Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,492 members, 7,801,271 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

Letters To A Friend - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Letters To A Friend (393 Views)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Letters / Relationship Story "A Friend In Need" (Full Episode) / Letters To My Aborted Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Letters To A Friend by Thepasserby(m): 2:33pm On Sep 11, 2016
LETTER TO A FRIEND
Dear Friend,
I have received your letter telling me of how you tried to live a good and fulfilled life, how you tried to please others while hurting yourself but at the tail end still end up with what you had wanted avoid in the first place. I must confess; I also share your pain and concern. I want you to know that the hardest thing to do in life is to be at peace with everyone. Well this may sound strange and awkward but it is also one of the easiest things to do.

I don’t have much to say but I believe this may help proffer solutions to the problem at hand. Chew and digest them until they become a part of your daily routine.

First of all, I want you to know that you can never force others to live a life prescribed by you. The reason we have different faces is because we all have our lives to live. Please understand that most people tell others what to do when they themselves are not ready to abide by what they say. It is quite easy to advise others on what to do but we find it difficult to respect our own words and apply them to our lives. If you can’t do it, don’t tell others about it.

Secondly, I want you to stop going about telling almost everyone about your dreams. These dreams of yours are the streams from where you are supposed to draw and drink the waters of fulfilment. Telling others about them may make them discourage you from pursuing them. People always have this attitude of judging you based on their own weaknesses while becoming blind to your strengths. Most often, they tend to forget that your strongest point can be their weak point. They sometimes feel you are not as important, versatile and versed as they are. It is better to plant your dreams on the fields of silence and nurse them until they are matured enough to speak up. In order to be happy, you should stop judging others based on your weaknesses. They are strong where you are weak and that’s why we need each other.

Thirdly, I want you to know that what works for you may not work for others. Just give your opinion about the whole matter and keep quiet. Arguing to prove a point doesn’t make you more accurate than you are, it only tells others you don’t have enough reasons to show that you are actually right. Stop defending the truth, it will always prevail. I want you to try by all means not to argue with others. The moment you start arguing, your opponent brings you down to their level and defeat you there.

Finally, in order not to bother you with many words, I want you to your best every means possible to watch your attitude because it determines your altitude in life. Attitude is that part of your life that you can never deny just like your fingerprint and shadow. Talking about attitude, I want you to know that there is no need to turn green with anger when you can show love to the offender. It is not an offence to be offended but it is an offence to get offended by an offence. Always remember that whatsoever you allow to gain access to your heart can actually control your life, guard it jealously. Don’t be driven by strife, anger, hatred and jealousy but at all times, let love lead because it always wins.

I know that some of the things I have written may sound simple or strange but apply them and let’s see the outcome.

With love from your next door neighbour.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Ariwo Ko Ni Sucess / Morning For Money / m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.