Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,865 members, 7,806,459 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? (6220 Views)

Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Symptoms Of Water In A Car's Petrol Tank And Ways To Fix It / See Pictures Of Water Buses That Can Move On Water And Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by byna: 10:00am On Sep 17, 2016
Hello Guys,

I keep on being told that I should switch off the AC esp while entering a pool of water. Has anyone and idea why? Or have you experienced a fault after leaving it on?

I read automobile Eng and so far I haven't read any theoretical backup to this assertion.

Do you have any clue?
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by mayor2013: 10:44am On Sep 17, 2016
byna:
Hello Guys,

I keep on being told that I should switch off the AC esp while entering a pool of water. Has anyone and idea why? Or have you experienced a fault after leaving it on?

I read automobile Eng and so far I haven't read any theoretical backup to this assertion.

Do you have any clue?

What car do you drive? If you have your compressor mounted @ the bottom side of the engine as seen most especially in hondas and some brands of cars then its advisable you switch it off so as to avoide damage. You don't need to read about any theoretical script to figure this out. If you still haven't studied burahionmics course then you are in for trouble. This is an electrical component what happens when water touches it?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by honmusa(m): 11:25am On Sep 17, 2016
byna:
Hello Guys,

Do you have any clue?
A times u need to think out of the box to understand some concept .The reason u need to switch of your Ac is to prevent the working fan from splashing water into the electrical system or ignition system .
That is why u see a lot of car breakdown more during raining season and you are even at higher risk if you run your fan direct.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by lonelydora: 11:26am On Sep 17, 2016
I have been asking this question too. Even tough, I blindly do it also.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by lonelydora: 11:27am On Sep 17, 2016
honmusa:

A times u need to think out of the box to understand some concept .The reason u need to switch of your Ac is to prevent the working fan from splashing water into the electrical system or iginitiom system cos if that you happen your car can go off .

What happens to the radiator fan which is also on?

8 Likes

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by Ladipodeal: 11:31am On Sep 17, 2016
Mostly to save your A.C compressor. Been ignoring that before now. On a particular occasion my ac light started blinking minutes after driving out of large pool of water.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by honmusa(m): 11:39am On Sep 17, 2016
lonelydora:

then you cannot help the situation then.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by honmusa(m): 11:39am On Sep 17, 2016
lonelydora:

I have already mentioned it earlier ,if your ac is on your fan is also working and has more possibilities of splashing water into your ignition system which left u stranded on the road.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by hUmaneOne: 12:02pm On Sep 17, 2016
byna:
Hello Guys,

Do you have any clue?

Except your car has been kazeemised and wires and components are flying everywhere, I don't see the need to .

I've never seen that recommendation in the US even during flooding..

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 5:13pm On Sep 17, 2016
honmusa:

A times u need to think out of the box to understand some concept .The reason u need to switch of your Ac is to prevent the working fan from splashing water into the electrical system or ignition system .
That is why u see a lot of car breakdown more during raining season and you are even at higher risk if you run your fan direct.
Realy? grin grin grin
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 5:15pm On Sep 17, 2016
honmusa:

I have already mentioned it earlier ,if your ac is on your fan is also working and has more possibilities of splashing water into your ignition system which left u stranded on the road.
Your fan would work regardless of AC ON or not is this not true?
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 5:17pm On Sep 17, 2016
byna:
Hello Guys,

Do you have any clue?
Turn off nothing, but if the water is high enough to get into your car then Im sure you wont need to go fru that kinda flood
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by honmusa(m): 5:56pm On Sep 17, 2016
erico2k2:

Your fan would work regardless of AC ON or not is this not true?
what is this about ?what is your argument ,?
who made mentioned of fan work or not or what exactly is your argument.
The point still remain that when u need to pull through a pool of water ,if you can help it ,make sure your fan is off.simple

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 6:02pm On Sep 17, 2016
honmusa:

what is this about ?what is your argument ,?
Ah my Argument is to correct the notion that turning off the Ac turns off the Radiator Fan.I hope this is clear enough.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 6:04pm On Sep 17, 2016
honmusa:

This is what you wrote.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by honmusa(m): 6:06pm On Sep 17, 2016
erico2k2:

Ah my Argument is to correct the notion that turning off the Ac turns off the Radiator Fan.I hope this is clear enough.
the basis of my argument is simple ,if you can help it ,try everything possible to prevent your fan from coming on when you are pulling through a pool of water.

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by byna: 6:22pm On Sep 17, 2016
honmusa:

the basis of my argument is simple ,if you can help it ,try everything possible to prevent your fan from coming on when you are pulling through a pool of water.

I know for sure, your fan largely depends on engine temp. So, you may not literally have control over where it's ON or OFF from inside while seated

5 Likes

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 6:23pm On Sep 17, 2016
honmusa:

Fair enough, but how can you turn the FAN off when the Engine is on
or do U recommend he park on the side and unplug the fan??
Your fan is meant to be controlled by a relay and some even have controls from teh ECU

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by byna: 6:31pm On Sep 17, 2016
erico2k2:

Fair enough, but how can you turn the FAN off when the Engine is off
Your fan is meant to be controlled by a relay and some even have controls from teh ECU

You right Bro.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Sep 17, 2016
hUmaneOne:

Except your car has been kazeemised and wires and components are flying everywhere, I don't see the need to .

I've never seen that recommendation in the US even during flooding..

And you won't either.

There's a lot of kakamimi repairs and reinventions molested on poor autos in Nigeria.

For OP, stop driving through pools of water that's high enough to enter your engine bay.

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by byna: 8:55pm On Sep 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

And you won't either.

There's a lot of kakamimi repairs and reinventions molested on poor autos in Nigeria.

For OP, stop driving through pools of water that's high enough to enter your engine bay.

And if it becomes inevitable?

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by mayor2013: 9:00pm On Sep 17, 2016
byna:

Pull over and trek

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Sep 17, 2016
byna:

Nothing is inevitable.

Go ahead and turn your car into a submarine if you wish.

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 17, 2016
mayor2013:

Pull over and trek

It's a shame that you had to say this to a grown man.

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 10:06pm On Sep 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

aha Niaraland will not finish us aahha, U know I was told here that a welder/mechanic re-constructed a Cat converter

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by mayor2013: 10:53pm On Sep 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Could you explain how it turns out to be a shame? If you driving and you know the nature of car you drive and you still decide to enter a pool of water. Is it not just better you pull over and continue your journey. I have only given an advice here. Nothing more or less
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 17, 2016
mayor2013:

Could you explain how it turns out to be a shame? If you driving and you know the nature of car you drive and you still decide to enter a pool of water. Is it not just better you pull over and continue your journey. I have only given an advice here. Nothing more or less

I'm with you on this and I think it's shame (on the OPs part) that you had to tell him that "you driving and you know the nature of car you drive and you still decide to enter a pool of water".

2 Likes

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by mayor2013: 11:14pm On Sep 17, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I'm with you on this and I think it's shame (on the OPs part) that you had to tell him that "you driving and you know the nature of car you drive and you still decide to enter a pool of water".

I comprehend better

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by honmusa(m): 6:16am On Sep 18, 2016
erico2k2:

Fair enough, but how can you turn the FAN off when the Engine is on
Seems u are more interested in winning an argument than try to see the point I am raising and you never attempt any alternatives to the op question .
Fan ON state is dependent on 2 control :
1.0 Temperature engine control which trigger the fan to work intermittently
2.0 AC control which trigger the fan to work continuously
so tell me which has more influence on the fan .
Let hear your own attempt to the question rather than your attack to another suggestion.

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by byna: 6:33am On Sep 18, 2016
mayor2013:

Our roads are bad and even worse during this period. You can hardly drive without seeing a pool of water to pass. That was what I meant by inevitable . Ofcousre you don't expect me to pull over and trek when I've got a ride

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by honmusa(m): 7:13am On Sep 18, 2016
byna:

I know for sure, your fan largely depends on engine temp. So, you may not literally have control over where it's ON or OFF from inside while seated
Your fan ON status depend on engine temperature control and Ac control .Engine temperature control only trigger for a few minute and goes off .Ac control is a continuous trigger on the fan that keep the fan on perpetually .
The probability of your fan turned ON due to temperature control is less than 1 but the probability of it being ON due to Ac control is 1.
So the driver actually determine the fan control more than the engine temperature control so far the Ac switch is in the car.
So take charge where u can have more impact rather than worrying about external control that is of lesser significance.

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by ironheart(m): 7:25am On Sep 18, 2016
honmusa:

i cant agree more. Makes a whole lot of sense. Take one origin zero

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Differentiate Between Korean And Chinese Car Batteries? / Nigeria's Most Reliable Car / The Remain Of A Family Car After Crashing Into A Wall With 120MPH.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.