Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,835 members, 7,806,353 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools (37688 Views)

Woman Recounts How She Almost Lost Her Two Kids From School's Negligence / Private schools in Rwanda close down as public schools become more attractive / We'll Withdraw Your Kids From School If You Tarnish Our Image On Social Media-FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by ogododo: 11:17am On Sep 11, 2016
Many parents in Lagos State have started withdrawing their children from private to public schools, due to the current economic recession.

SUNDAY PUNCH learnt that many of the parents took the decision when they discovered that their income could no longer meet their needs.

Some proprietors of private schools, who spoke with SUNDAY PUNCH, said they were expecting such situation.

The Deputy President, National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools, Mr. Abayomi Otubela, told one of our correspondents that one of his members in Mushin, Lagos State, had formally complained that parents were withdrawing their children in droves, from her school to the public schools in the area.

A mother of three, Mrs. Favour Ukpong, whose child attends a private school at the Fagba area of Lagos, told SUNDAY PUNCH that she had withdrawn her daughter from the school and moved her to a public school.

Ukpong said, “I just realised that I can’t afford the fees any longer. More so, the proprietors have increased the fees from N18,000 to N25,000.

“How much do I make from the second-hand clothes I sell? I don’t make much. Paying N18,000 had even been a challenge for me. I took my time to search for a good public school in my area. I am happy with my choice.”

Another parent, Mrs. Wemimo Abiodun said her child’s tuition had increased by N10, 000, which spurred her decision to withdraw her daughter from a private school at the Ojodu-Berger area of Lagos.

She said, “There are good public schools that have sound teachers. Many parents get carried away with the hype that comes with having a child in a private school.

“I had wanted to withdraw my daughter long time ago. The tuition was N40,000 and has now increased to N50,000. My husband can’t afford that.”

Also, a banker, Mr. Steve Aliyu, who said he was a victim of a mass purge in his organisation recently, said he had withdrawn his four year-old daughter from a private to a public school.

He said, “I took the decision because I was affected by the recent retrenchment exercise in one of the new generation banks, and things have not been easy for me and my family.”

A small scale industrialist, Mr. John Adaeze, also said he decided to take his two children to a public school in his area when he considered the tuition fees and transportation fare to their former private school.

He said, “Business is down and my wife is not working yet. We were paying about N500,000 per term in the former school of our two children. As a matter of fact, I signed an undertaking to pay their fees before they were allowed to write their examinations last term.”

Similarly, a widow, who is a mother of four, in the Ketu area of Lagos, who identified herself as Mrs. Davies, said she decided to withdraw her children from a private school because she could no longer shoulder the responsibility of paying their tuition fees in their former private school alone.

Also, a businessman, Mr. Adebola Ola, said he withdrew his three children to a less expensive private school due to funds paucity.

He said, “I have three children in an international school, but with the current recession in the country, my wife and I agreed and we have moved them to a less expensive private school.”

A school proprietress/principal, Mrs. Uzor Oluwaluyi, said, “I envisaged that due to the harsh economic recession in the country, the possibility of parents moving their kids from private schools to public schools as a new school year beckons is 50/50.”

Another school proprietress, Mrs. Abimbola Oni, expressed fears that rather than taking their kids to public schools, some parents might decide to keep them at home.

She said “You would be amazed that some parents will keep their wards at home, rather than take them to public schools. Recently, three parents with children in my school approached me and told me that they’d be withdrawing their children from our school when school resumes due to lack of funds.”

The Proprietress, Children International School, Lekki, Lagos State, Mrs. Joke Chukwuma, explained that private school operators were aware of the hard times most parents are going through and had decided to make payment of fees, conducive for them.

She said, “We can’t reduce school fees because we don’t want to lower our quality or standard. What we can do is give parents softer payment terms. So, instead of them paying a year in advance, they pay per term. Some can even pay on monthly basis.”

http://punchng.com/recession-lagos-parents-withdraw-kids-private-schools/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by sinaj(f): 11:21am On Sep 11, 2016
Hmm

It's nt easy o!

Things r just getting tough everyday

5 Likes

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by Flexherbal(m): 11:24am On Sep 11, 2016
When will this recession end?
Na only us never increase the price of out heral tea for men.

10 Likes

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by nnachukz(m): 11:56am On Sep 11, 2016
When they were casting their votes, they believed it was to better the lives of their children. They never knew the reverse was what they were doing. Like my neighbor's son, each time I ask him Gbenga aren't you going to school today? He will just reply my mom said I will start next term. Hmm he was in school before, I don't know what happened.

106 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by yanabasee(m): 12:33pm On Sep 11, 2016
Hmmmm.... And he's been flying and maintaining his planes with billions of naira while average Nigerians die in hunger!

Who's gonna be our Babangida to overthrow him this time around?

113 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by donbenedict(m): 12:50pm On Sep 11, 2016
And what of private universities? grin

11 Likes

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by ogododo: 12:54pm On Sep 11, 2016
God have mercy upon us all

5 Likes

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by Standing5(m): 1:07pm On Sep 11, 2016
Before the hate filled folks hijack this and spin it against their political opponents, this development is no fault of the present govt.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by ogododo: 1:43pm On Sep 11, 2016
Standing5:
Before the hate filled folks hijack this and spin it against their political opponents, this development is no fault of the present govt.

Nothing about hate,only if you are not a parent or someone is still giving you pocket money. This government has not tried at all, truth be told.

180 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by cutesmilez(f): 1:46pm On Sep 11, 2016
shocked
Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by computerboy: 2:35pm On Sep 11, 2016
Standing5:

Whose fault is it? GEJ right?

104 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by ogododo: 2:38pm On Sep 11, 2016
If public schools has been ok,not many parents will send their wards to private schools. Alas many of the public schools are nothing but goat pen. Many of us are proud product of public schools even uptil University level.
lalastic over to you

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by HRYansh(m): 3:22pm On Sep 11, 2016
too bad cry
Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by irenmwinfo(m): 3:23pm On Sep 11, 2016
booked
Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by DesChyko: 3:24pm On Sep 11, 2016
That's Buhari's era for you.

A leopard never changes his spots.

My father did well to recount his experience during the first Buhari era. Unfortunately, others didn't remember to. Now, here we are.

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 3:25pm On Sep 11, 2016
grin grin
Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by kennyjam: 3:25pm On Sep 11, 2016
The Buhari(Recession ) we see today, we shall see Him(it) no more.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by Omojohnny100(m): 3:26pm On Sep 11, 2016
Who will be the next IBB this nuisance has to go he's done enough damage already

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by pritykate(f): 3:26pm On Sep 11, 2016
Hope We all are enjoying this change

1 Like

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by flokii: 3:26pm On Sep 11, 2016
computerboy:

Whose fault is it? GEJ right?

Nope.. It's mine ok?
Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by Wordson(m): 3:27pm On Sep 11, 2016
cry sorry to proprietors of private schools!! Na person way chop well go dey think make him pikin go private school..

3 Likes

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by Capableben(m): 3:27pm On Sep 11, 2016
..... Its a pity.

Meanwhile, I'd be releasing my single titled My Nation on or before the 1st day of October. This song reflects upon our strength as a nation and will serve as a morale boost for many of us that are falling already in the recession. Nairalanders, anticipate hard!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by nurez305(m): 3:27pm On Sep 11, 2016
And very soon, school will sent teacher home, and one teacher will start teaching like 10 classes...

It is well

11 Likes

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by tollytexy(m): 3:27pm On Sep 11, 2016
Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by tollytexy(m): 3:27pm On Sep 11, 2016
B
Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by bezimo(m): 3:28pm On Sep 11, 2016
yanabasee:
Hmmmm.... And he's been flying and maintaining his planes with billions of naira while average Nigerians die in hunger!

Who's gonna be our Babangida to overthrow him this time around?

The bolded is needed before things get "worsest".

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by StephanieLuv(f): 3:29pm On Sep 11, 2016
[size=40pt]#BRING_BACK_OUR_JONATHAN[/size]

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by kennyjam: 3:29pm On Sep 11, 2016
May GOD help us. In His name, May Recession change to Progression. Amen!

1 Like

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by kaen1317: 3:29pm On Sep 11, 2016
Sure PMB is secretly wishing he didn't contest the elections or, better, lost the elections. He could have been in daura tending to his cows, criticizing government and getting closer to God as an old man. But no, someone with Badluck wanted power and took it from Goodluck now he has heaps of insults and curses from Nigerians to contend with on the daily

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by chemicalDisease: 3:29pm On Sep 11, 2016
May they that voted for this change suffer it most.

I pity the Afonjas.

28 Likes

Re: Recession: Lagos Parents Withdraw Kids From Private Schools by DesChyko: 3:29pm On Sep 11, 2016
Standing5:

And how does the lie you just told change the reality of the country's bleak economy?

23 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

15 Pictures You Will Relate To If You Attended UNIPORT / UNIABUJA Students That Died In Motor Accident (Photos) / Ahmadu Bello University Zaria Admission List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.