Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,962 members, 7,806,783 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:53 PM

Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? (2727 Views)

The United States Government Has Officially Shutdown / Shocking Iced Flood Hits The United States, Killed Atleast Six(Photos) / Why Nigeria Is Backward Compared To India(both Colonized By UK) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Missy89(f): 9:09pm On Sep 20, 2016
Appleyard:
Nay! Obama made sure AIPAC and the rest of the lobby gang failed on that.

So Isreal doesn't control US middle east policy then correct?.

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by seagulsntrawler: 11:36pm On Sep 20, 2016
Missy89:

Sorry but your explanation doesnt make much sense. The deal wasnt made because the US doesnt wsnt an all out war and the IRGC/Supreme leader did not oppose the deal because of a fatwa. The sanctions have been good for the revolutionary guards and the hardliners and opening up Iran will threatening their interest.

And Yes. Iran have a weapons program. If you look at the agreement, it only extended Iran's breakout time
The reasons you gave above doesn't make much sense either because:
Israel had always wanted to attack Iran for some yrs now but can't do that alone cos of the presence of Hezzbollah in Lebanon and the fierce response it will draw from the Islamic republic as I stated earlier.
Secondly, Iran can easily block the strait of Hormuz which takes a large percentage of daily crude leaving the middle east in the event of a war.
The fatwa against WMD was issued by Khomenie and he didn't attack Iraq with chemical weapons even when they had the capability to do that.
The supreme leader had ambiguous feelings about the deal and voiced concerns about the treachery of the Great Satan!
The IRGC has always been favoured since the revolution and is not unusual for them to find favor in every situation!
Lastly, Iran's nuclear weapon is for peaceful use and there's been no evidence that it plans to weaponise it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Appleyard(m): 11:42am On Sep 21, 2016
Missy89:

So Isreal doesn't control US middle east policy then correct?.

That it failed on one important occasion doesn't negate the fact its interest shapes the direction of US Foreign Policy to the Mideast.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Missy89(f): 2:02pm On Sep 21, 2016
Appleyard:

That it failed on one important occasion doesn't negate the fact its interest shapes the direction of US Foreign Policy to the Mideast.

So the Isreal controls US middle east policy and failed to stop a deal that will empower Iran even thou security is Isreal main concern in the area. What are you smoking sir? How does your logic even make any sense to you?

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Missy89(f): 2:18pm On Sep 21, 2016
seagulsntrawler:

The reasons you gave above doesn't make much sense either because:
Israel had always wanted to attack Iran for some yrs now but can't do that alone cos of the presence of Hezzbollah in Lebanon and the fierce response it will draw from the Islamic republic as I stated earlier.
Secondly, Iran can easily block the strait of Hormuz which takes a large percentage of daily crude leaving the middle east in the event of a war.
The fatwa against WMD was issued by Khomenie and he didn't attack Iraq with chemical weapons even when they had the capability to do that.
The supreme leader had ambiguous feelings about the deal and voiced concerns about the treachery of the Great Satan!
The IRGC has always been favoured since the revolution and is not unusual for them to find favor in every situation!
Lastly, Iran's nuclear weapon is for peaceful use and there's been no evidence that it plans to weaponise it.

Well it is nice to know that you admitted that what you said made no sense. Only an uninformed person will think that Iran has no weapons program. If it was for peacful means, why did they deploy SAMs to their nuclear sites?

What do you mean the IRGC have always found favour? What the heck are you talking about? The hardliners in Iran want to keep the status quo since sanctions have been good for business and opening up Iran will bring in competetion. Iran wouldn't even dare close the strait. Do you think America is the only country that import oil? You should go read what China had to say the last time Iran made that threat.

You have no clue of what you are talking about.

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by seagulsntrawler: 3:14pm On Sep 21, 2016
Missy89:

Well it is nice to know that you admitted that what you said made no sense. Only an uninformed person will think that Iran has no weapons program. If it was for peacful means, why did they deploy SAMs to their nuclear sites?

What do you mean the IRGC have always found favour? What the heck are you talking about? The hardliners in Iran want to keep the status quo since sanctions have been good for business and opening up Iran will bring in competetion. Iran wouldn't even dare close the strait. Do you think America is the only country that import oil? You should go read what China had to say the last time Iran made that threat.

You have no clue of what you are talking about.

You are still not making sense with the assertions you made up there!
I just realised that you've been swimming in the "sewer of western media" lies and need to raise your head up before you drown!
I knew you'd run away with the SAM deployment at Fordow but here's Janes disputing the claims
Satellite imagery obtained by IHS Jane's shows Iran has not deployed an S-300 long-range air defence system to the Fordow uranium enrichment facility as claimed.

Iranian media reported on 28 August that one of the S-300 systems that Russia began delivering earlier this year had been deployed to Fordow, which was constructed inside a mountain to protect it against aerial attack.

The claim was seemingly supported by footage showing a transporter-erector launcher (TEL) and 64N6 battle management radar from the system. While a 64N6 was shown in a disassembled state during the Army Day parade in April, this is the first time an Iranian S-300 TEL has been seen.

Some of the footage could be geolocated to the Fordow area, but the shots showing the S-300 components could not.

Satellite imagery of what is believed to be an air defence training base in Tehran's eastern outskirts on 20 and 26 August showed two S-300 batteries, each with four TELs and a 30N6 engagement radar. They were supported by a single 64N6.

All the TELs were deployed in battery formations on 20 August, but by 26 August one had been moved close to the 64N6 so that the two components were aligned in the same way as those seen in the Iranian television footage. A water tower seen behind the S-300 components in the footage also matched one just to the east of the air defence base in Tehran.

It is still unclear whether the Iranian systems are the S-300PMU1 or the almost identical S-300PMU2 with longer-range 48N6E2 missiles.

When asked in March by the Wall Street Journal whether Iran was getting the S-300PMU1, Sergei Chemezov, the CEO of Russia's Rostec state corporation, said, "Yes, they gave the conditions, and said they need only an S-300PMU1."

Chemezov appeared to contradict himself in June.
http://www.janes.com/article/63410/iran-has-not-deployed-s-300-to-fordow-as-claimed

You should thank me for the education grin grin grin

Lastly, Iran has the strait under fire control and can close at will and nobody will do nada! Even the Zionist controlled entity you support can't do anything about it!

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Missy89(f): 5:40pm On Sep 21, 2016
seagulsntrawler:

You are still not making sense with the assertions you made up there!
I just realised that you've been swimming in the "sewer of western media" lies and need to raise your head up before you drown!
I knew you'd run away with the SAM deployment at Fordow but here's Janes disputing the claims
Satellite imagery obtained by IHS Jane's shows Iran has not deployed an S-300 long-range air defence system to the Fordow uranium enrichment facility as claimed.

Iranian media reported on 28 August that one of the S-300 systems that Russia began delivering earlier this year had been deployed to Fordow, which was constructed inside a mountain to protect it against aerial attack.

The claim was seemingly supported by footage showing a transporter-erector launcher (TEL) and 64N6 battle management radar from the system. While a 64N6 was shown in a disassembled state during the Army Day parade in April, this is the first time an Iranian S-300 TEL has been seen.

Some of the footage could be geolocated to the Fordow area, but the shots showing the S-300 components could not.

Satellite imagery of what is believed to be an air defence training base in Tehran's eastern outskirts on 20 and 26 August showed two S-300 batteries, each with four TELs and a 30N6 engagement radar. They were supported by a single 64N6.

All the TELs were deployed in battery formations on 20 August, but by 26 August one had been moved close to the 64N6 so that the two components were aligned in the same way as those seen in the Iranian television footage. A water tower seen behind the S-300 components in the footage also matched one just to the east of the air defence base in Tehran.

It is still unclear whether the Iranian systems are the S-300PMU1 or the almost identical S-300PMU2 with longer-range 48N6E2 missiles.

When asked in March by the Wall Street Journal whether Iran was getting the S-300PMU1, Sergei Chemezov, the CEO of Russia's Rostec state corporation, said, "Yes, they gave the conditions, and said they need only an S-300PMU1."

Chemezov appeared to contradict himself in June.
http://www.janes.com/article/63410/iran-has-not-deployed-s-300-to-fordow-as-claimed

You should thank me for the education grin grin grin

Lastly, Iran has the strait under fire control and can close at will and nobody will do nada! Even the Zionist controlled entity you support can't do anything about it!

Hard to comprehend?. I never mentioned s300.

This is from 2010. National S-200 Coverage

The primary means of air defense in Iran, insofar as SAM systems are concerned, is the deployment of 7 S-200 firing batteries throughout the nation. The four northernmost sites are positioned to defend the northern border and the region surrounding the capital of Tehran. A fifth site is situated to defend facilities in and around Esfahan in central Iran, including the Natanz nuclear facility.

You said Iran's nuclear facility is for peacful means so why are sam batteries near it? And why are they built deeply underground? Only an uninformed person thinks Iran doesn't want a weapon. I suggest you actually read the Iran deal. It only delayed the inevitable.

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by seagulsntrawler: 7:11pm On Sep 21, 2016
Missy89:

Hard to comprehend?. I never mentioned s300.

This is from 2010. National S-200 Coverage

The primary means of air defense in Iran, insofar as SAM systems are concerned, is the deployment of 7 S-200 firing batteries throughout the nation. The four northernmost sites are positioned to defend the northern border and the region surrounding the capital of Tehran. A fifth site is situated to defend facilities in and around Esfahan in central Iran, including the Natanz nuclear facility.

You said Iran's nuclear facility is for peacful means so why are sam batteries near it? And why are they built deeply underground? Only an uninformed person thinks Iran doesn't want a weapon. I suggest you actually read the Iran deal. It only delayed the inevitable.

It is a free world, so you are free to believe whatever you like, but just remember that there is is a great awakening taking place all over the world and the lies of the empire of chaos are being laid bare for all to see. Iran is more trustworthy than that Great Satan with a lying, forked tongue. Iran has never attacked any country before and the Great satan has destroyed the middle east on behalf of the Jew wannabe ishitreal. Only a blind and uninformed fellow will see the truth and fail to acknowlege it. We are still waiting for Saddam's WMD years after they killed over a million people and bombed Iraq back to stone age. Libya,AfghanistantYemen and Syria nko? I will leave you with this quote from Hugo Chavez about your Warmongering, Hero, George Bush!

"The devil came here yesterday, and it smells of sulfur still today, this table that I am now standing in front of." At that point, Chávez made the sign of the cross, positioned his hands as if praying, and looked briefly upwards as if invocation of God. He continued "Yesterday, ladies and gentlemen, from this rostrum, the President of the United States, the gentleman to whom I refer as the devil, came here, talking as if he owned the world."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Appleyard(m): 11:56am On Sep 22, 2016
Missy89:

So the Isreal controls US middle east policy and failed to stop a deal that will empower Iran even thou security is Isreal main concern in the area. What are you smoking sir? How does your logic even make any sense to you?

Am smoking reality dearie. Stop fighting shadows. We've been through this path before, and nothing changed. I just don't understand why you keep arguing this unclad truth when you are well aware of AIPAC and the US legislative arm-infested Israeli Lobby.
May be you should go and read the book titled, "The Israel Lobby And US Foreign Policy," by John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt. The book is explosive, detailing the historical chronology of US subservient to much of Israel's interest in the Mideast.

When you do, come back and thank me.

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Missy89(f): 2:46pm On Sep 22, 2016
Appleyard:

Am smoking reality dearie. Stop fighting shadows. We've been through this path before, and nothing changed. I just don't understand why you keep arguing this unclad truth when you are well aware of AIPAC and the US legislative arm-infested Israeli Lobby.
May be you should go and read the book titled, "The Israel Lobby And US Foreign Policy," by John Mearsheimer and Stephen Walt. The book is explosive, detailing the historical chronology of US subservient to much of Israel's interest in the Mideast.

When you do, come back and thank me.

Oh really? So you read a book. I see

So tell me. Why are some Jewish senators supporting the Iran deal? Aipaic couldn't pay them off?

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Missy89(f): 2:50pm On Sep 22, 2016
seagulsntrawler:

It is a free world, so you are free to believe whatever you like, but just remember that there is is a great awakening taking place all over the world and the lies of the empire of chaos are being laid bare for all to see. Iran is more trustworthy than that Great Satan with a lying, forked tongue. Iran has never attacked any country before and the Great satan has destroyed the middle east on behalf of the Jew wannabe ishitreal. Only a blind and uninformed fellow will see the truth and fail to acknowlege it. We are still waiting for Saddam's WMD years after they killed over a million people and bombed Iraq back to stone age. Libya,AfghanistantYemen and Syria nko? I will leave you with this quote from Hugo Chavez about your Warmongering, Hero, George Bush!

"The devil came here yesterday, and it smells of sulfur still today, this table that I am now standing in front of." At that point, Chávez made the sign of the cross, positioned his hands as if praying, and looked briefly upwards as if invocation of God. He continued "Yesterday, ladies and gentlemen, from this rostrum, the President of the United States, the gentleman to whom I refer as the devil, came here, talking as if he owned the world."

Hugo Chavez is kaput and his country has turn into a shitshow where people now eat the animals in the zoo and dont have toilet paper. Why should i care about what he has to say?

3 Likes

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by seagulsntrawler: 8:02pm On Sep 22, 2016
Missy89:

Hugo Chavez is kaput and his country has turn into a shitshow where people now eat the animals in the zoo and dont have toilet paper. Why should i care about what he has to say?

That country has been turned into a hole by the regime-change obssessed, evil entity you support. You wouldn't care about what he had to say because he wasn't lying, perhaps you would have had nice things to say about him, if he had praised the dumb and not too brilliant bush!

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Missy89(f): 9:10pm On Sep 22, 2016
seagulsntrawler:

That country has been turned into a hole by the regime-change obssessed, evil entity you support. You wouldn't care about what he had to say because he wasn't lying, perhaps you would have had nice things to say about him, if he had praised the dumb and not too brilliant bush!

Really? Chavez was president around 1999 what does that have to do with bush? So it was america that took all the food away from the country? Tell me more about this conspiracy

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Appleyard(m): 7:58am On Sep 23, 2016
Missy89:

Oh really? So you read a book. I see

So tell me. Why are some Jewish senators supporting the Iran deal? Aipaic couldn't pay them off?
That the holy reverend father stand behind the pulpit and the pews full of folks all clothed in white array, doesn't stop the Devil from lurking behind the cross. At some point, you will always have dissent even among the most unified team. There is always a point of divergence, and that's why the human nature is explicitly dynamic. Even Netanyahu with all his unenviable records against Palestinians, still arrested and prosecute a Israeli soldier for killing a certain Palestine teen.

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Missy89(f): 10:33am On Sep 23, 2016
[s]
Appleyard:
That the holy reverend father stand behind the pulpit and the pews full of folks all clothed in white array, doesn't stop the Devil from lurking behind the cross. At some point, you will always have dissent even among the most unified team. There is always a point of divergence, and that's why the human nature is explicitly dynamic. Even Netanyahu with all his unenviable records against Palestinians, still arrested and prosecute a Israeli soldier for killing a certain Palestine teen.
[/s]

Sorry but you are not making any sense. That is always the problem with crackpots. They try to explain their naive position with incoherence and false equivalence.

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by seagulsntrawler: 11:09am On Sep 23, 2016
Missy89:

Really? Chavez was president around 1999 what does that have to do with bush? So it was america that took all the food away from the country? Tell me more about this conspiracy

That the great Satan is behind all the problems in the world today is apparent to all. I know you would go along with the tainted narrative of economic mismangement but here's an article that put western media to shame about whats going on in that Country!

The Other Explanation for Venezuela’s Economic Crisis
March 24, 2016 COHA 22 Comments Chavez, chavismo, Maduro, Peter Bolton

By Peter Bolton, Research Fellow at the Council on Hemispheric Affairs

To download a PDF version of this article, click here.

Reports in the English-language press last week highlighted a series of small-scale street protests in Venezuela that bemoaned the scarcity of certain basic products, chronic shortages of medical supplies, and continued power and water outages throughout the country. According to Reuters, for instance, more than a thousand such protests occurred in January and February and, taken together, “show the depth of public anger” and “could become a catalyst for wider unrest.”[1] News accounts proclaiming Venezuela’s state of emergency are not new but in recent weeks have reached hysterical levels, with the Boston-based Global Post claiming that Venezuela’s economic situation is now “worse than 1960s Cuba.”[2]

The mainstream narrative explanation is that the crisis is the result of economic mismanagement and the ideological rigidity of the country’s “authoritarian” Chavista led-government. For instance, Andreas E. Feldmann, Federico Merke, and Oliver Stuenkel, writing for the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, wrote last November that “Venezuela’s steep recession has been worsened by economic mismanagement leading to mounting inflation, a widening fiscal deficit, and growing shortages of essential goods including food, soap, and diapers.”[3] Similarly, Arlecchino Gomez at The Daily Signal, wrote, also last November, that Venezuela’s recession “was largely due to government incompetence and mismanagement.”[4]

The Workings of the “Free” Market

These sentiments are strongly predicated on the standard line of economic thought prevailing in the Western media and political class: that stringent price and currency controls are distorting the mechanisms of the “free” market and have led to stagnant production, soaring inflation and a burgeoning black market in U.S. dollars and consumer goods. The explicit or strongly implied conclusion is that the crisis proves beyond doubt that socialism “doesn’t work” and that the solution to Venezuela’s ills is a return with gusto to Chicago School economic policy and hence a restoration of the unimpeded mechanisms of the market. Making this point in Forbes magazine, Tim Walstall goes so far as to compare the situation in Venezuela with the collapse of the Soviet Union; he argues that the solution “is to do as Russia did at the end of their socialist nightmare… [and implement] an immediate move to full blown free marketry [sic].”[5] To achieve this, “regime change” is presented as an imperative prerequisite and the only viable way for things to improve. Michael Shifter, writing in Foreign Affairs, says that even though many on the Latin American left initially found Chavismo an “appealing alternative to market-based approaches,” these days “few dispute that it has failed.”[6]

The Alternative Thesis

Within Venezuela itself, however, this analysis is just one of two competing narratives, both of which are discussed and taken seriously in discussions of policy, governance, and economic dynamics. The economic mismanagement thesis is the natural position taken by the Venezuelan opposition and its allies. But the fact that it is practically the only narrative reported in the English-language press misrepresents the intricacies of Venezuela’s economic problems while revealing how Western media heavily favor the opposition’s analysis, often by its own admission. (Rory Carroll of The Guardian, for instance, boasted that he moved almost exclusively in opposition elite circles while based in Caracas as the paper’s Latin America editor.)

But there is another narrative, favored by the government and the pro-Chavista social movements and civil society sectors, which, it is important to stress, are independent of the government. This perspective can loosely be called the economic war thesis. It explains the crisis in terms of the economic and social dynamics at play outside policy and governmental action. It holds that business sectors friendly to the opposition are waging an aggressive and protracted campaign of economic sabotage to deliberately stir up social unrest to destabilize and discredit the governing Chavista bloc and in the ensuing chaos bring about an end to the PSUV government and the installation of a new one made up of opposition parties. The central pillars of the economic war thesis are that these hostile sectors have been engaging in acts such as hoarding and price speculation and have purposely generated scarcity in pursuit of calculated chaos.

Naturally, all of the allegations that make up this narrative are dismissed out of hand by the opposition, which argues that they amount to a desperate propaganda stunt to shift blame from the government’s own incompetence onto its political opponents. President Nicolás Maduro’s use of the term “bourgeois parasites” in particular has been seized on by opposition commentators to portray him as a hopeless buffoon desperately holding onto to power and flailingly seeking to prop up a failed political project. Friendly commentators in the Western press are equally disparaging, with the aforementioned Michael Shifter, for instance, claiming that these accusations “have no merit,” but do serve to “show that any semblance of cooperation between the executive and the assembly to alleviate the country’s economic collapse is, at least for now, far-fetched.”[7] Similarly, Jeffrey Taylor writes in Foreign Policy, “Maduro’s response [to shortages and currency crises] has been to blame everything on scheming “Yanquis,” Venezuela’s “far-right elite,” the “parasitic bourgeois,” and, of course, the opposition, “even though he has effectively neutralized its leadership.”[8]

But though more scholarly research is necessary for a detailed and considered analysis of the myriad factors contributing to Venezuela’s economic situation, it is worth giving the claims of Chavismo a fair hearing. A fuller picture shows that this alternate thesis should not be so glibly dismissed.

Take hoarding, for instance. Before Hugo Chávez was elected president in 1998, the economic levers of society were near-exclusively in the hands of a social elite of overwhelmingly light-skinned Venezuelans: the inhabitants of the wealthy neighborhoods of Venezuela’s urban centers and wealthy landowners of the campo. Not only were they in charge of importation, distribution and wholesaling of all manner of goods for the Venezuelan markets, but they also had a stranglehold over the state apparatus needed to profiteer from effective importation in the first place. A central goal of Chavismo was to wrest control of the economic levers from this elite and more evenly disperse it throughout society. The Chávez and Maduro administrations have sought to democratize economic decision-making and predicate it on serving the public interest rather than the pursuit of private profit.

Confronting Entrenched Privilege

Political psychology provides important insights into the socio-economic dynamics of Venezuelan society. In his book, Angry White Men, sociologist Michael Kimmel argues that much of white men’s rage in the United States is the result of privileges that were historically bestowed on them gradually becoming less automatic. As historically disadvantaged sectors gain more opportunities and influence, the change appears to the previously favored group as a great injustice.[9] The same dynamic is evident in Venezuela: an unaccountable elite of overwhelmingly white, Euro-descent Venezuelans hold positions of influence and has had control of many of the important economic decisions. In great part the Chavista movement was based on giving voice to the country’s poor majority, which incidentally is overwhelmingly black, brown, indigenous, and/or mixed race. Hugo Chávez was himself of mixed-race heritage, with European, native Venezuelan, and African ancestry. The mere idea that such a person (or mono, meaning monkey, as the opposition frequently called him) could be president and give voice to the dark-skinned chusma was seen as a veritable insult to the Venezuelan elite.

The Chávez and Maduro governments have attempted to transition Venezuela away from a society that has been not only inherently racist and classist, but also highly rigid, stratified and oligarchic. Problems inevitably arise because this elite already holds the reins and can aggressively resist a recalibration of economic and social power. In 1998, the highly corrupt business class controlled almost every economic structure imaginable from distribution of food and production of oil to systems for obtaining dollars and importing consumer goods. As James Petras and Henry Veitmeyer argue in their 2013 book What’s Left in Latin America? Regime Change in New Times, “The government’s socialist project depends on mass social organizations capable of advancing on the economic elite and cleaning the neighborhoods of rightwing thugs, gangsters and paramilitary agents of the Venezuelan oligarchs and [Colombia’s] Uribe regime.”[10] Since these are the people who were already in positions of economic power and influence when the Bolivarian process began, their ability to throw a wrench in the government’s efforts for reform has been formidable. Ryan Mallet-Outtrim, writing in Venezuela Analysis, points out that “Venezuela’s private sector has long attacked the socialist government.” So much so, he adds, “that for years Venezuelans have acknowledged that scarcity of basic consumer goods spikes around important elections, as businesses seek to pressure voters into turning against Chavismo.”[11]

Evidence of such efforts by pro-opposition sectors has not been lacking. Immediately following the opposition victory in the 2015 National Assembly elections, for instance, social media commentators indicated that staple goods miraculously began to reappear on shelves throughout the country.[12] Tellingly, some of the products had expiration dates that suggested that the problem was not with production but rather with distribution, which is largely controlled by the right-wing business elite. By creating this kind of scarcity, the elite were essentially trying to starve the public into rejecting the revolution, a tactic influenced by the United States’ economic blockade against Cuba.

When these dynamics are taken in the wider context of Venezuelan politics over the last two decades, they begin to seem less and less ridiculous and more and more plausible. Throughout the period of Chavismo there have been times when these aggressive tactics of economic sabotage have been too obvious to allow for the opposition’s usual equivocation. During the so-called oil strike, for example, opposition forces led by Venezuela’s largest business association, Fedecamaras, orchestrated a nationwide disruption of oil production in hopes that the ensuing economic chaos would destabilize the government and precipitate a coup.[13] Taken in the context of this history of instigated pandemonium, the economic war thesis emerges as at least equally worthy of consideration as its major competitor.

Internal and External Challenges to the Revolution

None of this is to say, of course, that there are no legitimate criticisms of the central government, far less that the opposition’s explanation for the economic crisis should be dismissed as casually as it dismisses the government’s. Yet there are mitigating factors that must be raised in the government’s defense. The Bolivarian process has attempted not just to pay the social debt that was owed the country’s poor majority, but also to radically transform society by offering an alterative development model to the neoliberal consensus of the 1980s and 1990s that plunged the entire region into disarray. The Chávez and Maduro administrations have attempted this task while facing constant hostility not only from an aggressive internal political opposition that has often resorted to violence, but also from the hemisphere’s hegemon, the United States. Washington, which almost instinctively has been opposed to Chavismo from day one, has consistently interfered in Venezuela’s internal affairs in the hope of crushing the Bolivarian process. From a Bush administration-backed[14] and CIA-aided[15] coup in 2002, in which then-President Chavez was nearly removed from power by force, to refusals to recognize Chavista electoral victories, threats of sanctions, and covert funding for opposition candidates, the United States had been determined to do everything possible to ensure that it would fail. The United States has viciously opposed anything that threatens the dominance of the unfettered neoliberal capitalist vision that it has sought to defend, and then spread, throughout the world. As William Camacaro and COHA Senior Research Fellow Fred Mills wrote early last year in Counterpunch, “A great deal hangs in the balance with regard to the feasibility of advancing a democratic socialist project while under the continuous attack of a U.S.-backed opposition, elements of which are bent on restoring the neoliberal regime.”[16]

The U.S. mainstream media, overwhelmingly owned by large corporations and loyal to their interests, naturally reflects and promulgates the ideological contours of this worldview. Herein lies the explanation for why the debate has been so narrow, so inordinately skewed toward the opposition’s account of the situation, and so disregarding of the complexities and subtleties of the discourse regarding the admittedly tragic and desperate circumstances in which the Venezuelan people find themselves.

http://www.coha.org/the-other-explanation-for-venezuelas-economic-crisis-2/
Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by localrice: 9:07pm On Sep 23, 2016
Go and listen to prime minister Benjamin netanyahu's speech at the UN.. such nice speech.
Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Appleyard(m): 11:45pm On Sep 23, 2016
Missy89:
[s][/s]

Sorry but you are not making any sense. That is always the problem with crackpots. They try to explain their naive position with incoherence and false equivalence.

I have known you for long, so am no longer surprise by your mendacious summations, neither by your irredeemable inability to comprehend simple reason. John Mersheirmear and Stephen Walt are crackpots, while Missy89 and her hunchback ego narratives are first class, hm? sad

Okay...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Missy89(f): 6:08am On Sep 24, 2016
Appleyard:

I have known you for long, so am no longer surprise by your mendacious summations, neither by your irredeemable inability to comprehend simple reason. John Mersheirmear and Stephen Walt are crackpots, while Missy89 and her hunchback ego narratives are first class, hm? sad

Okay...

So John Mersheirmear and Stephen Walt have 2 heads or some infallible intelligence i dont know about? You should learn how to think for yourself and not try to argue by appealing to authority. You made a claim. I gave you an example why you are wrong and you are calling Stephen Walt. Lol

GTFOOHM

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Appleyard(m): 9:40am On Sep 24, 2016
Missy89:

So John Mersheirmear and Stephen Walt have 2 heads or some infallible intelligence i dont know about? You should learn how to think for yourself and not try to argue by appealing to authority. You made a claim. I gave you an example why you are wrong and you are calling Stephen Walt. Lol

GTFOOHM

I see you were thinking for yourself that you still had to pass through school and learnt under some authorities to become who you are today, right? Since citing authorities means inability to think and are no longer part of a discourse, I wonder why we are even discussing at all. Missy have never cited authorities here on Nairaland, and when people do to buttress their point and counter her warped beliefs, its because they can't think for themselves.

Your kiddergarthen logic and childish stone-throwing is beyond pathetic....

1 Like

Re: Has Israel Effectively Colonized The United States? by Missy89(f): 3:27pm On Sep 24, 2016
Appleyard:

I see you were thinking for yourself that you still had to pass through school and learnt under some authorities to become who you are today, right? Since citing authorities means inability to think and are no longer part of a discourse, I wonder why we are even discussing at all. Missy have never cited authorities here on Nairaland, and when people do to buttress their point and counter her warped beliefs, its because they can't think for themselves.

Your kiddergarthen logic and childish stone-throwing is beyond pathetic....

Lol. So you dont know that everybody ( including the people you are citing) have their own ideological bais? Have you ever seen a political topic that everybody agreed on?

So if you make a claim and i point out the reason why you are wrong, you don't get to tell me that because some guy said it, that means you can never be wrong. You are the one using a kindergarten logic really.

If the major concern if Israel is security and since you claimed the nation controls American middle east policymaking. Why would the puppet master allow a deal that may will make Israel less secure and how come powerful AIPAC was unable to even get some Jewish senators on board? It is a very simple question.

You and your ilk simplify complicated issues and post garbage here everytime. I am only educating you. So far your hate for anything america has been blocking your cerebrum from understanding and trying new ideas. That is a sign that you are just a crackpot.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Speech By Former President Of Apaartheid South Africa / Gold Bugatti $ 2 Millions VS $1/day To Feed Hungry Kids In Sudan. / What Do Foreigners Think When They Hear The Word ' Nigeria'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.