Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,901 members, 7,799,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:52 PM

Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. (3201 Views)

Economic Recession: Nigerian Banks Prosper While Nigerians Groan / World Bank Says Nigeria Will Soon Recover From Economic Recession / Nigeria’s Economic Recession May Last 20 Years – Jimoh Ibrahim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by oteneaaron(m): 10:24am On Sep 07, 2016
The answer is an exciting YES!!

I am not happy about the recession, far from it. These are trying times for Nigerians and it affects us negatively in one way or the other. What I’m trying to say is that Nigerian Freelancers especially Online freelancers, are in a perfect position to weather the storm more than others.

These days when someone asks me, “Guy how work for this change na?” They may think that since I’m self employed , then business must be slow..but honestly this is my best year yet!

Well Here is why I believe the recession benefits Nigerian Freelancers

1. Freelancers can compete with Large Companies :
Most business seek the best talent at the best Price. Especially Small and Medium Enterprises. When the Economy was still booming, these businesses could have afforded paying huge salaries to highly talented staff. But these days, they are considering alternatives, such as Hiring a talented Freelancer who can produce the same(or in most times better)quality results at a Fraction of the price.

2. Most Companies in Nigeria aren’t Hiring :

But they still have loads of work to be done. Where do they look when they can’t afford to pay for salaries and benefits? Freelancers. Personally I made some reasonable cash last month by helping a company build their Website.

3. Freelancers can work anywhere :

The benefit of hiring Freelancers are two-tier: freelancers can practically set up shop at home, in an eatery (Personally I work from the Tantalizers restaurant in my area.), anywhere. Freelancers aren’t scared of relocating- as long as there is an Internet connection.

The other Benefit is that Freelancers can find Clients anywhere- and vice versa. Sourcegig.com for example has freelancers from all Cities in Nigeria, and Parts of Africa too. As a Freelancer you can handle Projects anywhere, not just in your home city.

What Your Thoughts?
Do you agree? Disagree? What effect has the Down economy had on your Freelance work? Let me know what you think!

source : https://www.sourcegig.com/recession-benefits-nigerian-freelancers/

2 Likes

Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by oteneaaron(m): 10:26am On Sep 07, 2016
cc: jeffreyjamez, mynd44, importexpert, smellymouth, delivite

Tell me what you guys think!
Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by Sourcegig(m): 10:32am On Sep 07, 2016
oteneaaron:
The answer is an exciting YES!!

I am not happy about the recession, far from it. These are trying times for Nigerians and it affects us negatively in one way or the other. What I’m trying to say is that Nigerian Freelancers especially Online freelancers, are in a perfect position to weather the storm more than others.

These days when someone asks me, “Guy how work for this change na?” They may think that since I’m self employed , then business must be slow..but honestly this is my best year yet!

Well Here is why I believe the recession benefits Nigerian Freelancers

1. Freelancers can compete with Large Companies :
Most business seek the best talent at the best Price. Especially Small and Medium Enterprises. When the Economy was still booming, these businesses could have afforded paying huge salaries to highly talented staff. But these days, they are considering alternatives, such as Hiring a talented Freelancer who can produce the same(or in most times better)quality results at a Fraction of the price.

2. Most Companies in Nigeria aren’t Hiring :

But they still have loads of work to be done. Where do they look when they can’t afford to pay for salaries and benefits? Freelancers. Personally I made some reasonable cash last month by helping a company build their Website.

3. Freelancers can work anywhere :

The benefit of hiring Freelancers are two-tier: freelancers can practically set up shop at home, in an eatery (Personally I work from the Tantalizers restaurant in my area.), anywhere. Freelancers aren’t scared of relocating- as long as there is an Internet connection.

The other Benefit is that Freelancers can find Clients anywhere- and vice versa. Sourcegig.com for example has freelancers from all Cities in Nigeria, and Parts of Africa too. As a Freelancer you can handle Projects anywhere, not just in your home city.

What Your Thoughts?
Do you agree? Disagree? What effect has the Down economy had on your Freelance work? Let me know what you think!

source : https://www.sourcegig.com/recession-benefits-nigerian-freelancers/
Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:37am On Sep 07, 2016
I couldnt Agree more....with the rate at which the economy is going down, Bigger comapanies are looking for freelancers to jobs as tecnical as Auditing...so this really is the best time for people to look into freelancing...me..I am not complaining grin wink

Nice one OP

1 Like

Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by oteneaaron(m): 10:43am On Sep 07, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
I couldnt Agree more....with the rate at which the economy is going down, Bigger comapanies are looking for freelancers to jobs as tecnical as Auditing...so this really is the best time for people to look into freelancing...me..I am not complaining grin wink

Nice one OP

hahaha..true talk bro....true talk!

1 Like

Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:55am On Sep 07, 2016
oteneaaron:

hahaha..true talk bro....true talk!

and there is this widespread belief that only IT professionals can go into Freelancing..but its false...any one can o into freelancing. werther you are a writer,an accountant,a blogger, e.t.c

cc:lalasticlala
Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by oteneaaron(m): 12:07pm On Sep 07, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

and there is this widespread belief that only IT professionals can go into Freelancing..but its false...any one can o into freelancing. werther you are a writer,an accountant,a blogger, e.t.c

Very True, there is even a new trend online...it's called the Freelance Econometrics......

Do you know the Freelancers can boost the Economy?

Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by hefelove(m): 12:18pm On Sep 07, 2016
So what kind of freelancer job can I do now?
Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by oteneaaron(m): 12:35pm On Sep 07, 2016
hefelove:
So what kind of freelancer job can I do now?

Any Job imaginable boss, right now on www.sourcegig.com we are targeting Freelancers from the following categories:

1. Web Developers

2. Graphics Designers and Illustrators

3. Digital Marketers

4. Content Developers.
Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by bqlekan(m): 12:38pm On Sep 07, 2016
oteneaaron:

Any Job imaginable boss, right now on www.sourcegig.com we are targeting Freelancers from the following categories:

1. Web Developers

2. Graphics Designers and Illustrators

3. Digital Marketers

4. Content Developers.

So when you need frelancers in paint production.. lemme know.. I can make paints from virtually anything grin

3 Likes

Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by Nobody: 7:52am On Sep 08, 2016
bqlekan:

So when you need frelancers in paint production.. lemme know.. I can make paints from virtually anything grin
You can still freelance, the only difference is you need a physical presence in the location. Unlike your vocation, OP is talking about online freelancing where one can do the work at home or wherever they find themselves armed with only a computer, an internet connection and electricity.
Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by Nobody: 7:56am On Sep 08, 2016
This is very true. I have a friend who freelances online and has managed to climb the reputational ladder, making hundreds of dollars per workload. He claims his economy runs on heaven's financial policies since the more the naira drops in the global market the more value he gets from putting in hardwork.

1 Like

Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by Nobody: 7:57am On Sep 08, 2016
oteneaaron:

Very True, there is even a new trend online...it's called the Freelance Econometrics......

Do you know the Freelancers can boost the Economy?

I can make the same argument about yahoo boys buts it's a debate for another day.
Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by bqlekan(m): 8:08am On Sep 08, 2016
charix:

You can still freelance, the only difference is you need a physical presence in the location. Unlike your vocation OP is talking about online freelancing where one can do the work at home or wherever they find themselves with a computer, internet connection and electricity.

Lol, was just playing around.. I'm not yet proficient in my programming skills, still at the learning process..

Writing articles ain't my thing.
Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by oteneaaron(m): 9:29am On Sep 08, 2016
charix:

I can make the same argument about yahoo boys buts it's a debate for another day.

Hahaahahaha...Please let's debate all we want!...we need to keep this thread alive...

Yahoo boys? undecided

But that's Fraud!! tongue
Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by oteneaaron(m): 9:31am On Sep 08, 2016
charix:
This is very true. I have a friend who freelances online and has managed to climb the reputational ladder, making hundreds of dollars per workload. He claims his economy runs on heaven's financial policies since the more the naira drops in the global market the more value he gets from putting in hardwork.

True talk, and they is a Job for everyone...

In Nigeria..

Online Freelance Portal-- www.sourcegig.com

Platform for artisans and blue Collar Jobs-- www.sharpy.com.ng, www.quickerrands.com.ng, www.wesabi.com ....I know the Founders of these Companies Personally...
Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 08, 2016
oteneaaron:

Hahaahahaha...Please let's debate all we want!...we need to keep this thread alive...

Yahoo boys? undecided

But that's Fraud!! tongue
Yet the money comes into Nigeria(foreign investment) and gets spent on commodities here. Even those buying electronics from overseas with the money still resell them here thereby creating money in form of sales tax to the Nigerian economy. One thing I know about yahoo boys is they mostly have the habit of reselling property in their endless quest to amass wealth.

I wouldn't continue after this input because although this is a forum I've found out debating is the most pointless activity one can engage in. I now share ideas because a lot of my most intense debates now feature back to backs against deleted accounts(majority of opponents saved face by deleting their accounts almost immediately).

1 Like

Re: Does the Current Economic Recession Benefit Nigerian Freelancers? - Here is How. by oteneaaron(m): 9:41am On Sep 08, 2016
charix:

Yet the money comes into Nigeria(foreign investment) and gets spent on commodities here. Even those buying electronics from overseas with the money still resell them here thereby creating money in form of sales tax to the Nigerian economy. One thing I know about yahoo boys is they mostly have the habit of reselling property in their endless quest to amass wealth.

I wouldn't continue after this input because although this is a forum I've found out debating is the most pointless activity one can engage in. I now share ideas because most of my most intense debates now feature back to backs against deleted accounts(majority of opponents saved face by deleting their accounts almost immediately).

You have a point...quite frankly...but it's just that, if it ain't right, it just isn't right...

So you mean to tell me,..you made NLers delete their accounts?......I hail oo tongue

(1) (Reply)

The Pretty Girl Seeking A Rich Husband & The Reply She Got From A Banker. / How To Register Foundations And Ngos In Nigeria. / Information/address Of A Tyre Retreading Company In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.