Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,483 members, 7,808,756 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. (10831 Views)

Conclusion : Atheism Is So Illogical , The Atheist Delusion / From Atheism To Jesus: My Testimony / The Testimony Of Renowned Muslim Convert Nabeel Qureshi (david Woods Convert) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 7:46pm On Sep 15, 2016
The testimony of Nick Watts. Nick is the Music Minister at Bacon Heights Baptist Church in Lubbock.

I tried to disprove the existence of God, immediately after finding my 19-year-old son dead in his bedroom from suicide.

I looked at the most recent, most compelling evidence to make God sound like a ludicrous alternative. I looked at the best arguments from the best atheists, both in modern and
historical times. You must understand that I wanted desperately to know, in those first 48 hours after finding my son, that there was no God. God’s non-existence would have been made more sense to me than “a loving God who would allow my son to suffer so much from clinical depression that he would take his life.”

But atheism failed me. The words of the best, most intelligent atheists rang hollow. Their rebuttals and refutations against the existence of God were, in my opinion, incomplete, short-sighted, and at times, ludicrous. While the atheists scream loudly trying to speak for their evidence, the theists, in my opinion, simply step back and allow the evidence to speak for itself. For the arguments of theists were akin to the familiar statement: “You don’t need to defend a lion; you simply open the cage and allow him to defend himself.”

In the end of my investigation for a God-less universe, I found myself like Peter in John 6. (I tend to so resonate with Peter – impetuous, speaks before he thinks, reckless at times, etc., but always passionate.) By chapter 6 of John’s gospel account, Jesus has fed the thousands, healed the sick, and cast out demons. But now, he’s teaching the crowd what following him really means. The response is heartbreaking.
For most of them, it turns out, had no interest in following Jesus. They wanted the sizzle, but not the substance; the blessing, but not the commitment. In the words of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, they wanted grace that was “cheap” rather than “costly.” In short, they wanted an “A” in the course without
doing the homework. And, in verse 66, John records, “It was at this time many of those who followed Jesus turned away and deserted him.” Jesus then turned to the twelve and asked, “Are you going to leave me too?” Peter replied, “Lord, where else would we go? You have the words of eternal life.”

After trying as hard as I could to prove God was a fairy-tale, I found myself repeating those exact words stated by Peter, 20
centuries ago. Can I prove the existence of God in a laboratory? No. Frankly, I don’t want a God I can explain – the Incarnation, the Trinity, etc., are all inexplicable. A God
we can explain would be … well, more like a man than God; at best, a super-hero. But what I was reminded of following my son’s death was this: The evidence for the existence of a transcendent, outside-the-laws-of-physics, “wholly other” (as Soren Kierkagaard described him) is not merely
compelling, it’s overwhelming.

I cannot overstate how I felt in the moments immediately following finding my dead son: I Hated God. But, God – who we see in the person of Jesus Christ – held me. Even as
I fought to run away, he wouldn’t let go. The same love that drove Christ to the cross drove him to love me deeply, holding me tenderly in his arms. He was patient with me, allowing me time to scream at him, accuse him, and even hate him (all of these emotions, by the way, are found in the imprecatory psalms in our Bible).

Despite the best I could hurl at God, he never left me. Ever. He nursed me back to psychological and emotional health. And, in those early hours, when I began to investigate whether I had been wrong all my life about him, He didn’t punish me – he loved me. In the darkest moment of my life,
Jesus whispered to me, “I Am Here. I’ve got this. Trust Me.” I do, my King. Where else would I go? You have the words of eternal life.

To those of you trying to figure out life’s pain, know this: God is faithful; his Word is true. “He is close to the broken-hearted, and he saves those who are crushed in spirit” — Ps. 34:18; Jesus did exist, lived a sinless life, and died on a Roman cross. The tomb is still empty. And, that changes everything.

[url=lbkmetroleader.com/community/faith/atheism-failed-me/]Source[/url]

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 7:47pm On Sep 15, 2016
cc: KingEbukasBlog, Richirich713, thoniameek, anas09, Tufanja, elantraceey, OLAADEGBU, KingEbukaNaija, ceeted, Chidexter, lezz, analice107, bxcode, Topeakintola, UyiIredia, Tellemall, vooks, Ishilove, sukkot, gatiano, mrpresident1, Drefan2, Strawman, dazzle101, lalasticlala, seun, Dejideji1, Farmerforlife, muafrika2, 4evergod2, udysweet, Edelweiss44, naijadeyhia, honourhim, kilo4sure, lordnicklaus, mabea, AlphaDex, felixomor, pidggin, 4evergod, Adrenaline123, Kaycee7, frank317

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 7:56pm On Sep 15, 2016
Atheism never helps anyone. It's just what is called "spiritual blindness". Your body can see but your spirit is blind heading for destruction. You have the chance to come to Jesus before it's too late. Jesus loves you and will gladly welcome you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 15, 2016
Really? He just got angry when his son died and it wore off.
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 8:11pm On Sep 15, 2016
Jesuobu:
Atheism never helps anyone. It's just what is called "spiritual blindness". Your body can see but your spirit is blind heading for destruction. You have the chance to come to Jesus before it's too late. Jesus loves you and will gladly welcome you.

That odd moment when pain graduates into pride and false confidence.

Lets see what psalm 10:3-4 says:
And the greedy man curses and spurns and even despises the Lord. The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; nor inquire for Him; All his thoughts are, “There is no God.

God be praised forever.

5 Likes

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Anas09: 8:13pm On Sep 15, 2016
winner01:
cc: KingEbukasBlog, Richirich713, thoniameek, anas09, Tufanja, elantraceey, OLAADEGBU, KingEbukaNaija, ceeted, Chidexter, lezz, analice107, bxcode, Topeakintola, UyiIredia, Tellemall, vooks, Ishilove, sukkot, gatiano, mrpresident1, Drefan2, Strawman, dazzle101, lalasticlala, seun, Dejideji1, Farmerforlife, muafrika2, 4evergod2, udysweet, Edelweiss44, naijadeyhia, honourhim, kilo4sure, lordnicklaus, mabea, AlphaDex, felixomor, pidggin, 4evergod, Adrenaline123, Kaycee7, frank317
Present sir

1 Like

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 15, 2016
I was going through my Facebook wall and I got this and I believe God made me see it for this thread. He doesn't ask for much. All He ask for is, just believe. It's that really hard to do? Now watch this video and I think this is your own second chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzH6JMyRfVE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 15, 2016
This piece resonates with a lot of Attheistd here whose depature and hatred for God is almost infantile in approach and caused by negative life events. Atheism helps absolutely nobody as its hollow, desperate, a cry for help, and inadvertently redundant.

The substance is God while Atheism is a shadow.

God bless you more and more my co-soldier winner01. The harvest is white.....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 8:17pm On Sep 15, 2016
CeoMYN:
Many atheists here too will wear off their anger as time goes on, as maturity steps in.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 8:18pm On Sep 15, 2016
Anas09:

Present sir
lol grin
How are you Sis?
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 15, 2016
winner01:
Many atheists here too will wear off their anger as time goes on, as maturity steps in.
Okay, some didn't become atheists because they are angry but just that they see no evidence that God exists.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 15, 2016
Knowing Jesus will enlarge your heart, expand your vision, stretch your faith, deepen your compassion, and fill you with a kind of joy you have never experienced.

I personally will never forget how hopeless life was without Jesus and will do all I can to bring people out of eternal hopelessness.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Anas09: 8:24pm On Sep 15, 2016
winner01:
lol grin
How are you Sis?
Very fine thank you. How ya side?
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 8:27pm On Sep 15, 2016
4everGod:
This piece resonates with a lot of Attheistd here whose depature and hatred for God is almost infantile in approach and caused by negative life events. Atheism helps absolutely nobody as its hollow, desperate, a cry for help, and inadvertently redundant.

God bless you more and more my co-soldier winner01. The harvest is white.....
Amen. And you too my brother.

hmmnn....
Thats why atheists cannot speak in coherence on what atheism really is.

The devil is just adeceiver.

3 Likes

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:27pm On Sep 15, 2016
winner01:

That odd moment when pain graduates into pride and false confidence.

Lets see what psalm 10:3-4 says:
And the greedy man curses and spurns and even despises the Lord. The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; nor inquire for Him; All his thoughts are, “There is no God.

God be praised forever.

Scripture is always accurate like a bullet shot from the muzzle of a sharp shooters rifle it always hits its target.

That verse above says it all in one sentence.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by analice107: 8:31pm On Sep 15, 2016
CeoMYN:
My dear enh?
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 8:32pm On Sep 15, 2016
CeoMYN:

Okay, some didn't become atheists because they are angry but just that they see no evidence that God exists.
no evidence huh...
cheesy grin
I wont talk about that, i believe this ex-atheist has touched a little part on the available evidence, enough to make you think.
https://www.nairaland.com/3314364/christian-family-atheism-jesus-christ

Besides anger, what else do you think could motivate one to spend his time on something he does not believe exists.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 15, 2016
analice107:

My dear enh?
undecided
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Sep 15, 2016
winner01:
Amen. And you too my brother.

hmmnn....
Thats why atheists cannot speak in coherence on what atheism really is.

The devil is just adeceiver.

Precisely! The shadow has no details, no colour, no glory, no life, no peculiarity......its just a moving mass that emerges as a diversion from that which is real and true and tries to garner attention through rigorous movements and gesticulations but the one who desires details will always ask to see the face of the shadow before accepting its directions and that is where God the substance differs from them all as with God there is love, hope, peace, joy, deliverance, mercy and all these are the substance that the shadow is devoid of.

God is good and Jesus is calling you Atheists to come out of your shadow and into his marvelous light.

5 Likes

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 8:34pm On Sep 15, 2016
Anas09:

Very fine thank you. How ya side?
Good my sister, very good. And yours?
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Sep 15, 2016
CeoMYN:

it's quiet foolish to say there is no evidence that God exist when everything around us reflects a creator. Look at the sky how the sun and moon hangs in the air. There is definitely a designer behind all these. Eternity is real. Babies in the womb are not aware that the earth exist, so also we would never be aware that heaven and hell exist without the scriptures. Just as your times in your mother's womb were not the end of itself, so also this earth is not the end of itself but the preparation for the next. Those who have ears, let them hear.
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 15, 2016
winner01:
no evidence huh...
cheesy grin
I wont talk about that, i believe this ex-atheist has touched a little part on the available evidence, enough to make you think.
https://www.nairaland.com/3314364/christian-family-atheism-jesus-christ

Besides anger, what else do you think could motivate one to spend his time on something he does not believe exists.
With what I saw in the thread, it was quite personal. It shows the God question is what not who.
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 8:49pm On Sep 15, 2016
4everGod:

Precisely! The shadow has no details, no colour, no glory, no life, no peculiarity......its just a moving mass that emerges as a diversion from that which is real and true and tries to garner attention through rigorous movements and gesticulations but the one who desires details will always ask to see the face of the shadow before accepting its directions and that is where God the substance differs from them all as with God there is love, hope, peace, joy, deliverance, mercy and all these are the substance that the shadow is devoid of.

God is good and Jesus is calling you Atheists to come out of your shadow and into his marvelous light.
True!!! Very true!

God is good. There is no good without God.
I love the way C.S Lewis puts it:
"God is not merely good, but goodness. Goodness is not merely divine but God"

Atheists reading this, no matter what you've done, God still loves you and His arms are wide open. Its never too late.

2 Likes

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 15, 2016
Jesuobu:
it's quiet foolish to say there is no evidence that God exist when everything around us reflects a creator. Look at the sky how the sun and moon hangs in the air. There is definitely a designer behind all these. Eternity is real. Babies in the womb are not aware that the earth exist, so also we would never be aware that heaven and hell exist without the scriptures. Just as your times in your mother's womb were not the end of itself, so also this earth is not the end of itself but the preparation for the next. Those who have ears, let them hear.
Please a supreme being didn't inspire the scriptures. A supreme would never contradict itself.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 8:51pm On Sep 15, 2016
CeoMYN:

With what I saw in the thread, it was quite personal. It shows the God question is what not who.
You should read it again, the ex-atheist established a case for a personal Being who has the ability to make personal decisions.
Read it again Sir, with an open mind.
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 8:56pm On Sep 15, 2016
CeoMYN:

Please a supreme being didn't inspire the scriptures. A supreme would never contradict itself.
Is that the truth or just what you want to believe?
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 8:58pm On Sep 15, 2016
winner01:
You should read it again, the ex-atheist established a case for a personal Being who has the ability to make personal decisions.
Read it again Sir, with an open mind.
I read it with an open mind, it still didn't answer the question of how God came into existence. It also protrayed God as what not who, thereby contradicting the holy books.
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 15, 2016
winner01:
Is that the truth or just what you want to believe?
The truth is God would never contradict himself. God is supreme!
Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 9:04pm On Sep 15, 2016
CeoMYN:

I read it with an open mind, it still didn't answer the question of how God came into existence. It also protrayed God as what not who, thereby contradicting the holy books.
Maybe you should try for the third time, very slowly and with an open mind.

The ex-atheist established that Time began with the universe and a pre-existing Being would exist outside the confines of time.
Such a Being is timeless or eternal (no beginning or end).
He potrayed God as a Who. I believe you should read it again.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by winner01(m): 9:07pm On Sep 15, 2016
CeoMYN:

The truth is God would never contradict himself. God is supreme!
Yes. God does not contradict Himself.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by waldigit: 9:11pm On Sep 15, 2016
CeoMYN:

atheism is easy when things are fine.
But when things go beyond control, you don't need preacher to preach to you to renounce atheism.

1 Like

Re: Atheism Failed Me; The Testimony Of Nick Watts. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 15, 2016
winner01:
Maybe you should try for the third time, very slowly and with an open mind.

The ex-atheist established that Time began with the universe and a pre-existing Being would exist outside the confines of time.
Such a Being is timeless or eternal (no beginning or end).
He potrayed God as a Who. I believe you should read it again.
Can something exist without a cause?
I'm trying to understand the existence of God

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bishop David Oyedepo: 2013 Prophetic Declarations -Your Double Portion Year / Is It True, CCC And C&S Are Into Worship Of Water Spirit Without Knowing? / What Is The Fundamental Difference Between Science And Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.