Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,776 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:47 PM

When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know (52762 Views)

What You Need To Know When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement / Evans Leads Police To Houses Where He Keeps His Victims (photos) / What You Need To Know When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement (2) (3) (4)

When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by benpuzzy(m): 8:00am On Sep 17, 2016
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW WHEN DIRECTED BY THE POLICE TO WRITE A STATEMENT:

If the police ask you to write a statement, which they normally do when they stop you on the road and take you to their station or when they invite you to their station, you should know how to write a good statement that will not implicate you.

First, whether you write a statement as a witness or as a suspect, you must understand that your statement is very likely going to be used against you either in court or for the purpose of blackmail by some officers (not all). Therefore, take your statement writing as a serious matter.

Remember that you have right to refuse to write a statement until your lawyer is present. But this normally leads to argument and hostile reactions from the police, and it may likely be a pretext for them not releasing you immediately.

There are no hard and fast rules as to the content of a statement. It is supposed to be what you know in relation to an incident or the reason for you being brought to the station. Since the statement is not just a general view on anything you like, it is important that you know the reason for which you have been brought to the station.

For those who have been suspected of committing an offense, make sure that before you start writing a statement, you ask the officer the offense for which you have been brought to the station. If he tells you that there is no offense, that they just want you to tell them all you know, you can politely say: No, Sir. The police force is meant to enforce the criminal law. Therefore, the police would not have any justification to bring you to the station except if they suspect that an offense has been committed somewhere by somebody - either you or someone else. And you need to know the offense and the person suspected before you could write your statement.

Also, if you were arrested or invited as a result of a petition written against you, you must demand to read carefully that petition before you start giving your statement.

When you start your statement, make sure you explain in your statement the reason for which you have been asked to make your statement. For instance, you can say something like: "I was stopped while driving my vehicle with registration number xxxxx on ________ street in _______ city. After showing my papers to officer xxxxxxx, I was taken to the police station and informed that my car was suspected of being stolen car"

Then you make your statement. You will see that the police will not like this. But you should be able to state the summary of the circumstances that led to you having to make a statement in the station.

I will say more about writing statements at police stations. For now, just get the idea that you should explain why you are making a statement and the offenses you were told you were suspected of. You should state that in your statement before you begin to write other things

POST SCRIPT: The reason you have to state in your statement the reason for making a statement is obvious. Your statement when read by a third party can only make sense in the context of the matter that prompted the statement. So, if you didn't state the matter to which your statement relates, the police may change the matter down the line. Initially, you thought you were arrested because of stolen vehicle, but the police later charged it to kidnapping. If a judge is reading your statement in a kidnapping case, he will think you were evading the issues. He will think you were dodging the matter that you don't want to answer the question. And he will form a negative opinion of you based on your presumably inconclusive and evasive statement . So be careful and be wise

(C) Emeka Ugwuonye

https://m.facebook.com/sitippe/photos/a.523897740993534.1073741827.516399581743350/1064502600266376/?type=3&refid=18&_ft_=qid.6331353721649718140%3Amf_story_key.643687219134117%3Atl_objid.643687219134117&__tn__=%2As

Pix - CSP Cornellia Nwawe, PPRO Akwa Ibom State Police Command

139 Likes 27 Shares

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by ITbomb(m): 8:07am On Sep 17, 2016
The police that arrest you and frame you for not able to get bail money do not need statements

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by 2fine2fast(m): 8:14am On Sep 17, 2016
This is a very nice one.
This might come handy one day.
Good job op.... Just try and compete it.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by Dreal11247: 8:28am On Sep 17, 2016
An officer once told me that some police officers don't like peaceful situations. They even pray for road accidents to occur or for people to get involved in one problem or the other that will land them in police net. Men,be wise.

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by BIDOO(m): 8:29am On Sep 17, 2016

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by olaric(m): 8:54am On Sep 17, 2016
Highly educative, police remains Nigeria' biggest problem. The best thing is to pray against going to the station...

28 Likes

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by ULSHERLAN(m): 9:53am On Sep 17, 2016
If you've been taken to the station before then you will know that the writeup doesnt really apply. Most times, these men just forcefully tell people what to write. A friend was slapped continously for not writing what they were dictating to him.

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by benpuzzy(m): 10:42am On Sep 17, 2016
ULSHERLAN:
If you've been taken to the station before then you will know that the writeup doesnt really apply. Most times, these men just forcefully tell people what to write. A friend was slapped continously for not writing what they were dictating to him.

Because that friend of yours doesn't know his right. I have succeeded to gain the respect of some of the police men in my area because i know even more than what they know. One tried to bite more than he can chew few days ago and landed himself into police cell for two days, he avoided my area for few days after his release cos he said it was a disgrace for a civilian to cause the detention of a policeman.

87 Likes 4 Shares

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by benpuzzy(m): 10:46am On Sep 17, 2016
olaric:
Highly educative, police remains Nigeria' biggest problem. The best thing is to pray against going to the station...

The problem we have is that people are always afraid when they hear the name "Police or police Station". Good a thing we have Human right Lawyers now that are ready to fight for you free of charge once you are innocent.

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by Jirate(m): 10:50am On Sep 17, 2016
ULSHERLAN:

Too True my Dear, once taken to a police Station with a Faulty Computer System I was detailed to repair several years ago, they said the CPU has no Receipt so it was suspected stolen. Once at the station, Okhoro Police station in Benin, a supposedly Polite Police man outside the station threatened to Burst my Eyes with Slaps if I do not do what they wants…….

Men those guys are Demons. Believe me, the Owner came and bailed me and his System with 1K each some hours later. I Sincerely Wonder How much they would collect today in similar circumstances. cool

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by johnwizey: 10:55am On Sep 17, 2016
Jirate:

Too True my Dear, once taken to a police Station with a Faulty Computer System I was detailed to repair several years ago, they said the CPU has no Receipt so it was suspected stolen. Once at the station, Okhoro Police station in Benin, a supposedly Polite Police man outside the station threatened to Burst my Eyes with Slaps if I do not do what they wants…….

Men those guys are Demons. Believe me, the Owner came and bailed me and his System with 1K each some hours later. I Sincerely Wonder How much they would collect today in similar circumstances. cool

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by ULSHERLAN(m): 11:18am On Sep 17, 2016
benpuzzy:

Because that friend of yours doesn't know his right. I have succeeded to gain the respect of some of the police men in my area because i know even more than what they know. One tried to bite more than he can chew few days ago and landed himself into police cell for two days, he avoided my area for few days after his release cos he said it was a disgrace for a civilian to cause the detention of a policeman.

Claiming right with Nigerian police is like writing your death sentence.

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by sorepco(m): 12:47pm On Sep 17, 2016
I tell u. We have to be careful with the police. Obe stopped me the other day and asked that we drove to their station. Asked him y he just said ..de go oga...when he got there he brought out a plain sheet of paper n said i should sign. I ssid for what and he was like uf u want comot here just sign. I refused n he delayed me for 1 hr.

Another policeman came in and whispred to him. He suddenly said de go. I told him i de go oga office. The fool started begging!!

olaric:

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by benpuzzy(m): 1:31pm On Sep 17, 2016
sorepco:
I tell u. We have to be careful with the police. Obe stopped me the other day and asked that we drove to their station. Asked him y he just said ..de go oga...when he got there he brought out a plain sheet of paper n said i should sign. I ssid for what and he was like uf u want comot here just sign. I refused n he delayed me for 1 hr.

Another policeman came in and whispred to him. He suddenly said de go. I told him i de go oga office. The fool started begging!!

That is the spirit, some of these low ranked police guys does all the illegalities without the concent and knowledge of their Ogas

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by benpuzzy(m): 1:33pm On Sep 17, 2016
We can still make things right, and it all starts from me and you, forget about the delay and learn how to his any police man at his danger zone, as long as you do not commit any crime. #Nigeriagobetter#

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by cckris: 2:12pm On Sep 17, 2016
[size=20pt]Very Good Topic.[/size]
[size=15pt]The Police is your fiend.
[/size]

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by veekid(m): 2:30pm On Sep 17, 2016
The Nigeria police force? Those guys need serious reforms

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by chris4gold(m): 2:55pm On Sep 17, 2016
Isokay
Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by Bujumbura(m): 4:38pm On Sep 17, 2016
When Police arrested me for coming back late. I didn't argue with them i only showed them my I.D card then i went with them to the station.

When they asked me to pay 5k i told them that i will withdraw 5k from my Atm and give them but i tweet their names to Nigeria the next day that their names will be more popular than buhari.

These guys left me behind the counter and after 10mins they came with their Van took me and drop me in ftont of my junction

They tried having a light convo with me but i wasn't in the mood. One idiot among them asked me if I'm a lawyer, i told him that I'm a Business Man

Never you panic when a policeman accost you because your body language might make you loose money

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by Bujumbura(m): 4:40pm On Sep 17, 2016
Lalasticlala this is good for Fp.
Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by Redoil: 4:52pm On Sep 17, 2016
Bujumbura:
Lalasticlala this is good for Fp.
what about a situation where police will force you to sign a prewritting statement

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by ayo2009ice(m): 4:58pm On Sep 17, 2016
Good topic
Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by SirVintageCock: 5:08pm On Sep 17, 2016
I travelled to my town on one of this festivities and was strolling and greeting friends along the way with my earpiece blasting P-square's Omoge mi till I got to the pathway that leads to our compound. I was about negotiating the bend when this guy I know quite well shoot off like a bullet almost knocking me flat on the ground, I managed to peep to know what's after him and there were really something after him, ...... policemen were after him. I didn't bother to count how many they are i just shoot off too and followed the guy by then they were already very close and had their hands around my shirt I manage to wriggle out of their grip, pull it off and throw it into the bush while I was running for my dear life.
By then the guy they were after was already short of breath and felt that since they are after me too he can take a break and catch his breathe. They got him on his shirt and trouser and were dragging him back to their van oblivious of the fact that my guy was unbuttoning his clothes. He managed to cut himself loose again and shoot off, they held the shirt it slipped from his body, the trouser is already at his ankle he lifted his leg and got it out and WAS FREEEEEEEE. He ran like a mo'fucker for his dear life. The policemen were amazed to what was happening to the extent that instead of chasing him they stood there for some seconds before bursting into fistful fits of laughter.
It WAS funny but wouldn't have been funny if they had caught him.
I witnessed from a VERY safe distance.

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by Agimor(m): 5:41pm On Sep 17, 2016
[color=#006600][/color] grin

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by cirmuell(m): 6:00pm On Sep 17, 2016
SirVintageCock:
I travelled to my town on one of this festivities and was strolling and greeting friends along the way with my earpiece blasting P-square's Omoge mi till I got to the pathway that leads to our compound. I was about negotiating the bend when this guy I know quite well shoot off like a bullet almost knocking me flat on the ground, I managed to peep to know what's after him and there were really something after him, ...... policemen were after him. I didn't bother to count how many they are i just shoot off too and followed the guy by then they were already very close and had their hands around my shirt I manage to wriggle out of their grip, pull it off and throw it into the bush while I was running for my dear life.
By then the guy they were after was already short of breath and felt that since they are after me too he can take a break and catch his breathe. They got him on his shirt and trouser and were dragging him back to their van oblivious of the fact that my guy was unbuttoning his clothes. He managed to cut himself loose again and shoot off, they held the shirt it slipped from his body, the trouser is already at his ankle he lifted his leg and got it out and WAS FREEEEEEEE. He ran like a mo'fucker for his dear life. The policemen were amazed to what was happening to the extent that instead of chasing him they stood there for some seconds before bursting into fistful fits of laughter.
It WAS funny but wouldn't have been funny if they had caught him.
I witnessed from a VERY safe distance.
Buhahaha cheesycheesygrin Honestly, you for no run though.

The last time a Police stopped me on the road was way back in 2010 at the Opebi end of the Opebi~Oregun link bridge. I was heading to my bro's office, He stopped the bikeman and asked me to get off the bike. Asked for my I.D and where I was heading, I kept my cool, showed him my I.Ds & told him "to my bro's office." He asked other irrelevant questions which i gave answers to, he then said I can leave.

Thing is, those guys look out for your body language, once you show any sign of fear, you are gone.

*Had the same chasing experience this year, they were after some guys gambling with WHOT and I was coming from the opposite direction. I just walked through their midst with my polythene bag in my hand like they weren't there.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by Nobody: 6:35pm On Sep 17, 2016
Thanks op
Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by funshyboi(m): 6:35pm On Sep 17, 2016
Just pray you don't encounter them. They ain't cool at all, pray you leave their premises before they exchange you for a prisoner sad

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by tdayof(m): 6:35pm On Sep 17, 2016
That's not a CSP rank on her shoulder. ASP confirmed 2 stars.

Poor Journalism. You either put the NPF logo than misleading the public if you can't find an up to date picture.

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by Proffdada: 6:37pm On Sep 17, 2016
Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 17, 2016
Wow thanks so much...... this is a nice post

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by seunowokade(m): 6:38pm On Sep 17, 2016
olaric:
I no think so, [size=20pt]na PHCN[/size] grin grin grin

Re: When Directed By The Police To Write A Statement: What You Should Know by serverconnect(m): 6:38pm On Sep 17, 2016
nice write up

Policeman Ordered Out Of A Man’s Truck In Lagos For Trying To Extort Him / Black Lives Matter Protest Holds In Victoria Island, Lagos / Sex With A Pig: Man In Court In Ibadan

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54