Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly (56919 Views)

Help: How Do I Connect Two Laptops With A Usb Cable? / How To Connect Two Ups Batteries To Only One Ups Device / How Do I Connect Two Pcs For Offline File Transfer. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by gbengaijot(m): 2:24pm On Dec 18, 2006
Can you guys help me out with networking my computers.
I have a old compaq presario 1600. It onkly have a usb port for internet connection. I have been using it for broadband over 6 months, but since its old,
i bought a new EI systesm laptop which is a wireless laptop. I would like to network both of them wirelessly.
I understand that i have to buy a wireless kit but how do i go about networking a wireless laptop with a non-wireless one. i dont really want to upgrade the old compaq since i only leave it to my flatmates to use, in the living room while my new one will stay put in my bedroom.
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 18, 2006
You need to buy a wireless network card for the older desktop (or is it a laptop?). A USB wireless card would have been the easiest to install but Since the only USB port is in use for the internet connection, you would have to get a PCMCIA (also known as CardBus) wireless card.

When it is installed, you can create a peer-to-peer wireless network (known as an Ad-Hoc wireless network). I can give you detailed installation instructions but you need to let me know what you have on ground and the config of the two systems.
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by gbengaijot(m): 7:45pm On Dec 18, 2006
The old compaq presario has two USB port. I only use one of it for internet connection. a USB wireless card could be good. Give me more info man,
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 18, 2006
Ok, get a USB wireless card and install it according to manufacturer's instructions. Then (i assume u are using windows XP), select the newly added "Wireless Network Connection" in Start -> ControlPanel -> Network COnnections, right-click and choose "properties". Then click on the Tab that says "wireless networks", (see picture below)

[list]

[li]Check the box labelled "use windows to configure my wireless settings"[/li]
[li]Click Add. [/li]

[li]In Network name (SSID), type a name for the wireless network. [/li]

[li]In Network Authentication, click an item in the list. For the network authentication method, it is recommended that you choose Open. When the open method is combined with a wired equivalent privacy (WEP) network key, all network traffic is encrypted. If you choose Shared, a network key is still required, and even if you use a WEP network key, network traffic is not encrypted, which makes your network more vulnerable to intrusions.
[/li]

[li]If you want this to be a security-enabled network:
[list]
[li]in Data encryption, select the encryption method. [/li]
[li]In Network key, type the network key, and then in Confirm network key, retype the key. (this is like a password so that snoopers dont use your network to browse for free)[/li]
[li]select the This is a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are not used check box. [/li]
[/list]
[/list]

CLose all the dialog boxes. Now do the same on the other computer.

Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by gbengaijot(m): 12:42pm On Dec 22, 2006
@gridlock, sorry if i am a pain in d ass. Isnt it good if i get a USB adapter?. I have decided to use a Dynamode Bluetooth USB v1.2 Dongle to connect both PC together as peers. Do you think this type of USB dongle is good?.

check this link http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=3354&CategoryID=99&SubCategoryID=207.

My other laptop seems to have a bluetooth connectyion anyway.

ALso, after peering with the other laptop, how can i connect the new laptop to an internet connection. can i just access internet from the older computer?.or will i have to buy a wireles router?
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by flamz(m): 2:17am On Jun 20, 2008
I GUESS I'M HAVING A SIMILAR PROBLEM 2.
ONE OF MY LAPTOPS RUNS ON VISTA WHILE THE OTHER RUNS ON WINDOWS XP.
HOW DO I GO ABOUT THE WHOLE THING?
DO YOU THINK THEY ARE COMPATIBLE?
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by sfinxone(m): 6:53am On Jun 21, 2008
If Both computers have wireless cards, u can connect both through a peer to peer network. You have to make one of the computers the host, then the other one connects to it. Use the one that has Vista installed on it because the steps involved to make it the host are easier. Go to Help on the start menu and type "wireless network" for info on how to create a peer to peer network.

Hope this helps.
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by Sholayaq: 7:51pm On Jun 23, 2008
Hello,
I hope you have been able to resolve your your problem,
Goo luck.
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by konari(m): 10:41pm On Jun 23, 2008
please how do i connect two laptops via bluetooth, i'm trying to share internet connection of one laptop with the other wirelessly(pls permit the grammar) one laptop has dial up internet connection and i want to share the internet connection with the other laptop via bluetooth
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by babalolas(m): 12:12pm On Jun 28, 2008
please i really need your help. the problem is this , i have 2 laptop, p3 and pm and i use starcomms table phone for my internet connection. how do i network the 2 computers using just 1 table phone.
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by odare24(m): 10:35pm On Jul 09, 2008
Currently, i am using my laptop (vista) and desktop (xp) to browse. The desktop is connected to my multilinks while i network it with the laptop. i mean laptop is connected to desktop, then desktop is connected to multilink (you can as well use it with any internet connection i.e. starcomms, broadband etc).

I understand you are talking about wireless connection. if with wireless connection then you need to buy pcmcia wireless card for you older laptop and that is about N4,500.

But i will suggest wired. it doesn't cost you fortune. As a matter of fact you may not even spend more the N300 for making cross wire internet cable (or you could buy ready made for around N500).

To get started the wireless for the advice the other brother gave you, but for wire check your two laptops and make sure they have this port (you see i have to spend my time to browse the port for you online-i'm expexcting credit on my phone for appreciation) JUST JOKING!!!.

You could give me a call on this line 08075313245

This works for both desktop and laptops and it's pretty cheap

Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by ayobase(m): 4:50pm On Aug 16, 2008
gotten something here,,,,,,,,good!!
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by AloyEmeka9: 5:26pm On Oct 30, 2008
You need to buy a wireless network card for the older desktop (or is it a laptop?). A USB wireless card would have been the easiest to install but Since the only USB port is in use for the internet connection, you would have to get a PCMCIA (also known as CardBus) wireless card.

When it is installed, you can create a peer-to-peer wireless network (known as an Ad-Hoc wireless network). I can give you detailed installation instructions but you need to let me know what you have on ground and the config of the two systems.
I concur.
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by paulgreat(m): 10:53am On Sep 23, 2009
hi
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by Enshol: 7:06am On Nov 05, 2010
This is educative
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by jamace(m): 11:03am On Feb 21, 2012
I like this. cool

Please any more latest way to get this done?.
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by bashybiggy: 5:58am On Nov 22, 2012
I am using a Dell inspiron N5010 and Compaq HP presario CQ60, I am using Izap starcomms model for my browser on my Dell, now I want to connect it with my HP, though I connect the wireless together already but it says NO INTERNET ACCESS on the wireless. Kindly help me with this issue and I will be very glad to know it.

Thanks Alot!
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by abohrandy: 8:20am On Nov 22, 2012
bashybiggy: I am using a Dell inspiron N5010 and Compaq HP presario CQ60, I am using Izap starcomms model for my browser on my Dell, now I want to connect it with my HP, though I connect the wireless together already but it says NO INTERNET ACCESS on the wireless. Kindly help me with this issue and I will be very glad to know it.

Thanks Alot!

what operating system are you using? i think from there we can pick it up!!
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by abohrandy: 8:22am On Nov 22, 2012
gbengaijot: @gridlock, sorry if i am a pain in d ass. Isnt it good if i get a USB adapter?. I have decided to use a Dynamode Bluetooth USB v1.2 Dongle to connect both PC together as peers. Do you think this type of USB dongle is good?.

check this link http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=3354&CategoryID=99&SubCategoryID=207.

My other laptop seems to have a bluetooth connectyion anyway.

ALso, after peering with the other laptop, how can i connect the new laptop to an internet connection. can i just access internet from the older computer?.or will i have to buy a wireless router?

internet over bluetooth is one of the biggest mistakes u will ever make. and dere is a big difference between wireless networks and bluetooth. forget the fact that they are both wireless sha. get a wireless network card or usb, bruv!!
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by bashybiggy: 8:57am On Nov 25, 2012
abohrandy:

what operating system are you using? i think from there we can pick it up!!
The Dell is 64-bit operating system while the HP Compaq is 32-bit operating system... I hope to hear from you real soon... Thank You very much!!!
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by abohrandy: 9:30am On Nov 25, 2012
bashybiggy: The Dell is 64-bit operating system while the HP Compaq is 32-bit operating system... I hope to hear from you real soon... Thank You very much!!!

oh boi, windows what?
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by bashybiggy: 5:59pm On Nov 25, 2012
abohrandy:

oh boi, windows what?
both are window 7
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by abohrandy: 6:30pm On Nov 26, 2012
Connect ur modem, go to the properties(of the modem) and go to the sharing tab and choose ur wireless card as the target of the sharing.
U create an adhoc network on one of them and connect the other to it and u r on!

Sorry I am not on ma pc now!! I am just wirting from my head!! Hope it makes some sensen!!
Re: How Do I Connect Two Laptops Together Wirelessly by itstpia8: 1:24pm On Apr 14, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Best Home Internet Service In Nigeria? / To Transfer Pictures From Computer To Digital Camera / Mtn Bis Working Unlimited On Pc's And Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.