Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,759 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? (8949 Views)

On Spirituality And Religion: The Dream Of Zaynie / Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] / The Experience 2016 – Don Moen, Donnie Mcclurkin & More Arrive In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by plaetton: 5:48pm On Sep 13, 2016
Yes. A very valid question.

Since the dawn of human life, and up to this day, there has been so much Ado about spirituality.

In fact, spiritual mumbo jumbos occupy a grossly disproportionate part of the African mind in this 21st century.
Why?

Looking back at the last 6,000 yrs recorded human history, what has the pursuit of " the spiritual" ever benefited humankind?

Thousands of so-called prophets, wise men, enlightened souls, gurus, sons , daughters, nephews and nieces of god have come and gone, and in most cases, left their environments worse than they met them.

Aside from hurling humankind from one dark pit right into another, in what ways have the pursuit of the " spiritual" positively advanced the human trek?

C:C Deepsight.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by ecu120(m): 5:58pm On Sep 13, 2016
As a Christian it has helped me a great deal, both physically,spiritually and mentally.

2 Likes

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by CAPSLOCKED: 5:58pm On Sep 13, 2016

SOMEONE TOLD ME YESTERDAY, THAT MARK ZUCKERBERG IS A FOOL FOR NOT BELIEVING IN GOD.
THAT IN FACT, STEVE JOBS, JOHN LENNON, BILL GATES, ETC.. ARE ALL FOOLS.

WELL, FOR ME THEY'RE ENTERTAINERS AND BUSINESS MEN.
THEY GET RICHER BY SELLING US THEIR ART AND INVENTIONS... JUST LIKE OUR PASTORS.
WE BELIEVE IN MARK BY STAYING ALL NIGHT ON FB AND CHECKING OUR WHATSAP EVEN DURING SUNDAY SERVICE.
WE BELIEVE IN GATES THAT'S WHY WE CANNOT DO WITHOUT OWNING A PC.
WHO DOESN'T LOVE THE FEELING OF OWNING A BRAND NEW IPHONE 7, OR ENJOY THE WORKS OF JAMES CAMERON?

IF YOU CALL THEM FOOLS FOR NOT BELIEVING IN GOD, WHAT DO YOU CALL YOURSELF THAT BELIEVE IN THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN GOD?
WHAT DO YOU CALL YOURSELF IF YOU IGNORE ALL THE POOR AND NEEDY IN YOUR STREET, BUT HEAD TO YOUR CHURCH TO PAY MONEY TO A MAN OF GOD EVERY SUNDAY FOR DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?

THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF RELIGIONS IN THE WORLD, AND CHRISTIANITY IS JUST 1 OUT OF 100. FUNNY ENOUGH YOU'RE A CHRISTIAN BECAUSE OF THE PEOPLE FROM ENGLAND.
IF YOU DON'T KNOW THIS, THEN YOU'RE LIKE MARK ZUCKERBERG AND BILL GATES TO MY FRIEND... A FOOL. cheesy

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by butterfly88(m): 5:59pm On Sep 13, 2016
Permission to book space angry...oya where are the gnostics,wayfarers etcetera grin...we deh wait

1 Like

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by johnydon22(m): 6:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
Were there much difference between Spiritualism, mysticism and science during the ancient times?

The ancient incorporated spiritualism, mysticism and all round superstition in their quest to understand the world.

besides plaetton don't you think Spiritualism means different things to different minds and cultures?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by plaetton: 6:14pm On Sep 13, 2016
johnydon22:
Were there much difference between Spiritualism, mysticism and science during the ancient times?

The ancient incorporated spiritualism, mysticism and all round superstition in their quest to understand the world.

besides plaetton don't you think Spiritualism means different things to different minds and cultures?

Actually, it's easy to understand ancient man's quests to understand his environment and his place in it.

Therefore, my query is more for the modern humans in this 21st century, especially as always, my African brethren.
We have the long treks of history to teach us that the pursuit of " the spiritual" has given humankind nothing but more ignorance and confusion.

1 Like

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by plaetton: 6:16pm On Sep 13, 2016
ecu120:
As a Christian it has helped me a great deal, both physically,spiritually and mentally.

As opposed to ? ...that didn't help you physically, spiritually and mentally ?

2 Likes

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by butterfly88(m): 6:26pm On Sep 13, 2016
plaetton:

Actually, it's easy to understand ancient man's quests to understand his environment and his place in it.

Therefore, my query is more for the modern humans in this 21st century, especially as always, my African brethren.
We have the long treks of history to teach us that the pursuit of " the spiritual" has given humankind nothing but more ignorance and confusion.
well true...but they are other countries who have retained their spirituality and have excelled in other stratas immensely..what I mean by this is ..i don't think "spirituality" is the problem with Africa I think the actual problem with Africa is spiritual ignorance,spiritual corruption,hypocrism, fanatism

4 Likes

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by CAPSLOCKED: 6:37pm On Sep 13, 2016
butterfly88:
well true...but they are other countries who have retained their spirituality and have excelled in other stratas immensely..what I mean by this is ..i don't think "spirituality" is the problem with Africa I think the actual problem with Africa is spiritual ignorance,spiritual corruption,hypocrism, fanatism

YES, AND THE CHURCH PLAYS A MAJOR ROLE IN THE PROMULGATION OF CORRUPTION, GREED, HYPOCRISM, AND ALL ROUND IDIOCY.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by DeepSight(m): 6:39pm On Sep 13, 2016
plaetton:
Yes. A very valid question.

Since the dawn of human life, and up to this day, there has been so much Ado about spirituality.

In fact, spiritual mumbo jumbos occupy a grossly disproportionate part of the African mind in this 21st century.
Why?

Looking back at the last 6,000 yrs recorded human history, what has the pursuit of " the spiritual" ever benefited humankind?

Thousands of so-called prophets, wise men, enlightened souls, gurus, sons , daughters, nephews and nieces of god have come and gone, and in most cases, left their environments worse than they met them.

Aside from hurling humankind from one dark pit right into another, in what ways have the pursuit of the " spiritual" positively advanced the human trek?

C:C Deepsight.

What has happened to you? ? ?

It appears you have conflated spirituality with religion. . . .

You know very well that these two things are different.

If not for the pursuit of the spiritual, what purpose and inner meaning can a human being put to life?
Would man not simply exist as a hobbesian beast?

When you look at a human being, what do you see?

When you look at yourself, what do you see?

A meaningless physical agglomeration of darting physical micro-particles which somehow comes together as one, not just to feed itself in physical terms but to even project ideas to change the world. Is this the thing that you believe is a mere beast, nothing more than an intelligent and advanced beast?

Regardless advancement, do you not see a clear - and - improbably too wide gap between the faculties of man and those of other creatures?

How often have you sat before and contemplated the dead body of a close friend or relative? If you have done this, you would understand that there is absolutely nothing to the physical life save the pursuit of, and refinement of our real spiritual existence outside this vehicle called a body.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by plaetton: 6:41pm On Sep 13, 2016
butterfly88:
well true...but they are other countries who have retained their spirituality and have excelled in other stratas immensely..what I mean by this is ..i don't think "spirituality" is the brother with Africa I think the actual problem with Africa is spiritual ignorance,spiritual corruption,hypocrism, fanatism

I beg to disagree sir.

India, for example, arguably the headquarters of spiritual mumbo jumbos, was a poor , pathetic nation overflowing with stark ignorance and mind-numbing poverty until the modern era, when they embraced practical Western education and science.
All the so-called spiritual magic of India didn't advance the people of India in any notable positive way for many millennia. One century of scientific rationalism did.

In Africa today, spiritual mumbo jumbos occupy sooooo much, a greatly disproportionate part of the mind, that there is hardly Any room for scientific rationalism, scientific curiosity.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by butterfly88(m): 6:44pm On Sep 13, 2016
CAPSLOCKED:

YES, AND THE CHURCH PLAYS A MAJOR ROLE IN THE PROMULGATION OF CORRUPTION, GREED, HYPOCRISM, AND ALL ROUND IDIOCY.
grin...yes and no...no because we have refuses to nourish our self appropriately on what spiritualism truly entails we want things on a platter of gold and life was never constructed to be a bed of roses....and until man's understands spirituality/morality he will remain CAPSLOCKED cry...and this plague that has visited Africa will remain there
Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by butterfly88(m): 6:49pm On Sep 13, 2016
Plaetton, ,Maybe you should put countries like Iran on this same scale(that which you put india)...

Well spirituality on no spirituality..
I get champions league to watch...

1 Like

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by plaetton: 6:50pm On Sep 13, 2016
DeepSight:

If not for the pursuit of the spiritual, what purpose and inner meaning can a human being put to life?

A meaningless physical agglomeration of darting physical micro-particles which somehow comes together as one, not just to feed itself in physical terms but to even project ideas to change the world. Is this the thing that you believe is a mere beast, nothing more than an intelligent and advanced beast?

Regardless advancement, do you not see a clear - and - improbably too wide gap between the faculties of man and those of other creatures?

How often have you sat before and contemplated the dead body of a close friend or relative? If you have done this, you would understand that there is absolutely nothing to the physical life save the pursuit of, and refinement of our real spiritual existence outside this vehicle called a body.

There is little difference between spirituality and religion.

If you think that human life only has meaning and depth when we believe in non-physical , non- quantifiable abstracts, then I have to say that you might be behind in social evolution.

My question is ; what quality, what enduring quality does it add to human life , aside from being promoted as an insurance policy to be redeemed after death ?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by hahn(m): 7:06pm On Sep 13, 2016
DeepSight:

Do you realize that "our real spiritual existence" is subjective?

You believe in one version of the postulation of an afterlife while there are more than 4,200 other versions.

Why is yours any more real than the others?

And why should we indulge in such wishful thinking despite lack of evidence of it's existence?

This life is the only thing that is guaranteed. Here and now. It would be a more profitable venture if we focused on making the best of what we have now in this present time because this is the only thing that is guaranteed. Don't you think?

4 Likes

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by taurus25(m): 7:07pm On Sep 13, 2016
yeah i get where youre coming from. Its a little bit disappointing the incredible last of scientific curiosity or better put lack of rational investigation of anything perceived as a strange occurance in this part of the world, in this 21st century.

Africans are too hasty to attach a 'spiritual' meaning to everything be it a very normal natural occurance or probably something they dont get to see everyday.

A pityful experience is a story of one of my neighbour, an elderly woman who began to notice mild pains in her breast and insteady of taking the very obvious next step which any 21st century mind should take which is having a medical examination she instead opted to go for prayers because shes very 'spritual' and its an attack from the infamous "ememy"........well i pity africa

1 Like

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by plaetton: 7:18pm On Sep 13, 2016
DeepSight:

What has happened to me is that I have looked back at human history, and I began to wonder why the much Ado about spirituality.
Who e don EPP? grin
Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by plaetton: 7:20pm On Sep 13, 2016
hahn:

And why should we indulge in such wishful thinking despite lack of evidence of it's existence?

This life is the only thing that is guaranteed. Here and now. It would be a more profitable venture if we focused on making the best of what we have now in this present time because this is the only thing that is guaranteed. Don't you think?

This is an award winner.
smiley
Bravo, my friend, bravo.

1 Like

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by DeepSight(m): 7:34pm On Sep 13, 2016
plaetton:

I beg to disagree sir.

India, for example, arguably the headquarters of spiritual mumbo jumbos, was a poor , pathetic nation overflowing with stark ignorance and mind-numbing poverty until the modern era, when they embraced practical Western education and science.
All the so-called spiritual magic of India didn't advance the people of India in any notable positive way for many millennia. One century of scientific rationalism did.

In Africa today, spiritual mumbo jumbos occupy sooooo much, a greatly disproportionate part of the mind, that there is hardly Any room for scientific rationalism, scientific curiosity.

Most education of the West which led to inquiry and further thinking and thus invention and development sprang in most cases from religious institutions, and as such I do not get your point.

The fact that much of the West has moved past religious attachment does not in any way indicate that religious history and the institutions that sprang therefrom have not played a significant part in western statehood, empire, institutional development and even scientific inquiry, not to speak of the refinement of the arts.

The religious beliefs of the Japanese and Chinese did nothing to retard their development. Neither that of ancients such as the Egyptians, Babylonians, Aztecs and many others. And even if you choose to brush ancient instances aside as I see you already attempting above (which you can't), the overwhelmingly religious tendency of most of modern America has done nothing to stop them being the scientific leader of the modern world.

I think you need to do two things:

1. Stop conflating religion with spirituality

2. Focus your criticism on hypocritical, blind and ignorant religion or spirituality and not spirituality for itself.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by DeepSight(m): 7:40pm On Sep 13, 2016
hahn:

Do you realize that "our real spiritual existence" is subjective?

Of course it is.

You believe in one version of the postulation of an afterlife while there are more than 4,200 other versions.

I don't know who told you this. I certainly do not believe this nor have I ever postulated this. I most certainly do not believe in one version of the afterlife.

Thus, this is an example of you making assumptions. That's quite sad.

Now, if you could make such a cosmic leap of an assumption on this small matter, how can I take your point of views seriously?

Why is yours any more real than the others?

I do not believe that it is. I have never argued so: if anything I have argued the reverse: I have spoken about infinite realities and infinite planes.

Only an unthinking man makes such a statement as this. I don't know how you are able to wake up in the morning and have a look in the mirror and convince yourself your are simply a walking corpse, an edible piece flesh and nothing more. If this is your perception of your being, you are a most unawakened one, my friend. You have yet to come to recognition of any sort.

This is nonsense. I am tired of your puerile assumptions already - who says acknowledging spirituality means one should waste the present time or not use each day to its fullest and make the best of every passing moment? ? ? ?

You think in black and white.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by hahn(m): 7:47pm On Sep 13, 2016
DeepSight:

Of course it is.

I don't know who told you this. I certainly do not believe this nor have I ever postulated this.

Thus, this is an example of you making assumptions. That's quite sad.

Now, if you could make such a cosmic leap of an assumption on this small matter, how can I take your point of views seriously?

Okay. My bad. I assumed you were a Christian.

I do not believe that it is. I have never argued so: if anything I have argued the reverse: I have spoken about infinite realities and infinite planes.

Infinite realities and infinite planes? This is new

Only an unthinking man makes such a statement as this. I don't know how you are able to wake up in the morning and have a look in the mirror and convince yourself your are simply a walking corpse, and edible piece flesh and nothing more. If this is your perception of your being, you are a most unawakened one, my friend. You have yet to come to recognition of any sort.

Now, just look at who is making hasty assumptions undecided

This statement doesn't deserve a reasonable response.

This is nonsense. I am tired of your puerile assumptions already - who says acknowledging spirituality means one should waste the present time or not use each day to its fullest and make the best of every passing moment? ? ? ?

You think in black and white.

If you are convinced that there is some other life after this without any proof, then you are not even thinking for yourself.

Ciao

4 Likes

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by Ishilove: 7:57pm On Sep 13, 2016
It haf epp me.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by sonofluc1fer: 7:59pm On Sep 13, 2016
Ishilove:
It haf epp me.
Babe. cry
Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by plaetton: 8:02pm On Sep 13, 2016
Ishilove:
It haf epp me.
Better than or as opposed to ..?
Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by DeepSight(m): 8:12pm On Sep 13, 2016
plaetton:

This is an award winner.
smiley
Bravo, my friend, bravo.

Only in your blinkered eyes and obsessive mind, my friend: for what he wrote is nothing but gibberish: gibberish in that it contains ridiculous assumptions - there is nothing with regard to believing in and seeking spirituality which suggests that one should not live every day to the fullest and seek out the best of the present life: if anything, a spiritual point of view will encourage one to do this fervently.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by yorhmienerd(m): 8:15pm On Sep 13, 2016
It epps me alot, prayer rules
Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by DeepSight(m): 8:18pm On Sep 13, 2016
hahn:

Oh? Beacause the man you see in the mirror is not a "being" but just a "body?"

Have you really reflected carefully on this matter?

Now let me ask you to do something. Have you ever taken a really really deep and close look at the next human being?

Try it again. A really really deep look at anyone around you. All about them, head to feet, front, back and sides. Look very very carefully around the temples and the eyes take a few moments and look closely.

You are obviously missing something. Something glaring.

If you are convinced that there is some other life after this without any proof, then you are not even thinking for yourself.

Ciao

Oh dear, another one of the gang who insist there is no water on Earth whilst they sit in the middle of the ocean itself. And of course, demand that others should show the proof of the existence of water.

Comical, if it were not so sad.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by DeepSight(m): 8:19pm On Sep 13, 2016
hahn:

Oh? Beacause the man you see in the mirror is not a "being" but just a "body?"

Have you really reflected carefully on this matter?

Now let me ask you to do something. Have you ever taken a really really deep and close look at the next human being?

Try it again. A really really deep look at anyone around you. All about them, head to feet, front, back and sides. Look very very carefully around the temples and the eyes take a few moments and look closely.

You are obviously missing something. Something glaring.

Ciao

Oh dear, another one of the gang who insist there is no water on Earth whilst they sit in the middle of the ocean itself. And of course, demand that others should show the proof of the existence of water.

Comical, if it were not so sad.
Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by Chubhie: 8:20pm On Sep 13, 2016
DeepSight:

Only in your blinkered eyes and obsessive mind, my friend: for what he wrote is nothing but gibberish: gibberish in that it contains ridiculous assumptions - there is nothing with regard to believing in and seeking spirituality which suggests that one should not live every day to the fullest and seek out the best of the present life: if anything, a spiritual point of view will encourage one to do this fervently.
Flesh and blood has not revealed this to you. May the cosmic universe grace you with more wisdom that transcends logic.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by DeepSight(m): 8:26pm On Sep 13, 2016
Mr. Hahn,

You should study this image and see if the point strikes you. If it doesn't perhaps later.

Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by JackBizzle: 8:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
DeepSight:

Mr. Hahn,

You should study this image and see if the point strikes you. If it doesn't perhaps later.

undecided

Just make your point. No need for disgusting pictures
Re: Spirituality: Who E Don EPP? by MizMyColi(f): 8:51pm On Sep 13, 2016
@Deepsight

Please are you a grail message adherent?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

“in Every Hour, 667 Muslims Convert To Christianity." Sheikh Ahmad Al Qataani / Ask Jesus To Appear / Japan Is The Only Country Keeping Islam At The Bay.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.