Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? (987 Views)

Philippine Bulldozed N2b Worth Of Smuggled Cars That Includes Lambos & Mustangs / Plane Carrying $1 Million Worth Of Gold Crashes In Zimbabwe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? by smileysmiley(f): 10:54am On Sep 13, 2016
In the year 2010, I gained admission into one of the most prestigious universities in Nigeria and this was my beginning of long distance travels cause my school was in a different region from my home. ABC transport easily won my heart with the first class treatment I received on my first trip, it was as good as travelling by air cause the level of comfort was high. The coach was A/C tight, the security was on point, refreshment was superb (better jollof with chicken) grin and the on-board entertainment was good. The very first day I used their service, I knew deep in my heart that it was a done deal, it was either ABC or no one else.

Over the years, I got addicted to travelling with ABC transport and I noticed a gradual recession with their services. They were no longer so efficient. Each time I traveled, I would make an excuse for them in my head, I didn't want to believe that my best transport company in Nigeria was failing, I kept on traveling with them not because of their services anymore but due to their past glory. It was either we were put in a non A/C coach or a coach with a stinking toilet or a coach that'll stop on the way.

I'm writing this post from a stinking ABC coach and I think this might be my last journey with ABC cause today's coach is the worst of all. The first thing I noticed when we were asked to board was the scrappy look of the coach, I entered to realize that the second mobile TV is broken and I was supposed to find solace in my jollof and chicken but it was supplemented with two fibi beef roll (gala) and this small ice tea that sells for a hundred naira only. As if the torture was not enough, the tire burst on the road, I thought it was a minor thing but the attached pictures will show how bad it was. This is a bus that charged seven thousand naira plus luggage fee o... The new and good coaches are designated to Ghana and other West Africa countries they travel to. As we all alighted from the coach to let them fix the tire, I couldn't help but ask myself the worth of a Nigerian life. At times we are too quick to blame the government for our woes but what have we as individuals done to change things. I'm not a supporter of any political party and in fact I've been so mad at our president but I think I agree with this new #changebeginswithme initiative. Why will a Nigerian be so quick to treat fellow Nigerians as second class citizens or are good and new coaches not good for Nigerian roads? What is the worth of my life as a Nigerian?

Cc: Justwise, DisGuy, lalasticlala, seun

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? by Babacele: 5:15pm On Jan 07, 2017
hmmm you got me hooked. I asked myself that fundamental question again and again: What is the worth of my life as a Nigerian?

I took a trip down memory lane to my primary school days where a sense of brotherhood was birthed in me and I remembered that there were no water for us to drink nor any well or tap provided to fetch from whenever we ran out of the bucketful allotted for the day. ....years later I realised the brain doesn't function at its optimum if the body is thirsty not to talk of the effect of the attendant stress on a young body when the teacher vents her anger on a shut brain. Presently, I see young pupils , beneath whose shoeless feet are gold , lead, rich soils that houses wealth being stolen by clueless politicians to whom fate has entrusted their destinies looking for water to sip in response to nature's call , and I can feel their frustrations as their eyes ask " what is my life's worth as a Nigerian?"

My high school was not different as packs of borders like jackals hunt for water they have paid for in their school fees as the school wells were seasonal and the students were to be blamed for it. Any colour of water were welcomed as " alum" magic awaited them. That none of us succumbed to the cold hands of death through typhoid infection still baffles me.
Years later ,gleefully gaining admission into one of the best Fed universities in Nigeria I had thought i was going to enjoy the beauty of the universality of knowledge that the university ideals are known for globally but I was broken hearted. For example, the university, with all her intimidating Engineering edifices and academic show offs couldn't even generate enough water to flush the schools' conveniences which left my imaginative memory messy for a long time. That ,casted a serious doubt in my trust in our universities' claims of being centers of learning if such knowledge therefrom couldn't make water available to increase my life's worth as a Nigerian.

But there is hope........to be continued.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? by AvsGot007(m): 9:30pm On Jan 07, 2017
there is no hope Man! NOTHING IS WORKING
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? by Ugosample(m): 11:39pm On Jan 07, 2017
It's a question I ask myself quite often
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? by claremont(m): 12:02am On Jan 08, 2017
There seems to be a disconnect between the title of this write-up, and the write-up itself.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? by RPDA: 7:32pm On Jan 08, 2017
Too bad
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? by Successjoy(f): 9:54pm On Jan 08, 2017
Hmmm
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 09, 2017
smileysmiley:
In the year 2010, I gained admission into one of the most prestigious universities in Nigeria and this was my beginning of long distance travels cause my school was in a different region from my home. ABC transport easily won my heart with the first class treatment I received on my first trip, it was as good as travelling by air cause the level of comfort was high. The coach was A/C tight, the security was on point, refreshment was superb (better jollof with chicken) grin and the on-board entertainment was good. The very first day I used their service, I knew deep in my heart that it was a done deal, it was either ABC or no one else.

Over the years, I got addicted to travelling with ABC transport and I noticed a gradual recession with their services. They were no longer so efficient. Each time I traveled, I would make an excuse for them in my head, I didn't want to believe that my best transport company in Nigeria was failing, I kept on traveling with them not because of their services anymore but due to their past glory. It was either we were put in a non A/C coach or a coach with a stinking toilet or a coach that'll stop on the way.

I'm writing this post from a stinking ABC coach and I think this might be my last journey with ABC cause today's coach is the worst of all. The first thing I noticed when we were asked to board was the scrappy look of the coach, I entered to realize that the second mobile TV is broken and I was supposed to find solace in my jollof and chicken but it was supplemented with two fibi beef roll (gala) and this small ice tea that sells for a hundred naira only. As if the torture was not enough, the tire burst on the road, I thought it was a minor thing but the attached pictures will show how bad it was. This is a bus that charged seven thousand naira plus luggage fee o... The new and good coaches are designated to Ghana and other West Africa countries they travel to. As we all alighted from the coach to let them fix the tire, I couldn't help but ask myself the worth of a Nigerian life. At times we are too quick to blame the government for our woes but what have we as individuals done to change things. I'm not a supporter of any political party and in fact I've been so mad at our president but I think I agree with this new #changebeginswithme initiative. Why will a Nigerian be so quick to treat fellow Nigerians as second class citizens or are good and new coaches not good for Nigerian roads? What is the worth of my life as a Nigerian?

Cc: Justwise, DisGuy, lalasticlala, seun

You are just as important as anyone from another nationality, your value doesn't depend on another person, the fact that you have an identity attached to a sovereign nation is value placed on you by God.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? by justwise(m): 8:47pm On Jan 09, 2017
Pidgin2:

You are just as important as anyone from another nationality, your value doesn't depend on another person, the fact that you have an identity attached to a sovereign nation is value placed on you by God.

That is not entirely true if at all there is any truth in that.
Re: What Is The Worth Of A Nigerian Life? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Jan 09, 2017
justwise:

That is not entirely true if at all there is any truth in that.

The fact that she is a citizen of a sovereign country is already a source of value. We all seem to have a peculiar complex that makes us place value on ourselves based on others perception of us or how developed the country is(these things are not yardsticks for measuring value or worth).

As a Nigerian, I place the highest value on a fellow Nigerian's life, infact far more than I place on the life of a Citizen of another country.

So the question she asked can't be given a definite anwser. If she asked me I would say she has more worth to me as a Nigerian than any other nationality.

I guess you might feel differently based on the influence citizens of developed countries have by virtue of their citizenship and the way their governments tends to their affairs by making it a priority to tackle issues concerning citizens promptly but regardless of these things the OP's worth as a Nigerian to other patriotic citizens is just as high.

Thus, if a patriotic Nigerian was the owner of such a transport company he or she would do his best to ensure that fellow citizens get the best treatment so asking what she's worth based on the actions of an unpatriotic person is uncalled for.

(1) (Reply)

When Will International Passport Booklet Be Available Nationwide / Here Are 8 Canadian Cities, The Most In-demand Jobs / Us Visa Refusal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.