Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,634 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law (2700 Views)

Court Summons Solomon Arase For Contempt, Says Not Above The Law / Motion: Pay Our Lawmakers Per Sitting / Scaling Of National Assembly Gate Our Lawmakers’ ‘finest Hour’ – Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by timbuktu1: 5:00am On Oct 08, 2009
A Bill that may grant immunity to members of the National Assembly and state assemblies scaled through the second reading on Wednesday.

Titled: “A Bill for An Act to Amend the Legislative Houses, Powers and Privileges Act, Cap L12 2004, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria and for Other Related Purposes, 2009,” it was sponsored by Henry Dickson (PDP, Bayelsa).

Leading debate on the bill, Mr. Dickson, who is also the chairman of the House Committee on Justice, said there is need to propose a procedure that should be followed when a member commits a crime. According to him, by doing so, the lawmakers would be adequately protected and the country’s democracy deepened.

He said a lawmaker should not be arrested on the basis of a mere allegation, but that the security agencies making the arrest should only make such arrest when there is a warrant of arrest or if the person is caught committing the crime.

He added that such agencies should first communicate to the leadership of the House concerned before the lawmaker that commits the crime is arrested,

Source
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by Fhemmmy: 5:01am On Oct 08, 2009
ummmmmmmmmmmm . . . . na today?
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by chic2pimp(m): 5:09am On Oct 08, 2009
Na wa ooo *Shakes his head* What is that country turning to? undecided

So lawmakers instead of leading by example actually want to be above the law. Naija never ceases to amaze me sha sad.
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by Kobojunkie: 5:20am On Oct 08, 2009
timbuktu1:

He said a lawmaker should not be arrested on the basis of a mere allegation, but that the security agencies making the arrest should only make such arrest when there is a warrant of arrest or if the person is caught committing the crime.

He added that such agencies should first communicate to the leadership of the House concerned before the lawmaker that commits the crime is arrested,

Now if only the same would apply in the case of ordinary citizens. First inform my BOSS before arresting me for any crime at least!! Roflmao!!! cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by sodconfirm: 12:07pm On Oct 08, 2009
This is simply because they don't want to be put to justice or held accountable anymore for stealing,manipulating and cheating, They know they break the laws first before any other Nigerians, They are the No 1 thieves we have, I.T.T ( International Thief Thief )
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by AfroCynic: 12:13pm On Oct 08, 2009
All animals are equal but some are more equal than others,
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by koolchicco: 12:18pm On Oct 08, 2009
@Afrocynic

U beat me to it.

Are they not above the law already?So why d bill?Lawbreakers
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by sandee575(f): 12:21pm On Oct 08, 2009
this is a dangerous trend
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by ZUBBYNWA(m): 12:37pm On Oct 08, 2009
na them sabi well,well
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by GeorgeD1(m): 12:46pm On Oct 08, 2009
why don't they just make a law legalising stealing public money and ballot box snatching? that way we'll know they are working very hard to 'deepen' cleptocracy! grin
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 08, 2009
They should make a law that makes them immune to death
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by MrCrackles(m): 12:54pm On Oct 08, 2009
"Lawmakers" in the Nigerian parliament are selfish, daft, corrupt, insensitive and worthless cross section of human beings!
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by semid4lyfe(m): 12:57pm On Oct 08, 2009
Wetin we no go see for Naija. God help us.
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by DISTINCT89(m): 1:07pm On Oct 08, 2009
This is total rubbish, I think the country is now turning to an unlawful nation. My own prayer is that we future generation leaders should try as much as possible to develop this country when we get to the post. Please don't follow the footstep of our leaders, Please don't worry I surely know if they are not punish in this world that of the hereinafter will be sure, Just Relax,
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by asha80(m): 1:15pm On Oct 08, 2009
DISTINCT89:

This is total rubbish, I think the country is now turning to an unlawful nation. My own prayer is that we future generation leaders should try as much as possible to develop this country when we get to the post. Please don't follow the footstep of our leaders, Please don't worry I surely know if they are not punish in this world that of the hereinafter will be sure, Just Relax,

When has nigeria ever been a lawful nation?
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by sandee575(f): 1:19pm On Oct 08, 2009
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law
« #13 on: Today at 01:07:14 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[b]This is total rubbish, I think the country is now turning to an unlawful nation. My own prayer is that we future generation leaders should try as much as possible to develop this country when we get to the post. Please don't follow the footstep of our leaders,  Please don't worry I surely know if they are not punish in this world that of the hereinafter will be sure,  Just Relax

Are you stoned?
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by MUNEER2(m): 1:28pm On Oct 08, 2009
Nigeria, i wonder when we'll start to put the interest of the nation above our personal own. Maybe before Jesus comes back embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by McDoe(m): 1:34pm On Oct 08, 2009
I agree with the bill. It intends to discourage the unnnecessary harrassment of Nigerians by our law enforcement agents. My only grudge here, is that such bill should not be enjoyed by lawmakers alone. But I think there must be a laid down process to effect an arrest.
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by Arkison: 1:37pm On Oct 08, 2009
Meanwhile in another part of the globe

ITALINA PRIME MINISTER LOSES IMMUNITY

Italy's Constitutional Court has overturned a law granting Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi immunity from prosecution while in office.

The move opens the possibility that Mr Berlusconi, 73, could stand trial in at least three court cases, including one in which he is accused of corruption

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8295716.stm
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by Arkison: 1:40pm On Oct 08, 2009
McDoe:

I agree with the bill. It intends to discourage the unnnecessary harrassment of Nigerians by our law enforcement agents. My only grudge here, is that such bill should not be enjoyed by lawmakers alone. But I think there must be a laid down process to effect an arrest.

No one should be immune from criminal proceeding. That is why they are there. If they feel police have harrass someone unnecessary they should step up their work as house of assembly and fight for our rights. Shielding anyone from criminal investigation and criminal proceeding is injustice to victims of crime
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 08, 2009
I wonder what our "dishourable" Honourables are turning themselves to, they should also add life jail to stealing and corruption perpetrated by them while in office, Bunch of idiots,
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by Dereformer(m): 1:44pm On Oct 08, 2009
GANI FAWEHINMI were are u?
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by dfanthom(m): 2:05pm On Oct 08, 2009
these goons neva fail to amuse the electorate!

see what Poverty of The Mind causes!!

God help them!!!
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by Nezan(m): 2:30pm On Oct 08, 2009
When serious countries are voting to ouster the immunity clause, we are still trying to expand it to cover thieving senators and dishonourable members, what a country . . . !
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by Abidex45: 2:42pm On Oct 08, 2009
@abidex. Is like d so called BABALAWO in 9ja no dey sufer frm dese fct devils steps. My gr8est expectation na d day way dem go send THUNER-STRIKE make e kill any politician wether local or national level. 9ja! D closest place 2 HELL.

Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by lawmanlala(m): 2:46pm On Oct 08, 2009
may God save Nigeria
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by ajibawealt(m): 2:52pm On Oct 08, 2009
The bill is been sponsored in anticipation of the crimes they would commit come 2011 election. Isn't there a way we can stop them from passing this bill into law?
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by bawomolo(m): 3:21pm On Oct 08, 2009
Dereformer:

GANI FAWEHINMI were are u?

would you guys stop looking for a messiah and get off your asses.

nuzo may be right after all
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by gamechange(m): 3:25pm On Oct 08, 2009
Nothing new here, they were already above the law, the problem was that they were having to line other peoples pocket for their freedom.

So what would the clever animals do? They had a light bulb moment and voila;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Promulgate a law to legitimize our freedom, that way we dont  have to line pockets again.
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by nethacker(m): 3:52pm On Oct 08, 2009
i am smelling trouble grin grin cry cry
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by Goldmind1(m): 4:03pm On Oct 08, 2009
This is another point to show that the concept called Nigeria has failed.

Where is the STATE OF EMERGENCY your President declared on the power sector? He's still promising 6,000 megawatts in the next 2 months, where as there's nothing on ground yet.

He thinks the UN doesn't know that Nigeria is goverened with lies and fallacy.
Re: Our Lawmakers Want To Be Above The Law by lawrence83: 4:12pm On Oct 08, 2009
What can i say?, My country is blessed.

immunity for lawmakers? wish they could extend it to peeps like me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Al-mustapha Arrives Kano / 18 Days After Wedding, She Died For Lack Of Money / APC Presidential Candidate, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, Visits Akwa Ibom On Tuesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.