Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,522 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched (38326 Views)

Ooni: "Adam And Eve Were Created In Ile-Ife, They Were Blacks" / Ooni Adeyeye Ogunwusi Celebrates His Birthday At His Palace In Ile-ife / "The Cleanest Street In Ile-Ife To Receive N100K Every Month" Says Ooni. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by awakeuche(m): 11:19pm On Sep 14, 2016
Drchristian:

Half of Edo-state is part and parcel of Oduduwa land..so wot r u insinuating? during biafra war wen igbos took edo state, yoruba soldiers liberated d state frm them. ibos has given d edos problems in d past
dr christain, good evening to you, i do not know what experience you suffered in the hands of an igbo man or woman, i expect tribal jingoistic and possibly ill researched arguments from the other anti igbos, but you dr christain i must say has disappointed alot of persons following your posts. You may not be wrong in some of your censorous statements but the manner by which you propagate these statements are insighful and frankly beneath someone of your academic status, you are not a pitbull fighter but a doctor if your moniker is to be believed. Yorubas are supremely smart, fun loving and respectful, igbos are noisy, pompous, focused and determined, the difference in culture is to be respected and not tolerated.
The igbo man is secretly impressed by the yoruba man due to his eloquence and innate intelligence, the yoruba man is secretly impressed by the man due to his dogged determination. Understanding this is the key to cordiality and peace.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by EpicMaurice(m): 11:44pm On Sep 14, 2016
olajizz01:
I concur with u my sister,Igbo are ingrate set of being,hausas know how to handle them most in their land,I lived in Orsu local govt of Imo state for few yrs b4 coming back to my region,their women were alittle bit accomodated,but their men were wicked and terrible set of people who do not have the word hospitality in their dictionary.
ok you have proved your brain is empty, you can now get off nairaland

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by SMARTKOSSY: 11:54pm On Sep 14, 2016
modelmike7:
Yorubas are simply the most accomodating in West Africa. . . The cradle of Yoruba welcoming the Igbos with love and care. . . This is how we should all live with Love, Unity and Understanding. I believe in One Nigeria.
South Westerners are always scared and hate residing / working outside thr legions. It is not our fault that u guys don't come East.
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by tosynAB(m): 11:57pm On Sep 14, 2016
SONofYORUBA:

Lol at taking over our land.

This is the mistake Yorubas make by being accommodating in nature.

I guess the northerners aren't letting you take over their land by killing Ibos in the north. Instead of being thankful of the peaceful and fertile environment Yorubas provide, you chest beaters come with your typical arrogant posts.

I guess immigrants are also taking over America. Ode.

God bless you for your comment joor
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by SMARTKOSSY: 11:57pm On Sep 14, 2016
awakeuche:
dr christain, good evening to you, i do not know what experience you suffered in the hands of an igbo man or woman, i expect tribal jingoistic and possibly ill researched arguments from the other anti igbos, but you dr christain i must say has disappointed alot of persons following your posts. You may not be wrong in some of your censorous statements but the manner by which you propagate these statements are insighful and frankly beneath someone of your academic status, you are not a pitbull fighter but a doctor if your moniker is to be believed. Yorubas are supremely smart, fun loving and respectful, igbos are noisy, pompous, focused and determined, the difference in culture is to be respected and not tolerated.
The igbo man is secretly impressed by the yoruba man due to his eloquence and innate intelligence, the yoruba man is secretly impressed by the man due to his dogged determination. Understanding this is the key to cordiality and peace.
U r wasting ur time with that well known tribalist Dr Christian

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by comrChris(m): 12:07am On Sep 15, 2016
SONofYORUBA:

Selling Agbo is a crime now? How is that different from Ibo "industrial " fanyogo seller?

Funny how the "Igbo business guy" is lazily sitting idle while the Yoruba "agbo seller" makes money.
some of those fanyogo sellers make up to 4 thousand a day, my in law has a fan milk company in ekiti , those guys make a lot of money while your own is to insult them with empty stomach.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by koolaid87: 12:07am On Sep 15, 2016
Respect to the odudua, brown roof folks.. We're always accommodating and definitely not a sign of weakness

Peace!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by EmekaBlue(m): 12:16am On Sep 15, 2016
d way una carry lag matter fr head ehn as if its ur village..my friend gerrarahia
Oblang:

U should go and tell Hausa Abuja is no man's land and see them lynch u. Chest beater oshi.. .
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by realkingqueen(f): 12:51am On Sep 15, 2016
wunmi590:
Take it or leave it, this tribe are very industrious, i am a typical yoruba guy, but i love igbo guys, the few have seen are very hard working, they think out of thie box, not saying some other tribe are not, just love them.

God bless igbo

God bless Nigerian

Gid bless Nigeria

can y'all listen to this guy please,he's making a lot of sense..you might learn one or two things from him for real cheesy
wunmi590:
Take it or leave it, this tribe are very industrious, i am a typical yoruba guy, but i love igbo guys, the few have seen are very hard working, they think out of thie box, not saying some other tribe are not, just love them.

God bless igbo

God bless Nigerian

Gid bless Nigeria

can y'all listen to this guy please,he's making a lot of sense..you might learn one or two things from him for real

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by gatiano(m): 1:11am On Sep 15, 2016
Without delay, The traditional languages are to be made compulsory. Yet! which Igbo or Yoruba are you talking about? The englishnized or europeanized Igbo and Yoruba languages? Or the real ones called in reality Afa/Ifa language? For the later type, the real Igbo and/or Yoruba language, One needs to be initiated, and it is secret kept away from all except the melanized Black germ people.

Igbo are a very powerful people beyond what any Igbo knows, so are all the Tribe. God Bless Us! Ase/Ise...

musicwriter:
Beyond this show, the most important thing they should do is make Igbo language a compulsory subject in school. Ohaneze should make Igbo language a priority subject in school and let our schools require ''credit'' in Igbo language and a ''pass'' in English.

You know what would happen? Every student would still study English, but the purpose of making Igbo a priority would be achieved.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by Rehabilitation: 1:34am On Sep 15, 2016
telemapreye1:
okay...I never knew
The igbos are the worst set of people in nigeria...Not all sha
And after somebody will marry this thing and keep for house and claim he has a wife. Mehn some men can be so unlucky!

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by Rehabilitation: 1:44am On Sep 15, 2016
telemapreye1:
Illiterate tribal bigot
telemapreye1:

The igbos are the worst set of people in nigeria...
After making the above comment, you have the effrontery to call somebody a tribal bigot? Hmm! Your case is irredeemable, you need rehabilitation fast.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by Cletus77(m): 2:06am On Sep 15, 2016
the yorubas are trying.. But can the igbos do dis? Face it d truth is ALWAYS BITTER
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by SONofYORUBA: 2:52am On Sep 15, 2016
comrChris:
some of those fanyogo sellers make up to 4 thousand a day, my in law has a fan milk company in ekiti , those guys make a lot of money while your own is to insult them with empty stomach.

Na you count them? Agbo sellers make mire than that stop making empty noise.
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by SONofYORUBA: 2:54am On Sep 15, 2016
Afam4eva:

I just gave you one minute of silence for your ignorance. You're really at the top of the chain.

If the SE was not economically viable then no one will remain there, not even Igbos. Globally, people leave their homelands to find opportunities elsewhere because those available in their homelands are not enough for the population. There are people making it in the east but every Igbo person can't be there. All spare part dealers cannot be in Nnewi, so the may decide to move to Lagos that has a bigger market or move to Ile Ife to compete for the smaller market. It doesn't mean that Ile Ife is better than where they're coming from in General but because they see an opportunity and the're tapping into it.

It's funny how you guys always replace Lagos with Yorubaland. Lagos house 70% of Nigeria's oil sector (according to you) and that's because Lagos is Nigeria's economic capital. There's really no much difference between other cities in Nigeria apart from Lagos, Abuja and PH except for landmass.

Coming back to the eat being so bad. I would have believed that lie to only that whenever i'm in Owerri, i see a lot of Hausa people hustling at Douglas Road and elsewhere. based on my understanding of Yoruba people, they're the kind of people who love to stay in their comfort zone especially as it relates with Nigeria. Anywhere other than the 3 most important NIgerian cities, they're really not down with it. I don't know if it's due to a fear of the unknown.

The same Yorubaland you run to to find better opportunities is that same one you touts abuse daily on NL.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by ezeagu(m): 2:58am On Sep 15, 2016
musicwriter:

And we are not sovereign nation too?

If our educationists decide to do that, parents would have nothing to do about it, but accept it. Parents don't decide what happens in academia.

If indeed, we do that, an Igbo man would stop considering someone who doesn't speak English as illiterate, just like you cited in Japan.

And, No, Chinese was never a language in Japan. It was tiny Japan that instead controlled China and got part of China (Taiwan) to speak Japanese. You may want to check to get your history right.

By the way, do you know Britain itself did what I'm asking for?

Do you know, once upon a time Britain was also occupied by foreigners and they spoke the language of foreigners?

Do you know Britain once spoke Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Latin?

Britain spoke foreign languages as well when they were occuppied!. But, when Britain regained their freedom, they banned all foreign languages from the entire British isle, and instead adopted their native English language as the language of instruction. The year was 1362 and it was only then that English became an official language.

Britain itself have showed that foreign language isn't good for a sovereign nation; why should it be good for us?

The origin of English language. Everybody should see these videos, it's under 20 minutes, all.

The evolution of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIzFz9T5rhI
The origin of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEaSxhcns7Y
The history of English language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njJBw2KlIEo
How languages evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDKsHm6gTA

The ministry of education or whatever is ran by the same Nigerians who prefer English over their language, besides that how will it be possible for them to make such a drastic decision without the support of most of the populace?

I know the history of the English language, but as you can see English under the Normans and Celtic under the Romans went underground during physical occupations, the Normans assimilated and the French was absorbed after hundreds of years and ceased to be the main language of the elite.

You're not looking far back into Japans history, Japan had no means of writing known today before the Chinese scholars arrived a thousand and some few hundred years ago and introduced writing as well as Chinese as the mode of writing and education to the Japanese, even today Chinese writing is used to write Japanese and they have thousands of terms in their language that's traceable to the southeast of China. China was the central power of east Asia for thousands of years, Japanese identity of being the 'land of the rising sun' is based on being east of China as named in ancient times. However the Japanese, as they started to get clout a thousand years ago, had sense enough to switch from Chinese to Japanese and tweaked the Chinese writing to suit Japanese.

Igbo speakers are not going through a quarter of the adversities these language mentioned went through, yet Igbo speakers are purposely not passing on the language to their children.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by webgenius234(m): 4:28am On Sep 15, 2016
If you own or planning to buy Samsung S7 device , you should read this for your safety

http://www.naijaict.com/2016/09/warning-to-all-samsung-galaxy-note-7.html
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by signz: 6:33am On Sep 15, 2016
Drchristian:

Yorubas will never gather like this anywhere in d south eastern part and they are extra few in population in dat region..(I stand to be corrected)

I'm just back from imo-state, come and see how some kids will always insult the yorubas for their own nightmares chai

This is a wicked lie from the deepest part of hell. What are you trying to achieve with this lie

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 15, 2016
signz:

This is a wicked lie from the deepest part of hell. What are you trying to achieve with this lie
which one v lie?
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by wunmi590(m): 9:07am On Sep 15, 2016
realkingqueen:
can y'all listen to this guy please,he's making a lot of sense..you might learn one or two things from him for real :Dcan y'all listen to this guy please,he's making a lot of sense..you might learn one or two things from him for real

Lol, your comment also make a lot of sense cheesy
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by musicwriter(m): 9:08am On Sep 15, 2016
ezeagu:

The ministry of education or whatever is ran by the same Nigerians who prefer English over their language, besides that how will it be possible for them to make such a drastic decision without the support of most of the populace?

I know the history of the English language, but as you can see English under the Normans and Celtic under the Romans went underground during physical occupations, the Normans assimilated and the French was absorbed after hundreds of years and ceased to be the main language of the elite.

You're not looking far back into Japans history, Japan had no means of writing known today before the Chinese scholars arrived a thousand and some few hundred years ago and introduced writing as well as Chinese as the mode of writing and education to the Japanese, even today Chinese writing is used to write Japanese and they have thousands of terms in their language that's traceable to the southeast of China. China was the central power of east Asia for thousands of years, Japanese identity of being the 'land of the rising sun' is based on being east of China as named in ancient times. However the Japanese, as they started to get clout a thousand years ago, had sense enough to switch from Chinese to Japanese and tweaked the Chinese writing to suit Japanese.

Igbo speakers are not going through a quarter of the adversities these language mentioned went through, yet Igbo speakers are purposely not passing on the language to their children.

Well, I'm not just calling for Igbos to do this alone, but I'm calling on the entire Nigerian nations to adopt their various languages in schools. Remember, this does not mean banning English. English would still be studied, but shouldn't be placed above our native Igbo language.

And, there's a reason we prefer English. The reason is because the more we study English, the more we lose our own values in favour of English!. The more you speak a foreign language, the more you become the people that own that language. Such is the power of language!. We didn't just wake up one morning to prefer English!!. Its rather our stupidity of placing English above our native language that indeed deceive our minds telling us English it better. That's not the case in Russia, Japan, China, Iran, Korea, Germany, e.t.c.

No, you're wrong!. There's much more attack on our native languages across Africa. That attack is happening via the so called education, making it such an innocuous silent killer that you don't evem know its happening. Otherwise, how could you claim our people prefer English already and at the same time argue there's no attack on Igbo language? There's a silent attack- a kind of a cold war is happening under your nose!!

Intellectual slavery is the only reason anybody would consider a foreign language superior to their own language. So, the educationists that are scared to implement what I'm calling for are themselves victims of intellectual mind control. I want us end this chain of passing down inferiority complexe from generation to generation. Indeed, as you noted, the Celtic and Normans only dominated English for a while, but when England got their freedom they banned all foreign languages, except of course, the influence they already left on Englsh. You could consider that as a scar left after an injury. We already have more than enough of such scars in our various native languages across Afria.

Finally, as I said earlier, Japanese and Chinese language are different and have little or nothing in common. Chinese language belongs to a language group linguists call Sino-tibetan which in itself traces back to Proto Sino-tibetan. Japanese language on the other hand is classified as an Isolate. They have no known origin outside Japan. Of course, there've been so many hypothesis, sometimes sheer conspiracy theories to link together KOREAN, CHINESE, and JAPANESE languages.

I've researched all these things before, and still actively researching the relationship between language, education and development.

Here is a link by a Chinese-Japanese linguist and scholar explaining difference between Chinese and Japanese. See http://www.rodmellhouse.com/es/differences-between-chinese-and-japanese-in-a-not-so-nutshell-round-1-do-they-belong-to-the-same-language-family

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by Revolva(m): 11:15am On Sep 15, 2016
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by telemapreye1(f): 12:05pm On Sep 15, 2016
Rehabilitation:

And after somebody will marry this thing and keep for house and claim he has a wife. Mehn some men can be so unlucky!
Lol...I actually married an Igbo man from abia state...so kill yourself but my igbo hubby is the best
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by obainosis4real: 12:33pm On Sep 15, 2016
islandmoon:
Yoruba are mainly the nigerians in London, we don't live where we are not welcome, we love peaceful places , where laws and orders works. I know igbos prefer Malaysia and Lagos , while Edo people prefer Italy
igbos are not only in malysia, they are every where in d world and they are peaceful people, live it love it.... Sorry for staying only in london, as u love monotoy, d Igbos love variety....
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by obainosis4real: 1:00pm On Sep 15, 2016
Scholes00:

Same way I (A Yoruba guy) have literally tasted all the honey pots of the igbo chicks in my street without even asking. These Igbo girls are tripping for yoruba boyz like crazy.... They even beg Yoruba men for marriage. cheesy
It goes both ways.

Nairaland/online is the best place to concoct fables.
gguy keep quiet, d ibo gals are quite expensive d yoruba boiz can't afford dem, secondly they(d yoruba gals) are dirty big ass...
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by EpicMaurice(m): 3:13pm On Sep 15, 2016
telemapreye1:
Lol...I actually married an Igbo man from abia state...so kill yourself but my igbo hubby is the best
you see your life cheesy
telemapreye1:
okay...I never knew
The igbos are the worst set of people in nigeria
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by telemapreye1(f): 3:35pm On Sep 15, 2016
EpicMaurice:

you see your life cheesy
my hubby is diffrent from them
Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by ezeagu(m): 5:18pm On Sep 15, 2016
musicwriter:

Well, I'm not just calling for Igbos to do this alone, but I'm calling on the entire Nigerian nations to adopt their various languages in schools. Remember, this does not mean banning English. English would still be studied, but shouldn't be placed above our native Igbo language.

And, there's a reason we prefer English. The reason is because the more we study English, the more we lose our own values in favour of English!. The more you speak a foreign language, the more you become the people that own that language. Such is the power of language!. We didn't just wake up one morning to prefer English!!. Its rather our stupidity of placing English above our native language that indeed deceive our minds telling us English it better. That's not the case in Russia, Japan, China, Iran, Korea, Germany, e.t.c.

No, you're wrong!. There's much more attack on our native languages across Africa. That attack is happening via the so called education, making it such an innocuous silent killer that you don't evem know its happening. Otherwise, how could you claim our people prefer English already and at the same time argue there's no attack on Igbo language? There's a silent attack- a kind of a cold war is happening under your nose!!

Intellectual slavery is the only reason anybody would consider a foreign language superior to their own language. So, the educationists that are scared to implement what I'm calling for are themselves victims of intellectual mind control. I want us end this chain of passing down inferiority complexe from generation to generation. Indeed, as you noted, the Celtic and Normans only dominated English for a while, but when England got their freedom they banned all foreign languages, except of course, the influence they already left on Englsh. You could consider that as a scar left after an injury. We already have more than enough of such scars in our various native languages across Afria.

Finally, as I said earlier, Japanese and Chinese language are different and have little or nothing in common. Chinese language belongs to a language group linguists call Sino-tibetan which in itself traces back to Proto Sino-tibetan. Japanese language on the other hand is classified as an Isolate. They have no known origin outside Japan. Of course, there've been so many hypothesis, sometimes sheer conspiracy theories to link together KOREAN, CHINESE, and JAPANESE languages.

I've researched all these things before, and still actively researching the relationship between language, education and development.

Here is a link by a Chinese-Japanese linguist and scholar explaining difference between Chinese and Japanese. See http://www.rodmellhouse.com/es/differences-between-chinese-and-japanese-in-a-not-so-nutshell-round-1-do-they-belong-to-the-same-language-family

I'm only talking about status here, the so called attack isn't an outside influence like the example languages histories, but it's an internal things, it's Igbo speakers who invariably are dumping the language. The discussion about Japanese was never about it's similarities with Chinese, but with it's status next to Chinese when Chinese was the language of education in Japan a thousand years ago, besides that there are thousands of terms, as I mentioned, that flowed into Japanese in which there are bother a Chinese reading of the Chinese characters used to write Japanese and a Japanese reading, 'sui' is a Chinese word for 'water' for example but it was imported into Japanese and is used in some terms relating to water.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by musicwriter(m): 6:18pm On Sep 15, 2016
ezeagu:

I'm only talking about status here, the so called attack isn't an outside influence like the example languages histories, but it's an internal things, it's Igbo speakers who invariably are dumping the language. The discussion about Japanese was never about it's similarities with Chinese, but with it's status next to Chinese when Chinese was the language of education in Japan a thousand years ago, besides that there are thousands of terms, as I mentioned, that flowed into Japanese in which there are bother a Chinese reading of the Chinese characters used to write Japanese and a Japanese reading, 'sui' is a Chinese word for 'water' for example but it was imported into Japanese and is used in some terms relating to water.

Of course, you don't realize there's an attack against our native languages across Africa, because we no longer remember how we became English speakers in the first place. We no longer remember English language was forced down the throats of our ancestors, againsts their will, hundreds of years ago. Though white people have left Africa, but according to Patience Jonathan ''their manhood lives on''. The so called education now have us doing the job of white people for them!.. Its a shame!

Well, as long as you acknowledge there's an attack on Igbo language by ''ourselves'' that's o.k, and that's exactly why I want us uproot that system of education that have us place priority on English, then install our own model of education that place priority on our native languages across Africa.

I've never heard of Japanese studying in China, unless there're prehistoric mentiones. But, even at that, it would be similar to the notion that Europeans and Asians studied in Africa thousands of years ago. In that case you also have to agree we Africans taught Europeans and Asians how to read and write. Its also on record they studied in Africa thousands of years ago.

The word ''sui'' meaning same thing in both Chinese and Japanese languages could only have happened as both languages collided in evolution of both cultures or even as a result of sheer coincidence. It has nothing to do with China teaching Japan. I' am sure if you check the entire Nigerian languages you'll discover ''sui'' also would have a meaning here in Nigeria, in same way the Igbo word ''miri'' sounds similar to Yoruba word ''Omi, and both word means the same thing; water!, Yet, both cultures have no history of one teaching the other.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by ezeagu(m): 6:26pm On Sep 15, 2016
musicwriter:

Of course, you don't realize there's an attack against our native languages across Africa, because we no longer remember how we became English speakers in the first place. We no longer remember English language was forced down the throats of our ancestors, againsts their will, hundreds of years ago. Though white people have left Africa, but according to Patience Jonathan ''their manhood lives on''. The so called education now have us doing the job of white people for them!.. Its a shame!

Well, as long as you acknowledge there's an attack on Igbo language by ''ourselves'' that's o.k, and that's exactly why I want us uproot that system of education that have us place priority on English, then install our own model of education that place priority on our native languages across Africa.

I've never heard of Japanese studying in China, unless there're prehistoric mentiones. But, even at that, it would be similar to the notion that Europeans and Asians studied in Africa thousands of years ago. In that case you also have to agree we Africans taught Eurpeans and Asians how to read and write, because its also on record they studied in Africa thousands of years ago.

As I've said before, China was the power centre of east Asia up until the fall of their emperor, the east Asian states like Vietnam, South Korea, and Japan all took their educating from China a thousand years ago which is why these countries either still do use Chinese writing for their languages or they have remnants of it.

There is no attack today from any white people on the Igbo language, an Igbo parent purposely not teaching their children Igbo because it would supposedly corrupt their English has nothing to do with any white men today. In the olden days, yes, western education was in English but the annihilation of Igbo was not enforced in any way, in fact many of the first Igbo literature was written or commissioned by European missionaries, after they left Igbo speakers could have easily moved their institutions to Igbo speaking instructed places, but they didn't, they did the opposite. No white people have anything to do with that. The French colonised Vietnam and the Dutch Indonesia, yet these countries are sovereign and they made their languages official, most African countries have a west European language or Arabic as an official language.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by musicwriter(m): 7:05pm On Sep 15, 2016
ezeagu:

As I've said before, China was the power centre of east Asia up until the fall of their emperor, the east Asian states like Vietnam, South Korea, and Japan all took their educating from China a thousand years ago which is why these countries either still do use Chinese writing for their languages or they have remnants of it.

There is no attack today from any white people on the Igbo language, an Igbo parent purposely not teaching their children Igbo because it would supposedly corrupt their English has nothing to do with any white men today. In the olden days, yes, western education was in English but the annihilation of Igbo was not enforced in any way, in fact many of the first Igbo literature was written or commissioned by European missionaries, after they left Igbo speakers could have easily moved their institutions to Igbo speaking instructed places, but they didn't, they did the opposite. No white people have anything to do with that. The French colonised Vietnam and the Dutch Indonesia, yet these countries are sovereign and they made their languages official, most African countries have a west European language or Arabic as an official language.

Its ironic you say western education has nothing to do with our preference for English and you and I are here speaking English.

If we were colonized by France, you and I would have been speaking French right now.

Are we speaking English here on Nairaland because we want to, or because that's the language we were taught in school? Come on!.

Of course, white people don't have to be here anymore to enforce their policy of having us speak their language. They have done their job many years ago and left!. Its now up to us to free ourselves from the shackles of intellectual slavery, but it appears as you've shown, we have been brainwashed beyond repair and no longer understand English is not our language.

I told you already, Asian countries realized the dangers of making foreign languages a priority in their schools and society, so they banned foreign languages in their schools. They banned it because they wanted to be themselves. Its the right thing to do!.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Language Teaching Centres In Ile-Ife, Osun State Launched by ezeagu(m): 8:00pm On Sep 15, 2016
musicwriter:

Its ironic you say western education has nothing to do with our preference for English and you and I are here speaking English.

If we were colonized by France, you and I would have been speaking French right now.

Are we speaking English here on Nairaland because we want to, or because that's the language we were taught in school? Come on!.

Of course, white people don't have to be here anymore to enforce their policy of having us speak their language. They have done their job many years ago and left!. Its now up to us to free ourselves from the shackles of intellectual slavery, but it appears as you've shown, we have been brainwashed beyond repair and no longer understand English is not our language.

I told you already, Asian countries realized the dangers of making foreign languages a priority in their schools and society, so they banned foreign languages in their schools. They banned it because they wanted to be themselves. Its the right thing to do!.

There is a very large thread where Igbo speakers are writing in English, there's no white man stopping anyone here from writing in Igbo. I did not make any point about western education being or not being the reason for a preference of English, instead the discussion has been about the use of Igbo in education, but your points seem to be coming from the idea that white people told Igbo people to stop speaking their language and they just agreed or whatever. Any language you use as your main mode of communication is your language, however the majority of people in Nigeria do not speak fluent standard English.

Asian languages did not ban foreign languages in their schools, in fact today they're doing the opposite and introducing especially English so their children can compete better internationally, their people were just okay with using their main mode of communication as instructional probably because they didn't have a scattered tribal identity like the Igbo had, they had more of a unified state, and because of that and because these are sovereign nations most of the people speak one general language, unlike in Nigeria which is a federation where everybody has to accommodate each other.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Igbo, Ibibio, Etc. In The Atlantic Slave Trade / White Man Holds Umbrella For Oluwo Of Iwoland, Rasheed Akanbi In London / Why Ugbo People Don’t Marry Ladies Fair In Complexion –oba Olugbo Of Ugbo (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.