Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,714 members, 7,802,161 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions (32377 Views)

5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions / Cohabiting: The Silent Killer Of Students In Tertiary Institutions / 10 Underrated Courses Nigerian Students Should Consider Choosing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by glossy6(f): 7:13am On Dec 28, 2016
Jumpology

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Tellemall: 7:15am On Dec 28, 2016
shogat:

people should stop discrimination

Perhaps if your post highlighted the futures of people studying such courses, that person might be more enlightened.

Right now you say they are underrated, but apart from some Nigerian sounding stereotypes you have not really stated how.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Tellemall: 7:15am On Dec 28, 2016
glossy6:
Jumpology

What might this be?
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by igho003(m): 7:16am On Dec 28, 2016
proudly educationist
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Sirmuel1(m): 7:17am On Dec 28, 2016
I have a friend studying igbo. the anger in him every morning while going to class won't let you say this to himcheesy

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by slap1(m): 7:17am On Dec 28, 2016
Because of the poor treatments being accoladed to teachers in Nigeria

undecided Say what?

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by sojikul(m): 7:18am On Dec 28, 2016
costandi:
Like seriously, why would someone study Nigerian languages, history, or botany.

You study it when you already have a laid out strategy to make effective use of it. Otherwise, its more useless than buhari.

Buhari son and daughter can be proud of there father as a president . GUY CAN U BE PROUD OF UR FATHER FOR ONCE?

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Princess4ng(f): 7:22am On Dec 28, 2016
Lol... I remember when I was a History Student... Wen someone ask me of my course of study I was always ashamed to tell... Lol... Thank God I went to a more "sweet named course" grin tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by kokkubabboni421(m): 7:23am On Dec 28, 2016
stephenmorris:
my brother you have always made sense,,,some bloggers are just jobless always looking for what to write
. D problem is, everybody is forming blogger
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by doskie(m): 7:24am On Dec 28, 2016
Anuoluwapo3054:
@OP, am a proud graduate of history and International Studies and I can tell that the problems Nigeria is facing today is because we don't have know our history. Our view or rather conceptions about this course is distorted and that is why we are in a sorry state today because we don't learn from the past. Everything we are today has it origin in history (the early man), the technologies we are enjoying today stemmed from history.... Virtually every professional courses today has it's origin in history. Take a look at our past leaders... Like Odumegwu Ojukwu,he was an Historian and many others.... It is only in Nigeria we don't take this course serious, and that's why bad and corrupt leaders will continue to rule us... Now let's go to the international scene... You can not see a citizen of America who doesn't know the history of their land because it is inculcated on them from elementary stage. Until we go back to our history as a nation, we won't get things done because history is the study of the past and the past is being applied to correct the future... So please remove history from that list.
what do you do for a living?
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by AntiZombie: 7:25am On Dec 28, 2016
Anuoluwapo3054:
@OP, am a proud graduate of history and International Studies and I can tell that the problems Nigeria is facing today is because we don't have know our history. Our view or rather conceptions about this course is distorted and that is why we are in a sorry state today because we don't learn from the past. Everything we are today has it origin in history (the early man), the technologies we are enjoying today stemmed from history.... Virtually every professional courses today has it's origin in history. Take a look at our past leaders... Like Odumegwu Ojukwu,he was an Historian and many others.... It is only in Nigeria we don't take this course serious, and that's why bad and corrupt leaders will continue to rule us... Now let's go to the international scene... You can not see a citizen of America who doesn't know the history of their land because it is inculcated on them from elementary stage. Until we go back to our history as a nation, we won't get things done because history is the study of the past and the past is being applied to correct the future... So please remove history from that list.

i am a History and intl studies undergrad. nice to read this

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Stemalex(m): 7:28am On Dec 28, 2016
Lavendra:
French too, I am a proud French student

bonjour Ma'am
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by iammdshola(m): 7:37am On Dec 28, 2016
transport mgt tech entrepreneuship and business studies
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by vislabraye(m): 7:41am On Dec 28, 2016
umarfantami:
please remove zoology because that was what took Jonathan to presidential villa

grin
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Peterlawyer(m): 7:43am On Dec 28, 2016
[quote author=realGURU post=52317886] / u mentioned physics?
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by nigeriapolitics(f): 7:45am On Dec 28, 2016
Anuoluwapo3054:
God bless u, am an historian n am sooooo Proud of dt course. I studied chemical science (yabatech) but not as happy n fulfill as I am today. History is one of the best course in Nigeria today. @costandi pls get ur fact abt history n strategic stu.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by gudnex22(m): 7:46am On Dec 28, 2016
Odunharry:
Anyone who underrates education course is ignorant...
If u want to go into teaching for full time, a degree in education is required..

As an education student getting a job won't b too difficult

Don't mind them. At the end they will end up as lecturers(teachers). you don't mess with education courses

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Xforce: 7:47am On Dec 28, 2016
The hard fact is,most of the courses in our curriculum are nice,but the Nigerian society has rendered them useless. I mean,we all feel those courses are irrelevant as long as they re not the professional ones we know,Law,accounting,medicine and the likes. Even though the other courses are not meant to be underated or overlooked,our society made sure they'll never get any relevance.

Read up there where someone was asking if those courses that the Op wrote has a future in Nigeria,my question would be,are we giving those courses a future?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Alphasoar(m): 7:47am On Dec 28, 2016
costandi:

You study it when you already have a laid out strategy to make effective use of it. Otherwise, its more useless than buhari.

seconded!
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Xforce: 7:50am On Dec 28, 2016
costandi:

You've said it all sir...they study it when they already have a laid out strategy to make effective use of it...now what makes you think most of the people studying it don't have plans? We all have reasons and plans for the courses we study,but the question is,do those plans ever see limelight in this kind of a country?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Xforce: 7:53am On Dec 28, 2016
shogat:

people should stop discrimination
we all know that,but would they? The truth is no,so what can we do? Nothing at all...we re helpless against this
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by brainhgeek(m): 7:53am On Dec 28, 2016
truth being said, zoology is a complex branch of biology from which medicine, anatomy, physiology, genetics , parasitology, histology etc are birthed. same goes for botany, pharmacy is a complex fragment of botany. As an undergraduate of zoology (200level then), I remember enlightening a friend studying medicine at UNILAG in anatomy. I did comparative vertebrate anatomy while she did only human anatomy.
Today, I am a UN awardee for speaking up for biodiversity preservation and I have an good job.
The submission is this, whatever you graduated with, you can make relevance out of it. I've seen a medic who dumped his career for music. I've heard of an engineering student who dropped out in his 3rd year to enter into photography. besides, in the Nigeria of today, your course is really irrelevant for some jobs. you still get retrained by your employer. Just graduate with a good grade and/or know few people who can connect you.
ultimately, God should be given the largest share of our lives. write your biography with pencil and give both the eraser and biro to God

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 28, 2016
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by idris4r83(m): 8:00am On Dec 28, 2016
brainhgeek:
truth being said, zoology is a complex branch of biology from which medicine, anatomy, physiology, genetics , parasitology, histology etc are birthed. same goes for botany, pharmacy is a complex fragment of botany. As an undergraduate of zoology (200level then), I remember enlightening a friend studying medicine at UNILAG in anatomy. I did comparative vertebrate anatomy while she did only human anatomy.
Today, I am a UN awardee for speaking up for biodiversity preservation and I have an good job.
The submission is this, whatever you graduated with, you can make relevance out of it. I've seen a medic who dumped his career for music. I've heard of an engineering student who dropped out in his 3rd year to enter into photography. besides, in the Nigeria of today, your course is really irrelevant for some jobs. you still get retrained by your employer. Just graduate with a good grade and/or know few people who can connect you.
ultimately, God should be given the largest share of our lives. write your biography with pencil and give both the eraser and biro to God
gbam
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by mengho(m): 8:04am On Dec 28, 2016
proudly an agricultural graduate & full time farmer

3 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by izicooo(f): 8:14am On Dec 28, 2016
Hmm op, zoology made me what i am today. I applied for medicine in the University of Maiduguri but was given zoology instead i was not very happy with the course but i had no choice. I studied it, went to serve after service I enrolled for PGDE, before then i applied for employment as a graduate assistant guess what, today I am a lecturer in the University of Nigeria Nsukka department of Zoology currently doing my masters in UNN in parasitology. Why i my saying all this things, lets stop discouraging anybody because there is a future in all courses.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by Handsomecole(m): 8:18am On Dec 28, 2016
@ OP I'm proud graduate of Education.
However, let me state that it depends on the Education course you study.
Using my school and faculty as an example ( Obafemi Awolowo University Great IFE')

My department was Educational Foundations and Counselling (EFC) and I studied EFC and Economics.
I was in two departments at the same time and studied both education courses and the economics courses and we offered all the courses that economics dept students offered.

It wasn't easy studying both courses and maintaining your GP but the success of its completion is very gratifying.

So my dept (EFC) is the only awards two in one degree "( B.Sc Ed Economics)" so you have the opportunity and qualification to venture into the Education sector and non Education sector.

1 Like

Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by BestySam(m): 8:19am On Dec 28, 2016
These are your opinion. For me, Home Science and Management should be on that list. Often, recent graduate go to catering school to learn event management, catering, cake and interior/exterior designing. Home science covers these fields.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by silentshots: 8:29am On Dec 28, 2016
well the societal setting is the biggest threat we have just as people are ever eager to leave the village and rural setting for the city where there is little to go around for everyone is the same way everyone of us disregards the opportunities in those field above. Right now people are studying Chinese language and culture, funny enough many student are on scholarship via the program.
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by alexarelano(m): 8:32am On Dec 28, 2016
Repping Agric under APH
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by MAKABBEY(m): 8:35am On Dec 28, 2016
what of religion studies
Re: 5 Most Underrated Courses In Nigerian Tertiary Institutions by hernandson(m): 8:38am On Dec 28, 2016
INTERMAN:
So what shld those studying it go and do now?
when op said under rated,he meant good courses bt ppl think its nt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Apply For Commonwealth Scholarship As A Nigerian Student / Another Missing Person; UNILAG Diploma Female Student (images Below) / Man With 5 Law Degrees, Shares His Poor Sec. School Result; Cautions Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.