Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,801 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? (2311 Views)

Join The Community Of Nigerian Programmers Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 1:56am On Sep 04, 2016
Please I need stats, go straight to the stats ... I don't mind even if it's not very accurate. Making a presentation soon and I need this info.

Thanks in advance.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Vicben(m): 6:19am On Sep 04, 2016
Based on my personal experience and knowledge, I'd the percentage of Nigerian developers is 5.

This is why i arrived at that
Total internet usage in Nigeria is slightly about 41% and out of this percentage, 80% of them use mobile phones and about 60% do not have access to personal computers and the remaining percentage that has access PCs do work mainly with word processing programs and surfing only.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 04, 2016
I'd guesstimate 1 in every 2,000 or even more.
Back in school we had a steady 5,000 population every year. I spent five years meaning I came across 10,000 Nigerians(5 years + an extra 1,000 students every academic year) and the most I saw were 10 coders. Computer science students were on a cram to pass diet and most had laptops only as status symbols, to pass time watching movies or as word processing tools.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by silento(m): 2:11pm On Sep 04, 2016
4%
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 12:45am On Sep 05, 2016
Vicben:
Based on my personal experience and knowledge, I'd the percentage of Nigerian developers is 5.

This is why i arrived at that
Total internet usage in Nigeria is slightly about 41% and out of this percentage, 80% of them use mobile phones and about 60% do not have access to personal computers and the remaining percentage that has access PCs do work mainly with word processing programs and surfing only.
I'm still processing your stats, other replies along with yours will help produce a more accurate result.

Thank you for your reply, saw this late tho: next time quote or mention me.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Oahray: 5:53pm On Sep 05, 2016
Looks like somewhere between 0.0001% and 0.0005%. Mostly beginners like me and intermediates. The pros... I dunno if they are up to 5,000 in the whole Nigeria.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Sep 05, 2016
Oahray:
Looks like somewhere between 0.0001% and 0.0005%. Mostly beginners like me and intermediates. The pros... I dunno if they are up to 5,000 in the whole Nigeria.

Hmm, this a very questionable stat... I appreciate your input but I think there are up to/more than 2,500 developers in Lagos alone.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Oahray: 7:02pm On Sep 05, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Hmm, this a very questionable stat... I appreciate your input but I think there are up to/more than 2,500 developers in Lagos alone.
all world-class? That's what I mean by pros (professionals). Those ones are few.

If there are 180 million Nigerians, 0.0001% is 18,000 and 0.0005% is 90,000. That's my total range estimate. We have more bark than bite Nigerian developers.

You need better data sources though.

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by FrankLampard: 7:40pm On Sep 05, 2016
You can't just come up with stats just like that, you can send an email to sites like StackOverFlow or Hackerrank to give you their own stats, with that you can make your own estimate.

Thank you
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 05, 2016
We must-to-do CENSUS.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 7:17am On Sep 06, 2016
dhtml18:
We must-to-do CENSUS.
Lol, that may work out.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 06, 2016
Oahray:
all world-class? That's what I mean by pros (professionals). Those ones are few.

If there are 180 million Nigerians, 0.0001% is 18,000 and 0.0005% is 90,000. That's my total range estimate. We have more bark than bite Nigerian developers.

You need better data sources though.

Andela has over 200 world-class developers... Combining Andela, Aptech, Cc-Hub, I-Hub, Devs at Hotels.ng, Jumia, Konga, WakaNow, Gamsole e.t.c.. We should be able to arrive at over 2,500 developers either working for those companies in Lagos or freelancing. I don't even need world-class developers stat (Should have said this earlier).. Just need a stat of developers that can pass a basic test in their respective fields.

@FrankLampard, I agree with you too... Just that StackOverflow and HackerRank can't even provide a sensible stat because some Nigerian developers don't even use/know these sites so the stat can't be accurate.

I have already made the presentation and thanks to you all but most especially:
@charix, @Vicben and @Oahray

@silento's 4% was actually non-descriptive and had no source or backing but 4% is way too much developers than we currently have.

@Vicben, I was able to derive some extra points from your "Internet Usage" stat and that about 10-18% of Nigerians own a PC. But all these aren't accurate enough.

I have a solution, but It's a looonnng one and I may do it in the future, We can set up a local website that tests developers and pay those that score 85% and above a fee (Maybe 5k lol). A lot of developers will run to take the test because they have nothing to lose (aside some few minutes of their time) and from the total number of people that take the test a better stat can be derived. Tests can be conducted every month or year and more stat can be derived like number of developers based on language and style. Local ads can help spread the word and attract devs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Oahray: 10:05am On Sep 06, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Andela has over 200 world-class developers... Combining Andela, Aptech, Cc-Hub, I-Hub, Devs at Hotels.ng, Jumia, Konga, WakaNow, Gamsole e.t.c.. We should be able to arrive at over 2,500 developers either working for those companies in Lagos or freelancing. I don't even need world-class developers stat (Should have said this earlier).. Just need a stat of developers that can pass a basic test in their respective fields.
Alright. I did begin with my estimate though. You chose to focus on the sub 5,000 world-class developers estimate. tongue

Your idea is a nice one. Abeg double the encouragement. Extra 10k no go bad for this economy cheesy
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by FrankLampard: 10:17am On Sep 06, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

@FrankLampard, I agree with you too... Just that StackOverflow and HackerRank can't even provide a sensible stat because some Nigerian developers don't even use/know these sites so the stat can't be accurate.

Can you share a sample of your presentation?

joelezeu@gmail.com

I was discussing with a friend concerning this and he said StackOverFlow should be enough to produce this kind of data. Because at one certain time, we have all viewed or asked a question in StackOverFlow.

Or if Seun can give the data of people viewing www.nairaland.com/programming section of NL, I think that should be enough.

I have a solution, but It's a looonnng one and I may do it in the future, We can set up a local website that tests developers and pay those that score 85% and above a fee (Maybe 5k lol). A lot of developers will run to take the test because they have nothing to lose (aside some few minutes of their time) and from the total number of people that take the test a better stat can be derived. Tests can be conducted every month or year and more stat can be derived like number of developers based on language and style. Local ads can help spread the word and attract devs.

I have discussed this with DHTML on Facebook before, if he can remember, it will drive Nigerian developers to the site.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 06, 2016
I surely remember, and it is part of the plans of the new Nairaland, which out to be out in phases, but alas, i am being overwhelmed with development work.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by FrankLampard: 12:13pm On Sep 06, 2016
dhtml18:
I surely remember, and it is part of the plans of the new Nairaland, which out to be out in phases, but alas, i am being overwhelmed with development work.

Why not make partially open source and make some of us newbies participate in the development phases.

My PHP is good, my Angular is Pretty Basic for now(CRUD operations). Laravel and Phalcon are my frameworks.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 06, 2016
Oahray:
Alright. I did begin with my estimate though. You chose to focus on the sub 5,000 world-class developers estimate. tongue

Your idea is a nice one. Abeg double the encouragement. Extra 10k no go bad for this economy cheesy

Lol, see your mouth.. Imagine 1,000 people passing the test... such a thing ought to be done with backing/sponsordhip
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 06, 2016
FrankLampard:

Can you share a sample of your presentation?

joelezeu@gmail.com

I was discussing with a friend concerning this and he said StackOverFlow should be enough to produce this kind of data. Because at one certain time, we have all viewed or asked a question in StackOverFlow.

Or if Seun can give the data of people viewing www.nairaland.com/programming section of NL, I think that should be enough.

I have discussed this with DHTML on Facebook before, if he can remember, it will drive Nigerian developers to the site.

The presentation was speech based (Actually a pitch to investors). Will try and send a transcript to you tho.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Oahray: 6:22pm On Sep 06, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Lol, see your mouth.. Imagine 1,000 people passing the test... such a thing ought to be done with backing/sponsorship
brush your ideas till it sparkles and you'd be surprised how many persons would be willing to sponsor. I still be rookie sha, but I'd help any way I can. Naija has too much human resources to not be among the tech powerhouses of the future.

I read about the maiden edition VR Hackathon by Imisi 3D and I've been tingly all over. There's hope for Nigeria...
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by yinkeys(m): 1:45pm On Sep 16, 2016
Learning web design at the moment. Do i count as a developer once i'm done? I need your whatsapp contact @DanielTheGeek
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 1:51pm On Sep 16, 2016
well I think there are 30,000 developers in Nigeria, whether web, app, software or newbie

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Sep 16, 2016
yinkeys:
Learning web design at the moment. Do i count as a developer once i'm done? I need your whatsapp contact @DanielTheGeek

Nope, you don't count as a developer, you only count as a "Web Designer".

You become a developer the moment you go beyond UI and Page Layouts and start dynamic programming and are also able to do dynamic programming that serve a purpose.

Note: You may be a programmer but not a developer.
My number:
$number = ['3', '5', '7', '2', '5', '5', '5', '7', '1', '8', '0'];

var_dump(array_reverse($number));

2 Likes

Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Sep 16, 2016
dhtml18:

Get a team bro.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 16, 2016
FrankLampard:

Why not make partially open source and make some of us newbies participate in the development phases.

My PHP is good, my Angular is Pretty Basic for now(CRUD operations). Laravel and Phalcon are my frameworks.

I surely don't mind an extra hand with your current stack... If you don't mind tho.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Sep 16, 2016
ClintonNzedimma:
well I think there are 30,000 developers in Nigeria, whether web, app, software or newbie

That is still a "Thought" no source, thanks for trying.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by ehinorlive: 4:18pm On Sep 16, 2016
Nigeria developers are about 3% currently. posters above tend to look at the days of old. new developers that are preparing them self are close to 7-% in Nigeria.
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 5:15pm On Sep 16, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

That is still a "Thought" no source, thanks for trying.
that's a close estimate, as at 2009, we had 11,655 so give or take I arrived with a conclusion that we are around 30k

1 Like

Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by KvnqPrezo(m): 6:18pm On Sep 16, 2016
10%

I can hardly see any programmer in Abuja they all prefer yahoo boy!!!
It's so annoying...
Re: What Percentage Of Nigerian Citizens Are Developers? by yinkeys(m): 2:19pm On Sep 18, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Nope, you don't count as a developer, you only count as a "Web Designer".

You become a developer the moment you go beyond UI and Page Layouts and start dynamic programming and are also able to do dynamic programming that serve a purpose.

Note: You may be a programmer but not a developer.
My number:
$number = ['3', '5', '7', '2', '5', '5', '5', '7', '1', '8', '0'];

var_dump(array_reverse($number));
Very Good Badt Guy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Courses In Software Engineering / What Kinds Of App Cn Be Built With Android Studio Software? / 1. Learning Android Programming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.