Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. (10999 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Set To Suspend Strike This Week / NANS Begins Facility Tour Of Universities, Urges ASUU To Suspend Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by naijacann: 2:11am On Oct 08, 2009
All the chapters of the Academic Staff Union of Universities [ASUU] that met in various campuses across the country yesterday to deliberate on the fate of their four-month old strike action recommended that it be suspended for two weeks to enable a final agreement to be reached with the Federal Government. Their recommendations are expected to guide the ASUU National Executive Committee [NEC] meeting on Friday, when it meets to decide on the fate of the marathon strike action.

ASUU’s NEC had met at the University of Abuja campus on Monday night and directed all its chapters to hold emergency congresses and choose from among three options. Option 1 was for the strike to be called off. Option 2 was for it to be suspended for two weeks to enable the leadership to conclude an agreement with the Federal Government on the remaining knotty issues. Option was to reject the tentative agreement reached with government officials and peace brokers at the weekend and to continue with the strike until all ASUU’s demands are met.

However, our reporters gathered yesterday that ASUU congresses held at the campuses of Bayero University, Kano, University of Abuja, Federal University of Technology, Minna, Benue State University, Makurdi, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, University of Port Harcourt and the Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt all recommended the second option to the union’s NEC.

Our reporters also learnt that congress meetings are scheduled to hold this morning at the University of Maiduguri, the Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto as well as the University of Jos to take a position on the strike. Congresses were also held yesterday at the University of Lagos, the Lagos State University [LASU] and the University of Benin, but our reporters could not get a clear picture of the decisions reached. At the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, university of Illorin and the Gombe State University, Gombe, no meetings were scheduled because those ASUU chapters are not participating in the strike. Similarly, lecturers at the Kaduna State University, Kaduna suspended their strike action and resumed work last Wednesday.

A lecturer at the University of Maiduguri told our reporter last night that the overwhelming feeling among the teachers there is for the strike to be called off. He said the four months’ duration of the strike had sapped support for it among the lecturers, coupled with the effect of the no-work-no-pay rule implemented by government.

Lecturers of the University of Port Harcourt demanded in their resolution that government should give priority them whenever there is going to be a national salary review in the country. They demanded an enhanced African benchmark on salary, saying “We want to be among the top three best paid university lecturers on the continent.’’ They also demanded that the appointment of all Vice Chancellors should be the exclusive preserve of the Governing Councils.

ASUU chairman at the Benue State University (BSU) Mr. Ralph Amokaha told Daily Trust that “Ordinarily, we would not have wanted to go back until our demands are met. But following the intervention of prominent Nigerians like Governor Adams Oshiomhole and Speaker Dimeji Bankole, the congress of ASUU-BSU decided for the option to suspend the strike for two weeks. We are doing this for people watching to see that ASUU is bending to government wishes again. Let them rubbish us by doing what they want like they have always done. If by chance they decided to be honourable, then good.”

University of Agriculture in Makurdi (UAM) ASUU Chairman Mr. Amine Daniel said “In our branch, we have accepted that we should call off the strike for two weeks. Within those two weeks, we expect government would have completed negotiation and signing of the agreement.” He however added that “if these conditions are fulfilled at the end of this two weeks period, we will meet and call off strike. But if they do not at the end of the two weeks, the strike will resume full blast. That is our decision”.

In Lagos however, the chairmen of UNILAG and LASU kept mum on the outcome of their meetings, saying they would communicate their reports to the national executive council at its next meeting billed for Abuja on Friday. Unilag ASUU’s Dr. Kabir Olusegun Akinyemi and LASU ASUU’s Dr. Ayo Olowe both said their report is sacred and not meant for the public until a final decision is made on Friday.

University of Benin branch ASUU chairman Kenneth Kassidu Ilavbare told Daily Trust in Benin that there is an instruction from the national body not to talk to the press until after Friday, when the National body is expected to make a statement on the ongoing strike action. Even though academic activities were disrupted by the strike action, it did not stop the Post University Matriculation Examination [PUME] as over 5000 candidates sat for the PUME test in September.

The institutions ASUU however kicked against the conduct of post JAMB while the strike was on the strike also failed to stop the Uniben Senate from meeting and electing an acting Vice Chancellor.

In Minna, the ASUU chairman Dr Babatope Alabadan told Daily Trust that the chapter backs a 2-week suspension but awaits the outcome of deliberations between the national body and the federal government. Our reporter also learnt in Minna that members of the Non- Academic Staff Union of Universities [NASU] plan to stage a peaceful demonstration in the city today to call for equal treatment with its ASUU counterparts. The source said the protest will be marked by a peaceful match in the state capital where its members are expected to wield placards calling for conditions of service similar to those granted ASUU members.

Chairman of ASUU at Bayero University, Kano Dr Abdullahi Baffa also refused to discuss his chapter’s position, saying only the NEC can take a final decision. Baffa, a Mathematics lecturer, said their decision had already been forwarded to the NEC. Daily Trust however learnt that the chapter voted to back the two-week’ suspension option.

http://www.news.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7502:ASUU-branches-vote-to-suspend-strike&catid=46:lead-stories&Itemid=140
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by wazzza: 7:31am On Oct 08, 2009
Bravo naijacan am impress by this news. What i like most about your tread is the link when someone is passing an information i love it to be substantiated with links.
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by sammytb(m): 12:01pm On Oct 08, 2009
[
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by ZUBBYNWA(m): 12:21pm On Oct 08, 2009
if it is for only two weeks i will advice you people to continue, because i dont see any reason why i can suspend my job as a (bus conductor) for only two weeks.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by iz2much: 12:24pm On Oct 08, 2009
lets hope so
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by AloyEmeka3: 12:35pm On Oct 08, 2009
Shame on Nigeria. My two cousins are in University of Ghana medical school; about to enter their 6th year next month and they will finish before a Nigerian medical student that started before them. Remember their own is 7 years while naija's own is 6 years. They told me the school is uptite and there is continuous power supply in Ghana. The worst is yet to come. See university of Ghana website and compare with any Nigerian university. Shame on us.

http://www.ug.edu.gh/index1.php?linkid=228

http://www.ug.edu.gh/sportal/index.php
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by semid4lyfe(m): 12:50pm On Oct 08, 2009
In Nigeria, if u want to graduate on time, ur best bet will be Unillorin cos it doesn't participate in ASUU strikes.
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Ziizou: 12:56pm On Oct 08, 2009
Aloy`Emeka:

Shame on Nigeria. My two cousins are in University of Ghana medical school; about to enter their 6th year next month and they will finish before a Nigerian medical student that started before them. Remember their own is 7 years while naija's own is 6 years. They told me the school is uptite and there is continuous power supply in Ghana. The worst is yet to come. See university of Ghana website and compare with any Nigerian university. Shame on us.

http://www.ug.edu.gh/index1.php?linkid=228

http://www.ug.edu.gh/sportal/index.php
aloy emeka i fink ur mixin it up med skl in ghana is 6yrs oh m not so sure bout naija but i knw it used 2 be 7. all d same d strike is a bad image of d country
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by DISTINCT89(m): 12:59pm On Oct 08, 2009
Thank God I hope the problem will be fully solve on Friday, An after this we Nigerian students can then find some better to do on our various campuses
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by gentleemmy(m): 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2009
semid4lyfe:

In Nigeria, if u want to graduate on time, your best bet will be Unillorin cos it doesn't participate in ASUU strikes.

But Illorin of places no try at all. They would have remembered that once upon a time, ASUU was fighting for the reinstatement of the 49 sacked lecturers. Anyway sha shit happens but its like 'biting the hand that fed you'
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Rooneyboy(m): 1:00pm On Oct 08, 2009
I think we've had enough of this ASUU strike , FG should listen to their demands let students return back to their various campuses.
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by gentleemmy(m): 1:01pm On Oct 08, 2009
Sorry if my analyses is(was) wrong
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by MrCrackles(m): 1:03pm On Oct 08, 2009
What is the point of suspending the strike for only two weeks
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Rooneyboy(m): 1:06pm On Oct 08, 2009
The most annoying part of it is that organizations dont put all this kind of factors into consideration when they start demanding for a 24years old graduate with five years experience.
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Remii(m): 1:15pm On Oct 08, 2009
The Ghana / Nigeria  comparison is really disturbing. I was in Ghana last August, while discussing with a student from a private university. she told me, she had to go to private uni because she was unable to get required grades to be able to secure placement in her choice of course in a government university. That used to be the case in Nigeria in the 70s/80s, those who went to private schools then, (both primary and secondary schools) where children of rich who were unable to pass entrance exams, unfortunately, the case is now only the poor attend public schools in Nigeria, especially primary and secondary.  May God Save Nigeria.
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Hercules75(m): 1:19pm On Oct 08, 2009
ASUU nid to be begged back into the Educational system of this country, 2 wks is not good enough to come back to the educational system, PLS!
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by lordss(m): 1:40pm On Oct 08, 2009
Does it make sense? To suspend strike for 2weeks, I beg i rather stay at home, after 2weeks if they call it off i will pack and off 2 school, cool
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by stalliontp(m): 1:56pm On Oct 08, 2009
dismantle the crazy unions, let each institution decide their individual fate, they've been going on strike since my days and i belong to the ancient time, 5 yrs engineering course took me 7 yrs, then another 11 months waiting for NYSC call up, dysfunctional society, I say Break it all up including the Country!!!
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by feco304: 2:02pm On Oct 08, 2009
More greese to your elbow
Nice info.
two weeks is too small ASUU should pls make it one month so they can finally reach the remaining terms with the Government.
thanxs
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by MUNEER2(m): 2:05pm On Oct 08, 2009
What about NASU, they are really threatening to make things worst in UI, and i was wandering if their issues was with FG or UI.

The entrance gate has been locked since monday, though, it's been opened today.

This country is full of shit! sad sad sad
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Akanniade(m): 2:10pm On Oct 08, 2009
These people demand for higher pay without first removing the charlatans amongst them. I think the government needs to develop a means of evaluating the competence of these lecturers. Higher pay and quality service should go hand in hand.
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by m4real(m): 2:25pm On Oct 08, 2009
my MAGA promised to pay me via WN nxt week, and my school has started threating to conduct exam by the upper week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Nezan(m): 2:35pm On Oct 08, 2009
ASUU and strikes. . . it is becoming too much.
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by MUNEER2(m): 2:39pm On Oct 08, 2009
I don tire!!!!!!
m4real:

my MAGA promised to pay me via WN nxt week, and my school has started threating to conduct exam by the upper week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey bruv, no mind their threat, then dey craze

Nezan:

ASUU and strikes. . . it is becoming too much.

It's too much already,
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by chubysoft1(m): 2:46pm On Oct 08, 2009
If its only for 2weeks, how possible will FG meet ASUU's demand seeing there demand wasn't met through out the 110 days strike? Bull shit.
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Ben13: 2:54pm On Oct 08, 2009
Option 1: call off the strike! angry
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by sandee575(f): 3:11pm On Oct 08, 2009
Those government officials who should be having sleepless nights over this strike are basking in the spotlight that the imbroglio
is giving them because their children are either abroad or in the private universities. Moreso their children now stand to graduate
ahead of their public school counterparts thereby increasing job prospects. Not to mention the culture of SADISM that is Nigerian
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by allboyz(m): 3:16pm On Oct 08, 2009
what's really going on?
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Ben13: 3:21pm On Oct 08, 2009
strike called off for just two weeks and we go back to base.
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Fhemmmy: 3:23pm On Oct 08, 2009
So if they settle for option number 2, what happens after the second week?
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Thomaths(m): 3:24pm On Oct 08, 2009
I think they should allow we students also to vote on the 3 options. But believe me, 2 weeks suspension will not make any sense
Re: ASUU Branches Votes To Suspend Strike For 2 Weeks. by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 08, 2009
Too bad.
It's a shame that at 49 schools still strike.
When will Naija grow up?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019 JAMB CBT Registration Monitoring Thread / Traits In You That Inevitably Leads To Failure / Admission Into The National University Of Abomey Calavi, Republic Of Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.