Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree (33583 Views)

Uniben Mourns the death of 3 lecturers from the Faculty Of Pharmacy / NUC Approves University Of Africa For Bayelsa As 43rd State University / 43 Of The 96 Howard Univrsity Doctor Of Pharmacy Candidates Are Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by onaopepo1: 7:20pm On Sep 16, 2016
Victory at Last for Pharmacy, now NMA can take a chill

PSN OFFICIALLY RECEIVES pharm.D APPROVAL LETTER

In what has been adjudged a milestone achievement for the Pharmaceutical
Society of Nigeria ( PSN) the Ahmed Yakasai led PSN has successfully
received the official approval letter for Pharm .D , from the National
Universities Commission ( NUC) .
The epoch making event, which took place at the office of the new NUC
Executive Secretary Prof . Abubakar Rasheed on Wednesday 14th September
2016, was witnessed by the PSN president and his entourage in Abuja .
Shortly after the official document was presented to him , he appreciated God
and all who had worked tirelessly to make it a possibility . “We thank God for
His blessings as I collected the official letter of Pharm . D approval from NUC
today .May God help all those who contributed in making this milestone
possible. Congratulations to all Pharmacists and friends of the profession ”.
Meanwhile , accolades have continued to pour in from pharmacists across the
country on the achievement. Some of their comments below :
Professor Chinedum Peace Babalola : “All the glory to God for this victory . I
pray that we will use this opportunity God has given us to take our
profession to an enviable position . May we receive God’ s favour as educators
to implement it well. As men of honour let us join hands”.
Ibrahim Mohammed: “Pharmacists have spoken . A wise decision to have a
good head. Congratulations my president ”.
Michael Tomori : ” Very hard working PSN President different from the rest
because of the ABU genes. My Presido check your in box for my request sir-
not personal one but professional ”.
George Deprince Ukoima: ” Congratulations , Pharmacy. Weldone, Mr.
President. God bless everyone that contributed to this Success ”.

http://www.pharmanewsonline.com/psn-officially-receives-pharm-d-approval-letter/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by naptu2: 6:51am On Sep 17, 2016
There's going to be war.

Will NMA allow them to be called doctors?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by brainpulse: 6:51am On Sep 17, 2016
This is a great achievement to the pharmacy professionals. What couldn't be done when we had a former doctorate cluless president.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Marcus2(m): 6:53am On Sep 17, 2016
that's good news.
Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by nony43(m): 6:53am On Sep 17, 2016
So theirs is now B.phd ? Or what?
Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Nobody: 6:54am On Sep 17, 2016
These change people are really changing things from bad to worse. There are so many important issues to work on and this is what you put your focus on. SMH

4 Likes

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Mcowubaba: 6:54am On Sep 17, 2016
Well deserved

3 Likes

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by pabon(m): 6:55am On Sep 17, 2016
It's a welcome development

2 Likes

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Niyeal(m): 6:55am On Sep 17, 2016
Hf
Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by ChemicalMallam(m): 6:55am On Sep 17, 2016
welcome development

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by 88natzy(m): 6:55am On Sep 17, 2016
Soon MLS

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Silumi(f): 6:56am On Sep 17, 2016
5 yrs in school versus a doctors 7 to 8 yrs I don't know about them ,but it is always going to be clear that The doctors earned that title. let us see if any good stuff comes out of it.

6 Likes

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Junior66(m): 6:56am On Sep 17, 2016
Which kind news be this naw? It doesn't even explain anything. No preamble to the news.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by micskales(m): 6:57am On Sep 17, 2016
techinfong:
They will now be called doc or what does that mean?
you need prayer oh, don't you know the meaning of doctorate degree?

3 Likes

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Pavore9: 6:57am On Sep 17, 2016
Our doctors no go happy for this development! cheesy

15 Likes

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Nobody: 6:58am On Sep 17, 2016
naptu2:
There's going to be war.

Will NMA allow them to be called doctors?
is NMA the body which determine the standard and quality of education to be attained by an individual before he is licensed as a pharmacist? NMA gat no problem with pharmacist. The sky is too wide for all to practice within their areas of competence. Pharm D doesn't make the pharmacist medical doctors.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by ChemicalMallam(m): 6:58am On Sep 17, 2016
Niyeal:
Hf

= hafnium, an element in the periodic table

9 Likes

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by hUmaneOne: 6:58am On Sep 17, 2016
optometrists have always been called doctors as well. NMA doesn't give sh1it about pharm d and titles

They only want a distinction between a Medical Doctor and a Pharm D graduate because majority of Nigerians are gullible and will see someone bearing Dr, and assume falsely they are licensed to diagnose and treat diseases.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by macdanny2000(m): 6:59am On Sep 17, 2016
Wow! This is good news. now doctors can hug transformer due to jealousy. very arrogant set of people that wants to be the only health care delivery in the country. they don't like any other field of medical practice... I don't know why?

5 Likes

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by adioolayi(m): 7:00am On Sep 17, 2016
So, this automatically equates them to the REAL Dr. No No...ko Jo....we the masses knows who is who at the hospital grin

9 Likes

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by 1192daniel(m): 7:00am On Sep 17, 2016
Silumi:
5 yrs in school versus a doctors 7 to 8 yrs I don't know about them ,but it is always going to be clear that The doctors earned that title. let us see if any good stuff comes out of it.
Do u think dey(pharmacists) won't spend 7 years in total Warr about housemanship
Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by naptu2: 7:01am On Sep 17, 2016
micskales:

She is right. There's been a cold war between medical doctors and pharmacists in Nigeria over this issue. The pharmacists want their members that have doctorate degrees to be called doctors, while the medical doctors do not want them to be called doctors because it would confuse the patients.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by techinfong: 7:01am On Sep 17, 2016
I know,what i was saying is not what you are thinking man. Me i thought they were given them doctorate before na
micskales:
Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by macdanny2000(m): 7:02am On Sep 17, 2016
88natzy:
Soon MLS
thank you my brother. . D.Mls loading. .. e go happen soon

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Opharhe: 7:03am On Sep 17, 2016
Wow!
Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Kingzy4pep(m): 7:04am On Sep 17, 2016
88natzy:
Soon MLS
In 20yrs time. Judging by the way Nigeria is now.
Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 17, 2016
Everyone in the health sector competes with and bitches the medical doctor, yet tries to stick their nose up.
To me the euphoria greeting this 'milestone' is a pointer to lack of professional pride, the desire to be seen as equals to the medical doctor, and the desire to get over the fence, what you couldn't get through the gates.
Nigerians and our craze for titles, or what's it with wanting to take up the title of "doctor" when there should be more pride in the title "Pharm " if truly you love your profession. Even the nurses and other paramedics are being adressed as 'doctors' when patients see them in white (coat), so I don't get the fuss.
For some time now I've been looking for how to do without the Dr prefix and title, yet that doesn't change the fact about who I am or reduce my professional skills.
Congrats to the pharmacists though, MedLab would pick up their own battle now. cheesy

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Nobody: 7:04am On Sep 17, 2016
The introduction by the op is bad, what does our PharmD has to do with NMA? I understand the politics but I will advise we stop the dick measuring already.

Congrats to the Pharm in the house, as men of honour.....

3 Likes

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 17, 2016
hUmaneOne:
optometrists have always been callers doctors as well. NMA doesn't give sh1it about pharm d and titles

They only want a distinction between a Medical Doctor and a Pharm D graduate because majority of Nigerians are gullible and will see someone bearing Dr, and assume falsely they are licensed to diagnose and treat diseases.
But can't a pharmacist diagnosed and treat diseases too? You may have a better knowledge of diagnosing some diseases than the pharmacists but he gat a more superior knowledge of pharmacology and therapeutics than you. That's why you work together as a team. No single sets of professionals can work successfully alone in the care of their patients except the Nigerian kind of physicians who knows it all. That's the reason why our hospitals are "mere consulting clinics"

17 Likes

Re: NUC Approves Doctor Of Pharmacy Degree by naptu2: 7:06am On Sep 17, 2016
DABMarkNig2019:

is NMA the body which determine the standard of education?

There's been a cold war between medical doctors and pharmacists in Nigeria over this issue. The pharmacists want their members that have doctorate degrees to be called doctors, while the medical doctors do not want them to be called doctors because it would confuse the patients.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? / If You Are A Genius, Answer This Question! / Okorocha To Build Islamic University In Daura, Buhari’s Hometown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.