Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,848 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:22 AM

Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? (1687 Views)

Bomb Blast At Gambari Market Maiduguri This Morning (Photos) / Asari: Amaechi Betrayed Saro-wiwa & ND With His Pro-gambari APC Rally Speech / Wikileaks:how Condi Rice Got Amb Gambari Fired From Burma Job Over Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 09, 2009
I was just doing some research on wikipedia now and buzzed into this man's profile, even he's not new to me.
This man is Nigeria's gift to international community. Arguably, our number 1 international citizen now. He has been used by UN in peace missions in other nations, even though we don't seem to appreciate his value at home.

Can this man rise to become UN SecGen? This may be difficult,given that two Africans just occupied the post in succession, but we cannot rule it out.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by AndreUweh(m): 12:04pm On Oct 09, 2009
It will not be Africa's turn during his life time. Gambari is an achiever. I think, the most thing to happen to him is to head the Afenifere. I have my reasons.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by citizenY(m): 12:21pm On Oct 09, 2009
Na ma teacher b4 and e good. The low key status we have consigned ourselves to

in world affairs must be very embarrassing to him, Imagine this man working with a

nonentity like Madueke? Ohafia dancers make better music than this guy. This

lacklustre profile cannot support high wire diplomatic moves to get him a position as UN

secretary general. THIS MAN IS MOVING ON HIS OWN STEAM- BY SHEER BRILLIANCE and

not on the clout of Nigeria.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by Sagamite(m): 12:38pm On Oct 09, 2009
Andre Uweh:

It will not be Africa's turn during his life time. Gambari is an achiever. I think, the most thing to happen to him is to head the Afenifere. I have my reasons.

You are right, it is unlikely in his lifetime but he has done enough to be worthy of the prestige allocated to top diplomats.

In regards to Afenifere, I thought a guy with the name Gambari is more likely to feel Fulani than Yoruba. Jarus please clarify.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by citizenY(m): 12:46pm On Oct 09, 2009
Ha, they have come. We are talking of UN / International politics please.
Abi Afenifere is now a member of the UN?
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by AndreUweh(m): 12:57pm On Oct 09, 2009
citizenY:

Ha, they have come. We are talking of UN / International politics please.
Abi Afenifere is now a member of the UN?

As for UN job, count him out. His next move should be to head Afenifere. Do you not want the Afenifere to move ahead?. Jarus, please fall in.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by citizenY(m): 1:29pm On Oct 09, 2009
When are you arranging the interview?
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by AndreUweh(m): 1:40pm On Oct 09, 2009
Not by interview, but by election.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by citizenY(m): 2:45pm On Oct 09, 2009
embarassed tongue cheesy grin good luck
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 09, 2009
First and foremost,Gambari, with such exposure, will not relegate himself to the level of speaking for a tribe. Here is a man that has represented the whole world in installing peace in countries like Angola,Myammar etc.
Like any other Ilorin man(Saraki,Idiagbon and co) however,their tribal affiliation is usually complex and fraught with politics. Gambari is an Ilorin prince and he was one of the favourites for the emirship position with the current emir. I can't say categorically which tribe Ibrahim lays claim to whether Yoruba or Fulani, forget about the names Agboola and Gambari, Olusola Saraki also says he's Fulani.

I think Ibrahim Gambari has gone past all those tribal politics but I don't know whether he's Yoruba or Fulani.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by AndreUweh(m): 5:35pm On Oct 09, 2009
Gambari can not remain in the UN or offshore forever. He is a Nigeria, and every Nigerian belongs to an ethnic group. After his services with the UN, his skills are still required to move the group forward.
I think if he is given a mandate to head the Afenifere, it will be a big blow to those Kwarans who doubt their Yorubaness. It happened else where in Nigeria last January.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by AloyEmeka3: 6:09pm On Oct 09, 2009
Jarus:

First and foremost,Gambari, with such exposure, will not relegate himself to the level of speaking for a tribe. Here is a man that has represented the whole world in installing peace in countries like Angola,Myammar etc.
Like any other Ilorin man(Saraki,Idiagbon and co) however,their tribal affiliation is usually complex and fraught with politics. Gambari is an Ilorin prince and he was one of the favourites for the emirship position with the current emir. I can't say categorically which tribe Ibrahim lays claim to whether Yoruba or Fulani, forget about the names Agboola and Gambari, Olusola Saraki also says he's Fulani.

I think Ibrahim Gambari has gone past all those tribal politics but I don't know whether he's Yoruba or Fulani.
If the bolded comment is the truth, then he shouldn't have a problem identifying with his tribe no matter the political consequences. That being said, I think Gambari will best serve Nigeria at the international scene. Something like an envoy to the UN or US or permanent member to the Un security council for Nigeria. On the other hand, he can be Nigeria's secretary of state in African affairs. all these Ecowas wahala needs someone with an in depth  diplomatic experience because Nigeria seems to be lacking in those areas. Our french African neighbours knows how to align with each other and play politics against Nigeria anytime the need arises.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by mekuslogan: 6:47pm On Oct 09, 2009
Andre Uweh:

It happened else where in Nigeria last January.

You must mean Igbo electing a Deltan as their president? You right bro, you right
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by AndreUweh(m): 1:49pm On Oct 10, 2009
mekuslogan:

You must mean Igbo electing a Deltan as their president? You right bro, you right
That is the best way to shut the mouths of some Delta North people who doubt their Igboness. It is similar to Kwara State. Gambari with his experience and exposure can rebrand the beleaguered Afenifere and also resolve the identity crisis in Kwara state. What do you think Jarus and other Kwarans?.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 10, 2009
Bros, me I no sabi any Afenifere or Arewa o. Me I be confirmed, full-blooded Yoruba boy sha and a Kwaran. I'm not Fulani. Let Gambari identify wt any tribe he wants, na hm choice. But I personally will not identify wt Afenifere or any group with tribal, rather than national cause.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by sjeezy8: 10:23pm On Oct 10, 2009
Afenifere is done, any sensible politician in the 21 century/modern day anywhere would not lessen themselves to tribal parties. Those who always align themselves with tribal affiliations will ALWAYS feel marginalized and ousted.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by SwaggaCob(m): 12:49pm On Oct 11, 2009
Another tribalistic sentimental course ? To move a nation forward, the country should be seen as one, and not a division of some punk asses.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by KnowAll(m): 1:24pm On Oct 11, 2009
Afeniferes is for only SWesterns and not open to Kwara indigenes, is like asking a Yoruba man from Republic of Benin to come and head Afenifere. Kwara was never part of western state why would they want to be part of Afenifere. No shared history other than Language.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by AndreUweh(m): 1:41pm On Oct 11, 2009
But the Adebayo's etc are interested in Afenifere. Why not give them a chance?.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 16, 2009
sjeezy8:

Afenifere is done, any sensible politician in the 21 century/modern day anywhere would not lessen themselves to tribal parties. Those who always align themselves with tribal affiliations will ALWAYS feel marginalized and ousted.
The reason why AD, APGA and co will never win a national election.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by mustafar1: 7:45pm On Oct 16, 2009
He joined us in observing Iftar and Tarawih prayers at our mosque in NY this past ramadan. he actually identified himself with a region cos i think he was asked or something like that. unfortunately i wasnt really paying attention at the time so i cant remember what he had said prior to my listening to him speak.
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by mustafar1: 7:54pm On Oct 16, 2009
Anyway, with what i gathered from listening to him. i wonder why our government hasnt really tapped into his wealth of knowledge with regards our foreign policy or even domestic policy and stuff
Re: Ibrahim Agboola Gambari? by bawomolo(m): 7:57pm On Oct 16, 2009
sjeezy8:

(1) (Reply)

GCON-Grand Crook Of The Order Of Niger, Nigeria National Dishonour Awards / April Polls: Acn, Cpc, Anpp Plan To Stop Pdp / Mobi Oparaku, Brutalized By Some Policemen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.