Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,386 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? (5275 Views)

Obiano Commissions Largest Poultry In The South East (photos) / My Grown/ready To Harvest Fish Pond / Sorghum Grown In Anambra State To Be Used By Many Industries(pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Pavore9: 2:53pm On Sep 08, 2016
The North is not stopping anyone from farming anything though the North is far bigger than the South in terms of landmass,........What can be grown in the North that can not be grown in the South?

We need to learn from each other.
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by SweetyZinta(f): 3:39pm On Sep 08, 2016
go to Jos you will know that the list is endless

fruits and vegetables inclusive
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Pavore9: 3:58pm On Sep 08, 2016
SweetyZinta:

Why not help us out with a list.

8 Likes

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Gric: 9:11pm On Sep 08, 2016
Pavore9:

Why not help us out with a list.
Exactly!

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by iyb(m): 12:12am On Sep 09, 2016
Cotton
Maize
Millet
Gum Arabic
Sesame Seeds
Sorghum
Beans
Groundnut
Vegetables
Tomatoes tongue
Tiger Nut
Ginger
and Many more

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by hahn(m): 10:09am On Sep 09, 2016
It is not exactly about what can't be grown it is more about the culture.

The Northerners are into farming but Southerners are not. Imagine here in Ogun state where the land is very fertile and the omo oniles are more interested selling off the land for real estate. Thousands of hecters of fertile land, their ancestors were cocoa and kolanut farmers, all sold to real estate companies with one big space purchased by RCCG for their tithe and offering business. Ogun state has the capacity to feed the whole country but most youths here won't go into that.

Most things can grow here. There is a cotton tree somewhere in my hood. I was surprised to see it when I first came here.

13 Likes

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Pavore9: 11:16am On Sep 09, 2016
hahn:

The Northerners are into farming but Southerners are not. Imagine here in Ogun state where the land is very fertile and the omo oniles are more interested selling off the land for real estate. Thousands of hecters of fertile land, their ancestors were cocoa and kolanut farmers, all sold to real estate companies with one big space purchased by RCCG for their tithe and offering business. Ogun state has the capacity to feed the whole country but most youths here won't go into that.

Most things can grow here. There is a cotton tree somewhere in my hood. I was surprised to see it when I first came here.

Yes it is more of orientation and the mental block that nourishes the mind that some things are not possible. Years back when l was working in Anambra State, l was trying to convince some local folks that they can also grow cucumber, cabbage, lettuce rather than their traders in those veggies going to Plateau State to get them but their fixed conviction that it only cassava, yam and cocoyam, breadfruit etc is what do well in their locale made them laugh me off.

For Ogun State being a neighbour to Lagos naturally makes it an extension of Lagos in terms of real estate but it has an enviable position through thought out planning of being a food source to the big Lagos market. If they go into dairy farming and producing up to a million litre of milk daily it will not even meet demand! If Strawberries are doing well in places similar to the hot and dry Sokoto state then it is very possible in Ogun State.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by ops(m): 6:03pm On Sep 09, 2016
iyb:
Cotton
Maize
Millet
Gum Arabic
Sesame Seeds
Sorghum
Beans
Groundnut
Vegetables
Tomatoes tongue
Tiger Nut
Ginger
and Many more

Your list is obviously wrong; you even included maize!!!
The only items on your list I haven't seen grown in the west are ginger, tiger nut (don't know what that is), seseme seeds and gum arabic.

5 Likes

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by anienge001: 9:24pm On Sep 09, 2016
ops:

The only items on your list I haven't seen grown in the west are ginger, tiger nut (don't know what that is), seseme seeds and gum arabic.

Ginger does well in the South. Between 1995-2000, my mentor made good money from ginger even in the South-South.
It grows anywhere in Naija.

6 Likes

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by grace2all: 1:10pm On Sep 10, 2016
Almost anything can be grown here in the south, especially with present day technology where even cold loving plants have varieties that have been adapted to grow in hot climate. The problem is our perception of "farming" we most times associate it with poverty, but I think that is changing now, a lot of people are beginning to flock down this path

4 Likes

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:03pm On Sep 10, 2016
ops:

Tigernut is called ofio/aki Hausa.
Grows well in the south/Lagos on sandy soils not not in commercial quantity
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by jantavanta(m): 7:24am On Sep 11, 2016
grace2all:
Almost anything can be grown here in the south, especially with present day technology where even cold loving plants have varieties that have been adapted to grow in hot climate. The problem is our perception of "farming" we most times associate it with poverty, but I think that is changing now, a lot of people are beginning to flock down this path

It is "oyel" money that made us associate farming with poverty.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Aaknu: 8:15pm On Dec 08, 2016
@pavore9, please I would like to chat you privately on farming of some crops. If you oblige, kindly send your mail or phone number to dgr8estintalet@yahoo.com. thanks in anticipation for a favourable response

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by dgitrader(m): 5:31am On Dec 09, 2016
Potatoes (irish), i am presently into it in jos, with the long term goal of replecating its yeild southsouth. Its not imposibble.

3 Likes

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by loshybab(m): 7:52am On Dec 11, 2016
ops:

tigernut is what we call 'imumu' or 'ofio' in the south......hausas call it 'aya'

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by femnet29(m): 10:57pm On Jan 28, 2017
Anyway God relay bless us in Nigeria compere with some country,
Both South West, and Northern part of the country,
We experience little change in times of climatical change with favourite to some plant which it may not be able to do well, in Northern part.
Note it is not that they will not germinate but the rate of production will likely reduce, also in southwest.

Our pomology company are located at southwest, where we produced fruit crop's, with the glory of God since when we started the company none of our customers give bad report of their farm products, some of hybrid plant we supplied them are pineapple suckers, orange Budded, mangos seedlings, avocado, plantain and Banana suckers, cashew seedlings, pawpaw seedlings, oil plam trees,guava seedlings, petanga seedlings, etc, you also can request for your own, check femnet pomology services company.
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Uvo11: 9:14am On Jan 31, 2017
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by iyb(m): 12:12am On Sep 09, 2016
Cotton
Maize
Millet
Gum Arabic
Sesame Seeds
Sorghum
Beans
Groundnut
Vegetables
Tomatoes
Tiger Nut
Ginger
and Many more

There is probably no vegetable and grain on this list that can't be grown in the south. E.g. I tested sesame on my small farm in lekki and it did very well. It's all a question of attitude and cultural orientation, I think.
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Nobody: 10:45am On Jan 31, 2017
hahn:

I plan to own a farm in Ogun state this year. however, when we went for sight seeing, the pieces of land we found were 350k per acre. As a student, I simply cannot afford that. I am considering Bank of Industry loans but I haven't made up my mind yet.

I strongly believe in the agricultural sector and I seriously want to hop in.
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by haulagehandlers(m): 6:49pm On Jan 31, 2017
Teempakguy:
I plan to own a farm in Ogun state this year. however, when we went for sight seeing, the pieces of land we found were 350k per acre. As a student, I simply cannot afford that. I am considering Bank of Industry loans but I haven't made up my mind yet.

there are cheaper farmland in ogun state,call 09067272907.
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by hahn(m): 8:48pm On Jan 31, 2017
Teempakguy:

I live in Ogun state. How about we come up with a group ,preferably whatsapp, where people can invest and raise funds for agricultural purposes.

We can start small, rent a plot or two of land and grow some cucumber, tomatoes and move up.

Members can also have access to training, excursions and support to own their own independent farms in the future.

I have had the idea for a while. We can make it work.

Whayasay?
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Walexz02(m): 12:14pm On Feb 01, 2017
hahn:

I live in Ogun state. How about we come up with a group ,preferably whatsapp, where people can invest and raise funds for agricultural purposes.

We can start small, rent a plot or two of land and grow some cucumber, tomatoes and move up.

Members can also have access to training, excursions and support to own their own independent farms in the future.

Whayasay?
I love this idea. I am a graduate of agricultural engineering with much love for farming (both live stocks and plants). I will be rounding off my NYSC year in a couple of months. This could be a good landing business bro.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Nobody: 1:02am On Feb 02, 2017
hahn:

Whayasay?
I'm not saying your idea is bad . . . but generally, it is not advice-able in business to have a lot of "founders" for any business. especially when they all want the same thing and all have the same skills. An idea that potentially could be a safer alternative would be you . . . and perhaps someone else . . . fleshing out an attractive business plan rooted in agriculture, and then soliciting for investors. You would of course present to them when and how they are going to recoup their investment. And then, you could add all these investors to the whatsapp group and "report" to them on how things are going. That way, you get to keep the profit, the shares, and avoid unnecessary stories that touch. I personally would invest into something like that.

what do you say?

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by hahn(m): 10:01am On Feb 02, 2017
Teempakguy:
I'm not saying your idea is bad . . . but generally, it is not advice-able in business to have a lot of "founders" for any business. especially when they all want the same thing and all have the same skills. An idea that potentially could be a safer alternative would be you . . . and perhaps someone else . . . fleshing out an attractive business plan rooted in agriculture, and then soliciting for investors. You would of course present to them when and how they are going to recoup their investment. And then, you could add all these investors to the whatsapp group and "report" to them on how things are going. That way, you get to keep the profit, the shares, and avoid unnecessary stories that touch. I personally would invest into something like that.

what do you say?

Good points

However, I am not too keen on seeking investors. I believe more in starting something from small and growing it. This strategy has helped me in my businesses without the stress from "investors".

Besides, before anyone would invest it is always better to have something to show, like an account for expenditure and proof that the business is profitable or that you can handle funds properly.

I will give your suggestions a thought though and develop the idea more.
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Nobody: 12:05am On Feb 04, 2017
hahn:

Good points

However, I am not too keen on seeking investors. I believe more in starting something from small and growing it. This strategy has helped me in my businesses without the stress from "investors".

Besides, before anyone would invest it is always better to have something to show, like an account for expenditure and proof that the business is profitable or that you can handle funds properly.

I will give your suggestions a thought though and develop the idea more.
We can always reach a compromise, keep thinking! grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 1:24pm On Feb 04, 2017
I don't think there z anything that can be grown in d north that can't grow in d south..... It's just people's way of thinking

Can't believe my dad never knew that cucumber could grow in d S.E, peeps was even more surprised when I said ull start harvesting within 2months

Now I'm in d S.W for sometime n I've decided to carry out a project on that with a small group of sec.school students before I leave..... U should c d surprises on their parents faces n even d school management when I brought up d idea.... They all believe it's only a north affair but I believe when this experiment works out fine by God's grace, they'll c it isn't so

Lemme add that there is a cotton tree in my school at Enugu (UNN) so even cotton can grow in other places aside North
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Pavore9: 4:09pm On Feb 04, 2017
Yampotatocarrot:
I don't think there z anything that can be grown in d north that can't grow in d south..... It's just people's way of thinking

Can't believe my dad never knew that cucumber could grow in d S.E, peeps was even more surprised when I said ull start harvesting within 2months

Now I'm in d S.W for sometime n I've decided to carry out a project on that with a small group of sec.school students before I leave..... U should c d surprises on their parents faces n even d school management when I brought up d idea.... They all believe it's only a north affair but I believe when this experiment works out fine by God's grace, they'll c it isn't so

Lemme add that there is a cotton tree in my school at Enugu (UNN) so even cotton can grow in other places aside North

Unfortunately, we grew up with such misconception. I recall way back in 2007 l was telling some salad vegetables traders in Awka that cabbage, lettuce, cucumber, eggplants, peas they go up North to buy can be grown in Anambra State, they were staring at me like as if l was high on weed!

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by fasterwell(m): 1:02pm On Feb 05, 2017
SweetyZinta:

Not true

What matters is the type of seed(s) and the temperature that will suit them.
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 1:28pm On Feb 05, 2017
fasterwell:

Not true

What matters is the type of seed(s) and the temperature that will suit them.

Correct.... N there z also d place of greenhouses which can be practised ANYWHERE......
Re: What Can Be Grown In The North That Can Not Be Grown In The South? by fasterwell(m): 2:49pm On Feb 05, 2017
Yampotatocarrot:

Correct.... N there z also d place of greenhouses which can be practised ANYWHERE......

Yes greenhouse farming is suitale for those seeds that can't tolerate high temperature.

All of Naija is blessed with good soil and temperature. If Southerners( East, West n South ) can change their mentality and embrace agriculture, Northern influence in terms of food production will no longer exist.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Quality Creates For Your Eggs. At A Very Cheap Wholesale Price. / Free Range Snail Farm Construction System.(videos) / Green Nation Nigeria Agriculture Business Opportunity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.