Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,818 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:23 PM

Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story (4059 Views)

Delivered From 20-Year Drug Addiction: Grace Testimony From United States / "My Gateman Of 10 Years Died In Cotonou 20 Years Ago" - Lady Says On Twitter / Mother Teresa Is Now 'Saint Teresa Of Calcutta'! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by ColdHardTruth: 7:58am On Sep 13, 2016
Teresa MacBain has a secret, one she's terrified to reveal.

“Here I am. A pastor and an Atheist. This has to be the hardest thing I’ve ever gone through. I look forward to the day when I can hop in my car and leave god in the rearview mirror. I have a plan. I’m working hard to get out. But for now I must remain in hiding. My time will come and then I can be real for a change!”
Teresa MacBain writing as “Lynn,” February 12, 2012

"I'm currently an active pastor and I'm also an atheist," she says. "I live a double life. I feel pretty good on Monday, but by Thursday — when Sunday's right around the corner — I start having stomachaches, headaches, just knowing that I got to stand up and say things that I no longer believe in and portray myself in a way that's totally false."
MacBain glances nervously around the room. It's a Sunday, and normally she would be preaching at her church in Tallahassee, Fla. But here she is, sneaking away to the American Atheists ' convention in Bethesda, Md.
Her secret is taking a toll, eating at her conscience as she goes about her pastoral duties week after week — two sermons every Sunday, singing hymns, praying for the sick when she doesn't believe in the God she's praying to. She has had no one to talk to, at least not in her Christian community, so her iPhone has become her confessor, where she records her private fears and frustrations.
"On my way to church again. Another Sunday. Man, this is getting worse," she tells her phone in one recording. "How did I get myself in this mess? Sometimes, I think to myself, if I could just go back a few years and not ask the questions and just be one of those sheep and blindly follow and not know the truth, it would be so much easier. I'd just keep my job. But I can't do that. I know it's a lie. I know it's false."
MacBain made that recording in her car on the way to Lake Jackson United Methodist Church several weeks before the American Atheists' conference.
FINDING ATHEISM

MacBain, 44, was raised a conservative Southern Baptist. Her dad was a pastor and she felt the call of God when she was 6. She had questions, of course, about conflicts in the Bible, for example, or the role of women. She says she sometimes felt she was serving a taskmaster of a God, whose standards she never quite met.

For years, MacBain set her concerns aside. But when she became a United Methodist pastor nine years ago, she started asking sharper questions. She thought they'd make her faith stronger.
"In reality," she says, "as I worked through them, I found that religion had so many holes in it, that I just progressed through stages where I couldn't believe it."

The questions haunted her: Is Jesus the only way to God? Would a loving God torment people for eternity? Is there any evidence of God at all? And one day, she crossed a line.

"I just kind of realized — I mean just a eureka moment, not an epiphany, a eureka moment — I'm an atheist," she says. "I don't believe. And in the moment that I uttered that word, I stumbled and choked on that word — atheist ."
She described her deconversion to American Atheist Magazine : “I didn’t want to lose my faith. I didn’t want to change or stop believing, but I wanted truth more!”
NB: Teresa MacBain's husband, Ray MacBain, says he still believes in God but defends his wife's right not to.

below is a picture of her and her husband

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by thorpido(m): 8:08am On Sep 13, 2016
How confused can you get?
Well the scripture must be fulfilled................there must be a falling way first(2 Thess 2:3).
Many will turn back.

2 Likes

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by xendra: 8:28am On Sep 13, 2016
Truth is the highest percentage of atheists were Christians. and I believe the reason to be our misinterpretation of the gospel, or should I say misunderstanding of who God truly is and what he wants from us.
I've been reading some books by watchman nee and I have come to understand better some things about my faith that I didn't and it is such misunderstanding that sometimes make us start questioning whether God truly exist or even conclude that he doesn't.
if you humbly seek answers you will find.

2 Likes

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by ColdHardTruth: 8:32am On Sep 13, 2016
thorpido:
How confused can you get?
Well the scripture must be fulfilled................there must be a falling way first(2 Thess 2:3).
Many will turn back.

sure professor

how about the below

2 Timothy 3 King James Version (KJV)
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

you have to like the that verse saying a lot of things without saying anything

those things were already happening even before the days of Jesus Christ

1 Like

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by ColdHardTruth: 8:37am On Sep 13, 2016
CC: Plaetton , Johnydon22 ilovetheline, JackBizzle, Kay17, AgentOfAllah, Ayomikun37 , hahn , sonOfLucifer , frank317 muskeeto , Decker , PastorAIO , ValentineMary , Pyrrho , braithwaite , dragonEmperor , theoneJabulani , lepasharon , cloudgoddess , ifenes , Hopefullandlord , brigance , stephenmorris , thehomer , dalaman , Ranchhoddas , weah96 , CAPSLOCKED , lilbrown007 , Elohim1, RaphieMontella , Weah96 , SirWere , sonofluc1fer
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by Ranchhoddas: 8:40am On Sep 13, 2016
Winner01 will not like this...
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by Scholar8200(m): 8:41am On Sep 13, 2016
Routine without reality; profession of experiences sans possession; teaching ideals and sublimes which we have not pressed into ourselves etc these and many more is responsible for having these kind of fall outs.

Unlike other religions, the Christian faith presents realities that are to be experienced and entered into by the proclaimers. I mean, no other religion (as far as I know) promises power for service,grace for holiness of life etc Hence people who come around us expect to see these things not just hear about them from the pulpits with a totally different reality from both pulpit and pew after the service.

Jesus said to the lawyers and pharisees,

Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: [size=14pt]ye entered not in yourselves[/size], and them that were entering in ye hindered.(Luke 11:52)

Are we not lawyers too today? We know many things about the letters of the Word but know next to nothing about the Lord it reveals hence those who are impressed by our knowledge and draw nearer get disappointed because we cannot reveal a God we have not sought and found!

May God take us back to Bethel!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by Scholar8200(m): 8:44am On Sep 13, 2016
ColdHardTruth:

sure professor

how about the below

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Oga, this was describing the low level among some(not all) in the Church, not those outside. It's Paul's inspired explanation of Jesus prophesy that the Love of many will wax cold because iniquity shall abound.

2 Likes

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by hopefulLandlord: 8:57am On Sep 13, 2016
Nice Thread!
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by ColdHardTruth: 9:06am On Sep 13, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
Nice Thread!

Thanks bro
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by thorpido(m): 9:24am On Sep 13, 2016
ColdHardTruth:

sure professor

how about the below

I'm sure you will agree it's not in the same proportion as we see now.
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by ColdHardTruth: 9:26am On Sep 13, 2016
After she came out as an atheist, she says that while "an enormous number of Christians have threatened to physical harm to me. Many others have been kind in their response." MacBain reported that she was also ostracized by friends and extended family, but that her husband and children were supportive.

American Atheists named her "Atheist of the Year" in 2012. However, she still lost her job and said that other "job interviews were cancelled" in her hometown of Tallahassee.

The Humanists of Florida Association helped by offering to pay her salary for a year.
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by Maamin(m): 9:28am On Sep 13, 2016
Well this things are bound to happen...just another Christian 180 degrees from the truth..you got to admit she is on a straight path but in the wrong direction grin

2 Likes

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 13, 2016
Maamin:
Well this things are bound to happen...just another Christian 180 degrees from the truth..you got to admit she is on a straight part but in the wrong direction grin

Yeah a wide and wrong path! She will return eventually wait and see. smiley
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by dblackninja: 10:09am On Sep 13, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Winner01 will not like this...
No he will not. He might even avoid this thread like a plaque cheesy

1 Like

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by Pearlyakin(m): 10:15am On Sep 13, 2016
xendra:
Truth is the highest percentage of atheists were Christians. and I believe the reason to be our misinterpretation of the gospel, or should I say misunderstanding of who God truly is and what he wants from us.
I've been reading some books by watchman nee and I have come to understand better some things about my faith that I didn't and it is such misunderstanding that sometimes make us start questioning whether God truly exist or even conclude that he doesn't.
Hello xendra,am glad you also know watchman nee,he is just like Apostle Paul,I need his books to help strengthened someone's faith.

1 Like

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by ColdHardTruth: 10:31am On Sep 13, 2016
4everGod:

kindly tell us week 5 EPL results while you're at it

thanks in advance
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 13, 2016
ColdHardTruth:

thanks in advance

Sorry but unlike you, to me there are much bigger and more important things to be engrossed in then football results. Since you seem to love it so well and probably are historicaly grounded in it and on each team why not try and take a shot at it by making a prediction.
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by xendra: 11:01am On Sep 13, 2016
Pearlyakin:

Hello xendra,am glad you also know watchman nee,he is just like Apostle Paul,I need his books to help strengthened someone's faith.
yea he is. I know someone who has lots of his books but he doesn't sell. so I just take read and return.
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by xendra: 11:08am On Sep 13, 2016
ColdHardTruth:
CC: Plaetton , Johnydon22 ilovetheline, JackBizzle, Kay17, AgentOfAllah, Ayomikun37 , hahn , sonOfLucifer , frank317 muskeeto , Decker , PastorAIO , ValentineMary , Pyrrho , braithwaite , dragonEmperor , theoneJabulani , lepasharon , cloudgoddess , ifenes , Hopefullandlord , brigance , stephenmorris , thehomer , dalaman , Ranchhoddas , weah96 , CAPSLOCKED , lilbrown007 , Elohim1, RaphieMontella , Weah96 , SirWere , sonofluc1fer
lemme guess, these are the monickers of atheist on nairaland ? if that's it then you missed out a very dedicated atheist grin and what about seun? I don't see his name there
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by ColdHardTruth: 11:33am On Sep 13, 2016
4everGod:

Sorry but unlike you, to me there are much bigger and more important things to be engrossed in then football results. Since you seem to love it so well and probably are historicaly grounded in it and on each team why not try and take a shot at it by making a prediction.

thanks in advance
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by Weah96: 11:52am On Sep 13, 2016
4everGod:

Atheism is the narrow path, more so than the extraordinarily appealing religions.
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by stephendamsoho: 11:55am On Sep 13, 2016
I know a lot of people who have lost faith but are forced to pretend as Christians, Muslims etc

in fact almost every atheist I know in real life do these things

most do it cuz of survival; their survival most times is connected to their religious connection

the stigma of coming out is pretty huge

I therefore have little doubts that many pastors in Nigeria may in fact be closet atheist who have to maintain a façade in order to feed their family

1 Like

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by hopefulLandlord: 12:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
4everGod:

having multiple monickers and denying you do must be one of those "bigger and more important things" you're engrossed in

1 Share

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by PastorAIO: 12:09pm On Sep 13, 2016
stephendamsoho:
I know a lot of people who have lost faith but are forced to pretend as Christians, Muslims etc

most do it cuz of survival; their survival most times is connected to their religious connection

I therefore have little doubts that many pastors in Nigeria may in fact be closet atheist who have to maintain a façade in order to feed their family

What are the chances that the majority of Athests actually still go to church and belong to christian fellowships? I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are more atheists in christianity than there are outside.
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by raphieMontella: 12:11pm On Sep 13, 2016
nice thread.. All those wasted years...if only!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by hopefulLandlord: 12:14pm On Sep 13, 2016
stephendamsoho:

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by flamingREED(m): 3:23pm On Sep 13, 2016
Hahahaha

grin

I know that woman.

See her here

Jude 1
4 For there are CERTAIN MEN crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, UNGODLY MEN, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and DENYING THE ONLY LORD GOD, AND OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST.

Galatians 2
4 And that because of FALSE BRETHREN unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:

5 TO WHOM WE GAVE PLACE BY SUBJECTION, NO, NOT FOR AN HOUR; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.

2 Peter 2
17 THESE ARE WELLS WITHOUT WATER, CLOUDS THAT ARE CARRIED WITH A TEMPEST; TO WHOM THE MIST OF DARKNESS IS RESERVED FOR EVER.

1 John 2
18 Little children, it is the last time: and as YE HAVE HEARD THAT ANTICHRIST SHALL COME, EVEN NOW ARE THERE MANY ANTICHRISTS; whereby we know that it is the last time.

19 THEY WENT OUT FROM US, BUT THEY WERE NOT OF US; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

3 John 1
11 BELOVED, FOLLOW NOT THAT WHICH IS EVIL, BUT THAT WHICH IS GOOD. HE THAT DOETH GOOD IS OF GOD: BUT HE THAT DOETH EVIL HATH NOT SEEN GOD.

SHE WAS NEVER A CHRISTIAN.

BUT EVEN IF SHE WAS,
THERE'S NO JOY AT ALL IN THIS:

Hebrews 10
26 FOR IF WE SIN WILFULLY AFTER THAT WE HAVE RECEIVED THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH, THERE REMAINETH NO MORE SACRIFICE FOR SINS,
27 BUT A CERTAIN FEARFUL LOOKING FOR OF JUDGMENT AND FIERY INDIGNATION, WHICH SHALL DEVOUR THE ADVERSARIES.
28 HE THAT DESPISED MOSES' LAW DIED WITHOUT MERCY UNDER TWO OR THREE WITNESSES:
29 OF HOW MUCH SORER PUNISHMENT, SUPPOSE YE, SHALL HE BE THOUGHT WORTHY, WHO HATH TRODDEN UNDER FOOT THE SON OF GOD, AND HATH COUNTED THE BLOOD OF THE COVENANT, WHEREWITH HE WAS SANCTIFIED, AN UNHOLY THING, AND HATH DONE DESPITE UNTO THE SPIRIT OF GRACE?

31 IT IS A FEARFUL THING TO FALL INTO THE HANDS OF THE LIVING GOD.

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by CAPSLOCKED: 4:05pm On Sep 13, 2016
xendra:

I BELIEVE THAT MORE THAN 90% OF THE PASTORS WORLDWIDE ARE ATHEISTS, OR SIMPLY DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD.
THEY JUST DO WHAT THEY DO BECAUSE IT PAYS FULL TIME. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by xendra: 5:32pm On Sep 13, 2016
CAPSLOCKED:

I BELIEVE THAT MORE THAN 90% OF THE PASTORS WORLDWIDE ARE ATHEISTS, OR SIMPLY DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD.
THEY JUST DO WHAT THEY DO BECAUSE IT PAYS FULL TIME. smiley
well, it is undeniably true that most pastors aren't in it for the right reasons, that's why we have these problems. if people would focus more on Christianity, look beyond "churchiality" they would see these people for who they truly are, we would not let them use, deceive and frustrate us out of the right path like they successfully do everyday.
most churches these days are just good business for the pastors
Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by Emusan(m): 6:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
xendra:

I will make reference to two passages in the Holy Bible

"Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost." 1 Corin 12:3

"Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him." John 14:23

These are the scriptures many confess Christians don't put into practice, that's why someone can say s/he is a Christians for many years and still became Atheist or join another group.

1 Like

Re: Teresa Mcbain; From 20 years as Christian Minister To Full Atheist, Her Story by CAPSLOCKED: 7:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
xendra:

most churches these days are just good business for the pastors

AND THE AMOUNT OF PROFIT THEY'RE MAKING IS SO DAMN HIGH!

xendra:
if people would focus more on Christianity, look beyond "churchiality" they would see these people for who they truly are, we would not let them use, deceive and frustrate us out of the right path like they successfully do everyday.

I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE, I JUST MET YOU, BUT I'M ALREADY IN LOVE WITH YOU!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Slavery in the Bible: answers for Christians and the atheist dilemma / What Does MMM Really Stands For? / My Last Supper On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.