Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,779 members, 7,802,402 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) - Foreign Affairs (300) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) (6116944 Views)

Am I The Only One Whos Tired Of This Kenya Is Ahead Thread / Femi Adesina: "I Don't Lie, No Matter What"; Nigerians React / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) (303) ... (9933) (Go Down)

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Ugosample(m): 2:37pm On Feb 26, 2017
It's on threads like this I see that Africans in general (both Kenyans, Nigerians) and the others are not wise at all.

What good will this dick measuring contest bring

Underdeveloped backward countries always arguing about which country is better , instead of advertising our positive sides, and suggesting how we move our continent forward together.

Shame.

One Kenyan mugu in some pages back was even disparaging pidgin and talking about Swahili as the only.authentic afro language

*sighs*
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by LeSudAfricaine: 3:08pm On Feb 26, 2017
jordinsparkles:
and yours is Hell, if my country is a zoo which ofcourse its not then what are u doing here on Nairaland dummy? Look if you have nothing useful to say *which is obvious* its best that you get lost or better still go and play with babies. HIV stricken country!
is that the best you got?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by gallivant: 7:03pm On Feb 26, 2017
Ugosample:
It's on threads like this I see that Africans in general (both Kenyans, Nigerians) and the others are not wise at all.

Underdeveloped backward countries always arguing about which country is better , instead of advertising our positive sides, and suggesting how we move our continent forward together.

Shame.

One Kenyan mugu in some pages back was even disparaging pidgin and talking about Swahili as the only.authentic afro language

*sighs*

Swahili, Yoruba, Zulu etc are authentic African languages. Pidgin, Creole, Afrikaans are not. It's really very simple if you possessed a cognitive capability.

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 8:38pm On Feb 26, 2017
Muafrika2:

You are comparing things that are not related.

Having more subscription is not automatically more profit.

And a person's net worth is not the same as the worth of assets of one of the companies he owns.

A company is a different entity, a different person from the shareholders, CEOs etc. A CEO is an employee of the company.
C. E. O is a different entity on its as the company but when a company employs a chief executive officer, it always amongst shareholders or better still recommendation from the board of directors. This rarely happens though if one of the board of directors isn't picked to occupy the position of C.E.O. Most institutions that owns shares in company represent the interest of some people/individuals because institutions are set for profit and customers satisfaction. There are active and dormant partners in businesses. In Accounting term; Capital+liabilities=Asset of a company. Economic term that say, when there is a demand of a certain scarce commodity @ given price with more hands chasing after the same commodity, then such business maximises profit. Such is the simplest case of your argument. The more you have more subscribers, the more your profit. This is unquestionable theory of the sole reason for business set up. Any company that doesn't turn her subscribers to profit as this case may be will definitely hit the rock. This is only a simple law of demand and supply. When there isn't any alternative to a product in the market then the owner of such company become a monopoly via government policies and therefore, such company can even make ten fold gain or even more. This is perhaps the advantage of safaricom over others in Kenya if others exists. It is easy to understand if you know the rudiments of business and government policies.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 8:48pm On Feb 26, 2017
gallivant:

Swahili, Yoruba, Zulu etc are authentic African languages. Pidgin, Creole, Afrikaans are not. It's really very simple if you possessed a cognitive capability.
There are about three thousand African languagesans I don't know much about others but a little bout Yoruba I know. And the language isnt as old as Swahili. Do you have proof of Yoruba as an indigenous African language?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Ugosample(m): 8:50pm On Feb 26, 2017
gallivant:

*sighs*

I think you are the dimwit who I had that conversation with sometime back, maybe it's not you.

But Pidgin, as a mode of communication is of equal status to a Swahili, Yoruba, or whatever, because a language is a means of communication.

We are proud of our own pidgin, just like the Jamos are proud of the patois, which by the way is more popular in the world stage than any backwater Swahili.

That is the fact.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MrMaestro: 8:52pm On Feb 26, 2017
I'm done with this. It's not healthy. My apologies if I offended anyone. I wish you Kenyans, the best. And I hope you do the same for us. Ultimately I hope for a time where all African countries are prosperous.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by gallivant: 10:29pm On Feb 26, 2017
Ugosample:

*sighs*

I think you are the dimwit who I had that conversation with sometime back, maybe it's not you.

But Pidgin, as a mode of communication is of equal status to a Swahili, Yoruba, or whatever, because a language is a means of communication.

We are proud of our own pidgin, just like the Jamos are proud of the patois, which by the way is more popular in the world stage than any backwater Swahili.

That is the fact.

It could be a means of communication and be proud of it but fact is its just broken English. I don't understand why Nigerians get upset over such a reality.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by gallivant: 10:32pm On Feb 26, 2017
Olu317:
There are about three thousand African languagesans I don't know much about others but a little bout Yoruba I know. And the language isnt as old as Swahili. Do you have proof of Yoruba as an indigenous African language?

Do I really need prove Yoruba is African? Ask me about Pidgin! grin
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 10:39pm On Feb 26, 2017
Ugosample:

That is the fact.
What! !!!

grin grin

This is an insult to genuine African Languages.

Pidgin, patois etc are not even officially recognised as a sub-class or versions of English, which 95% of their root words are derived from.

If your mother tongue does not recognise you? Why would languages that have been spoken for thousands of years grin

Pidgin is corrupt English. That's all undecided

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Ugosample(m): 11:05pm On Feb 26, 2017
Muafrika2:

What! !!!

grin grin

This is an insult to genuine African Languages.

Pidgin, patois etc are not even officially recognised as a sub-class or versions of English, which 95% of their root words are derived from.

If your mother tongue does not recognise you? Why would languages that have been spoken for thousands of years grin

Pidgin is corrupt English. That's all undecided

*sighs*

There is BBC in Pidgin English, now, I saw it somewhere, and there are radio stations and prints in only pidgin.

And 95% of pidgin words are not English words tho...
Many of the words are derived from the various local languages in Nigeria, and that is what makes it unique, as it is a focal point.
Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba etc are all incorporated into Pidgin one way or the other.
You guys at that end of Africa will never understand tho

As I have said all the time, Pidgin has the status of Afrikaans, and is not "corrupted" as you people paint it (you label what you don't understand tho, so it is understandable.)

It us just different.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 11:19pm On Feb 26, 2017
Ugosample:

*sighs*

There is BBC in Pidgin English, now, I saw it somewhere, and there are radio stations and prints in only pidgin.

Many of the words are derived from the various local languages in Nigeria, and that is what makes it unique, as it is a focal point.

As I have said all the time, Pidgin has the status of Afrikaans, and is not "corrupted" as you people paint it (you label what you don't understand tho, so it is understandable.)

It us just different.
Afrikaan is a West Germanic language. It has a grammatical formula.

If pidgin were to be taught in school, what grammatical rules would they use?

Everybody would get an "A" because anything goes. Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba would not have the same issues because they have their genuine lexicon, rules etc.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Ugosample(m): 11:25pm On Feb 26, 2017
Muafrika2:

Afrikaan is a West Germanic language. It has a grammatical formula.

If pidgin were to be taught in school, what grammatical rules would they use?

Everybody would get an "A" because anything goes. Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba would not have the same issues because they have their genuine lexicon, rules etc.

Pidgin is used as the language of instruction in some parts of the country tho.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Nobody: 11:32pm On Feb 26, 2017
Ugosample:

That, if true, would explain the grammatical confusion I see on this forum.

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by gallivant: 4:10am On Feb 27, 2017
Ugosample:

Oh dear!

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 6:21am On Feb 27, 2017
gallivant:

Do I really need prove Yoruba is African? Ask me about Pidgin! grin
come off it bro,if you love pidgin then be sincere about it. Have you by any chance come across book written in English language in 14th/15th/16th centuries? You will be shocked beyond your bone marrow. What am trying to emphasis here is that Pidgin English isn't a bad idea after all. Nigeria opened your eyes to Written books and precisely spoken English in a different ways for easy communication for all Africans. You all need praise and give thanks to Nigerians for the effort in bringing knowledge to Africa. Do you have knowledge of the first African Bishop?, He was the man that did the first translation of English language to his local language in the whole of Africa. So therefore doff your hat for exposing all of you to Western/White man's knowledge...... Pidgin is indisputable a way to communicate for the semiskilled/ half baked educated Africans
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by NairobiWalker(m): 8:49am On Feb 27, 2017
Ugosample:

Shame.

*sighs*

How different are you? I would rather somebody who's straightforward than that who pretends to be holier than thou yet still partakes of what he's condemning.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MtuMsuper: 8:56am On Feb 27, 2017
Ugosample:

*sighs*

It us just different.
I must be the kenyan mugu/dimwit you must be referring to. Reporting for duty sir!

Afrikaans is a west Germanic language whose closest cousin is Dutch. Most Dutch people i know have very amusing things to say about it, and all of them can't get it at all.
One can get an advanced degree in a South African uni using Afrikaans as tge
Olu317:
come off it bro,if you love pidgin then be sincere about it. Have you by any chance come across book written in English language in 14th/15th/16th centuries? You will be shocked beyond your bone marrow. What am trying to emphasis here is that Pidgin English isn't a bad idea after all. Nigeria opened your eyes to Written books and precisely spoken English in a different ways for easy communication for all Africans. You all need praise and give thanks to Nigerians for the effort in bringing knowledge to Africa. Do you have knowledge of the first African Bishop?, He was the man that did the first translation of English language to his local language in the whole of Africa. So therefore doff your hat for exposing all of you to Western/White man's knowledge...... Pidgin is indisputable a way to communicate for the semiskilled/ half baked educated Africans
Ugosample:

*sighs*

It us just different.
I must be the kenyan mugu/dimwit you must be referring to. Reporting for duty sir!

Afrikaans is a west Germanic language whose closest cousin is Dutch. Most Dutch people i know have very amusing things to say about it, and all of them can't get it at all. They think it's like some medieval tongue with frightening similarities to theirs, and whose speakers have names like theirs.
One can get an advanced degree in a South African uni using Afrikaans as the medium of instruction. It's got a very large corpus of published works and in all media formats. It's one of the 11 official language of South Africa . We also happen to know how black south africans feel about it esp considering its association with apartheid, but that's not the point here. The point is that it's a developed language. As is our "backwater " kiswahili. Pidgin is not it's mate, it's just common speech in your side of Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MtuMsuper: 9:05am On Feb 27, 2017
Olu317:
Alternative facts, strawman arguments / foul language / condescension..... that's you in a nutshell. Ps. The first African Bishop was not a Nigerian. Ethiopia has a history of more than 1700 years of Christianity and a longer one of Judaism before that, so therefore there have been plenty of Ethiopian (as well as other mostly orthodox Christian Bishops in North Africa such as Egypt, meroe, Maghreb ) bishops. And get out of the fallacy that knowledge only emanates from the west. Slave!

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Ugosample(m): 9:07am On Feb 27, 2017
NairobiWalker:

How different are you? I would rather somebody who's straightforward than that who pretends to be holier than thou yet still partakes of what he's condemning.

Have I ever compared Nigeria and Kenya on this platform?

All I did was respond to one guy who was talking ill about Pidgin, that's all.
I have to set the records straight to him, because that term "corrupt English" is a very derogatory term.

But it's fine.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MtuMsuper: 9:10am On Feb 27, 2017
Olu317:
Yorubas are africans. It stands to reason that the language they speak is an African one. Is it a Polynesian language?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 9:17am On Feb 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

Afrikaans is a west Germanic language whose closest cousin is Dutch. Most Dutch people i know have very amusing things to say about it, and all of them can't get it at all.
One can get an advanced degree in a South African uni using Afrikaans as tge

Afrikaans is a west Germanic language whose closest cousin is Dutch. Most Dutch people i know have very amusing things to say about it, and all of them can't get it at all. They think it's like some medieval tongue with frightening similarities to theirs, and whose speakers have names like theirs.
One can get an advanced degree in a South African uni using Afrikaans as the medium of instruction. It's got a very large corpus of published works and in all media formats. It's one of the 11 official language of South Africa . We also happen to know how black south africans feel about it esp considering its association with apartheid, but that's not the point here. The point is that it's a developed language. As is our "backwater " kiswahili. Pidgin is not it's mate, it's just common speech in your side of Africa.
If BBC considered the usage of such in their forthcoming service to be introduced soon, then you need to think twice before you churn out info. And on Afrikaan's language, is quite different because going through population stat on the people who spoke the Afrikaans need be a sort of concern to you because Afrikaan language does not go beyond part of southern Africa. And compare the population of over 180 millions Nigerians, Ghana's 30million+ and other West Africa Anglophone countries. Even Francophone of West Africa speak it. Now, let me hit you with a mind blowing fact again. THE CHINESE SPEAKS IT TOO. IT IS CALLED CHINESE ENGLISH. if you sum up all these population, then you need join the band wagon. It is imperative to inform you that this doesn't stop you from communicating properly in spoken English language when you come in contact with a good speaker. QED
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 9:29am On Feb 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

Yorubas are africans. It stands to reason that the language they speak is an African one. Is it a Polynesian language?
Then why is it grouped as a Niger Congo/kwa language? The reason for this compelling problem is that Yoruba language has a lot of ancient Egyptians words in her language between 30%-45% . Kindly clarify the Polynesian Part you meant.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MtuMsuper: 9:33am On Feb 27, 2017
Olu317:
If BBC considered the usage of such in their forthcoming service to be introduced soon, then you need to think twice before you churn out info. And on Afrikaan's language, is quite different because going through population stat on the people who spoke the Afrikaans need be a sort of concern to you because Afrikaan language does not go beyond part of southern Africa. And compare the population of over 180 millions Nigerians, Ghana's 30million+ and other West Africa Anglophone countries. Even Francophone of West Africa speak it. Now, let me hit you with a mind blowing fact again. THE CHINESE SPEAKS IT TOO. IT IS CALLED CHINESE ENGLISH. if you sum up all these population, then you need join the band wagon. It is imperative to inform you that this doesn't stop you from communicating properly in spoken English language when you come in contact with a good speaker. QED
This is too embarrassing for me to engage in i.e try and exchange words. with you.. somebody's got to do it anyway.
Let this argument rest by saying this : pidgin and other creolized languages are very useful tongues which should be used in communication but cannot be the mates of developed and recognized ones. When pidgin secedes from English as Afrikaans did from Dutch /French /German , we might have something to discuss. Until then it remains confined to its west African homeland and is not a recognized language with its own code. We in East Africa have our own "pidgin " and its called Kiswahili(Swahili is an adjective ), a recognized language . Also, we shouldn't do things in a bandwagon mindset, rather we do them because its convenient or moral to do so.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MtuMsuper: 9:35am On Feb 27, 2017
Olu317:
Then why is it grouped as a Niger Congo/kwa language? The reason for this compelling problem is that Yoruba language has a lot of ancient Egyptians words in her language between 30%-45% . Kindly clarify the Polynesian Part you meant.
Do they teach you guys sarcasm 101 in the syllabus? From what grade?

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 9:47am On Feb 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

This is too embarrassing for me to engage in i.e try and exchange words. with you.. somebody's got to do it anyway.
Let this argument rest by saying this : pidgin and other creolized languages are very useful tongues which should be used in communication but cannot be the mates of developed and recognized ones. When pidgin secedes from English as Afrikaans did from Dutch /French /German , we might have something to discuss. Until then it remains confined to its west African homeland and is not a recognized language with its own code. We in East Africa have our own "pidgin " and its called Kiswahili(Swahili is an adjective ), a recognized language . Also, we shouldn't do things in a bandwagon mindset, rather we do them because its convenient or moral to do so.
We need not argue about it but truthfully pidgin spoken English is already a business languages in West Africa. On the development of it, is another thing entirely. And if you know the origin of the language itself, you will appreciate it.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 9:50am On Feb 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

Do they teach you guys sarcasm 101 in the syllabus? From what grade?
Lol..I guess you know little about people who are living in Africa....
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 9:53am On Feb 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

Oh! I didn't see it clearly the message sent. I had thought you were emphasising Yoruba language as a Polynesian language. I didn't realise you were asking me if it is a Polynesian language.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 10:02am On Feb 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

Alternative facts, strawman arguments / foul language / condescension..... that's you in a nutshell. Ps. The first African Bishop was not a Nigerian. Ethiopia has a history of more than 1700 years of Christianity and a longer one of Judaism before that, so therefore there have been plenty of Ethiopian (as well as other mostly orthodox Christian Bishops in North Africa such as Egypt, meroe, Maghreb ) bishops. And get out of the fallacy that knowledge only emanates from the west. Slave!
come off it again. And stop referring to Coptic Christians. The people that didn't have access to the complete Bible... 1700 years indeed. A Yoruba Jew man was the reason FALASA Jews were known today.... Get your facts right. I inform based on the authentic information and not walloping in ancient distorted history.
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by MtuMsuper: 10:08am On Feb 27, 2017
Olu317:
come off it again. And stop referring to Coptic Christians. The people that didn't have access to the complete Bible... 1700 years indeed. A Yoruba Jew man was the reason FALASA Jews were known today.... Get your facts right. I inform based on the authentic information and not walloping in ancient distorted history.
What a load of bull!! FYI Ethiopia was the first nation on earth after the Roman Empire to declare Christianity as its official religion. Menelik I, google him and learn more. Yorubaland and Ethiopia have no longstanding historical links, where did you get the fallacious claim about them revealing the falashas! And then i thought i had seen and heard it all! That's real history for you there and please don't troll this thread any further, Jeezuz!

1 Like

Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Just30: 10:10am On Feb 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

Since when did Pidgin become a language?
Re: Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie) by Olu317(m): 10:53am On Feb 27, 2017
MtuMsuper:

What a load of bull!! FYI Ethiopia was the first nation on earth after the Roman Empire to declare Christianity as its official religion. Menelik I, google him and learn more. Yorubaland and Ethiopia have no longstanding historical links, where did you get the fallacious claim about them revealing the falashas! And then i thought i had seen and heard it all! That's real history for you there and please don't troll this thread any further, Jeezuz!
YOU ARE A CLOWN... Do you know what the ancient map of Ethiopia was? So, you imagine, the ancient Ethiopia is the current Ethiopia? You are not on the same page with me.... Go and study world history and find out the proper mapping of ancient Ethiopia..Least I forget locate the place where their king sits.

(1) (2) (3) ... (297) (298) (299) (300) (301) (302) (303) ... (9933)

Viewing this topic: 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.