Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,749 members, 7,802,293 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:04 PM

Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff (13250 Views)

How To Survive A Job Loss / How To Survive A Job Loss / Job Loss, A Harsh Reality: 7 Things To Help Pick Up The Broken Pieces (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by AntiWailer: 7:18am On Sep 16, 2016
Not only low level
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by Rich4god(m): 7:25am On Sep 16, 2016
Oga OP... Before you conclude, you could have done some research.... Those big shot, in some banks are the business drivers..... Though it seems like they don't do any when you walk into their office. But alot is in their head. I know of a senior manager who is a branch head of a new generation bank. He has a personal target of 100mil monthly and a branch target of 200mil.... He has to achieve that in other to solidify his stay in the bank. It's not all that easy for them. Believe me, if you are a junior staff and you introduce a good business to the bank, no body will want to terminate your job, that's if you were not promoted.... Truth be told, the bank spends a whole lot of money on the senior managers, but they pay back in one way or the other.
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by linusbnn(m): 7:26am On Sep 16, 2016
alabiman:

Im not talking about junior or senior staff. I mean the top echelon of the banks. For example, skyebank downsize in June this year how many top executive were affected when in actual fact, they nearly run that bank down if not for the quick intervention of the CBN. What im saying is more often than not, staff outside management cadre are often made to pay the price even when it is glaring that management has made and implemented a policy that backfire.

The top management staffs makes the decisions,will u bring out policies that will affect u negatively? That is the truth

2 Likes

Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by AreaFada2: 7:29am On Sep 16, 2016
Funny question. grin

It is because those top guns are the ones doing the downsizing. It is their job to keep business profitable and it is a lot of responsibility. It is unfair but would you downsize yourself in their position? shocked

3 Likes

Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by Nobody: 7:39am On Sep 16, 2016
eph12:
Not only junior staff. And if you think they don't do anything you're wrong. Those guys have a lot of work to do.
Give us some examples of the hard work they do please.
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by Nobody: 7:43am On Sep 16, 2016
eph12:

For those guys to be retained don't you think there's something they have going for them? Maybe they brought a top client to the bank?
I doubt it, Nigerian banks still run like the political class.

1 Like

Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by mostyg(m): 7:53am On Sep 16, 2016
who do u think decides staff to retain and staff to let go? Would you have decided against yourself if you a BM, GM, or ED?
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by eph12(m): 8:00am On Sep 16, 2016
blueseacats:
Give us some examples of the hard work they do please.
Banks or Senior managers generally?
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by AZeD1(m): 8:05am On Sep 16, 2016
Experience..

It's easier and cheaper to replace a low level staff than a management staff.
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by eph12(m): 8:07am On Sep 16, 2016
Rich4god:
Oga OP... Before you conclude, you could have done some research.... Those big shot, in some banks are the business drivers..... Though it seems like they don't do any when you walk into their office. But alot is in their head. I know of a senior manager who is a branch head of a new generation bank. He has a personal target of 100mil monthly and a branch target of 200mil.... He has to achieve that in other to solidify his stay in the bank. It's not all that easy for them. Believe me, if you are a junior staff and you introduce a good business to the bank, no body will want to terminate your job, that's if you were not promoted.... Truth be told, the bank spends a whole lot of money on the senior managers, but they pay back in one way or the other.
Thanks for this. I don't know how people believe that banks just feel like throwing money away. The things those guys have to do to bring in business to the bank you'd be surprised. Was it not one that was kneeling down before Fayose?
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by 2n2k(m): 8:09am On Sep 16, 2016
wheredemdey:
Myopic Nigerian

You are comparing a GM or ED that the bank have invested alot... Do you know the amount of investment a company invests in a GM?.... Trainings abroad... Vast knowledge of banks products.... Networking contacts etc... And you dare compare them to a mere hnd/ond holder....you invest millions on an individual and sack him and?? You are not a serious person walahi

Moreover how many GM are in a bank set?... Max of 11...those guys have paid their dues

Those 'mere hnd/ond holders' don't wreck banks; GMs and EDs do.

If the bank have invested a lot on them, why can't they reciprocate instead of making wrong judgement, taking uncalculated risk and practicing bad corporate governance and credits origination and administration that put the bank in dire strait. Those are the ones the Board should fire first not the rank and file.

Retaining those top management while retrenching minions means the situation will not be remedied and the cycle continues e.g. Unity Bank.
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by XX01(f): 8:11am On Sep 16, 2016
Ecobank sacked top management staff. Sacked AGMs, GMs, SMs. If you are not productive then you have to go.

I remember when I worked in a bank and sat in on some of these performance appraisals. You will see people that have worked for years without promotion because they were not meeting targets. Some don't even bring in their total cost at the year end. Should they still be kept? When they are sacked, they will start to say that they worked for years and were terminated just like that. Have you ever heard anyone that said they were sacked for being unproductive?
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by wheredemdey: 8:24am On Sep 16, 2016
2n2k:

Those 'mere hnd/ond holders' don't wreck banks; GMs and EDs do.

If the bank have invested a lot on them, why can't they reciprocate instead of making wrong judgement, taking uncalculated risk and practicing bad corporate governance and credits origination and administration that put the bank in dire strait. Those are the ones the Board should fire first not the rank and file.

Retaining those top management while retrenching minions means the situation will not be remedied and the cycle continues e.g. Unity Bank.

Valid points..... But technology have made some of those low cadre staff redundant.

Suntrust bank recently opened up and they have no need for so many low staff... They are strictly technology driven.
The low level cashier, tellers and others in branches are being phased out...
Moreover banks invest alot on top management staff... I know the kind of training my boss have gone for including Harvard leadership training course... Lagos business school training... Etc... Nobody throws away such staff after spending so much... It's not possible... Infact my bank gets you to sign an agreement before embarking on such courses....

Life is not fair man... We just have to deal with it...
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by hardbody: 8:28am On Sep 16, 2016
eph12:

You work in a bank?

I was referring to the general perception that senior level staff don't do much in organisations. That's wrong. The amount of paper work they deal with in a week is high. Planning, budgeting, administrating among others. You don't know until you get to that position.

My brother you have to be in Management to understand what being executive management entails. Thank you for that input. Without an effective management team, the millions of junior staff would not even have a clue of how to manage their day to day job function let alone knowing articulating and deploying to the strategic direction of the company.

Junior staff work is mostly routine and directed, at the management level it strategic and supervisory.

1 Like

Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by hardbody: 8:30am On Sep 16, 2016
XX01:
Ecobank sacked top management staff. Sacked AGMs, GMs, SMs. If you are not productive then you have to go.

I remember when I worked in a bank and sat in on some of these performance appraisals. You will see people that have worked for years without promotion because they were not meeting targets. Some don't even bring in their total cost at the year end. Should they still be kept? When they are sacked, they will start to say that they worked for years and were terminated just like that. Have you ever heard anyone that said they were sacked for being unproductive?

Thumbs up.well said
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by bigiyaro(m): 8:36am On Sep 16, 2016
The lower ur value the dispensable u r.
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by uwagimboo: 9:04am On Sep 16, 2016
wheredemdey:

That you worked with a lazy docile unproductive AM is no guarantee for you to classify all senior guys as lazy

I worked with a GM.. And the earliest we close was 11pm... So many deadlines... So many reports... So many performance meetings... Mpr with top management... See there is no GM and above that closes later than 10pm daily.... Moreover the bank always invest heavily on them... Trainings... Courses.. Retreats etc..... ...stop saying what you don't know.

You want to compare a GM and an ond/hnd staff that all he does is use finacle to count and post money... When they hardly use their brain and never develope theirselves academically after getting the job

That u worked with a workaholic GM does not make every GM workaholic...

Secondly, the thread never referred to GM's but Ogas at the top..

Have u asked ursef why is it that HQ has more "oga's at the top" than the branches that do the work

I don't dispute that there are Oga's at the top that re workaholic but most re over hyped nd really don't do much..

I know a GM who started his sallah break on Thursday last week while others were in office nd this same GM is fond of sleeping on duty, he leaves office late aswell...
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by olu4life(m): 9:15am On Sep 16, 2016
Not all banks. For example, First Bank sacked mostly top Managerial Post few months back. With the statement their positions are irrelevant and their pay was huge which they cant keep up with.

Source? From a close insider. So say what you know and stop generalizing
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by eph12(m): 9:32am On Sep 16, 2016
hardbody:

My brother you have to be in Management to understand what being executive management entails. Thank you for that input. Without an effective management team, the millions of junior staff would not even have a clue of how to manage their day to day job function let alone knowing articulating and deploying to the strategic direction of the company.

Junior staff work is mostly routine and directed, at the management level it strategic and supervisory.
Very true. Most junior staff just believe they are doing all the work. I hope they get promoted soon so they know that human management is the hardest aspect of an organisation.
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by ODAVI(m): 10:43am On Sep 16, 2016
alabiman:
I read with amazement the story of downsizing/retrenchment of unity Bank staff yesterday. While it is true that the economy is in comatose. I keep wondering why is it the hard working lower cadre of staff that have to be sacrifice and suffer for the sin they never commited?
In all the banks downsizing exercise that we have witnessed so far,why is it that no staff in GM cadre or principal officers is being affected?
Are we saying that these category of bank's staff are immuned to downsizing. It is a fact that the major cost of any bank are on these category of staff. Imagine a GM earning as much as 3-4m per month apart from other fringe benefits.In some banks, a GM salary can comfortably pay a whole branch staff salary.
I used to know of a bank ED that all she does was to share joke a joke on mail to all staff everyday

But the bank ED is no more in the system abi....

wat bank is that, i can guess probably.
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by akreest(m): 11:39am On Sep 16, 2016
This is how it works!

Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by Nobody: 12:36pm On Sep 16, 2016
eph12:

Banks or Senior managers generally?
Senior managers generally.
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by NotGej: 1:39pm On Sep 16, 2016
Rich4god:

A branch head with branch target of 200 million only? That must be a micro finance bank?

1 Like

Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by eph12(m): 3:06pm On Sep 16, 2016
blueseacats:
Senior managers generally.
That's a very wrong assumption bro. Very wrong. I worked in a management capacity in a company before I resigned to handle my own business. I am telling you it can be brain draining. You have a target to meet, on a budget and at the same time looking out for competitors. You plan and if your plan goes wrong halfway you redesign it just so you stay ahead of your competition and don't lose customers. You feel they just sit down in front of the computer doing nothing right? Lol
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by Rich4god(m): 3:40pm On Sep 16, 2016
NotGej:

A branch head with branch target of 200 million only? That must be a micro finance bank?
So, U don't knw dat most of the senior managers target are scaled in profit and not in value.....

His branch is in a very good location in Lagos.... So, d branch makes more than that on monthly basis.

1 Like

Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by weedfada(m): 3:47pm On Sep 16, 2016
NotGej:

My brother I shouted when I saw that... That was a youth corps' target in my branch then. The fact is most guys at the top have paid their dues, rising through the ranks and if you say they are flexing now, oh well, "most" of them earned it.
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by LawrenceUMS: 5:03pm On Sep 16, 2016
See The Features Available at our Alagomeji, Yaba training center

This location for our training courses was chosen to take advantage of the strategic convergence that the mainland metropolis offers

At UMS training Hub, Yaba Center, this is where you will receive accelerated training in a safe environment following a time-proven procedure in order to provide the very best training experience and it’s a few minutes’ drive to the prestigious University Of Lagos, Ozone E-center and offers easy access when coming from Island through the 3rd Mainland bridge enroute other parts of Lagos

• Located at the core of Lagos Mainland Metropolis
• Easily accessible from Island, Ikeja, Maryland, Yaba
• Adequate seating for trainees.
• Small-sized training classes of between 6 - 15
• Adequate desk/table space for equipment and computers.
• Ample electrical outlets near each table for computers, arranged to provide a safe training environment.
• Internet connection for all trainees and instructor is required for the duration of the training.
• Room with adequate lighting/acoustics.
• Projector and white board/flip chart.
• Fully Air-conditioned training facility
• Prior to the training classes, we collate all those who will be attending.
• Structured time-table for trainees
• Professional Instructors
• 24/7 Power supply training center facility

We offer 100% practical training in WEB DESIGN & DEVELOPMENT, MOBILE APP DEVELOPMENT, WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT (JAVA, PHP, PYTHON, LARAVEL, JAVASCRIPT, ETC), VIDEO EDITING, 3D ANIMATIONS, MOTION GRAPHICS, PHOTOGRAPHY, DIGITAL MEDIA MARKETING)

Register Online www.umstraining.xyz or Come in person or call – We’re open Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pmpm (weekend training coming soon at our Yaba Training center)

UMS Training Center | 07034711141, BBM 7AF02B2D | Email: Yabacenter@umstraining.xyz | Website: www.umstraining.xyz
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by Cromagnon: 6:32pm On Aug 22, 2022
alabiman:
In true sense.banks businesses are being driven by the lower cadre (branch managers downword). The bankers here will understand what i mean.
There should be a legislation in place that should make it mandatory that any downsizing in banks should cut across board.
if they're so important why don't they leave and go and form their own bank? Higher ups responsible for most productivity that's why they get paid the big bucks
Re: Job Loss In Banks:why Only Lower Level Staff by dark404(m): 5:41pm On Aug 23, 2022
alabiman:
I read with amazement the story of downsizing/retrenchment of unity Bank staff yesterday. While it is true that the economy is in comatose. I keep wondering why is it the hard working lower cadre of staff that have to be sacrifice and suffer for the sin they never commited?
In all the banks downsizing exercise that we have witnessed so far,why is it that no staff in GM cadre or principal officers is being affected?
Are we saying that these category of bank's staff are immuned to downsizing. It is a fact that the major cost of any bank are on these category of staff. Imagine a GM earning as much as 3-4m per month apart from other fringe benefits.In some banks, a GM salary can comfortably pay a whole branch staff salary.
I used to know of a bank ED that all she does was to share joke a joke on mail to all staff everyday
do you work in bank?

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are Your Experience Working With Indian Managers / I'm Working At NNPC But Not Being Paid / Tribalism In Nigerian Banks' Employment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.