Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,318 members, 7,780,782 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:07 PM

How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? (163713 Views)

Construction Of A 5 Bedroom @ Lekki, Lagos / Can I Build A 5-bed Room Bungalow In Half Plot Of Land / A 5 bedroom duplex with BQ siting on a 400Sq meters@magodo phase 1, C/O .72m,, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by justi4jesu(f): 6:40am On Sep 14, 2016
Following....
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by 3KINGZ18: 6:50am On Sep 14, 2016
olumide4christ:
Budget N25 million upwards depending on the size of the building and the level of finishings.

I'm a Quantity Surveyor, part of my job is to prepare Bills of Quantities which is a detailed breakdown of all the items and costs involved in your project.

Its also part of my expertise to manage building projects, so we can manage your artisans & sub-contractors to achieve a successful project. By the way, I come from Abeokuta.

See my signature below for my contact details if you're interested.

Regards.
bro which part in abeokuta?

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by olaitoro(m): 6:53am On Sep 14, 2016
koning:

You Nairaland builders are a bunch of thieves. "N9M will only get you to window level downstairs". Are you serious?!!. I will never hire a builder from NL. They are all thieves targeting Nigerians in the Diaspora. Op, don't listen to this greedy bastard. With N5m you can conveniently get to Lintel level downstairs. I did it with that and was hugely ripped off as well by the builders and the suppliers. An honest bricklayer later confessed to me that when I order for 500 blocks, 300 will be supplied and laid before I show up. Making it impossible for me to accurately count the number.
With rigourous supervision it could have cost me N4m. NEVER TRUST ALL THESE SO CALLED BUILDERS, ENGINEERS AND CONTRACTORS HERE.

Those guys are thieves, imagine the outrageous quotation they are dishing out.

Op check out dubemcapital thread on building of 6 bedroom duplex and spyder800 threads on duplex building, you will get a near accurate quotation and estimates.

In fact, the duo have been of great help to me of recent

Op I wish you God speed in your project.

10 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by eph12(m): 7:00am On Sep 14, 2016
As in when I just see all these outrageous sums I always wonder if it's not the same house we are all building? If you say all those modern finishing and co is what is so expensive fine but not telling me that I will spend #5 million to lintel level for the down floor? Haba. Na so one of my engineer friend dey give me quotation. I just dey look am

6 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by skigbu: 7:02am On Sep 14, 2016
This are my 3D design call me for your 3D designs 09081037402

3 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by CzarChris(m): 7:03am On Sep 14, 2016
Braden102:
What's the Sqft. Those style of houses you guys have in Nigeria are so ugly ,colonial and outdated.They also look complicated and may incur unnecessary expenditure. The homes in the photo below are very simple,yet elegant,straightforward ,and also easy to build and complete within a short period of time. In fact,you do not have to waste money on conventional roofing nor stairs because prefabricated stairs is much cheaper. Colour is also important in the finishing . White ,grey and peach colours gives a modern look to a building.
now I'm hooked, been seeing this type of building designs lately, and I must say they look simple, neat and nice. What's the average cost of building something like this with the OPs description /taste? I'm kinda thinking in that angle right now.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by MAXIMAL123(m): 7:04am On Sep 14, 2016
Oga well done, I always happy seeing people involving in such good project like this. U see the first first comment u received from...olumide4christ...is the sure way to follow, Y? Because am also a QS as a graduate and I also know what it means to be a QSr but i preferred the ELECTRICAL work that I learned which am fully in to now. So pls immediately after the drawing involvement of the QS is the next pls. So for ur ELECTRICAL work, CCTV camera and ELECTRIC Fence is my profession in case u need my service thanks.
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by ojialo(m): 7:08am On Sep 14, 2016
eghosajohnny:
Sir for the 5bdrm duplex in abeokuta below is the breakdown of how I will handle it or guide you on expense to roofing and with this design below if you like it

Foundation: 1.8m
Block work to decking: 2.2m
Decking:2.3m
Block work to roof:2m
Roof wood work:700k
Parapet 700k
stonecoated roofing sheet:2.7m classic sheet
Plastering:850k
Casement window:750k
Artwork:250k

Total so far on this is 14.550m

Below is the 3d of the 5bdrm duplex any other question you can call or whatsapp me on 07031886484
nice one
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by 4nobody4every1: 7:11am On Sep 14, 2016
cool
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by leisuretym: 7:14am On Sep 14, 2016
If you ask experience Baba bricklayer how many blocks will complete this project he will tell you something practicable but these engineers can't tell you! But why??

And again you have to be there because most of the people who are giving you cheap estimate will hire cheap labour and quacks, you will endup wishing you handnt used them, but it doesn't mean those giving huge bill will do good work also, tell them to show you their past work, ask people staying there if they are having problem with some things in the house, smell, ventilation and plumbing system, all door handles can break within six months if the use fake fancy materials, you have to be very smart with them to get good result, I use to let them know I have plenty military friends and they always careful when dealing with me, this is Nigeria but there are some you can still trust very well, let someone recommend for you

3 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 14, 2016
Here we go again grin

6 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by twinskenny(m): 7:22am On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:
Over $80,000. That's much but I know I will somehow complete this project and to my taste. I am a bit discouraged now though.

Finishing will determine your total budget

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Nobody: 7:27am On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:
Hmmmm? I will wait for more estimates but not looking good. My capacity is 16m. And have a high taste.
16M will do the job for you. Don't mind some of these paper Engineers. Basically you can't spend more than 4.5M on roof and decking! So is it block and finishes that will take 20million? Unless u are talking of both furniture and and plates etc. We all went to school but practice is the real school! If not for high cost of materials now, u would have executed that Job with max of 13M. The blocks can't be more than 8000pieces. So you can see that 1M will take care of blocks. Anyway, get and Engineer to execute your job in all honesty. Let him bill you on labour while you buy your material. Please don't cheat your engineer, and don't owe him unnecessarily, it will affect your job. And don't turn to Engineer because you just little info on Nairaland. Allow him do his job. Yours is to get him his material. Never pay labourers directly, else you go pay tire. Thanks.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by NotComplaining: 7:33am On Sep 14, 2016
Fadelex:

Depending on your taste, but a 5bedroom duplex will cost minimum of 25million. Dont let anyone deceive you that abeokuta isnt expensive to build, just came back from there and the materials are just like everywhere elsr, the only difference is that labour might be cheaper compare to abuja or lagos. which side of abeokuta is the plot. You can pm me for further discussion, I should be there later in the month. and i can show you some of my recent works.

Guy dont mind that quote. 15 mill will complete it, give or take 16-17 mill if you add inflation. Nigeria is filled with ostentatious nobodies whose only aim is to test your pocket.

Its only if you have high tastes that the sky is truly the limit when it comes to budgeting. Keep your tastes inline with your budget and use contractors who do not carry a grudge against the rich.

Be strewd and prudent, have a habit of going to the market 'yourself' to price materials; you wont regret it. Nigerias labour force is among the cheapest in the world if you contract them yourself.

People who spend in excess of 20 mill for a 5 bed duplex will find 20% goes straight into the pockets of contactors.

Im not a contractor but i have a wealth of experience.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by kedeojo(m): 7:33am On Sep 14, 2016
zamirikpo:
@POSTER dont be discouraged, with 9m u can finish a 5 room duplex,what would be left wont be much, it all depends on the design and the person handling it. most times people take advantage of our ignorance.

i was opportuned to witness the building of a 4room duplex,(since january) the site engr is a christian brother, who was very honest to the point that he had serious battles with the carpenters and iron benders who came to do roofing and finishing. these guys where over billing the owner in excess of over 50% of the original cost,they do this mainly by over estimating the materials quoted for the job.outside the decking and foundation, a duplex is just a normal structure. the extra cost of decking and foundation wont be more than 3-4m. dont be deceived.

so far we have spent about 8m. we have roofed and paid for iron fittings, plumbing and electricals have also been done. the only major thing remaining is plastering and p.o.p. just like someone earlier posted 2.2m for block work from foundation to decking, thats over estimating excessively. the issue is, if u know nothing about buildings, then am sorry u would get ripped off.

if possible ,do extensive background checks by URSELF before embarking on any project....nairaland has so many threads that would teach u many things about building. and if u can ,always visit ur site, or have a trustworthy person supervise for u if u aint around.

finishing also matters.......if u are not tiling ur walls front and back with expensive tiles or skreding evry wall or installing jacuzzi's in evry toilet ,baba.....9m will almost do it.
you have said it all, with 12m he can build a modest 5 bedroom duplex. Some just quote figures. How can dat person said 2.2m for block work to decking level. Dat is outrageous. We build a similar one for almost 15m. Cost of transportation of materials from benin to my village was what made it to jack up to dat level.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Khalifa04: 7:33am On Sep 14, 2016
eghosajohnny:
Sir for the 5bdrm duplex in abeokuta below is the breakdown of how I will handle it or guide you on expense to roofing and with this design below if you like it

Parapet 700k

Below is the 3d of the 5bdrm duplex any other question you can call or whatsapp me on 07031886484
what of the electrical part

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by kedeojo(m): 7:36am On Sep 14, 2016
zamirikpo:
@POSTER dont be discouraged, with 9m u can finish a 5 room duplex,what would be left wont be much, it all depends on the design and the person handling it. most times people take advantage of our ignorance.

i was opportuned to witness the building of a 4room duplex,(since january) the site engr is a christian brother, who was very honest to the point that he had serious battles with the carpenters and iron benders who came to do roofing and finishing. these guys where over billing the owner in excess of over 50% of the original cost,they do this mainly by over estimating the materials quoted for the job.outside the decking and foundation, a duplex is just a normal structure. the extra cost of decking and foundation wont be more than 3-4m. dont be deceived.

so far we have spent about 8m. we have roofed and paid for iron fittings, plumbing and electricals have also been done. the only major thing remaining is plastering and p.o.p. just like someone earlier posted 2.2m for block work from foundation to decking, thats over estimating excessively. the issue is, if u know nothing about buildings, then am sorry u would get ripped off.

if possible ,do extensive background checks by URSELF before embarking on any project....nairaland has so many threads that would teach u many things about building. and if u can ,always visit ur site, or have a trustworthy person supervise for u if u aint around.

finishing also matters.......if u are not tiling ur walls front and back with expensive tiles or skreding evry wall or installing jacuzzi's in evry toilet ,baba.....9m will almost do it.
you have said it all, with 12m he can build a modest 5 bedroom duplex. Some just quote figures. How can dat person said 2.2m for block work to decking level. Dat is outrageous. We build a similar one for almost 15m. Cost of transportation of materials from benin to my village was what made it to jack up to dat level. He even said parafet was 700,000. Hope is not just for labour cos someone who did ours will do dat for 400k

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by bueze046(m): 7:36am On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:
Over $80,000. That's much but I know I will somehow complete this project and to my taste. I am a bit discouraged now though.

Don't be bro, this is NAIRALAND where everyone can comment., no let them defraud you here ... I'm a victim

If you have a good taste just like I do, and maybe your money you want to put them in work to avoid story on it, then you forget about the deadline and then start work, this project might not cost you more than 20 to 25m. Just start the project.... Good luck

6 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by dokunbam(m): 7:41am On Sep 14, 2016
Following
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by twinskenny(m): 7:46am On Sep 14, 2016
Khalifa04:

Electrical piping and wiring should take 1.3m

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by waltinnovers: 7:48am On Sep 14, 2016
My brother, my own advice is, since. U have 16million, don't be surprised that u will have big balance if only you can monitor. The project yourself if you have. The time. Don't contract the project, just hire and engineer you will be paying. If u want to start the foundation, the engineer will bring the number of people to do that and they will charge for digging. And pouring. After that the engineer will bricklayers that. Will do the forming and they will be paid according to how they charge in that area but bear in mind that each bricklayer goes with one service. If you want to mold block, it will be very cheap, durable and reliable than to buy.
Most importantly, after the have dug the foundation, use the plan to examine it before the cast to avoid wastage of materials. Please don't follow the system of ' From foundation to DPC bring 2million, from DPC to lintel bring so so million, don't try it. I am telling you out of experience. Please if you need more of my advice and support, call me or send a whatsapp message to my. Number 08034757513

amagunnerfan:
I recently bought a piece of land in a very good location in Abeokuta. In the process of getting the building plan approval. I intend to build a 5 bedroom duplex on the land but want to get ideas of how much it will likely cost me.

I am a bit inexperienced but have my father in law and my uncle running the errands for me.

My inital budget was 9 million but my father in law said it won't be enough. How much do Nairalanders think it will cost? I intend to finish this project within 6 months GOD willing.

4 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Certifiedboss: 7:48am On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:
Hmmmm? I will wait for more estimates but not looking good. My capacity is 16m. And have a high taste.

16m . High taste. It won't get you a high taste bungalow
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by lastpage: 7:51am On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:
I recently bought a piece of land in a very good location in Abeokuta. In the process of getting the building plan approval. I intend to build a 5 bedroom duplex on the land but want to get ideas of how much it will likely cost me.

I am a bit inexperienced but have my father in law and my uncle running the errands for me.

My inital budget was 9 million but my father in law said it won't be enough. How much do Nairalanders think it will cost? I intend to finish this project within 6 months GOD willing.

First, as has been mentioned, the final cost will vary a lot and will depend on a lot of factors such that you cant compare your cost to that of others but what you can get is an "average".

For example, the type of soil on the land you bought (alone) can make a difference of #3Million Naira in your expenses.
Assuming you bought a "soft soil" land, compared to someone who bought a red-clay land.

The former's foundation would consume a lot of Iron, Cement, Granite and Stone-dust/Sharp Sand in building say a Raft foundation tha may be as high as 5ft minimum (to avoid future stories of the heart) while the latter's foundation may just be 2ft high without much reinforcement.
With current cost of Iron and Cement, l am sure you are getting my drift.

Having said that, if you are not the lazy type (and l dont think so otherwise you wont have been planning to build your own house), l would advice you to go to the property thread and READ, READ and READ building projects (especially the DIY ones where the owners double as the Supervisor grin ) and then cap it with the off-topic thread (you can always skip the wailing and rubbish post that wont contribute anything to your quest for knowledge) linked below

https://www.nairaland.com/2550211/general-topic-thread-to-discuss-anything

Knowledge is Power! These threads would make you a small "Pro" in no-time kiss kiss
If you are a novice to building (in terms of "basic knowledge"wink, expect to lose as much as 25% of your budget to greedy builders/Contractors who will eat you without mercy! (not all of them are guilty of this, there are some like Abdulwatexc who still do a good job for the money)
Inflation of cost of material, over-invoicing, over-inventory, buying lower quality than quoted, e.t.c are ways you will lose money, just to mention a few angry angry

You have seen how your "proposed cost is jumping from 9M to 20M to 25M to 30M already! grin grin

But dont let that dampen your spirit in anyway.
Just start and dont bite more than you can chew!

Your build wont be the best in Abeokuta and it won be the worst ......but do something you know you will COMPLETE in good time.
Dont over-build to impress anybody.

I can feel you are already feeling depressed by that 30Million mentioned cry cry

It all depends on you:

*Can you spare the EFFORT and the personal TIME to cut down cost (You can have an over-seeing consultant on a fixed payment based on site-visits..... not someone just collecting your money and staying-away from the site!)

* Be very careful with parting with money, especially to these Contractors on Nairaland!
Ask around, there are some Contractors l will not give my #3, not to talk of #30Million.
Ask around but for now, l have "very strong opinion" about Abdlwastexc and Spyder (search for the threads of these two, good builders and read)

I hope you realise that MONEY can cause enmity between you and your Uncle and Father-in-law?
My Mother use to tell me this: " Any amount of Money you cant forgo, dont lend it to a relation otherwise, you might have to chose between your money and your relation" .
Be careful in that area, l take God beg you. (Except you are a very, very "Cheerful Giver"wink undecided undecided

The cheapest part of the build is the block-work itself but it is what makes you think you are building a house as it springs into life.
Major areas of cost in "approximate percentages" are:

Foundation (13%), Blockwork (8%), Decking (11%), Roofing (10%) Windows and Doors (15%), Plastering and Tiling (20%), Plumbing, Soakaway and Electrics (10%), other Finishings (Painting, Compound, , e.t.c) 10%. Let us set aside another 3% for contigencies, totalling 100%.

Now, you can start work once you have 40% of the cost as cash and you have a steady stream of income, otherwise l would suggest you up it to about 60% but please, DONT overbuild to impress!
It is better you build to a scale your budget can accommodate within 12-16months max. (I know you said 6months grin ).

BTW: Five Bedroom Duplex is very good but do you by any chance have up to eight children or is it just your immediate family that will occupy that 5-Bed Duplex? Well, it is your first house so you want to impress yourself! grin grin

Hmmm.... 3-Bed Duplex with 2Units of 2 or 3-Bed Flats at the back will give you better value-for-money, give you flexibility with "sleep-ins" and will bring you income streams, when you discover that you dont need the "Big-Man" house that we all always start with.
I am speaking from experience
but l pray you will get there sooner than me and realise what l realised too late!
. grin grin

Dont mind me, l like to write too much.
I wish you all the strength and determination. Go for it.

Lastpage!

Caveat: I am not a builder/contractor and l am not selling anything o. shocked grin

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by akeensbussy(m): 7:52am On Sep 14, 2016
I can see high quotation from different people on this forum....N25M, N30M just for 5 bedrooms duplex. That is too much now.

I have 5 bedrooms duplex and 3bedrooms(set back) with a security house on a plot of Land for sale here at Akeja, Ota, Not far from AIT, Alagbado. At 80% finished.

price: #17Million.

How come in Abeokuta where sand, stones and Labour are cheaper compare to other places. the best thing the OP can do is to be involve in the process 100% and u will discover that u not even spend up #15Million.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by sekundosekundo: 7:53am On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:

Even #50,000,000. can enter into this project depending on your taste and classs.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by SmartMugu: 7:53am On Sep 14, 2016
Braden102:
A 5000 square feet 5 bedroom duplex can be completed within 3 weeks .
You posted all these pix, but did you consider that OP stated the location is Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria? Why do you think the European or North American prototypes you just shared makes any sense in his chosen location?
Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by lastpage: 7:58am On Sep 14, 2016
Khalifa04:

Dont even mention Plumbing, Accesories like WC, Basins, e.t.c plus Soakaway
Dont mention Kitchen, Tiling, Cabinets and Wardrobes
Dont mention Overhead tank plus Floor Tiling

"BUYERS BEWARE".... this Hause is nut fore Sell! grin grin

Hmmm.... make l just dey look.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Youngzedd(m): 8:01am On Sep 14, 2016
Braden102:
What's the Sqft. Those style of houses you guys have in Nigeria are so ugly ,colonial and outdated.They also look complicated and may incur unnecessary expenditure. The homes in the photo below are very simple,yet elegant,straightforward ,and also easy to build and complete within a short period of time. In fact,you do not have to waste money on conventional roofing nor stairs because prefabricated stairs is much cheaper. Colour is also important in the finishing . White ,grey and peach colours gives a modern look to a building.

You're right bro.

1 Like

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by Rekeb: 8:06am On Sep 14, 2016
eghosajohnny:

Parapet 700k

The questions I will ask are as below.
1. What is the sqM of the duplex? A bigger duplex will definitely cost more than a smaller duplex.
2. What is the soil condition? Even in Abeokuta, soil condition will vary from neighborhood to neighborhood.
3. What sort of foundation will @Eghosa build with 1.8m? You need a pad foundation for a duplex. That means cement, granite/gravel, good quality sound and most of all steel rods. Strip foundations are only suitable for bungalows.
4. You need to ensure you build in compliance to the structural design. Otherwise you will build a decking of less than 150mm and poor quality beams. Thin decking means at the very least, you will be feeling some serious vibration when people a walking upstairs. At the very most, your building may collapse after some years.
5. I did not see anything on plumbing, electrical, landscaping, fencing, gate, gate house, kitchen, bathrooms, tilling etc in the above quotation. Im not sure the OP, being someone who lives abroad is looking for a house with concrete floors and pit latrines.
Overall, I thing the 14.5 million quote will be grossly inadequate for an average size duplex with average quality of conveniences even in Abeokuta.

5 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by lastpage: 8:06am On Sep 14, 2016
amagunnerfan:

Dont be discouraged!

Be the man that you are. Man-Up!!

First, dont think about "How much will complete it" otherwise you will not even start. undecided grin

Just think: I will start once l have an amount that will take it to decking stage....... then Start right away.

Before you finish all the savings and reach decking, more money would have come in, right?
That would take you to Lintel or Roof as block-setting is very cheap.

At that level, house don complete sef.

Abeg, make l nor hear that your word again! Discourage wetin? Tufiakwa!!

Go do some research, come back to tell us they are already pegging the damn thing and you fit show pikshures sef. undecided grin grin

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: How Much Will A 5 Bedroom Duplex Cost? by honorbule(m): 8:08am On Sep 14, 2016
OP so you want a contemporary design with fabricated materials and you say you have #16m. please try hustle and save more. it will cost more bro.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Building My 3 Bedroom Bungalow (the Apocalypse) / Noisy Sex: The Notice A Landlord Pasted At His House / Aloysius Nnamdi Ikegwuonu "Bishop" Building House In This Recession!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.