Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,480 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:14 PM

Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces (9166 Views)

How To Survive A Job Loss / How To Survive A Job Loss / Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by tttjacobs: 1:51pm On Sep 04, 2016
I personally believe that everyone has a talent or gift that if properly developed, can be a source of income for you no matter how small. There is nothing as satisfying as doing something you have a deep passion for and that passion is generating income for you. Great names like Bill Gates of Microsoft, Aliko Dangote, Ayo Animashaun of Hip-Hop world and Hip TV, etc. did not become successful just like that, they all developed their talents, gifts and passions to become what they are today. The simple truth is they are all ordinary human beings like you and I. They are doing what they love and have turned it to a source of income and so can you.

Here are 7 steps that can get you started on generating income by doing something you love.

1. What do you have in your hand? You need to think of what you love doing, what makes you happy, what you can do all day without it being a stress. According to Dictionary.com, talent is a “natural ability or aptitude” while potential is a “latent excellence or ability that may or may not be developed.” We notice the keyword here namely ABILITY, which may or may not be developed. The development aspect my friends depends on us i.e. the choice is ours.

2. Believe in yourself and your potential: Yes I can!!!! The mind is such a powerful weapon. Battles are first won or lost in the mind. “Believe it can be done. When you believe something can be done, really believe, your mind will finds ways to do it. Believing a solution paves way to the solution.” David J Schwartz, The magic of thinking big.

Yes doubts will come especially when things don’t go according to plan, but believe that it can be done. Like I usually say, ‘Once you see it, you can achieve it, desire to be great!’

3. Be bold, be strong, be courageous: When starting something new, leaving your comfort zone, you should know that there will always be criticism, negative and positive. Adversity and problems will arise and sometimes this forms of discouragement will come from dear ones like family members and close friends. “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always somebody to tell you you’re wrong.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.

“Adversity is always the partner of progress. Anytime you want to move forward, obstacles, difficulties, problems and predicaments are going to get in the way” John C Maxwell. So my friends be prepared and stand firm in what you believe.

4. Have a mentor: There is nothing new under the sun. Whatever you want to do in this life, someone has done it before successfully. Athletes have the potential to run, but they always need coaches to develop their ability. The great Usain Bolt has a coach that trained him to be what he is today.

“Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen and a push in the right direction “John C Crosby. Choose your mentor wisely, just like some supervisors, not all people in your line of potential are ready to develop others for reasons best known to them.

5. Be willing to learn: You may have a good mentor, but are you a good protégé? Are you teachable? Are you willing to learn? There’s a saying in the Bible, “Pride goes before a fall.” Nobody knows it all. The fact that you have talent does not make you the best. Learning is an everyday experience, we learn something new every day. In fact, I have learnt from little children also.

Be open and hungry for knowledge. “A winner knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others. A loser wants to be considered an expert by others before he has learned enough to show how little he knows” Sydney J Harris. Have a teachable spirit.

6. Take little steps: Rome was not built in a day. A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Don’t expect that because you have what it takes, your financial status will change immediately. Going step by step gives you the ability to be accountable. If anything goes wrong you will be quick to retrace your steps.

In my quest to be financially independent, I’ve made some mistakes too. I invested heavily in a venture without doing much research or seeking enough advice. Yes, I had a mentor, but he was only after his own gain. The more money I invested the better for him. Of course the business failed woefully and I became so bitter and angry with myself, but like I usually say, you have a work C.V. and a life experience C.V.

I simply added it to my life C.V. and moved on. But it was not easy, so much time and money was lost. Hence, my candid advise of people starting small so you won’t make the same mistake I made.

7. Put God in your plans: This, to me is the most important of all. Without Gods blessings, we cannot achieve anything. In fact potentials that you never knew you had can be revealed to you just by praying to Him for guidance. Give it a try, and you will be glad you did.

Cheers!!!!

Source http://www.simplybimpie.com/2016/08/job-loss-harsh-reality-7-things-to-help.html#more

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by mhisbliss(f): 6:36am On Sep 05, 2016
this days i prefer heartbreak to job loss, especially a high paying one, if you have any hold it tight, theres always someone waiting for that position you despise so much

4 Likes

Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by Nobody: 6:37am On Sep 05, 2016
contact your contacts when you were still employed, while in a particular job, be friendly with lots of your clients, you might need them when the chips are down..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by tuoyoojo(m): 6:37am On Sep 05, 2016
with the rate at which the economy is backsliding, every one under paid employment needs this info because right now, almost anything can happen

2 Likes

Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by kokozain(m): 6:37am On Sep 05, 2016
this is fantastic
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by herzern(m): 6:37am On Sep 05, 2016
8.) FARMING

Just resort into farminq sharp sharp.....
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by Heineken(m): 6:38am On Sep 05, 2016
Tor...make person bless me with job before this year finish abeg... Am tired
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by MilesLamar(m): 6:40am On Sep 05, 2016
Go to Ibiza n take a pill.. grin

2 Likes

Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by sommyblaze(m): 6:41am On Sep 05, 2016
Job, hmmm
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by steffans(m): 6:41am On Sep 05, 2016
Dis recession is getting real ever day!
Employers of labour having a field day with people's future and lives..
But how did we get hear?

1 Like

Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by ASAbraham(m): 6:42am On Sep 05, 2016
No wayo
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by eddyddon234(m): 6:43am On Sep 05, 2016
8. Don't complain about bad government & buhary...
tongue...you loosing ur job is part of the supposed change..

9. Don't join the nairaland chief wailers committee.. grin its totally of no use!

10. don't quote me
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by vinkod007: 6:44am On Sep 05, 2016
Good write up Op

1 Like

Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by eluquenson(m): 6:44am On Sep 05, 2016
It takes a strong mind to uphold all these, someone who loses his job is like a dead man living. It's never easy oh

That's why plan B is the best.

1 Like

Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by spartan50(m): 7:10am On Sep 05, 2016
Nice write up OP. Really helpful am on a venture now. Cool stuff
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by funnynation(m): 7:11am On Sep 05, 2016
Develop ur talent while you are still working. Invest in any business that can be giving you income on daily basis like barbing saloon, okada biz, keke biz or any other thing you can think of...

@Nairaland official comedian
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by wemmieslim(f): 7:17am On Sep 05, 2016
8: Go to work each day like it might be your last, means, SAVE!!!
This is not the time to be extravagant, cut down on the flamboyant life style, there's time for everything, this is not the time to show off.

Good morning Nairalanders.
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by toolyrics: 7:19am On Sep 05, 2016
Even I know sir how it feels to loose your job or not able to find your type of job. But then I have opened this blog and have putting all the things related to it. <a href="http://mp3songstoo.com/"> mp3songstoo </a> If you'll check it you will find some interesting stories of the people like you and us only

Kind regards

Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by kidco: 7:39am On Sep 05, 2016
Love this
fact is true
it is my saving grace today
tttjacobs:

I personally believe that everyone has a talent or gift that if properly developed, can be a source of income for you no matter how small. There is nothing as satisfying as doing something you have a deep passion for and that passion is generating income for you. Great names like Bill Gates of Microsoft, Aliko Dangote, Ayo Animashaun of Hip-Hop world and Hip TV, etc. did not become successful just like that, they all developed their talents, gifts and passions to become what they are today. The simple truth is they are all ordinary human beings like you and I. They are doing what they love and have turned it to a source of income and so can you.

Here are 7 steps that can get you started on generating income by doing something you love.

1. What do you have in your hand? You need to think of what you love doing, what makes you happy, what you can do all day without it being a stress. According to Dictionary.com, talent is a “natural ability or aptitude” while potential is a “latent excellence or ability that may or may not be developed.” We notice the keyword here namely ABILITY, which may or may not be developed. The development aspect my friends depends on us i.e. the choice is ours.

2. Believe in yourself and your potential: Yes I can!!!! The mind is such a powerful weapon. Battles are first won or lost in the mind. “Believe it can be done. When you believe something can be done, really believe, your mind will finds ways to do it. Believing a solution paves way to the solution.” David J Schwartz, The magic of thinking big.

Yes doubts will come especially when things don’t go according to plan, but believe that it can be done. Like I usually say, ‘Once you see it, you can achieve it, desire to be great!’

3. Be bold, be strong, be courageous: When starting something new, leaving your comfort zone, you should know that there will always be criticism, negative and positive. Adversity and problems will arise and sometimes this forms of discouragement will come from dear ones like family members and close friends. “Whatever course you decide upon, there is always somebody to tell you you’re wrong.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.

“Adversity is always the partner of progress. Anytime you want to move forward, obstacles, difficulties, problems and predicaments are going to get in the way” John C Maxwell. So my friends be prepared and stand firm in what you believe.

4. Have a mentor: There is nothing new under the sun. Whatever you want to do in this life, someone has done it before successfully. Athletes have the potential to run, but they always need coaches to develop their ability. The great Usain Bolt has a coach that trained him to be what he is today.

“Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen and a push in the right direction “John C Crosby. Choose your mentor wisely, just like some supervisors, not all people in your line of potential are ready to develop others for reasons best known to them.

5. Be willing to learn: You may have a good mentor, but are you a good protégé? Are you teachable? Are you willing to learn? There’s a saying in the Bible, “Pride goes before a fall.” Nobody knows it all. The fact that you have talent does not make you the best. Learning is an everyday experience, we learn something new every day. In fact, I have learnt from little children also.

Be open and hungry for knowledge. “A winner knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others. A loser wants to be considered an expert by others before he has learned enough to show how little he knows” Sydney J Harris. Have a teachable spirit.

6. Take little steps: Rome was not built in a day. A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. Don’t expect that because you have what it takes, your financial status will change immediately. Going step by step gives you the ability to be accountable. If anything goes wrong you will be quick to retrace your steps.

In my quest to be financially independent, I’ve made some mistakes too. I invested heavily in a venture without doing much research or seeking enough advice. Yes, I had a mentor, but he was only after his own gain. The more money I invested the better for him. Of course the business failed woefully and I became so bitter and angry with myself, but like I usually say, you have a work C.V. and a life experience C.V.

I simply added it to my life C.V. and moved on. But it was not easy, so much time and money was lost. Hence, my candid advise of people starting small so you won’t make the same mistake I made.

7. Put God in your plans: This, to me is the most important of all. Without Gods blessings, we cannot achieve anything. In fact potentials that you never knew you had can be revealed to you just by praying to Him for guidance. Give it a try, and you will be glad you did.

Cheers!!!!

Source http://www.simplybimpie.com/2016/08/job-loss-harsh-reality-7-things-to-help.html#more

1 Like

Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by olamds(m): 7:58am On Sep 05, 2016
Life Always Goes Oonnnnnnnn!!!!
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by Raalsalghul: 8:00am On Sep 05, 2016
funnynation:
Develop ur talent while you are still working. Invest in any business that can be giving you income on daily basis like barbing saloon, okada biz, keke biz or any other thing you can think of...

@Nairaland official comedian
Good advice!
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by Raalsalghul: 8:01am On Sep 05, 2016
wemmieslim:
8: Go to work each day like it might be your last, means, SAVE!!!
This is not the time to be extravagant, cut down on the flamboyant life style, there's time for everything, this is not the time to show off.

Good morning Nairalanders.
True talk!
Re: Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 05, 2016
Yomieluv:
contact your contacts when you were still employed, while in a particular job, be friendly with lots of your clients, you might need them when the chips are down..
bfo u just nailed it...

(1) (Reply)

Should A Man Wear Necklace To The Office? / Opinion: Akpata’s Own Law Of Recusal / Documents Nigeria Airways Retirees Must Take Along For Verification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.