Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,190 members, 7,780,315 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:15 PM

The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos (26812 Views)

From Benin To Italy: Detailed Journey Of HustlingGirls Traveling To Italy(video) / Lagos Slum Where Residents Live With Snakes, Crocodiles (photos) / Inside Makoko: Danger And Ingenuity In The World's Biggest Floating Slum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by richidinho(m): 10:44am On Sep 16, 2016
Ok
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by imohchard(m): 10:45am On Sep 16, 2016
My beloved bariga
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 16, 2016
Hmmmmmm..... The govt should help clean out that place pls
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by Nobody: 10:50am On Sep 16, 2016
Seriously ? This kind of place exist in Nigeria ?
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by sekundosekundo: 10:50am On Sep 16, 2016
I think Oba Akiolu should send the Uganda developers to this place.

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by wittyt98(m): 10:50am On Sep 16, 2016
wow this is cool.. I wish to visit that place too Nd see everything I've heard about that place with own eyes
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by 9jatatafo(m): 10:54am On Sep 16, 2016
wroskian:
Deturla, this is great. Keep on with the good work. smiley grin

I'm always surprised whenever I read of communities like this and learn that they barely experience disease outbreaks. I think there should be a scientific explanation to this. Probably the people have developed a kind of immunity against the likes of cholera and typhoid or something

People living in these areas have very strong immune system and strong adaptive character. I
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by nerodenero: 10:55am On Sep 16, 2016
mmsen:
OP is an irresponsible slowpoke for this entire episode.

One of the most foolish posts that I've seen on this forum and there have been a lot of them.

My question now is - why is this on the front page?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by symbianDON(m): 11:06am On Sep 16, 2016
symbianDON:
@op this is soooo amazing!! your pictures are woooow!!! keep up with your good works....I pray God rewards you. if we could all contribute our little quota of helping hands, communities like this would be better places to live in.
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by Nobody: 11:14am On Sep 16, 2016
kenya motor cycle taxi riders formed a SACCO ,bought land then houses,now they live own estate .every rider was supposed to save Ksh100 that's Naira 312.01,nobody is going up lift our lives except we ourselves

How boda bodas rode on police crackdowns to build own estate

200 members would contribute Sh100 per day, enabling the Sacco to bank Sh20,000 daily, Mwai says.

“After our contributions had grown to about Sh600,000, we formed Kitemoto Sacco with the help of the district officer in Isinya. We started loaning Sh80,000 to our members who used rented motorcycles, to buy their own, at an interest of Sh10,000, in 2010.

“The Sacco also paid for members’ driving or motorcycle riding courses and licences. Others would get loans to pay fees, rent and other expenses. Thus, all members of Kitemoto Sacco became self-reliant,” says Mwai.

“But, after a while, we noticed that most members were asking for loans to pay rent rather than to develop themselves financially, and some of the members floated the idea of investing in housing. Some members agreed with the idea but others rubbished it as a pyramid scheme that would fleece them of their savings, and so about 100 of them left.”

AFFORDABLE HOMES
Josephat Gathaga, the group’s secretary, chips in: “We were set on achieving our goals, and so even with 100 members leaving, we were determined to continue. We were inspired by the thought that our savings and what we paid in rent would be channelled towards paying for our very own beautiful yet affordable homes.”

Chairman Mwai says that they identified a five-acre piece of land in Kitengela for the project and started approaching banks to finance them.

“Most showed no interest in financing us, until we knocked on the doors of the National Cooperative Housing Union (Nachu), nine months after the idea was mooted.”

But Nachu told them that their group had to have a membership of at least 100 to qualify for a loan.

With the exodus of the 100 members earlier and about 50 others in the nine months, Kitemoto Sacco had a membership of far much less than the threshold Nachu required, and so they approached other small business owners such as vegetable vendors, charcoal sellers, jua kali artisans, salon owners, and construction workers to fill the deficit.

Apart from financing the project, Nachu also facilitated seminars, where, Mwai says, they learnt “how to develop strategic plans, keep records, and save”.

PROUD INVESTORS

On October 25, 2012, a small group of like-minded, ordinary Kenyans gathered at a farm in Kitengela to witness the ground-breaking ceremony of the five-acre piece of land that Kitemoto had bought for Sh3 million.

Earlier in the morning, a convoy of motorcycles had snaked its way through the streets of Kitengela, horns blaring and women ululating, on their way to the site.

A few days later, the sacco was already huffing and puffing on the road towards providing decent but affordable housing to the motorcyclists, mama mbogas, jua kali artisans, construction workers, tailors and other small business entrepreneurs, who constitute the biggest percentage of low-income earners in Kenya.

The home to these proud investors is 13 kilometres from Kitengela town, and just about 800 metres from the road to Kajiado.

Today, about 100 members of the sacco live comfortably in their little starter homes that come complete with a living room-cum bedroom, a kitchen, a bathroom, and some space at the back where owners are allowed to expand their homes to a maximum of three more rooms using their own means, says Mwai.

The sacco loan for the land and starter home on which the houses stand costs Sh450,000 for each member, on a flat interest rate of 14 per cent on a reducing balance for seven years.

“We have also been able to construct an additional 24 houses, which we have christened ‘commercial’ because they are for sale to non-members. The three-bedroom units are tiled, fitted with sinks and taps, have work tops, are painted and furnished with cabinets and wardrobes, and are selling at Sh4.7 million,” Mwai adds.

read more http://www.nation.co.ke/lifestyle/DN2/Boda-boda-riders-who-built-own-estate/957860-2528418-yuameq/index.html

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by MissyB3(f): 11:17am On Sep 16, 2016
Great idea. . . Exactly my photography genre.
Good photos that can get a whole lot better. Do more learning to improve your photography/post-processing skills smiley
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by codemaniacs: 11:18am On Sep 16, 2016
deturla:
Brief on Ilaje Community

Ilaje is a sprawling slum located along the Bariga axis in Lagos, situated by the Lagoon. As you move closer to the settlement , you would immediately begin to see wooden houses constructed on that brackish water of Lagos lagoon. You would also notice an environment so dirty that you would think it’s not fit for anyone to reside. But then, people live here even happily. As you move into the community, you would begin to see both the young and old wander about, some aimlessly, and some with intentions, work or business as the case is.

Those are illegal settlements and they should be demolished and the people should be relocated to a better environment they can afford to live in.. Its not fit for anyone to be living there..

the only reason that place is still standing is because most Nigerians are sentimental...
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by IbBarham(m): 11:19am On Sep 16, 2016
The people are leaving there and barely sick God is Great...

1 Like

Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by jashar(f): 11:20am On Sep 16, 2016
I rep my hood cool

Born and Brought up in Ilaje Bariga.
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by MadCow1: 11:22am On Sep 16, 2016
kilokeys:
painful truth ... but the world has to see this too..

poverty is not a death sentence... below are pictures of the bajau tribe off the malaysian coast.. they are poor, live on water.. but my pple.. their waters arent polluted.. geez whats wrong with us in africa

Africans seem to have a penchant for doing the wrong things all the time without thinking of the recourse..

The dirt in that slum was generated and deposited there by the dwellers..

They could easily band together and restructure their community within certain limits but NO!!! Its easier to scream Government. Forgetting that the Government would simply eject them all from there because they are most likely illegals.

They take shiits straight into that water.

Throw their domestic wastes straight into that water.

Bath water flows straight into that water.

Probably also get parts of their food from that water as well and earn a living from that water too..

Their Kids swim in that water obviously..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by swazee: 11:24am On Sep 16, 2016
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by franzis(m): 11:26am On Sep 16, 2016
If you ever grew up or lived in the slum/ghetto... there is no way you become successful and not want to help atleast one or two people out... I am never ashamed to say I am a product of the ghetto/street

3 Likes

Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by Misterdhee1(m): 11:30am On Sep 16, 2016
I visited a place recently in lagos. Jakande or so? I was just amazed about the living conditions of the inhabitants. Water and dirts all over..The most amazing thing was that they seem to be really comfortable with the deplorable condition..It was a ridiculous experience
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by poweredcom(m): 11:33am On Sep 16, 2016
lagos is a total slum

infact everywhere is fastly becoming a slum.......high population
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by sportman117: 11:34am On Sep 16, 2016
That is Naija for you,suffering and smiling. Naijabet man say so
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by CHYMZZY(m): 11:40am On Sep 16, 2016
Thanks for this insight, poverty is not a dead sentence, people living in it will still rise above it..
There are so many slump and poverty striken area yet be uncovered in Nigeria..
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 16, 2016
mmsen:

One of the most foolish posts that I've seen on this forum and there have been a lot of them.

Anti-Progress crew spotted, what's wrong with the post? Isn't it proper to create awareness that these sort of inhumane habitats exists among us? These are the kinds of people that harden the suffering of the less privileged when in power. Shame on you, Castrated Calabar bull dog.

4 Likes

Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by delishpot: 11:43am On Sep 16, 2016
The people need to be responsible for the cleanliness of their environment. On the other hand, the water also needs to be protected from outside pollutants too.
Environmental sanitation is still a long way from the reach of Nigerians.
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by Ebullient07: 11:45am On Sep 16, 2016
Why won't I thank God for me nd mine? Ther's poverty in d land, level lo yato. Pray help comes their way
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by Abydehme(m): 11:52am On Sep 16, 2016
I Know Ilaje very well the place I grew up in bariga it's very close to Ilaje..... this thing it's getting worse by the day it wasn't like this in the late 90s and early 2000. The government does not care about that place, it's the people of the community that takes care of the place and come to think of it during the Election period they do come there to Campaign. God. Bless you brother, more Grease to your elbow
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by iamphill: 11:54am On Sep 16, 2016
sometimes you just have to Thank God and bless him for his mercies over your life and your family and look for a way to reach out to the less privileged ones amongst us. God help us all. AMEN
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by sharpman1(m): 12:00pm On Sep 16, 2016
mmsen:

YOU are the irresponsible slowpoke.

What is wrong with the post?

5 Likes

Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by Onegai(f): 12:09pm On Sep 16, 2016
MadCow1:

Africans seem to have a penchant for doing the wrong things all the time without thinking of the recourse..

The dirt in that slum was generated and deposited there by the dwellers..

They could easily band together and restructure their community within certain limits but NO!!! Its easier to scream Government. Forgetting that the Government would simply eject them all from there because they are most likely illegals.

They take shiits straight into that water.

Throw their domestic wastes straight into that water.

Bath water flows straight into that water.

Probably also get parts of their food from that water as well and earn a living from that water too..

Their Kids swim in that water obviously..

Deturla, this above is the truth. There are a few NGOs that do cleaning but the residents will have to turn out in large numbers to support the effort and keep it clean permanently. We cannot keep going to help people who refuse to help themselves. However, there are a lot of NGOs in Nigeria that are all about collecting money. So they go to Ilaje to do a photo-op.
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by emsco(m): 12:28pm On Sep 16, 2016
Nice one. Can i be part ot your crew for any project. I do well with handling of DSLR video camera.
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by Henrydone: 12:56pm On Sep 16, 2016
Majority of ur photos are from makoko area of snake island this place almost have equivalent level with the sea making it dangerous to live in.
Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by Jokerman(m): 12:56pm On Sep 16, 2016
And this same people will be hailing thieves and looters like Tinubu, Kashamu, Bode George etc that have stolen their resources and kept dem with myths of opportunity. ..

OP, good work sir, may the good Lord increase you as u voyaged unto this people... I feel blessed scrolling through. ...

2 Likes

Re: The Journey Of A Photoblogger Into The Slum Of Ilaje-Bariga Lagos by uyplus(m): 1:00pm On Sep 16, 2016
deturla:
1. Some people make money from this recession and keep it for their future unborn generation - Selfish!!

2. Some people do not make enough and so are limited within their means - Wishes are horses

3. Some people dream of making enough to help others - Maybe you?

4. Some people barely make enough yet try as much as possible to assist based on their capabilities - Maybe you too!

Whichever category you fall into. The pictures below is an attempt to sing the song of those who fall in the second category. They are limited within their means, and so, they can only 'wish' to have enough to cater for the basic means of life.

This photoBlogger embarked on a journey into the places where these people make domain, in order to portray how they live their lives. He uses the instrument he has, 'The Camera' to beam light on these places, so the world can see, what really these guys are going through.

This is the timelines of one of his trips into the slum of Ilaje, Bariga..Lagos State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt3SKRxCl_Y

Yet a former first lady was alleged to have demanded for refund of $15m which she claims is her hard earned money and is intended for payment of medical bills. That money can transform the lives of thousands of persons living in this shantie!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

African City Skyline Pictures / Eid-el-kabir: Car Crashes Into Prayer Ground In Ogun, 2 Killed, Many Injured / The Disgraceful State Of Roads In GRA, Benin-City (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.