Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,800 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Alternative To Wheat Flour - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Alternative To Wheat Flour (10022 Views)

Duru Bulgur Wheat Rice / Any Alternative For Wheat Flour? / Supplier (rice, Sugar, Wheat Flour) Need Buyers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alternative To Wheat Flour by yeancahwunmi(f): 8:54pm On Sep 14, 2016
Due to the high cost of wheat in the market, we had to source for an alternative and guess what it is...

GUINEA CORN FLOUR

Yes, the same guinea corn used for the brown akamu/ogi.

All you need do is to pick the dirts and stone, blow it to remove the dust and then grind into powder form.

Prepare it the way you prepare your semo or amala.

Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by funevey(f): 12:45pm On Sep 15, 2016
awesome, I'll try this
Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by yeancahwunmi(f): 9:58pm On Sep 16, 2016
funevey:
awesome, I'll try this

Please do and I'm sure you'll like it. You can also mix it with semo flour.

Cc missyB3
Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by YabaLeftist: 2:48pm On Sep 17, 2016
A very unsuitable alternative if you ask me. Can you use this to make cake, chin chin, bread, meat pie, buns, etc?

HELL NO!

A better alternative is cassava flour. It has a pure white color, same as wheat four.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by Baroba(m): 4:51pm On Sep 17, 2016
YabaLeftist:
A very unsuitable alternative if you ask me. Can you use this to make cake, chin chin, bread, meat pie, buns, etc?

HELL NO!

A better alternative is cassava flour. It has a pure white color, same as wheat four.

Well at least, it is a good healthy alternative to garri as per swallow, Baking will probably need something more refined..

Guinea corn is dawa dawa right? I use plantain flour, freshly made..
Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by yeancahwunmi(f): 5:52pm On Sep 17, 2016
YabaLeftist:

HELL NO!

I didn't mention baking, it's for swallow. Talking about 'better alternative', please cassava is not better than guinea corn. For info about its nutritional value, Google is your friend.
Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by yeancahwunmi(f): 5:56pm On Sep 17, 2016
Baroba:

Well at least, it is a good healthy alternative to garri as per swallow, Baking will probably need something more refined..

Guinea corn is dawa dawa right? I use plantain flour, freshly made..

Thanks for your response.
I've tried the plantain flour mixed with wheat flour, it's delicious.

Could you please help with the processes involved in making the plantain flour myself?
Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by yeancahwunmi(f): 5:43pm On Sep 19, 2016
yeancahwunmi:

Thanks for your response.
I've tried the plantain flour mixed with wheat flour, it's delicious.

Could you please help with the processes involved in making the plantain flour myself?

Still awaiting your response @baroba
Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by babymillenium(f): 6:35am On Sep 20, 2016
I have an awesome alternative and that is finger millet flour or tamba as some know it as. Its hundred percent better than wheat and has no gluten

1 Like

Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by Baroba(m): 2:30am On Sep 21, 2016
yeancahwunmi:

Sorry about the late reply, I don't actually make the flour myself, but I know the process involves buying green plantain, cutting into chunks, sun drying it and then milled into flour.. These you can buy already made from markets..

Personally, I prefer to buy fresh, boil and mix with a food processor, I prefer the texture to dry powdered one..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by Baroba(m): 2:32am On Sep 21, 2016
babymillenium:
I have an awesome alternative and that is finger millet flour or tamba as some know it as. Its hundred percent better than wheat and has no gluten

Interesting, never heard of it....
Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by Baroba(m): 2:43pm On Sep 22, 2016
yeancahwunmi:

see what a freshly made plantain starch looks like

3 Likes

Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by babymillenium(f): 8:11pm On Sep 23, 2016
Baroba:

Interesting, never heard of it....

Well known in northern part.

Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by Beejayx: 1:12pm On May 24, 2017
yeancahwunmi:
Due to the high cost of wheat in the market, we had to source for an alternative and guess what it is...

GUINEA CORN FLOUR

Yes, the same guinea corn used for the brown akamu/ogi.

All you need do is to pick the dirts and stone, blow it to remove the dust and then grind into powder form.

Prepare it the way you prepare your semo or amala.

Thanks.
Hmm ow dd u discover d's...

Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by mysticgal(f): 10:45pm On May 26, 2017
Op was there a special way to make it or was it through the normal way
Re: Alternative To Wheat Flour by Wilmtexx(m): 5:43am On Nov 21, 2019
wink yep is truly a great alternative that is what I eat for over Months now to control my blood sugar,I do mix it with pearl millet and tamba and is been great,I won't eat garri or fufu again grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Easy Fondant Recipe / What Was The First Food You Ate In 2023? / The First Time You Cooked?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.