Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,473 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:29 PM

Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? (3566 Views)

Ohanaeze To Visit Buhari With Charter Of Demands - Vanguard Newspaper / Roli Bode-George Is Acting Chairman Of NDLEA- The Vanguard / Boko Haram Killing Yorubas And Igbos 3-days Expired (pix)! -vanguard Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Afam(m): 10:49am On Oct 05, 2009
Some months ago vanguard went to town that the CBN was planning to sack the CEOs of 5 top banks in Nigeria in a plan by some people who may have lost out in the consolidation exercise to take over the banks.

When CBN sacked 5 CEOs some months later some people maintained that Vanguard saw this coming and even though the the banks involved were not the 5 top banks in Nigeria Vanguard and its supporters were adamant that they had everything covered.

Now, a few days ago CBN concluded the audit of the remaining banks and 3 more bank CEOs were fired.

How does the Vanguard claim fit into this now?

Did the 5 banks suddenly change to 8 banks?

The reason why I am asking this question is to make the average Nigerian aware of the machinations of the media houses who would do anything to make money including feeding Nigerians with misinformation, half truths, conspiracy theories and sometimes out right lies.

Nigerians must demand responsible journalism from our media houses.

Even obvious mistakes and blunders are not apologized for.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Ibime(m): 11:06am On Oct 05, 2009
hehehehe. . . . put simply, the Vanguard claim was a ruse to get reactive elements fired up in opposition to bank reform. . . and it worked!
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Oct 05, 2009
So long as this debates last, the truth will continue to be based on who you ask. Just like you may find legitimate reasons to think that the latest sack of 3 CEOs invalidates vanguards claims so too can we continue to find legitimate reasons to think that the latest sack of 3 bank CEOs is just designed to cover up what is a clandestine backdoor takeover of 5 banks.
Nothing else justifies the later argument than the fact that we saw people being pernalised based on half baked audit, this same CBN at the time claimed that they were not expecting anymore sack of CEOs. So what has changed between the last one month and now interms of the CBN records that warrant the further sack of 3 CEOs?

I dont know why we would rather be debating what is a fairly accurate prediction of a news organisations rather than the discordant tunes coming out of the CBN, and how the CBN under the leadership of Sanusi has been all over the place with its reports, records and results?

At the end of the day we all have all the right to think what we like but Sanusi lamido Sanusi with time will start to explain his actions in economic terms and how his actions translate to food on anybody's table.

Surely to the extent I know sacking 8 bank CEOs is not an economic index let alone being a positive one.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by yeswecan(m): 10:47pm On Oct 05, 2009
Vanguard's claim was authentic. However, Sanusi adopted a different measure just to prove people wrong, especially those who believed it was a northern agenda.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Afam(m): 7:54am On Oct 06, 2009
So, you guys are claiming or maintaining that the 5 sacked bank CEOs were in charge of the 5 leading banks in Nigeria. Is this correct?

Just answer this fundamental question as it goes a long way in making things clear.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 06, 2009
who determines a leading or lagging bank?

and how does it matter to this debate?
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Afam(m): 9:55am On Oct 06, 2009
mikeansy:

who determines a leading or lagging bank?

What not who. Capital base, customer base, liquidity etc

mikeansy:

and how does it matter to this debate?

What? It has everything to do with the issue unless you want be act like the Federal Government that will want you to believe what it tells you regardless of the facts on ground.

Now, people are manufacturing reasons to include sacking additional 3 just to prove that the Vanguard report was wrong. Why must we get to this?

So, the number 5 is the only important parameter to support a newspaper report even when the report claimed there was a plan to take over the 5 top banks in the country by the North.

Meanwhile, how many of the new MD/CEOs are from the North?

Let us for once stick to facts, logic and common sense. Present the facts let the reading public make up their minds. Do not attempt to think for anybody and more importantly do not try to convince anybody. Just the facts.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Ibime(m): 10:08am On Oct 06, 2009
Afam:

Now, people are manufacturing reasons to include sacking additional 3 just to prove that the Vanguard report was wrong. Why must we get to this?

So, the number 5 is the only important parameter to support a newspaper report even when the report claimed there was a plan to take over the 5 top banks in the country by the North.

Meanwhile, how many of the new MD/CEOs are from the North?

Let us for once stick to facts, logic and common sense. Present the facts let the reading public make up their minds. Do not attempt to think for anybody and more importantly do not try to convince anybody. Just the facts.

GBAM!!!
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 06, 2009
5 top banks does not translate into 5 topmost

so why is this debate an issue

You can be a top bank without necessarily being the best.
this is just a trvialization of the real issue. it is what it is, an attempt to takeover 5 banks through the back door, the position these banks maintain on the strata is of little consequence.

and on the sacking of 3 more ceos how do you explain the actions of the cbn given that they earlier told us that there wont be further sacks. why are we so ok with tolerating discordant tunes from cbn?
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Afam(m): 10:21am On Oct 06, 2009
mikeansy:

5 top banks does not translate into 5 topmost

so why is this debate an issue

You can be a top bank without necessarily being the best.
this is just a trvialization of the real issue. it is what it is, an attempt to takeover 5 banks through the back door, the position these banks maintain on the strata is of little consequence.

and on the sacking of 3 more ceos how do you explain the actions of the cbn given that they earlier told us that there wont be further sacks. why are we so ok with tolerating discordant tunes from cbn?

Well, since it is obvious that you have taken a position regardless of the facts I see no point in responding to the same thing over and over again.

As regards the content in bold trust me I prefer to tolerate discordant tunes from CBN any day to tolerating misinformation, lies, conspiracy theories from the media.

Since you have avoided abi twisted the "top 5 banks" issue can you now tackle the last question I asked earlier?

How many of the new bank MD/CEOs are Northerners?
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Nobody: 11:14am On Oct 06, 2009
The claim i guessed sparked all these that are happening now,
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by naso2(m): 12:22pm On Oct 06, 2009
The truth is, this SANUSI man is doing this job as if it is sole-trading business. I think this latest move are weak attempts at invalidating vanguards claim. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, I do not need any report from Vanguard to request Sanusi to do his job with the highest sense of professionalism . I think that is grossly lacking in the exercise so far.

As mikeansy said, the reasons for which the Vanguard's argument can be quashed based on this recent removals are the same reasons the argument can be advanced.

Initially we heard that EDW activity levels and below satisfactory CAR were the parameters used.

Now even after the second Audit Unity bank is adjugded by sanusi to be healthier than Union Bank. Storryyyyy storrrrrrrrrrryy.

There are too many questions and too few answers.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by yawmee: 3:51pm On Oct 06, 2009
Afam, your logic would have won me if you hadn't included the Northern theory conspiracy.

Truth is that Sanusi has not given too much thought to most of these actions. The whole thing is beginning to sound like a big joke. There is no common thread of logic that binds his actions. Wema is good and BankPHB is not. Unity can survive and ETB needs cash infusion.

I will shout it on the mountain top: Sanusi's actions will not restore confidence to the banking sector. Simply because he is doing the same thing that he is punishing the banks for.

Go figure!The media will probably not tell you that.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Afam(m): 4:27pm On Oct 06, 2009
yawmee:

Afam, your logic would have won me if you hadn't included the Northern theory conspiracy.

Truth is that Sanusi has not given too much thought to most of these actions. The whole thing is beginning to sound like a big joke. There is no common thread of logic that binds his actions. Wema is good and BankPHB is not. Unity can survive and ETB needs cash infusion.

I will shout it on the mountain top: Sanusi's actions will not restore confidence to the banking sector. Simply because he is doing the same thing that he is punishing the banks for.

Go figure!The media will probably not tell you that.

This post is based on the correctness or otherwise of a newspaper claim that CBN had plans to sack 5 top banks in Nigeria and deliver same to the hands of some Northern people that lost out in the last consolidation exercise.

The cost of misinformation is usually high even though they may seem harmless.

I want to trust the media and asking relevant questions like these will help otherwise it may amount to the media seeing the reading, watching and listing public as mere pawns that are used to make money and I don't like that.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by sleekymag(m): 4:30pm On Oct 06, 2009
And it would have been stupid of SLS to have just stuck to those 5 banks and not indict any other. Putting new northern CEOs to take over would also have exposed d ultimate strategy, It's clear Vanguard had raised the alarms months before and when people became aware, SLS just had to restore people's confidence, Questions we should ask now is "Are some of these banks going to have new owners or not"? We already hear the Minister of Finance say the Federal Goverment is looking for buyers (local or international), Let's keep watching how events unfold.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by MyJoe: 4:31pm On Oct 06, 2009
We have been told that the Vanguard story was not original. It was authored by a group determined to keep Soludo in office and sent to various media houses but was published by only Vanguard. Anyway those who allege Northern conspiracy will have to adduce proof to convince me. We all know there is a "North-South dichotomy", but we have to make assessments and draw conclusions based on facts. First a close friend told me Northerners will be appointed CEOs. When that did not materialise he told me to wait till the boards were reconstituted. Now some have been and hardly are there any Northerners. If SLS's agenda is a Northern takeover, where are the parameters for the takeover? How many northerners have the money to buy banks, anyway? Since when did Northerners start banking? Everyone talks about corruption in Nigeria, but the moment someone does something about it, this is all you hear - "selective justice", "Northern agenda", etc. Anyway, I am here, watching,
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Afam(m): 4:41pm On Oct 06, 2009
MyJoe:

We have been told that the Vanguard story was not original. It was authored by a group determined to keep Soludo in office and sent to various media houses but was published by only Vanguard. Anyway those who allege Northern conspiracy will have to adduce proof to convince me. We all know there is a "North-South dichotomy", but we have to make assessments and draw conclusions based on facts. First a close friend told me Northerners will be appointed CEOs. When that did not materialise he told me to wait till the boards were reconstituted. Now some have been and hardly are there any Northerners. If SLS's agenda is a Northern takeover, where are the parameters for the takeover? How many northerners have the money to buy banks, anyway? Since when did Northerners start banking? Everyone talks about corruption in Nigeria, but the moment someone does something about it, this is all you hear - "selective justice", "Northern agenda", etc. Anyway, I am here, watching,

God bless you real good.

Even Ribadu that did something about corruption is being castigated by Nigerians.

What do we really want in this country?

Are the allegations and audit reports by CBN wrong? Do we have individuals being granted loans in billions without any collateral?

Even if all corrupt Nigerians are arrested and jailed today we will hear the same story of Northern agenda or ultimate plan by a group.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by sleekymag(m): 4:41pm On Oct 06, 2009
MyJoe:

The current management i believe are there for the interim, and are protecting FG's interest since they injected funds into the banks. Did we hear of Islamic banking sometime during this brouhaha? We also hear the FG is looking for investors that will ultimately take over the banks. The minister of Finance said, its possible to nationalise these banks if no investors come forth. Now how about Yar'Adua's trip to Saudi Arabia, any connections? We also know investors can come forward acting on behalf of faceless persons. And who says some northern persons don't have the money to buy up the banks? Don't forget Nigeria has lots of looted funds outside its shores. Anyways, these are just permutations,
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by MyJoe: 4:52pm On Oct 06, 2009
Yes, just permutations!
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by ilohim: 4:55pm On Oct 06, 2009
The Vanguard Newspaper write up was true, Sanusi just wants to prove them wrong, we know that the targets were the first 5 MDs;how come he suddenly threads with caution, using boards,instead of sacking,worse still if there is no agenda,how can Sanusi tell us that Unity Bank is okay?

This whole thing is a scam;banks are no longer giving credit to their customers;he is even talking about winding up these banks as a last resort,one man has done so much damage in less than 3 months;and he has been so unprofessional in his approach to this whole thing,talking without control.

We believe the write up in Vanguard Neswpapers; Sanusi is just playing to the gallery;there is no integrity in his actions, even the procedures he used were flawed and callous;he didnt think of the negative effects on the economy.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by yawmee: 5:03pm On Oct 06, 2009
MyJoe:

Oh My GOD!!
So you don't see Sanusi's actions as a way to fester corruption in the country? Gees!
There hasn't been any form of transparency in the selection of the replaced CEOs. Who will these CEO's report to? Sanusi? You should be worried when you concentrate that much power in the hands of a single man and not instituition. Now he is talking about nationalising the banks? I thought less government= more efficiency.

Presently, the man has no clear exit strategy and that is my fear.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by sleekymag(m): 5:11pm On Oct 06, 2009
MyJoe:

Yes, just permutations!

Permutations that could reveal the true plot, You don't expect them to tell all Nigerians what the real strategy is, do you?
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by MyJoe: 5:16pm On Oct 06, 2009
yawmee:

Oh My GOD!!
So you don't see Sanusi's actions as a way to fester corruption in the country? Gees!
There hasn't been any form of transparency in the selection of the replaced CEOs. Who will these CEO's report to? Sanusi? You should be worried when you concentrate that much power in the hands of a single man and not instituition. Now he is talking about nationalising the banks? I thought less government= more efficiency.

Presently, the man has no clear exit strategy and that is my fear.

Now someone is talking sensibly - the "Northern agenda" talk just galls me. The CEOs were appointed by someone who had the power to appoint them at a time the banks could not have been left without CEOs. They will report to their boards, no Sanusi. To the best of my knowledge, the man says he is not nationalising any bank. What do you mean by the exit strategy line?
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by sleekymag(m): 5:28pm On Oct 06, 2009
MyJoe:

Now someone is talking sensibly - the "Northern agenda" talk just galls me. The CEOs were appointed by someone who had the power to appoint them at a time the banks could not have been left without CEOs. They will report to their boards, no Sanusi. To the best of my knowledge, the man says he is not nationalising any bank. What do you mean by the exit strategy line?

Maybe you need to know what the Minister of Finance's position on this is.

The eight troubled banks are Intercontinental Bank Plc, Union Bank of Nigeria Plc, Afribank Nigeria Plc, Finbank Nigeria Plc, Oceanic Bank International Plc, Bank PHB Plc, Spring Bank Plc and Equatorial Trust Bank Ltd. In addition to sacking the chief executives and executive directors of the banks, the apex bank also injected N600 billion tier two capital (long term loan) into the banks.

However, despite denials by the CBN that it is not planning to sell the banks, Minister of Finance, Dr. Mansur Mukhtar, disclosed that the Federal Government is already looking for investors to buy the banks.

Speaking at a joint press conference of African Finance Ministers at Istanbul Turkey, Mukhtar said: “We expect that shareholders will be given time to recapitalise banks and also we are looking for new capital injection from investors from both local and foreign banks, and we would expect that the creation of an asset management company to remove some of the toxic assets and boost liquidity.

“We would expect that, if in the event that banks cannot be saved, we want an orderly exit. That would protect the depositors and the shareholders. And we will also consider government ownership as an interim arrangement depending on the time we are able to get buyers. So these are all options under consideration.

For the complete article, see

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/10/06/fg-seeks-investors-for-8-troubled-banks/
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by MyJoe: 5:37pm On Oct 06, 2009
[(1) We expect that shareholders will be given time to recapitalise banks
(2) We are looking for new capital injection from investors from both local and foreign banks, and we would expect that the creation of an asset management company to remove some of the toxic assets and boost liquidity.
(3) We would expect that, if in the event that banks cannot be saved, we want an orderly exit. That would protect the depositors and the shareholders.
(4) And we will also consider government ownership as an interim arrangement depending on the time we are able to get buyers. So these are all options under consideration. ]

Someone please enlighten me on the main problems here.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by yawmee: 5:39pm On Oct 06, 2009
MYJoe, By exit strategy, I mean what will happen if the banks are unable to pay the 600billion invested to bail them out? Will the CBN just keep pumping more cash to them?

Also, how and when can you say that the banks are doing well? Is the Federal Government going to be involved in micro managing the banks for the long run? Will the CBN be transparent enough to let us know the metrics to say Bank A is now ok?

That is what I mean by an exit strategy?
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by sleekymag(m): 5:49pm On Oct 06, 2009
MyJoe:

(2) We are looking for new capital injection from investors from both local and foreign banks, and we would expect that the creation of an asset management company to remove some of the toxic assets and boost liquidity.
(3) We would expect that, if in the event that banks cannot be saved, we want an orderly exit. That would protect the depositors and the shareholders.
(4) And we will also consider government ownership as an interim arrangement depending on the time we are able to get buyers. So these are all options under consideration. ]

Only points to the facts that the banks have been up for grabs all along.

"Government ownership" (doesn't sound like nationalising?) - what if there are no buyers? (anyways, i have no problems with the reforms going on, but to say there is no plot therein, is being blind to reality).

I believe they'll definitely find buyers for some of the banks (the ones that had been targeted all along).
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by Afam(m): 5:50pm On Oct 06, 2009
MyJoe:

(2)  We are looking for new capital injection from investors from both local and foreign banks, and we would expect that the creation of an asset management company to remove some of the toxic assets and boost liquidity.
(4) And we will also consider government ownership as an interim arrangement depending on the time we are able to get buyers.  So these are all options under consideration. ]

There are no problems at all.

It is just that some people have taken a position on this issue and will try to do everything to arrive at that position even if the motor dey for reverse.

Sanusi may have acted in a haste.

Sanusi may have simply allowed all the banks to sack their CEOs.

Now, regardless of what Sanusi did not do right concerning this issue what concerns us is that his actions are in order and timely too.

All the permutations, insinuations, conjectures, mind reading and assumptions will not turn the newspaper claim into a fact.

Fact don't lie, facts are steady.

Let us stop reading the minds of people or manufacturing excuses to support a fallacy.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by BAMMZ(m): 5:54pm On Oct 06, 2009
whichever way we see it,he is either acting a script or taking some pound of flesh, whatever,something right is being done wrongly.

or better put,something is not really right .
but we hope it translate to good for Nigerian cos we just know how to change situations naturally. Nigerians will always survive.
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by MyJoe: 6:09pm On Oct 06, 2009
sleekymag:

Only points to the facts that the banks have been up for grabs all along.

"Government ownership" (doesn't sound like nationalising?) - what if there are no buyers? (anyways, i have no problems with the reforms going on, but to say there is no plot therein, is being blind to reality).

I believe they'll definitely find buyers for some of the banks (the ones that had been targeted all along).

Afam:

Let us stop reading the minds of people or manufacturing excuses to support a fallacy.

I think we have been taken for a ride too long in this country we can't see anything good in anyone's actions. We now read meanings to everything. Reminds me of my neighbour who, when Oshiohole called off a strike told me the man had been bought. When he called a strike a few weeks later the man told me the labour leader had just been bought again but just wanted to call a strike to try to prove the contrary. I am not hot for conspiracy theories - I have been watching SLS to see if he is indeed playing what looks like a script - Vanguard, Northern agenda, or any. I have read articles of pro-SLS folks, of the conspiracy theorists, and of middle grounders. I have listened to interviews on Channels and BBC World Service. I have talked to friends. Sorry, but I can't see that the theories hold up. Got to go now,
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by goggs(m): 6:41pm On Oct 06, 2009
@ Myjoe: since this sanusi/bank wahala started, among most posters you appear to me to be among the very very few who are objective and want facts to lead their conclusions on the matter. For we need to remember, no matter how tempting it is to be emotive, it is facts that will lead to rational thinking and problem solving else you stand to give urself unnecessary high BP. Even if its an agenda, at least nobody is denying that wrongs have been commited in the banks or that SLS has acted illegally. if we continue to be emotive i doubt if very tough action needed to correct Nigeria's ills will ever get off the ground.[color=][/color][color=][/color]
Re: Still On Sacked Bank Ceo's - What Happens To The Vanguard Newspaper Claim? by goggs(m): 6:54pm On Oct 06, 2009
@ Myjoe: since this sanusi/bank wahala started, among most posters you appear to me to be among the very very few who are objective and want facts to lead their conclusions on the matter. For we need to remember, no matter how tempting it is to be emotive, it is facts that will lead to rational thinking and problem solving else you stand to give urself unnecessary high BP. Even if its an agenda, at least nobody is denying that wrongs have been commited in the banks or that SLS has acted illegally. if we continue to be emotive i doubt if very tough action needed to correct Nigeria's ills will ever get off the ground.[color=][/color]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Cannot Fold Hands And Endure Marginalization In Nigeria / The Truth Finally Comes Out: Why The 4 Uniport Students Were Killed / APC Steering Trouble With Their Campiagn Posters In Lagos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.