I am doing okay in the other tread

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 4:25pm On Feb 25, 2017
naijalander:
I've been to Kigali a couple of times and I stil don't get the hype. Totally overrated. Don't see what they have that Nigeria doesn't have.

They're clean. What does Nigeria have that Kigali doesn't? The problem with some of you guys is - any statistics about an African country that's positive is an overate unless it's about Nigeria. Interestingly you'll force yourself to believe negative statistics from the same countries no matter how absurd they are - like how some of you here are adamant that Kibera has 2.5 million people. lol

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 4:47pm On Feb 25, 2017
Olu317:
You simply didn't answer the question. Should I rephrase it or what? Give me one name of a Telecom in Kenya. Don't refer me to South Africa but in KENYA whose asset and liability is worth 2billion$. Then you and I can begin from there.
Little do you know that every country do have it fair share when it comes economy crisis. And Nigeria can't be fault free. Despite all these herculean challenges, she still thrive in the midst of Africa Nation. Lagos state is adjudged as one the largest economy in Africa. What does it imply?, Mentioning Headquarters of world organisations situated in Nairobi,as far as am concern is because of the location and has nothing to do with your GDP. The acclaim 6% is just a paper work to woo the western investors to come your country that isnt viable if compared with Nigeria.

Your boisterous attitude is incurable. It's stupid to boast when you know nothing though. Safaricom has a revenue of over $2 billion. It is a way bigger company that your much hyped Glo. Please, get informed about the rest of the continent and stop living in your bubble. Below is a list of top 50 largest African companies. Safaricom is number 26 at $5.7 billion in 2014 (up from number 47 the previous year - you can guess where it is now) and no Nigerian telecommunications company features.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 7:38pm On Feb 25, 2017
NairobiWalker:

Your boisterous attitude is incurable. It's stupid to boast when you know nothing though. Safaricom has a revenue of over $2 billion. It is a way bigger company that your much hyped Glo. Please, get informed about the rest of the continent and stop living in your bubble. Below is a list of top 50 largest African companies. Safaricom is number 26 at $5.7 billion in 2014 (up from number 47 the previous year - you can guess where it is now) and no Nigerian telecommunications company features.
You are a big liar. Is safaricom solely own by Guyana guy who even isn't a Kenyan? But immigrant, Or is he not? 40% of safaricom belong to which company? kindly write it out. I asked you to mention a Kenyan and not a South African who just dabble into Kenya in a nearly monotonous Telecom sector where people had no advanced knowledge telephony.Why is your safaricom or gafariom or whatever name it being called and be named as the most innovative and technologically advanced Telecom Company in Africa in the recent survey?.Kenya remind me of old Nigeria when NITEL was the only Telecom company yet her service was poor. Let liberation gain access to that your economy and all safaricom 19million+ subscribers will be reduced drastically. Here you are gallivanting over a foreigner's asset who isn't among the top three richest men in Africa. Let Kenyans go and work harder to achieve being a proud indigenous self Telecom giant like a enigmatic and visionary Chief Mike Adenuga who saw beyond his time.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 8:32pm On Feb 25, 2017
Olu317:
You are a big liar. Is safaricom solely own by Guyana guy who even isn't a Kenyan? But immigrant, Or is he not? 40% of safaricom belong to which company? kindly write it out. I asked you to mention a Kenyan and not a South African who just dabble into Kenya in a nearly monotonous Telecom sector where people had no advanced knowledge telephony.Why is your safaricom or gafariom or whatever name it being called and be named as the most innovative and technologically advanced Telecom Company in Africa in the recent survey?.Kenya remind me of old Nigeria when NITEL was the only Telecom company yet her service was poor. Let liberation gain access to that your economy and all safaricom 19million+ subscribers will be reduced drastically. Here you are gallivanting over a foreigner's asset who isn't among the top three richest men in Africa. Let Kenyans go and work harder to achieve being a proud indigenous self Telecom giant like a enigmatic and visionary Chief Mike Adenuga who saw beyond his time.

What are you even talking about? Bob Collymore has no shares in Safaricom......and what South African are you talking about? Which foreigners are you talking about that apparently own Safaricom assets? Dude, you're sick......and who's this madman who voted an imaginary Nigerian company as the best technologically? And why is the imaginary company not in the top 50 largest companies on the continent? This dude is sick.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 10:03pm On Feb 25, 2017
NairobiWalker:

What are you even talking about? Bob Collymore has no shares in Safaricom......and what South African are you talking about? Which foreigners are you talking about that apparently own Safaricom assets? Dude, you're sick......and who's this madman who voted an imaginary Nigerian company as the best technologically? And why is the imaginary company not in the top 50 largest companies on the continent? This dude is sick.
From South America I meant and not South Africa. I was specifically referring to the continent he came from.That was typo error despite that you still need to go to school to study. Do you know why?

Is the CEO of a Company Always the Majority Shareholder?
In any business, a chief executive officer is pilot of the ship, the individual who makes the final strategic decisions about products, markets, budgets and personnel. On the CEO's shoulders weighs the responsibility of setting out goals and establishing a culture that inspires employees. Traditional corporate structure begins with a CEO at the top of the chart -- but majority shareholder may be another individual, investor group or corporate parent.

Majority Shareholders and Company Size
A chief executive may be the majority shareholder in the company, but in a public corporation of any size, normally is not. Large companies have market capitalizations (total share value) in the hundreds of billions. Their investors may include large institutions, mutual funds, pension funds, hedge funds and banks, all of which have sufficient financial resources to hold big blocks of shares. The smaller the company, the more likely that the CEO will be the majority shareholder or -- in many cases --the only one

Stock Options and Insider Holdings
This does not mean CEOs don't hold large blocks of shares. CEOs and directors of many small companies earn stock options as part (or all) of their compensation. Outside investors consider a significant investment in the company a sign of good faith; federal law requires disclosure of these "insider" holdings in a market-listed company. When a CEO or other officer buys or sells stock, that activity is reported to the Securities and Exchange Commission on a 10-Q form and available to the public through the SEC's Edgar database.
Majority Shares and Influence
If a small-company CEO is not the majority shareholder, she may need to consider carefully the outlook of the individual, or group, that does hold that position. Although some investors are relatively passive, others take an active role, and the majority shareholder often can swing important votes, such as an election of officers or the decision on whether or not to merge with another company. If a majority shareholder feels the CEO is not meeting the requirements of the job, he can also request (or demand) the CEO's resignation or force a vote on the matter

Closely Held Companies
In smaller companies and start-ups, a chief executive officer often is the individual who founded the business and who remains the principal shareholder. Corporate structure and executive positions are not defined by stock holdings, but in cases where a CEO also happens to be a majority shareholder, the company is "closely held" and less subject to shareholder votes and demands. This is the reason many closely held companies resist going public, even after many years of success. For example, Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, resisted a public offering of shares for many years before accepting the need to take the business public.

Apart from the 35% owned by Kenya's government , the rest are Vodafone 40% while 25% to the public(free float). Do you have knowledge at all on stocks? or Pooling in Economics? you have to be lettered engage me. Mention one Kenya, j said or forget it.. Sleep on it
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Eastwalk(m): 10:41pm On Feb 25, 2017
NairobiWalker:

I do know glo has more subscribers than safaricom. Instead of throwing insults to a more exposed fella. And fabricating lies. Please make your claim substantial glo is in 6th position of the networks with highest subscribers when your safaricom is 9th position. www.africantelecomnews.com/Operators/Regulators/List_of_101_Top_African_mobile_operators.html

The owner of glo rank second as the richest men in tech in Africa, the owner of safaricom does not even rank top 10 when two shareholders in MTN Nigeria and the chairman of airtel ranks. www.itnewsafrica.com/2015/10/africas-top-10-richest-in-tech/

SAFARICOM REVENUE ======$1,428

Stop lying

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 4:52am On Feb 26, 2017
Olu317:
From South America I meant and not South Africa. I was specifically referring to the continent he came from.That was typo error despite that you still need to go to school to study. Do you know why?

Is the CEO of a Company Always the Majority Shareholder?
In any business, a chief executive officer is pilot of the ship, the individual who makes the final strategic decisions about products, markets, budgets and personnel. On the CEO's shoulders weighs the responsibility of setting out goals and establishing a culture that inspires employees. Traditional corporate structure begins with a CEO at the top of the chart -- but majority shareholder may be another individual, investor group or corporate parent.

Majority Shareholders and Company Size
A chief executive may be the majority shareholder in the company, but in a public corporation of any size, normally is not. Large companies have market capitalizations (total share value) in the hundreds of billions. Their investors may include large institutions, mutual funds, pension funds, hedge funds and banks, all of which have sufficient financial resources to hold big blocks of shares. The smaller the company, the more likely that the CEO will be the majority shareholder or -- in many cases --the only one

Stock Options and Insider Holdings
This does not mean CEOs don't hold large blocks of shares. CEOs and directors of many small companies earn stock options as part (or all) of their compensation. Outside investors consider a significant investment in the company a sign of good faith; federal law requires disclosure of these "insider" holdings in a market-listed company. When a CEO or other officer buys or sells stock, that activity is reported to the Securities and Exchange Commission on a 10-Q form and available to the public through the SEC's Edgar database.
Majority Shares and Influence
If a small-company CEO is not the majority shareholder, she may need to consider carefully the outlook of the individual, or group, that does hold that position. Although some investors are relatively passive, others take an active role, and the majority shareholder often can swing important votes, such as an election of officers or the decision on whether or not to merge with another company. If a majority shareholder feels the CEO is not meeting the requirements of the job, he can also request (or demand) the CEO's resignation or force a vote on the matter

Closely Held Companies
In smaller companies and start-ups, a chief executive officer often is the individual who founded the business and who remains the principal shareholder. Corporate structure and executive positions are not defined by stock holdings, but in cases where a CEO also happens to be a majority shareholder, the company is "closely held" and less subject to shareholder votes and demands. This is the reason many closely held companies resist going public, even after many years of success. For example, Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Facebook, resisted a public offering of shares for many years before accepting the need to take the business public.

Apart from the 35% owned by Kenya's government , the rest are Vodafone 40% while 25% to the public(free float). Do you have knowledge at all on stocks? or Pooling in Economics? you have to be lettered engage me. Mention one Kenya, j said or forget it.. Sleep on it

Thank you captain obvious.
What a load of crap. Not even related to what I said or your earlier assertions. Like I said, you're incurable. Continue living in your bubble.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 5:16am On Feb 26, 2017
Eastwalk:
I do know glo has more subscribers than safaricom. Instead of throwing insults to a more exposed fella. And fabricating lies. Please make your claim substantial glo is in 6th position of the networks with highest subscribers when your safaricom is 9th position. www.africantelecomnews.com/Operators/Regulators/List_of_101_Top_African_mobile_operators.html

The owner of glo rank second as the richest men in tech in Africa, the owner of safaricom does not even rank top 10 when two shareholders in MTN Nigeria and the chairman of airtel ranks. www.itnewsafrica.com/2015/10/africas-top-10-richest-in-tech/

Stop lying

Now who did I insult and what are my insults?

Dude, you're not exposed. You simply googled 'Safaricom revenues' and took the figure that popped up. You didn't even look at the year yet it's clearly indicated there. That's not how exposed people reason. The figure you posted is of 2013. Safaricom has grown very fast since 2013. remember in 2013 it was the 47th biggest company in Africa, a year later in 2014 it rised to number 27. See, in December 2014 Safcom was worth $5.7 billion, just three months later in March 2015 it had rised to $6.3 billion. I don't have it's full data for 2016 but they released their revenue data to the public and it was $2.1 billion.

You don't make it even better when you embarrass yourself but speaking like you don't even understand what's being discussed. We are not talking about owners or richest men in Africa. We are talking about Glo and Safaricom where your friend claimed Kenya has no telecoms country with over $2 billion assets and liability and I showed him the data above where in 2014 Safaricom was worth $5.7 billion and rising fast while Glo wasn't even in the top 50 African biggest companies.

You've gone ahead and posted a useless ranking from a random blog that claims to rank the best Mobile network operators based on the subscribers opinion (lol, as if the blogger talked to all subscribers). What has that got to do with this? Even if your data was correct don't you realize in an opinion ranking the biggest company can rank at the bottom while the smallest can rank at the top? And you call yourself exposed?
And why are you even posting Mike Adenuga's photo? Glo is owned by an individual. Safaricom is owned by the government and several other Kenyan and non Kenyan shareholders. Mike Adenuga being rich doesn't make Glo bigger than Safaricom. So sad for a self proclaimed exposed fellow. Just like with your friend Olu above, I almost lost IQ points responding to you.
Please give me a break.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 6:51am On Feb 26, 2017
NairobiWalker:

Thank you captain obvious.
What a load of crap. Not even related to what I said or your earlier assertions. Like I said, you're incurable. Continue living in your bubble.
It is obvious you didn't go to school. I am not the type that will use vulgar words on a forum of this nature else I would have dealt a blow of loaf of it at you. what was my earlier assertion?
They are;
Bob Colly isn't a Kenyan
He own safaricom- His owning safaricom has a lot of under tone to it. You can't be a C.E.O without being a shareholder with quantifiable amount of stocks in your kitty. You obviously don't read. 65% inclusive Vodafone 40% are owned by human beings and not a ghost. I didn't read about having knowledge on stocks and company and allied
matters on pages of newspaper but studied it at the University. Now, go back and read the reason I forwarded the definition of a C.E.O. to you so as get acquainted with it and don't write about a subject matter because you want to be patriotic and blinded to the truth and reality. I don't even want to go into details of subscribers of either safaricom or Glo. But facts don't lie.

Mention a Kenyan, who is a Telecom business guru that owns a telecommunications out fit that is valued at 2billion$

Glo was the first Telecom Company in Africa which started with fibre Optic installation.

Chief Mike Adenuga is a Nigerian and the only African who is the only Telecom business guru among the Top three richest men in Africa Continent. Glo is not even listed in the stock of exchange in Nigeria.

As you can read, clearly, I didn't digress but wrote aptly except only when I wanted to be specific about Bob Colly's origin, which I corrected swiftly. So kindly inform us on the name of any Kenyan with such Telecom background? The truth is none exist in Kenya's world. I need not use derogatory words with but to press home the point so that you can learn. Morning to you “ learner", Perhaps it is more accurate to use a more dignifying word like,“ my student"
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MrMaestro: 7:23am On Feb 26, 2017
NairobiWalker:

You don't make it even better when you embarrass yourself but speaking like you don't even understand what's being discussed. We are not talking about owners or richest men in Africa. We are talking about Glo and Safaricom where your friend claimed Kenya has no telecoms country with over $2 billion assets and liability and I showed him the data above where in 2014 Safaricom was worth $5.7 billion and rising fast while Glo wasn't even in the top 50 African biggest companies.

You've gone ahead and posted a useless ranking from a random blog that claims to rank the best Mobile network operators based on the subscribers opinion (lol, as if the blogger talked to all subscribers). What has that got to do with this? Even if your data was correct don't you realize in an opinion ranking the biggest company can rank at the bottom while the smallest can rank at the top? And you call yourself exposed?
And why are you even posting Mike Adenuga's photo? Glo is owned by an individual. Safaricom is owned by the government and several other Kenyan and non Kenyan shareholders. Mike Adenuga being rich doesn't make Glo bigger than Safaricom. So sad for a self proclaimed exposed fellow. Just like with your friend Olu above, I almost lost IQ points responding to you.
Please give me a break.

I don't know if you're just this dense, or if you just don't want to comprehend what most people have already told you. Safaricom isn't a Kenyan company, because it isn't OWNED by a Kenyan. It is a multinational company in kenya. So Safaricom's size is irrelevant. If we're going on size alone and not ownership, then MTN in Nigeria DWARFS Safaricom, but it isn't Nigerian owned. Glo is founded and owned by a Nigerian. And it is hugely successful. If you can't breed individuals to be creators or founders of huge companies, like Mike Adenuga for telecoms, Aliko Dangote in commodities, Tony Elumelu in investments, or others such billionaires, then what are you touting? That other people came into Kenya and got rich? That's nothing to brag about.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 7:43am On Feb 26, 2017
MrMaestro:

I don't know if you're just this dense, or if you just don't want to comprehend what most people have already told you. Safaricom isn't a Kenyan company, because it isn't OWNED by a Kenyan. It is a multinational company in kenya. So Safaricom's size is irrelevant. If we're going on size alone and not ownership, then MTN in Nigeria DWARFS Safaricom, but it isn't Nigerian owned. Glo is founded and owned by a Nigerian. And it is hugely successful. If you can't breed individuals to be creators or founders of huge companies, like Mike Adenuga for telecoms, Aliko Dangote in commodities, Tony Elumelu in investments, or others such billionaires, then what are you touting? That other people came into Kenya and got rich? That's nothing to brag about.

Funny how you guys use such foul language yet anyone else does something close to that and you're all over crying.

Safaricom was found by Kenyans. Vodafone bought in shares later. Safaricom was started by Telecom Kenya. Kenyan government and Kenyan shareholders own 65℅ of Safaricom. The remaining 35℅ is owned by Vodafone Kenya which is also partly owned by Kenyans. Thus Safaricom is a brainchild of Kenya that is over 80℅ Kenya owned. You have to be a special kind of thick to compare it with MTN which is a fully SA company found in SA and invested in Nigeria.

......and a company doesn't have to be owned by a single billionaire to be owned by natives. I honestly see nothing to brag about a few individuals bleeding an economy dry to become billionaires while many Nigerians can collectively own companies without being exploited. See, you guys are so proud of those handful billionaires who exploited you to get where they are while in other sane countries that's exactly what people are fighting against - it's called the establishment. It's where a few people connected to the government exploit the rest of the country and become super rich. Here in Kenya people are already questioning how a few super rich individuals connected to the government make lots of money and the consensus is we shouldn't end up like Nigeria while there you foolishly think we envy you.

Shifting goals in an argument is a sign of losing and that's exactly what you guys are doing.

Anyway, you can continue living in your bubble like your fellow idiot Olu up there who thinks Bob Collymore, somebody with a net worth of $1.9 MILLION is the owner of Safaricom, a company whose worth is approaching $10 BILLION.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 7:55am On Feb 26, 2017
Eastwalk:

Stop lying
You are comparing things that are not related.

Having more subscription is not automatically more profit.

And a person's net worth is not the same as the worth of assets of one of the companies he owns.

A company is a different entity, a different person from the shareholders, CEOs etc. A CEO is an employee of the company.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Eastwalk(m): 7:59am On Feb 26, 2017
NairobiWalker:

Dude, you're not exposed. You simply googled 'Safaricom revenues' and took the figure that popped up. You didn't even look at the year yet it's clearly indicated there. That's not how exposed people reason. The figure you posted is of 2013. Safaricom has grown very fast since 2013. remember in 2013 it was the 47th biggest company in Africa, a year later in 2014 it rised to number 27. See, in December 2014 Safcom was worth $5.7 billion, just three months later in March 2015 it had rised to $6.3 billion. I don't have it's full data for 2016 but they released their revenue data to the public and it was $2.1 billion.

Please give me a break.

Crap you can't even make point from your post it million dollar and not billion Olu317 is right. Myopic

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 8:18am On Feb 26, 2017
Eastwalk:
Crap you can't even make point from your post it million dollar and not billion Olu317 is right. Myopic

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm responding to someone who's never seen the walls of a classroom. Dude, when somebody says he has $5,700 MILLION what do you understand with that? To you he has millions and not billions because he STATED millions? I just can't. I don't even know whether you're a simpleton, a troll or just stupid. No more responding to you.

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Eastwalk(m): 8:53am On Feb 26, 2017
NairobiWalker:

Please give me a break.

You are phoney, the screenshots you provided is ranked in which year, you claim mine is in 2013. Stop your Mumbo jumbo yours is also 2013 with 2014 And the revenue I gave corresponds with numerous web. Loony
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MrMaestro: 9:01am On Feb 26, 2017
NairobiWalker:

Funny how you guys use such foul language yet anyone else does something close to that and you're all over crying.

Safaricom was found by Kenyans. Vodafone bought in shares later. Safaricom was started by Telecom Kenya. Kenyan government and Kenyan shareholders own 65℅ of Safaricom. The remaining 35℅ is owned by Vodafone Kenya which is also partly owned by Kenyans. Thus Safaricom is a brainchild of Kenya that is over 80℅ Kenya owned. You have to be a special kind of thick to compare it with MTN which is a fully SA company found in SA and invested in Nigeria.

......and a company doesn't have to be owned by a single billionaire to be owned by natives. I honestly see nothing to brag about a few individuals bleeding an economy dry to become billionaires while many Nigerians can collectively own companies without being exploited. See, you guys are so proud of those handful billionaires who exploited you to get where they are while in other sane countries that's exactly what people are fighting against - it's called the establishment. It's where a few people connected to the government exploit the rest of the country and become super rich. Here in Kenya people are already questioning how a few super rich individuals connected to the government make lots of money and the consensus is we shouldn't end up like Nigeria while there you foolishly think we envy you.

Shifting goals in an argument is a sign of losing and that's exactly what you guys are doing.

Anyway, you can continue living in your bubble like your fellow idiot Olu up there who thinks Bob Collymore, somebody with a net worth of $1.9 MILLION is the owner of Safaricom, a company whose worth is approaching $10 BILLION.

According to Wikipedia, Vodafone owns 40%, not 35%, after purchasing an additional 5% equity in 2009. But even more interesting is that after digging, I've found that the 60% that is owned by Telkom Kenya, was recently shaken up in terms of its shareholders' percentage. Initially, 51% of Telkom Kenya was owned by France Telecom, with 49% owned by the Kenyan government. But.....

"In January 2013, France Télécom increased its stake in Telkom Kenya to 70% as a consequence of the government's failure to provide its full portion of 2012 funding"

Hold on, it gets even better. France Telecom sold its stake to...

"Subsequent to the agreement to buy, Helios negotiated with the Kenyan government to own 40 percent in the new joint venture, with the investment firm retaining 60 percent.[13] In June 2016, final regulatory approval was received for the deal to proceed"

And now 60% of Telkom Kenya (which owns 60 percent of Safaricom) is now owned by Helios

Who owns Helios you ask? Wait for it......

"Helios Investment Partners was established in 2004 by Babatunde Soyoye and Tope Lawani ". These are both Nigerian guys if their names weren't clear enough.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

So in conclusion, you've come on a Nigerian forum to fight Nigerians touting Safaricom. Come to find out, Nigerians have more claim to your precious Safaricom, than even Kenya does. HA!! And then you have the gall to criticize successful Nigerian entrepreneurship like Adenuga and Dangote as establishment powergrab by remaining private. When public ownership is what lead to Kenya selling its soul to a Nigerian entrepreneur's private company. How ironic. Wow, your shame must be sky high. Nigerians are a powerhouse. let your monumental embarrassment be a lesson.

Oh, and here are the sources, see for yourself.

Safaricom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safaricom
Telcom Kenya: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telkom_Kenya
Helios Inverstments: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Investment_Partners

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 9:33am On Feb 26, 2017
MrMaestro:

According to Wikipedia, Vodafone owns 40%, not 35%, after purchasing an additional 5% equity in 2009. But even more interesting is that after digging, I've found that the 60% that is owned by Telkom Kenya, was recently shaken up in terms of its shareholders' percentage. Initially, 51% of Telkom Kenya was owned by France Telecom, with 49% owned by the Kenyan government. But.....

"In January 2013, France Télécom increased its stake in Telkom Kenya to 70% as a consequence of the government's failure to provide its full portion of 2012 funding"

Hold on, it gets even better. France Telecom sold its stake to...

"Subsequent to the agreement to buy, Helios negotiated with the Kenyan government to own 40 percent in the new joint venture, with the investment firm retaining 60 percent.[13] In June 2016, final regulatory approval was received for the deal to proceed"

And now 60% of Telkom Kenya (which owns 60 percent of Safaricom) is now owned by Helios

Who owns Helios you ask? Wait for it......

"Helios Investment Partners was established in 2004 by Babatunde Soyoye and Tope Lawani ". These are both Nigerian guys if their names weren't clear enough.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

So in conclusion, you've come on a Nigerian forum to fight Nigerians touting Safaricom. Come to find out, Nigerians have more claim to your precious Safaricom, than even Kenya does. HA!! And then you have the gall to criticize successful Nigerian entrepreneurship like Adenuga and Dangote as establishment powergrab by remaining private. When public ownership is what lead to Kenya selling its soul to a Nigerian entrepreneur's private company. How ironic. Wow, your shame must be sky high. Nigerians are a powerhouse. let your monumental embarrassment be a lesson.

Oh, and here are the sources, see for yourself.

Safaricom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safaricom
Telcom Kenya: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telkom_Kenya
Helios Inverstments: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Investment_Partners

Dude, Telecom Kenya DOES NOT OWN Safaricom. Safaricom was made as a subsidiary of Telecom Kenya. Right now Telecom Kenya and Safaricom are two different entities and at the moment Safaricom can buy Telecom Kenya with it's pocket change. When Safaricom was formed as a subsidiary of Telecom Kenya in 1997, the Kenyan government owned 100℅ of Telecom Kenya. France Telecom (now Orange SA) acquired 51℅ of Telecom Kenya (only) in 2007 independently and Telecom Kenya runs their own rival Mobile service provider known as Orange Kenya. ......I told you Vodafone Kenya owns 35℅ of Safaricom. Mobitelea owns 5℅, the Government of Kenya owns 35℅ and the public owns 25℅. Take that to the bank and stop embarrassing yourself anymore. It's hard dealing with people whose only source of info is wikipedia.
Get real information bro.

It's so amusing the extent you guys go to to prove any major company in Africa outside Nigeria is not owned by the natives of that country.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Eastwalk(m): 9:42am On Feb 26, 2017
NairobiWalker:

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm responding to someone who's never seen the walls of a classroom. Dude, when somebody says he has $5,700 MILLION what do you understand with that? To you he has millions and not billions because he STATED millions? I just can't. I don't even know whether you're a simpleton, a troll or just stupid. No more responding to you.
That hurts, I was too fast to make assertions, my fault. But still I would refer you to a big liar, with shoddy acclaim. Inventing sozzled tales. The last financial reports done by safaricom itself does not acclaim such high revenue like you did gruesomely safaricom revenue is not up to 2 billion it's 1.8 or something which makes Glo higher. Bleep up educated illiterate

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MrMaestro: 10:13am On Feb 26, 2017
NairobiWalker:

Dude, Telecom Kenya DOES NOT OWN Safaricom. Safaricom was made as a subsidiary of Telecom Kenya. Right now Telecom Kenya and Safaricom are two different entities and at the moment Safaricom can buy Telecom Kenya with it's pocket change. When Safaricom was formed as a subsidiary of Telecom Kenya, the Kenyan government owned 100℅ of Telecom Kenya. France Telecom (now Orange SA) acquired 51℅ of Telecom Kenya (only) in 2007 independently and Telecom Kenya runs their own rival Mobile service provider known as Orange Kenya. ......I told you Vodafone Kenya owns 35℅ of Safaricom. Mobitelea owns 5℅, the Government of Kenya owns 35℅ and the public owns 25℅. Take that to the bank and stop embarrassing yourself anymore. It's hard dealing with people whose only source of info is wikipedia.
Get real information bro.

It's so amusing the extent you guys go to to prove any major company in Africa outside Nigeria is not owned by the natives of that country.

Wrong again. I don't know why you keep saying it, because it just not true. Vodafone owns 40% of Safaricom.

http://www.4-traders.com/SAFARICOM-LIMITED-6500172/company/

And in terms of its comparison to Glo, the most recent information we have, as you've pointed out, is 2013. Glo has a revenue of
$ 1.178 Billion in 2013, while safaricom has a revenue of $1.428 Billion in 2013. We can speculate, but until hard data is put forth, with SOURCES, these are the numbers. Considering the fact that Glo is 100% Nigerian owned and run by Nigerians, while Safaricom is 60% Kenyan owned and 40% British owned, there really is no comparison here. As kenya only truly owns $857 mill of the revenue.

And yes, ownership matters, because when the British owns 40% of your largest telecoms company, is not really your telecoms company. Its yours as well as the British. Glo has 100% Nigerian OWNERSHIP, and Nigerian operation.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 11:14am On Feb 26, 2017
MrMaestro:

Wrong again. I don't know why you keep saying it, because it just not true. Vodafone owns 40% of Safaricom.

http://www.4-traders.com/SAFARICOM-LIMITED-6500172/company/

And in terms of its comparison to Glo, the most recent information we have, as you've pointed out, is 2013. Glo has a revenue of
$ 1.178 Billion in 2013, while safaricom has a revenue of $1.428 Billion in 2013. We can speculate, but until hard data is put forth, with SOURCES, these are the numbers. Considering the fact that Glo is 100% Nigerian owned and run by Nigerians, while Safaricom is 60% Kenyan owned and 40% British owned, there really is no comparison here. As kenya only truly owns $857 mill of the revenue.

And yes, ownership matters, because when the British owns 40% of your largest telecoms company, is not really your telecoms company. Its yours as well as the British. Glo has 100% Nigerian OWNERSHIP, and Nigerian operation.

How about you also divide your revenue with your 180 million people and we divide our revenue with our 45 million people if who the revenue goes to matters this much?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) ... (9933)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.