Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,096 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:28 AM

Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal (36301 Views)

"Aisha Buhari Wearing N8m Chopard Diamond Wristwatch" - TheSignal Says / Mamman Daura Plagiarized Obama's Speech For Buhari - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Stole “I Belong To Nobody” Quote From The Late Charles De Gaulle – Signal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by VillageParrot: 12:43pm On Sep 17, 2016

In what appears to be a gale of presidential plagiarisms, President Muhammadu Buhari is enmeshed in a fresh plagiarism scandal that shows him stealing the famous “I belong to everybody and I belong to nobody” quote from the late Charles de Gaulle of France.

The quote, which was smuggled into President Buhari’s May 29, 2015 inauguration speech, received a lot of commendation from Nigerians across political and religious divides. The quote immediately went viral and was listed by the BBC as the best quote out of Africa for the year 2015.

Further checks have however revealed that just like Buhari plagiarized Obama’s 2008 victory speech, the “I belong to everybody and I belong to nobody” is original to Charles de Gaulle who said “I am a man who belongs to no-one and who belongs to everyone”, while addressing a press conference on May 19, 1958.

Charles de Gaulle was a French army officer and statesman. He was the leader of Free France (1940-44) and the head of the Provisional Government of the French Republic (1944–46). In 1958, he founded the Fifth Republic and was elected as the 18th President of France, a position he held until his resignation in 1969. He was the dominant figure of France during the Cold War and his memory continues to influence French politics.Meanwhile, President Buhari on Friday admitted that he stole some lines from Obama’s 2008 victory speech which were inserted into a speech he delivered last week at the official launch of Nigeria’s “Change Begins With Me” campaign.

A statement by the Nigerian presidency blamed the intellectual property theft on an “overzealous staff” and vowed tomete out disciplinary actions against the staff, an unnamed deputy director in Nigeria’s Federal Civil Service.

http://www.signalng.com/busted-buhari-stole-belong-nobody-quote-charles-de-gaulle/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=email_this&utm_source=email

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by divinehand2003(m): 12:46pm On Sep 17, 2016
Lol

How come it took you this long to discover this?

Hmmm

Buhari did say this, ''I belong to Nobody and I belong to Everybody.''

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by 3unitload(m): 12:47pm On Sep 17, 2016
Is it that he ain't creative or what.....smh...anywayz back 2 my candy crush game...

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by Nusaf: 12:50pm On Sep 17, 2016
Even if he quoted the said expression, when has that become an issue? People should go and read their books and stop disturbing the public with words whose meaning, they are not sure of. What exactly do u mean by plagiarism? Look up the meaning of that word once again pls.

116 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by RealJaneDoe: 12:57pm On Sep 17, 2016
copy copy uncle

280 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by KINGMAKER001(m): 1:00pm On Sep 17, 2016
not only that he plagiarized,, he's also acting opposite of what he said by categorising the 98% and 5%...There's always a day of reckoning!

210 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by abokibuhari: 1:01pm On Sep 17, 2016
Nusaf:
Even if he quoted the said expression, when has that become an issue? People should go and read their books and stop disturbing the public with words whose meaning, they are not sure of. What exactly do u mean by plagiarism? Look up the meaning of that word once again pls.
how this ani ma take do project that's if you go school sef, at least mention the person way get the quote(referencing)

169 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by dmgr(m): 1:05pm On Sep 17, 2016

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by dustmalik: 1:07pm On Sep 17, 2016
Fools everywhere. This is the reason I stopped commenting on this section. This can't be termed as plagiarism because it's not word for word or sentence for sentence. Calling this plagiarism is like saying some specific people have exclusivity to certain English words, which is the most stupid way of reasoning.

135 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by kelvincoll(m): 1:09pm On Sep 17, 2016
This is just the beginning, trust my Naija folks to dig out more copy copy

Can someone slam the copyright infringement bla bla bla on APC already? grin

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by chieveboy(m): 1:09pm On Sep 17, 2016
In that case,when your father was toasting your mother, he stole the quote "I love you" from Romeo

By the way Buhari I know, who the heck is Charles mai kunu?

165 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by orisa37: 1:15pm On Sep 17, 2016
Nigerians plagiarize English language words and its American equivalent every minute and second.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 17, 2016
What do you expect from a man without any certificate?
Buhari is a certified dullard and clueless herdsman.

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by HtwoOw: 4:15pm On Sep 17, 2016
Quotes and speech is now the same

Awon eleya

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by Firefire(m): 6:18pm On Sep 17, 2016
Buhary the plagiarist.

'Thief is thief, Ole is ole'. - GEJ

Plagiarism is equal to GBEWIRI. i.e. Buhary is morally kworupt. shocked

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by richidinho(m): 6:18pm On Sep 17, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by wildchild1: 6:19pm On Sep 17, 2016
The signal, you don't know more than BBC, so STFU.

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by Proffdada: 6:20pm On Sep 17, 2016
OP you're as jobless as the MOD undecided

14 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by chris4gold(m): 6:20pm On Sep 17, 2016
Isokay

26 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by recievesense: 6:20pm On Sep 17, 2016
Una don knack PMB brutality e no do una now na ultra combo una wan join.

Nigeria smh

abokibuhari:

how this ani ma take do project that's if you go school sef, at least mention the person way get the quote(referencing)

The fact that you are explaining to him shows that the
He must plagiarised his life out

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by serverconnect(m): 6:20pm On Sep 17, 2016
what is all this. Does it mean APC govt must copy everything in this world. na wao o grin grin grin tongue

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by Cutehector(m): 6:21pm On Sep 17, 2016
PDP at work!

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by VickyRotex(f): 6:21pm On Sep 17, 2016
chieveboy:
When your father was toasting your mother, he stole the quote "I love you" from Romeo

"Exactement!" cheesy cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by Zico5(m): 6:21pm On Sep 17, 2016
Na dem sabi, if them like make dem dig their father's grave. Buhari is the president till 2023.

7 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by gafadove(m): 6:22pm On Sep 17, 2016
Not again cry

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by VickyRotex(f): 6:22pm On Sep 17, 2016
dustmalik:
This is the reason I stopped commenting on this section. This can't be termed as plagiarism because it's not word for word or sentence for sentence. Calling this plagiarism is like saying some specific people have exclusivity to certain English words, which is the most stupid way of reasoning.

Exactly! Even if it was plagiarized, that we dont even know for sure.

I mean, it's possible to plagiarize a person's work by using different words but same meaning in a sentence.
But the fact that the sentence seems different in terms of construction i.e the first part and second part of the sentence were switched, he can't be termed guilty for this even if he is.

This to me, is not Plagiarism!

PS:

Plagiarism itself is complicated and broad.

Haven't we all plagiarized at some point?

When you Google the meaning of Plagiarism, there's a part that says "The idea of plagiarism remains problematic with unclear definitions and unclear rules"

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by Mannylex(m): 6:22pm On Sep 17, 2016
Wow

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by Omeokachie: 6:22pm On Sep 17, 2016
A huge embarrassment of a president.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by RexEmmyGee: 6:22pm On Sep 17, 2016
very soon, someone will say buhari plagiarize Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by obailala(m): 6:22pm On Sep 17, 2016
Nigeria is just too filled with plenty mumus who have no clue what plagiarism means.

9 Likes

Re: Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal by AngelAhnie(f): 6:22pm On Sep 17, 2016
Hahahaha grin grin grin grin grin

Pls don't copy from Hitler. You know wah I mean grin grin grin

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"Hope They Won't Say Danjuma Keeps 'Looted' Billions In His Borehole" - Fayose / Insecurity: Nigerians Know We Have Done Our Best – Buhari / Obasanjo Is A Comedian -Orji Uzor Kalu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.