Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,814 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get (37464 Views)

The History Of The Lagos BRT (25 Things Every Lagosian Must Know) / ‘I Went To Libya With Two Legs, Came Back An Amputee’ – Returnee / Kenyan Lady: “Every Nigerian Is Frustrated And Likes To Shout” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by MENTORCH(m): 10:32pm On Sep 10, 2016
If you didn't spend your first 13years abroad,even if you live abroad for 40years your accent can't change unless you are forming it.

10 Likes

Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by yomz1e(m): 10:33pm On Sep 10, 2016
My friends use to laff at me when I tried .. So I stopped and just speak Yoruba or cockney

Pseudonymous:
9. Your friends, whenever you try to speak pidgin:

Please stop.
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by Christardor: 10:33pm On Sep 10, 2016
Abeg who has ijebu garri?....i neva chop since time immemorial.
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by giftedheart1(m): 10:34pm On Sep 10, 2016
I'm here to check for names n to look at pictures...
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by SenatorTobijah(m): 10:34pm On Sep 10, 2016
They always like to show "I too sabi attitude". Even the literates who by chance traveled will be forming assent on top wrong English.

1 Like

Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by koife(m): 10:35pm On Sep 10, 2016
I launched today a free access audio book series.
kindly follow the link below
https://soundcloud.com/josef-eja/understanding-faith-part-1/stats
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by Josmila(m): 10:35pm On Sep 10, 2016
1,2, 10 be the funniest!

1 was so apt, the first price you pay for that 'haccent' is yellow cab operators slamming you with ridiculous fares cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by kiddkash(m): 10:40pm On Sep 10, 2016
una no try at all not even 1 like for all these posts
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by junnyjake(m): 10:40pm On Sep 10, 2016
yomz1e:
My friends use to laff at me when I tried .. So I stopped and just speak Yoruba or cockney

Cockney accent? It's one of the very few accents I've tried to mimic. Always failed at that. :-/
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by martineinstein(m): 10:42pm On Sep 10, 2016
nigerians will be forming 'received pronunciation' and yet their diction is zero...i heard if cant form or speak british accent during OAP auditioning,u wll be automatically disqualified......y do we fool ourselves with low self esteem? For crying out loud,nigerian accent is 5th most loved accent in d world.

I boarded a bus(god is good motors) yeaterday and there was dis benin man forming american accent.he was just fooling himself complaining and making calls in american accent.trust nigerians inside d bus:everybody turned deaf ears

4 Likes

Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by chubbygal(f): 10:46pm On Sep 10, 2016
Dry joke!!! Take am sad

Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by Tinyemeka(m): 10:48pm On Sep 10, 2016
Millz404:
Naija American : aey son, amma need you to geh me somwer real quick, i need to geh som'im, unowom sayin

Taxi man : ok oga, ur money na 10 thousand naira

Naija American : jesus christ, since when, bia nwokem, don't play with me, its 500 naira
It's called Linguistic reset. smiley

1 Like

Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by Ugosample(m): 10:54pm On Sep 10, 2016
MENTORCH:
If you didn't spend your first 13years abroad,even if you live abroad for 40years your accent can't change unless you are forming it.

There are accent coaches bro.

Listen to Boris Kodjoe speak.
He moved to the U.S. in his 20s, and speaks like an American.

It is possible bro, just that it is very tough.
But with determination, and using accent coaches, it us achievable.
I did that with French
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by GossipHeart(m): 10:57pm On Sep 10, 2016
My kid sister was born in the united States and she's now 24
She speak igbo pass some people wey dey Nigeria

1 Like

Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by GossipHeart(m): 11:04pm On Sep 10, 2016
There's nothing like an American accent.

People from New York don't talk like People from Alaska

People from California don't speak like people from Mississippi

People from the east coast of USA do not understand the southern accent

Even the people that were born in America, spent 60 years in America, they don't understand the southern accent, especially when the rednecks talks or Black people from Atlanta. (Future, Designer, Rich Homie Quan, Migos) these are Niggas from Atlanta

3 Likes

Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by Nobody: 11:10pm On Sep 10, 2016
missingrib:
Not spicy enough... More ingredients needed

Hehe shey you know how to cook?
you can add spices ni
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by YhungPablo(m): 11:11pm On Sep 10, 2016
McBrooklyn:
Lol, and this is for the BlackBerry users worldwide cheesy cheesy

If only bb curve can take selfie.
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by yomz1e(m): 11:11pm On Sep 10, 2016
Watch eastenders and TOWIE

junnyjake:

Cockney accent? It's one of the very few accents I've tried to mimic. Always failed at that. :-/
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by junnyjake(m): 11:18pm On Sep 10, 2016
yomz1e:
Watch eastenders and TOWIE
Sure would do. Thanks.
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by riczy(m): 11:19pm On Sep 10, 2016
Wats happening here?
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by pippimp(m): 11:20pm On Sep 10, 2016
I learnt my lesson the hard way. I just let my brother do the talking for me. The fear of a Nigerian is the beginning of wisdom.
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by Rick9(m): 11:33pm On Sep 10, 2016
Their problems anyway read this story
By Smallville10

Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by Thobiy(m): 11:35pm On Sep 10, 2016
Very very true
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by McBrooklyn(m): 11:36pm On Sep 10, 2016
YhungPablo:

If only bb curve can take selfie.

Lol cheesy cheesy
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by akigbemaru: 11:46pm On Sep 10, 2016
Naija foreign accent
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by Nobody: 11:53pm On Sep 10, 2016
the pidgin part is so true. my cousins are always laughing at the way i speak. ugh
the day i will visit Nigeria, i'm gonna have a Nigerian accent by force. I cant be dealing with all this grin
Re: 12 Things Every Nigerian That Came Back With A Foreign Accent Will Get by Nobody: 11:59pm On Sep 10, 2016
MENTORCH:
you're kind of right but if you go abroad as a child and spend a significant amount of time with children with foreign accents at school, its very easy to catch on because children are very impressionable. Even if you went abroad at the age of 13, you could still have your accent affected by the people around you. happened to me

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

You Will Not Believe This Transformation Of The UAE / Accident Victims After Abaji, Abuja Road. Do You Know Them? (Photos) / Tragedy As Tanker Ram Into A Beer Palour In PH, 4 Persons Crushed To Death(p

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.