Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,380 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? (3751 Views)

Poll: Do You Support This Idea?

Yes: 72% (37 votes)
No: 27% (14 votes)
This poll has ended

JUNE 12: Two-party System Is The Best For Nigeria. Do You Agree? / Multi-party System In Nigeria? What's your View / Unoffical One Party System In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by Mbeki: 5:10pm On Oct 09, 2009
The Senate Committee on the Review of the 1999 Constitution resumes a retreat today in ASA Pyramid Hotels in Kaduna.
After the presentation of His Lordship retired Justice Mohammed Uwais on the Topic, Electoral Reform in Nigeria, Senator Maeba Lee (PDP) Representing Rivers South East advocates that a two party system should be entered into law. He states that the only credible election the nation has ever heard was during the SDP and NRC days under option A4. Most senators supported his advocacy,
what is your take on  this?
Senator Lee also wants the constitution to remove the clause that restrict people's movement during election as the same constitution gave the people  freedom of movement.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by citizenY(m): 7:06pm On Oct 09, 2009
Before talking of parties the issues to be addressed:-

-the suitability of this Presidential system
-the nature of this unitary system of government operating today
-the virtually dormant local governments

Thereafter you can talk about the parties. In my opinion, they want to
gloss over these vital issues again and leave us in the middle of nowhere.

Any decision taken on the above matters will determine party structure
and powers of the local and state governments and of course the number of
parties . You could have local/regional parties and coalitions at both state and
federal levels or parties cutting across regional divides in support of various
interests like labour.

For me, the presidential system should be avoided as it is not only costly
but it also gives this winner takes all mentality that makes the center(ABUJA)
the center of all things when it is supposed to be the other way. Make ABUJA
unattractive and you will reduce corruption and this do or die politics.

It is this same mentality that has produced this lame duck parliament that
discusses the budget and goes to sleep, leaving vital issues that do not affect
their pockets like the fundamentals of the economic and social development
of our society to theback burner.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by Mbeki: 10:07am On Oct 10, 2009
The way they are going, I doubt if they are even serious about amending the constitution as most of the recommendations of the ERC (Electoral Reform Committee) if implemented will not be in their favour. Just Imagine Sen. Folashade Grace Bent, suggesting that Tenure of office should be as long as the legislators can win election as change in legislators every second term is responsible for lack of continuity of policy.
Those that make sense?
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by naso2(m): 10:42am On Oct 10, 2009
Well the general outlook of the SDP ,NRC elections was the best we ever had, however that was just during the elections. The post-election era was so short-lived that the inherent self-serving tendencies of the average Nigerian poltician had not started blossoming

What I simply mean is :

1. How sure are we that the ruling party(may be SDP) would not have embarked on measures to slice the opposition to the minutest size in a bid to perpetuate certain elements in power?

2. How sure are we that politicians in the opposition would not have gravitated enmasse to the ruling party in a bid to quench the thirst for lucre.

We all know that one of the biggest problems of our democracy is the lack of credible,sustainable alternatives.

Some however argue that constraining political ideology into just two strands like the SDP and NRC, had long term damning effect on the nation, since it was only a matter of time before people started seeing that the parties were not fundamentally different afterall.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 10:46am On Oct 10, 2009
I think a two party system will be better for Nigeria. . . .
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by Mbeki: 10:51am On Oct 10, 2009
Speaker of the Sokoto House of Assemble said that the two party system will cre tribalism ate tribalism, as sooner or later, they'll be hijacked by Ethic sentiments. He advocates for minimum of 5 political parties and maximum of 7.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by Seun(m): 1:20pm On Oct 10, 2009
A two party system is something that naturally arises in most multi-party democracies due to political consolidation; it's not something that should be enforced by a decree.  A two party system where the parties are chosen by the government is essentially a dictatorship. 

I mean think about it, it's stupid! If the two parties are corrupt, then there will be no recourse for the common man. That means if a president wants to control Nigeria in perpetuity, all he has to do is appoint his friends as the chairmen of the two parties and then they can do whatever they like forever and ever. Whereas in a multiparty system dominated by two parties, they have to keep fighting for votes to retain their position. That makes them less corrupt.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by crownEE: 1:31pm On Oct 10, 2009
This issue of multiple party is not really helping this nation. I strongly believe that A 2 party system is the best for Nigeria democracy. the 2 party system will help in unifying the nation. i think it should start fron now.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by MUNEER2(m): 1:41pm On Oct 10, 2009
What difference would it make if we embrace two party system,  since people like Ibori, Kalu, Obasanjo and others still lives

I can guarantee it would be more of nothing than a failure undecided undecided undecided
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by Seun(m): 1:49pm On Oct 10, 2009
If we have only two parties in Nigeria, those parties are going to be extremely corrupt and no one will be able to do anything about it. Can you name one successful democracy with a forced two party system? When you take away competition, you are asking for complacency and corruption.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by gamechange(m): 2:34pm On Oct 10, 2009
Irrespective of what party system we practice, all Nigeria needs are leaders who love their people and have the fear of God. That is the key to our existence as a nation otherwise it is only a matter of time, Yugoslavia and Russia eventually split.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by pak: 2:49pm On Oct 10, 2009
Seun:

A two party system is something that naturally arises in most multi-party democracies due to political consolidation; it's not something that should be enforced by a decree.  A two party system where the parties are chosen by the government is essentially a dictatorship. 

I mean think about it, it's stupid! If the two parties are corrupt, then there will be no recourse for the common man. That means if a president wants to control Nigeria in perpetuity, all he has to do is appoint his friends as the chairmen of the two parties and then they can do whatever they like forever and ever. Whereas in a multiparty system dominated by two parties, they have to keep fighting for votes to retain their position. That makes them less corrupt.

I know you always make sensible post but never earned my respect due to your atheism, check Psalm 14 v 1.
With today's post, you actually took things to a new level, probably the most intelligent item I've seen in Nairaland in a long while.
Very convincing argument.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by toosoon(m): 2:50pm On Oct 10, 2009
I support 2 party system, but i doubt if god of politics OBJ will accept it.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 3:31pm On Oct 10, 2009
2 party system will be good for nigeria, but like someone said above, there are so many things that has to change and be looked at.
The local govt is being givn money every month and yet they seems to have no effect, they seems to be doing nothing than to just sit and pay the staffs, so how can they be accountable, pls, note that i know that even with 100 party systems, the problem can still be there and it is not the 2-party system that will fix this, but will be nice, if they can look at this too while they are looking at what will work for the nation.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by AfroCynic: 3:40pm On Oct 10, 2009
A two party system will be disastrous. Think about it, can anyone name the ideology that underpins PDP, AC, ANPP or APGA? The only one I can think of is 'share de money quick quick'.

At least in the two party system we so admire, the know, at least theoretically, what each party stands for. I think, as usual, the ordinary Nigerian will suffer. It'll leave us with no choice and we all already the politicians have no problems crossing carpet if the likely outcome does not suit them, so it'll be the same people we'd end up voting for, regardless of the banner the campaign under.

As an aside, are they inviting everyday folks to witness this whole process?
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by WarfyBoy(m): 4:37pm On Oct 10, 2009
wether 1 party or 2, even 3 or 100 self if God no kom for our rescue, we are just wasting our damn time

the solution to the situation of NIGERIA is beyond human knowledge
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by bawomolo(m): 5:33pm On Oct 10, 2009
would independents and outliers such as the green party and libertarian party be allowed to exist in a 2 party democracy?

I don't like this idea.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by 9ja4eva: 5:34pm On Oct 10, 2009
No, i dont support it.

Like someone said if the 2 parties are corrupt we are doomed.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by baekdoosan(m): 5:48pm On Oct 10, 2009
yes I do. It is a more organized political system, cheaper, and easier to maintain.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by slimes(m): 8:03pm On Oct 10, 2009
Ha! two parties would just make it easier to hold on to power and also to rig. Dictatorship is the end result.
Democracy entails freedom in government and multiple choices of those who intend to govern.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by skfa1: 8:43pm On Oct 10, 2009
Ok guys let list the advantages and disadvantages pls, that will shine more light into this topic.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by sley4life(m): 9:32pm On Oct 10, 2009
2 party system is the best. PDP Vs Others
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by globatop: 9:57pm On Oct 10, 2009
Whatever the number of party, if the mindset of Nigerians are not changed, no positive result could come out of the project called Nigeria. A 2 party system could be ok if the opposition will remain a strong, formidable and objective opposition like the UPN in the 1979-1983 regime.

This set of politicians will never remain in opposition, rather they will either cross carpet or compromise their stand for a piece of National cake. e.g Gbenga Daniel will never have been a governor if he had remained with the progressives.

This idea called Nigeria has over stayed its welcome, the agreement of amalgamation of 1914 gave a clause to disintegrate if it does not work after 30yrs. Is it really working, lets go back to our regions or make all state autonomous.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by sley4life(m): 10:29pm On Oct 10, 2009
But we must exclude ethnic brawl if 2 party system is to succeed in nigeria.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by Ikengawo: 12:37am On Oct 11, 2009
ethnic brawl is fine if channeled correctly

i think a 2 party system is exactly what nigeria needs

and parties based on ideas and not cronies,

1 unitary party
and 1 federalism party

pdp is already a unitary party and therefore the alternative has to be one that advocates federalism

on the ethnic note, hausa's seem to be more inclined towards a unitary gov. It benefits them cause they need resources from other places and thus federalism would Bleep them up (so they think) and if they can control a unitary gov they'll be competitive and relevant

for everyone else but a lesser degree yorubas, federalism is needed for them to keep their resources and remain competitive

i think that if our politics reflected this dynamic in a civil manner, the way the US reflects the rich v poor black v white dynamic with the dem. v republicans system, we can have a more functional competition based on ideas and not cronies and connections
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by becomrich15: 1:01am On Oct 11, 2009
remove the yorubas, edo , delta and bayelsa state into benin republic. multiple party is the best. 2 party would end in a one party state. they would bribe the other party.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by semid4lyfe(m): 5:41am On Oct 11, 2009
I sort of agree with the Sokoto state House of asembly speaker. Multi party system democracy is best for Nigeria but at the same time the number of parties should be limited to a manageable number for organisational reasons. Many of the current political parties just exist in name and are there just to collect political party grant from INEC.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by WarriBoyz: 8:43am On Oct 11, 2009

remove the yorubas, edo , delta and bayelsa state into benin republic. multiple party is the best. 2 party would end in a one party state. they would bribe the other party.

This thread would not complete without becomerich. Haba na one track mind u get o!

On topic, how can you legislate a two party system? Nowhere in the world has that ever been done. Are you going to define their ideology or their goals? Their political structure and membership? What a disaster that would be. The two party system in USA is failing, just look at them in an ideological headlock. They can no longer compromise on even the simplest of issues - it is pure us vs them.

I like parliamentary form of government for 9ja. It matches our multicultural background. I believe state govt's need more power to legislate and organize their own resources, as long as allotment is made back to other states according to guidelines set forth in the constitution. Just look what Fashola is doing in Lagos.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by Oluschenco(m): 9:20am On Oct 11, 2009
A 2-party system is best for a populous country like ours, it will reduce election rigging, once the majority is at the right the side, it will be difficult for Iwu and his likes to bring votes from no where.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by IFELEKE(m): 12:48pm On Oct 11, 2009
Topic,
What we need in Nigeria is parties with firm political structure ,clearly defined views and stand not group of political prostitutes(which is what we presently have on ground).
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by naijaking1: 12:53pm On Oct 11, 2009
2 party system would end up as christian vs muslim parties. Muslim leaders wouldn't like that, because it would show their numerical inferiority.
Re: Do You Support A 2 Party System For Nigeria? by nduchucks: 1:13pm On Oct 11, 2009
naijaking1:

2 party system would end up as christian vs muslim parties. Muslim leaders wouldn't like that, because it would show their numerical inferiority.

why you like to discredit yaself with dishonest disinformation na? ya analysis and conclusion dey completely wrong as usual. even illiterates know say for southwest, muslims plenty pass christians and we know say de north na overwhelmingly muslims. so how you take reach ya own conclusion?

my conclusion be say, you dey politically uncivilized. ya own savvy na to dey support the elite group wey you belong to.

make you tanda for london or germany dey comment about possible political makeup of nigeria instead make you sef come run for office. many of una no get clue as to how government dey run for nigeria at all, una dey quite naive.

(1) (2) (Reply)

America Invades Haiti Because Haiti Has Oil ,Gold & Iridium / Ok / Nairaland Politics Section Hall Of Fame/Shame

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.