Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,758 members, 7,802,320 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

Was Fulani History Truly Bloody? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Was Fulani History Truly Bloody? (4966 Views)

If Truly You Are Olden Days Pikin Then You'll Know These[pics] / 9 Truly Bizarre Things You Didn't Know About North Korea 'the Strangest Place On / Afonja Vs Igbo Real Life Fight Was Bloody. This Madness Has To Stop! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Fulani History Truly Bloody? by Fulaman198(m): 9:55pm On Jan 18, 2018
JikanBaura:
Ofcause it's bloody,

Human history is bloody, The Chinese, The white ,Ancient Egyptians , Christians, I Muslims , Songhai, Buzaye, Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, I every human history is bloody.

All that matters is, is it for good cause or it's just not.

I don't know the history of Fulani from other part of the world but for Nigeria it's was bloody, I before the Islamic jahad in Hausaland , Hausa kindoms were fighting with each other and blood in was shed, Then Dan fodio lead the jahad in Hausaland tO defend himself and his da'awa movement for Hausa Kings with the exception of zazzau were trying to kill him, I Zazzau and alots of people from different states join the movement. In doing so alot of people from Hausaland had lost their lives , that's for good cause.

Muslims go to war when touched to protect their right to life, religion , a Fulani man lead the jahad therefore I fulani history in Nigeria was bloody like everyone tribe history was.

Yes this is true, every culture has history that has its good and bad.

2 Likes

Re: Was Fulani History Truly Bloody? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jan 19, 2018
I partially agree with those who remain in the grey area but here are my two cents on the issue.

I think this perception stems from the fact that the defining/kairotic moment of fulani history was the wars they fought and prior to this there isnt much of note. The fact that this happened as recently as 2 centuries ago further strengthens this perception. Their name is synonymous with war.

Think of the scandinavians/vikings, who perhaps have the bloodiest history in the world but today have gone on to build the most ideal countries in the world. When you think about scandinavian countries the first thing that comes to your mind is peace and stability and they seem to have shaken off that identity.

Same cant be said about fulanis and their nations who have remained stagnant and penury strucken with no real sense of progress.

While i agree that they are not particularly blood thirsty as people ignorantly believe, it will take time and more importantly they as a people coming together to make something of themselves and let something positive other than war define them. Until then this tag will remain tattooed on their backs.

3 Likes

Re: Was Fulani History Truly Bloody? by Baaballiyo(m): 1:22am On Jan 20, 2018
DevdanSanguine:
I partially agree with those who remain in the grey area but here are my two cents on the issue.

I think this perception stems from the fact that the defining/kairotic moment of fulani history was the wars they fought and prior to this there isnt much of note. The fact that this happened as recently as 2 centuries ago further strengthens this perception. Their name is synonymous with war.

Think of the scandinavians/vikings, who perhaps have the bloodiest history in the world but today have gone on to build the most ideal countries in the world. When you think about scandinavian countries the first thing that comes to your mind is peace and stability and they seem to have shaken off that identity.

Same cant be said about fulanis and their nations who have remained stagnant and penury strucken with no real sense of progress.

While i agree that they are not particularly blood thirsty as people ignorantly believe, it will take time and more importantly they as a people coming together to make something of themselves and let something positive other than war define them. Until then this tag will remain tattooed on their backs.

@Bolded, going by wat u said, then It seems that tag will remained tattooed on our backs, bc unlike the Scandinavians, Fulani inspite of their population do not have the absolute majority in a single Country in Africa and to say we'll summon all Fulani from all over the world and establish our nation that wud be impossible.

But why does this tag remain with the Fulani only, inspite of most tribes have their own respective bloody eras in the past ? There are simple reasons,
First it's only in Nigeria that Fulani are tagged as thus, not even in Niger Republic, go to other countries with significant Fulani populations you won't see them tagged as thus. Secondly, most Nigerian Media houses or those controlling them wanted to demonise the Fulani for reasons better known to them. Most may give the clumsy excuse of the frequent clashes with herdsmen of Fulani extraction. First the herdsmen are not up to 10% of Nigerian Fulani, within this 10% not morethan 3% get involved in clashes. So for the sins of a few a whole tribe is condemned. Why wud the Media always use "Fulani herdsmen" ? As if there are another herdsmen that are not Fulani. Why not use only herdsmen only without attaching the Fulani jst like they do when Armed robbers or Kidnappers or Traffickers are apprehended. They don't Report the story, As Ibo robbers, Yoruba robbers, Hausa robbers, Kanuri robbers, Ijaw or Tiv Robbers, Kidnappers or traffickers.

No matter how developed or successful the Vikings are today, if they live in Nigeria of today and someone want do demonise them they wud surely be. Besides Fulani people are amongst the most successful people in Nigeria today. They're only being crucified bc of the sins of a few amongst them, and because some people are hell bent on rubbishing them.

3 Likes

Re: Was Fulani History Truly Bloody? by Nobody: 4:05am On Jan 20, 2018
Baaballiyo:

@Bolded, going by wat u said, then It seems that tag will remained tattooed on our backs, bc unlike the Scandinavians, Fulani inspite of their population do not have the absolute majority in a single Country in Africa and to say we'll summon all Fulani from all over the world and establish our nation that wud be impossible.

But why does this tag remain with the Fulani only, inspite of most tribes have their own respective bloody eras in the past ? There are simple reasons,
First it's only in Nigeria that Fulani are tagged as thus, not even in Niger Republic, go to other countries with significant Fulani populations you won't see them tagged as thus. Secondly, most Nigerian Media houses or those controlling them wanted to demonise the Fulani for reasons better known to them. Most may give the clumsy excuse of the frequent clashes with herdsmen of Fulani extraction. First the herdsmen are not up to 10% of Nigerian Fulani, within this 10% not morethan 3% get involved in clashes. So for the sins of a few a whole tribe is condemned. Why wud the Media always use "Fulani herdsmen" ? As if there are another herdsmen that are not Fulani. Why not use only herdsmen only without attaching the Fulani jst like they do when Armed robbers or Kidnappers or Traffickers are apprehended. They don't Report the story, As Ibo robbers, Yoruba robbers, Hausa robbers, Kanuri robbers, Ijaw or Tiv Robbers, Kidnappers or traffickers.

No matter how developed or successful the Vikings are today, if they live in Nigeria of today and someone want do demonise them they wud surely be. Besides Fulani people are amongst the most successful people in Nigeria today. They're only being crucified bc of the sins of a few amongst them, and because some people are hell bent on rubbishing them.

I think you've derailed the issue from history to present but i will indulge.

As to your first point, you may not have the absolute majority but you form part of the ruling class in a few countries. And what i speak of is more than leadership or building nations, its more about they as a people contributing to their societies. In many countries some "minorities" have managed to prosper even more than the other majorities.

Like i said, the fulani war was more recent and for other ethnicities its either their history is vague or their history is well established with other defining eras other than the wars they fought. Furthermore, what transpired during the war potrays them as power hungry usurpers. I know its complicated than that but thats the mainstream interpretation so yes there is the media influence.

Niger republic wont tag fulanis especially for anything because i feel they have less influence over there and Niger republic has a hausa majority population and mostly consists of sahelian people. Part of this tag i speak to has to do with ignorance and hatred. They do not hold any ill will towards fulanis, nor do they see them as adversaries so the narrative is different. I also dont think their war affected Niger as well. The nature of the country also helps with the compatibility of their lifestyle.

I see what you mean but certain natures of crime are attributed to a body. Unfortunately the name given to them has their ethnicity in there. If boko haram was inceptually tagged as kanuri " " that would be the case. If IPOB were to commit a crime youd know without a doubt that they're igbo. The herdsmen are seen as an organization or a group so theyre a victim of the name given to them rather than specific targetting.

I have to say, though some of these stories are one sided and sometimes untrue. Even as a subjective northerner who leans towards defending fulanis i also have to say the attrocities commited by these "herdsmen" has made it hard to defend them in recent months. It goes beyond their clashes with farmers but most armed robbery and kidnappings being committed in the north today is carried out by them. I know men (including fulani men) who have been kidnapped and released or killed but 90% of these cases will have a finger pointed at herdsmen. I think their problem is more deep rooted than farmer clashes and i feel their lifestyle just isnt compatible in modern times.

LOL and how exactly will they potray them? Too good and what they do and therefore are blood thirsty? If vikings/scandinavians were in Nigeria today i doubt anyone will have that leverage. Refer to my earlier point but there wont be anything in the present to reinforce these claims as there is with the fulanis. Again these people have completely reinvented themselves in their lifestyle and organization.

Yes the sins of the few but these are grevious and seemingly unrepentant sins. And i think this crucifixion is being directed not at all fulanis but the herdsmen who in my opinion truly deserve it. I dont think anyone will meet a well polished educated fulani man and automatically think blood thirsty. But this is part of the progress and organization i speak of, you need to know what to do about these people and how to deal with their transgressions.

As to your claim about success, thats what every other ethnicity claims.

1 Like

Re: Was Fulani History Truly Bloody? by Baaballiyo(m): 5:15pm On Jan 20, 2018
s

(1) (2) (Reply)

Notable Civil Wars In Nigerian History / Gur People Of Burkina, Mali, Cote D'ivoire, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Niger / Alternate Igbo History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.