Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:40 PM

Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? (5087 Views)

HILARIOUS!!!!! See A WAEC Candidate Labelling Of Female Reproductive System / Anyone With Solution To This WAEC Question. / Is This Person Really A 'WAEC' Candidate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by SmartThief(m): 9:53am On Sep 06, 2016
I was going thru my uncle's shelf- who is in his early 70's. I came across a further maths question paper which one of his sons who is now a medical doctor took back then in the 90's. They were given 2hrs to answer 8 questions from 10 with the usual part A and B. All the questions were tough but this particular question was off the chart! You mean this kan question for 15mins?

A particle moves along a straight line with an acceleration of 16cos(4t)cms-2, where t(s) is the time which has elapsed since the particle was at a given point 0 in the line. If the velocity of the particle at 0 was 2cms-1. Find;

(A) An expression for the distance Xcm of the particle from 0 at time t(s)
(B) the times after which the particle comes to rest, expressing your answers in terms of pi.

I would be glad if someone will help me to solve it...mehn..I feel for those kids o.
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by ikbnice(m): 10:16am On Sep 06, 2016
This is a Physics question not Further Mathematics.

3 Likes

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by nasiest(m): 10:21am On Sep 06, 2016
See this olodo,what is difficult here.mtceew

7 Likes

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by 007Nasky(m): 10:29am On Sep 06, 2016
motion question do appear in f/maths yearly.

1 Like

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by vickystaring(m): 12:17pm On Sep 06, 2016
ikbnice:
furthermaths is the combination of both physics n maths

4 Likes

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by Sirwallace(m): 12:53pm On Sep 06, 2016
Dude, the question is very simple. All you gotta do is integrate twice and slot in the value of the time given to get the magnitude of the distance.
As for the second question, integrate one, equate the result to zero and do some little algebra to get the value of t.

5 Likes

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by Decibel: 1:02pm On Sep 06, 2016
ikbnice:
It's the Mechanics/Dynamics of a particle in Additional Mathematics.
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by firstking01(m): 1:17pm On Sep 06, 2016
Hmmm, the op can't relate well cos he's not in engineering.
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by firstking01(m): 1:17pm On Sep 06, 2016
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by SmartThief(m): 2:07pm On Sep 06, 2016
ikbnice:
bro...it's further maths...
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by SmartThief(m): 2:10pm On Sep 06, 2016
Sirwallace:
Dude, the question is very simple. All you gotta do is integrate twice and slot in the value of the time given to get the magnitude of the distance.
As for the second question, integrate one, equate the result to zero and do some little algebra to get the value of t.
bro..have tried...could you help?
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by SmartThief(m): 2:11pm On Sep 06, 2016
007Nasky:
motion uestion do appear in f/maths yearly.
I know the ones you are speaking of...those are cheap!
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by SeyiAyorinde(m): 3:08pm On Sep 06, 2016
Sirwallace:
nice one.
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by tolugar: 3:36pm On Sep 06, 2016
Sirwallace:

Can you explain what you discussed

Plss
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by johnsonjosbles(m): 4:24pm On Sep 06, 2016
nasiest:
See this olodo,what is difficult here.mtceew
and u cant solve it ohn

1 Like

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by musicwriter(m): 5:03pm On Sep 06, 2016
That's to tell you the level our system of education has fallen.

And, that reminds me, sometime ago I saw ''the adventures of Tom Sawyer'' as one of the books in a senior WAEC. And I was like; what?!!. This's a book I read in primary six!!. The other was ''treasure island'' a book we read in JS2 now being used for senior WAEC!. Still, people will sit for WAEC these days and fail.

The reason for failure of education is very simple. The education was copied from Britain, and therefore is not ours. Everybody knows that the more you keep photocopying an original document, the more the subsequent copies lose quality. Your teacher's copy of education was better than yours, and your copy would be better than whoever you teach, and whoever you teach would have a better copy than whoever he/she would teach. And so on.............

Quality of education in Africa is in an evolutionary trajectory whereby there's consistent loss in quality at each generational transfer of knowledge. I've researched this and have concluded this's basically the reason the quality of education will continue to fall in Africa. Unless we uproot the model of education we inherited from Britain, education in Africa will continue to be worse off.

3 Likes

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by darkhorizon: 5:05pm On Sep 06, 2016
Sirwallace:

you are right for 1,but 2 is wrong.
if you integrate twice you get distance, and if you integrate once,you get velocity,and we are given the velocity, I.e 2cms-1,so we equate to this value;
the expression given to us us that of acceleration.
The answers are:
1) x=-cos4t
2)t=7.5secs

1 Like

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by stylochime: 5:26pm On Sep 06, 2016
darkhorizon:

you are right for 1,but 2 is wrong.
if you integrate twice you get distance, and if you integrate once,you get velocity,and we are given the velocity, I.e 2cms-1,so we equate to this value;
the expression given to us us that of acceleration.
The answers are:
1) x=-cos4t
2)t=7.5secs
1) Is Actually X= 2t -cos4t + 1
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by THUNDAR(m): 5:28pm On Sep 06, 2016
Sorry I read computer science! I only understand programing language!
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by darkhorizon: 6:05pm On Sep 06, 2016
stylochime:
1) Is Actually X= 2t -cos4t + 1
how did you get +1 and 2t.
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by stylochime: 6:43pm On Sep 06, 2016
darkhorizon:
how did you get +1 and 2t.
Luks Lyk U Hv 4gotn D Cnstant Of Integration C
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by darkhorizon: 7:01pm On Sep 06, 2016
stylochime:

Luks Lyk U Hv 4gotn D Cnstant Of Integration C

I know,but how did ur constant of integration amount to +1 and 2t,in cases if physical examples where a constant us not given,we assume it is 0.
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by hardbody: 7:20pm On Sep 06, 2016
SmartThief:
I was going thru my uncle's shelf- who is in his easy 70's. I came across a further maths question paper which one of his sons who is now a medical doctor took back then in the 90's. They were given 2hrs to answer 8 questions from 10 with the usual part A and B. All the questions were tough but this particular question was off the chart! You mean this kan question for 15mins?

A particle moves along a straight line with an acceleration of 16cos(4t)cms-2, where t(s) is the time which has elapsed since the particle was at a given point 0 in the line. If the velocity of the particle at 0 was 2cms-1. Find;

(B) the times after which the particle comes to rest, expressing your answers in terms of pi.

I would be glad if someone will help me to solve it...mehn..I feel for those kids o.

I timed myself and i solved it in 6 minutes.
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by SmartThief(m): 7:37pm On Sep 06, 2016
hardbody:

pls can you show your working...I can't wait to see how you did it!
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by darkhorizon: 7:41pm On Sep 06, 2016
hardbody:

achieved in less than a minute
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by Swizdom(m): 8:49pm On Sep 06, 2016
musicwriter:
That's to tell you the level our system of education has fallen.

And, that reminds me, sometime ago I saw ''the adventures of Tom Sawyer'' as one of the books in a WAEC. And I was like; what?!!. This's a book I read in primary six!!. The other was ''treasure island'' a book we read in JS2 now being used for WAEC!. Still, people will sit for WAEC these days and fail.

And the reason for the failure of education is very simple. The education was copied from Britain, and therefore is not ours. Everybody knows that the more you keep photocopying an original document, the more the subsequent copies lose quality. This's basically the reason the quality of education will continue to fall in Africa. Unless we uproot the model of education we inherited from Britain, education in Africa will continue to be worse off.

My man, you are absolutely right. I have embraced Youtube , LYNDA, UDEMY as my new school. Our university can kill one's original functional brain.

2 Likes

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Sep 06, 2016
SmartThief:
I was

(A) dv/dt=16cos4t
dv=16cos4t dt
v= 16int(cos4t)dt = 4sin4t + c
From the questn, boundary conditions(v,t) are (2,0)
c=2
Particular solution is v = 4sin4t + 2 .........1

ds/dt = 4sin4t + 2
s = int(4sin4t + 2)dt
s= -cos4t + 2t + c

Including boundary conditions, (s,t) = (0,0)
c=1
Particular solution = s = -cos4t + 2t + 1...........2

B) when particle comes to rest, ds/dt = 0 (stagnant)

0 = 4sin4t + 2
t = (1/4) arcsin (-0.5)
sin is negative in 3rd and 4th quadrant
t= (1/4).210deg or (1/4).330deg
Since pi=180deg or 2pi = 360, then
Values of t in seconds are, t=(7/24)pi or t = (11/24)pi

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by stylochime: 10:40pm On Sep 06, 2016
darkhorizon:

I know,but how did ur constant of integration amount to +1 and 2t,in cases if physical examples where a constant us not given,we assume it is 0.
In Physical Examples, U Always Use D Constant Cos D Cndition Is Always Given. Lyk In D Above Questn. Whn T=0, V= 2cms-1 And X=0cm
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by hardbody: 10:59pm On Sep 06, 2016
SmartThief:
pls can you show your working...I can't wait to see how you did it!

I am a smarterthief wink
Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by Walexsammy(m): 12:11am On Sep 07, 2016
THUNDAR:
Sorry I read computer science!
I only understand programing language!
if dem bring programming languages now, u go still deviate....we sabi una type tongue

2 Likes

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by chukxie(m): 1:52am On Sep 07, 2016
Respect to you guys. I respect people who can do things that I can't. Maths is one thing I was never able to get my head round in my secondary school days. Up til now my Maths still sucks. So, yeah, respect to you guys whose brains are able to grasp Maths.

1 Like

Re: Could You Believe This Was A WAEC Question? by 007Nasky(m): 6:58am On Sep 07, 2016
SmartThief:
I know the ones you are speaking of...those are cheap!
nt all ar cheap

(1) (2) (Reply)

Horrible World History / One Pictures Millions Words: Motivational Pictures With Deep Meaning / Pix : See How A Principal Decided To Solve Examination Malpractice In His School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.