Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,326 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis (7838 Views)

Why Is Sex Attached To Sin By Most Religion? / What Is The Unforgivable Sin? - Paul Ellis / Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:44am On Sep 11, 2016
Grace-preachers attract sinners and that is a good thing. If you are a sinner – you have come to the right place! Sinners are welcome in the House of Grace. I wish our churches were magnets for sinners for that would be a sure sign we were preaching the true gospel of grace.

If this scandalizes you then you may want to avert your eyes from the One called the Friend of Sinners. Jesus didn’t wait for sinners to come to Him; He literally went into their homes and got Himself invited to their parties. That’s because grace is for sinners. It is not for those who think they are basically good and decent people. As Jesus said, “I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners” (Mt 9:13).
So I suppose I should be thrilled that I get a lot of correspondence from sinners – and I am. What is less thrilling is the correspondence I get from saints who think they are sinners and who want me to validate their choice to act like sinners.

Why do saints act like sinners?

Some may do it out of ignorance (“I am holy? I didn’t know!”) or out of a fatal belief that they can live by law and call it grace (“ I’m just trying to live by the red letters of Jesus ”). But a saint who acts like a sinner is a hypocrite – they are acting like someone they are not.

In a recent post I dealt with five questions I typically hear from hot-blooded young men . But today I want to answer the biggest question of all…

Is grace a license to sin?

No. It is true that grace brings freedom and that includes the freedom to make poor choices, but if you use your freedom to enslave yourself to sin, then you have missed the point of grace:

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. (Gal 5:1)

The purpose of grace is to liberate the prisoner and give life to the dead. Grace is also good news for the poor (Lk 4:18-19). So if you use grace to enslave or impoverish yourself by making dumb decisions and indulging the flesh, then you are setting aside grace. You are not using it for its intended purpose. Grace liberates, but if you use your freedom to discard your freedom, then what was the point? You are no better off than when you started.

Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound. (Rom 5:20)

Don’t ever fall for the lie that says “I can go on sinning so that grace may abound.” True, your sinning won’t affect God’s love for you, but it will surely affect you. It will enslave you and ultimately kill you. This is not God’s will for your life.
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. (Rom 6:1)

Grace is no more a license to sin than electricity is a license to electrocute yourself. True, you can use electricity to electrocute yourself but God forbid that you would! That’s not what it’s for. God created electricity so you could enjoy light and warmth and ESPN’s SportsCenter. Grace, like electricity is meant to bring life not death and there is no life in sin.

We need to see sin for what it really is. It is not some benign activity like making coffee or hitting free-throws down the stretch. As God warned Cain, Sin is a crouching beast that desires to master you. Running after Sin is about as smart as poking a pit-bull with a stick.

They may take our lives, but they’ll never take our freedom!

The apostle of grace wrote much about how sin enslaves and he wasn’t just talking about sinners: “You are slaves to the one whom you obey” (Rom 6:16). Now please understand I am drawing a big fat line between a saint who occasionally sins and a sinner who runs after sin. There is a big difference. The former finds himself doing what he doesn’t want to do; the latter is doing exactly what he wants to do. If you are troubled when you sin, relax – your discomfort is actually a sign of the new nature and new desires within you. Your heart is to please the Lord. But if you are untroubled when you sin – perhaps because you think grace is a license to sin – then wake up and smell the coffee. Something is very wrong.

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age. (Tit 2:11-12)

I am aware that some use this scripture to promote behavior modification thus condemning those who are struggling to overcome sin. (If you are trying to overcome sin, check out the excellent links at the end of this post.) The point I want to make here is this: The grace of God that brings salvation teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness. So any grace that isn’t teaching you to say “No” is counterfeit grace. Is grace a license to sin? Only if it is fake grace.

So why do I still sin?

I suspect there are two reasons. Either you don’t know who you really are and you are still running on the operating system you had when you followed the way of the world. Or you are an unbeliever. The grace that teaches us to say no only comes through faith. If you don’t believe you can say no then, guess what, you won’t. This is why it is imperative to declare what the Bible says is true about you.

If you are a Christian you are a new creation. The new has come and the old has gone. When you came to Christ you did not sign up for a program of life-long reform and self-improvement. That way lies disaster and disappointment. Christ is your life. Learn to allow Him to express His flawless, sinless life through your earthen vessel.

When you get up in the morning, look at yourself in the mirror and declare “I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. I am His dearly loved child.” When you’re about to click on a link that you should not click or when reaching for some substance that is killing you, say it again: “I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. I am His dearly loved child.” This is not the power of positive thinking. This is a frail human being tapping into the inexhaustible riches of His transforming grace through faith.

Have faith in God – His grace is powerful! It is the only thing on this earth that can give us freedom from sin and sinning. Live under the fountain of His grace and sin shall not be your master (Rom 6:14).

https://escapetoreality.org/2012/09/24/is-grace-a-license-to-sin/

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Tallesty1(m): 6:46am On Sep 11, 2016
This is good

1 Like

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:53am On Sep 11, 2016
Tallesty1:
This is good
yes it is...
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Tallesty1(m): 6:59am On Sep 11, 2016
jiggaz:
yes it is...
People actually don't seem to get what Christianity means, Christians are new creations (2 Corinthians 5:17). Christians demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23), not the acts of the flesh (Galatians 5:19-21). So it doesn't matter what you do in church, what society you belong to, or how many hours you spend in church daily, if Christianity cannot be seen in your day to day activities then you're simply not a Christian.

In Paul's voice "Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?" (Romans 6:1-2).

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by GossipHeart(m): 7:12am On Sep 11, 2016
What is grace ??

If grace or God exists, God would have given Buhari the grace to fix the problems he created for Nigeria.

Or he would have given him the grace to have a working brain

1 Like

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Fairgodwin(m): 7:12am On Sep 11, 2016
I just love to learn more on how to be better each day through godly words and principles.
Thank you all for this.

1 Like

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by weblord1900: 7:13am On Sep 11, 2016
OK
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by DICKtator: 7:13am On Sep 11, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Bilabong(m): 7:13am On Sep 11, 2016
op sin is sin, license is license
If u want sin goto shrine
If u want license goto FRSC

ma two kobo

1 Like

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by eleojo23: 7:13am On Sep 11, 2016
:....
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Turks: 7:14am On Sep 11, 2016
Grace na fine babe sha..

1 Like

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 11, 2016
All this long story just for a simple answer that Paul the Apostle answered long ago :
"shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? No! "

1 Like

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 11, 2016
tongue tongue

2 Likes

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by missvera(f): 7:15am On Sep 11, 2016
No
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Funjosh(m): 7:15am On Sep 11, 2016
All I need is the Grace of the Lord Jesus Christ. cheesy

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Spar7tan(m): 7:20am On Sep 11, 2016
Grace is never liscence to sin, i can just call it another chance to repent or change your sinful ways..
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by EdoBoy90(m): 7:22am On Sep 11, 2016
nice
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by KevMitnick: 7:25am On Sep 11, 2016
Grace,
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Phiniter(m): 7:26am On Sep 11, 2016
Nice
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Capableben(m): 7:27am On Sep 11, 2016
......grace is not license to sin. That thought of "sinning and later repent" is initiated by the devil.

Meanwhile, I'd be releasing my single titled My Nation on or before the 1st day of October. Nairalanders, anticipate hard!

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by neocortex: 7:30am On Sep 11, 2016
It is easy dishing out theories of who a christian is,
but we all know that christians are not different from
non-christians in behaviour and conduct save the zeal
for seeking miracle.

3 Likes

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by sweetcocoa(f): 7:33am On Sep 11, 2016
Grace ko grass ni. grin

1 Like

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by agwom(m): 7:33am On Sep 11, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 11, 2016
Grace is not a licence to sin.

A dictionary definition of grace puts it that "Grace is a divine help/assistance to overcome sin.

If grace is a divine help to overcome sin, why will someone imagine grace to be licence to sin.? This is because they lack understanding of what grace is and try to hang those that profess Christ while still living in perceived sins.

They often mis understand grace and interchange it with mercy.

Mercy is giving someone another chance when one had failed or sinned.

God had given us all the time in the world to get things wright, but he knew we might not be able to get it wright in one swoop of action, so, if you fall, you rise up and try again following written instructions and revelations. That is grace.
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by MadCow1: 7:46am On Sep 11, 2016
Yes..

If we don't sin and pray for forgiveness regularly, then Jesus died in vain.

That's why I sin regularly.

1 Like

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by ProfSamurai(m): 7:49am On Sep 11, 2016
No.

Grace can be likened to a mother's open arms for a child who errs all the time - hoping that s/he (the child) will grow up one day to realize what she (the mother) has been teaching him/her.

Grow up, o ye children.

Also psychologist have discovered that when someone feels perpetual guilt, the person is bound to repeat that action again.

So there's always a constant battle between guilt and grace.

1 Like

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Dokitadotun: 7:52am On Sep 11, 2016
Grace is not a license to sin. If someone loves you unconditionally (this is grace), you won't want to break his heart. God wasn't stupid for doing this, he wants us to love him freely without being coerced by rules and regulations.
When I think of this kind of unmerited love, I just want to love him more and more.

1 Like

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by Dreal11247: 7:57am On Sep 11, 2016
Coming back
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by musicwriter(m): 7:57am On Sep 11, 2016
Yes, grace is not only a license to sin, but a message of the anti-christ. The grace message contradicts the message of Christ that all should make a U-turn from their sins.

Its a feel good message that aim to pepertually keep you in the bondage of sin to deny you christ. A very good job by satan!.

Jesus said ''if ye love me, keep my commandments''.

Again, Jesus said ''not everyone that say to me Lord, Lord shall enter the kingdom of God, but he that doeth the will of my father in heaven''.

So, the message of Christ was consistent. You have to do what is right. Its not by any other means.

1 Like

Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by ojnnaco(m): 8:00am On Sep 11, 2016
I don't want to continue reading this your epistles BUT the answer is NO. Grace is not and cannot be a license to SIN. Thank You and HAPPY SUNDAY
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by masterP042(m): 8:02am On Sep 11, 2016
This message will not favour the self righteous ones, they think they're made holy by what they do or do not do
Re: Is Grace A License To Sin? - Paul Ellis by dermmy(m): 8:06am On Sep 11, 2016
Grace is not a licence to sin infact God's grace stop sin if the believer knows what he/she is doing. There is a power there is force that backs God's grace.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Main Reason We Have For Forgive Our Enemy As A Christian / The Theory Of Pre-tribulation Rapture Is False. / Honest Question To The Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.