Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:05 AM

Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated (10510 Views)

2017 Generation Of Programmers - What Languages Are You Using? / Let's Be Honest Php Sucks When Building Enterprise Applications / Categories Of Programmers (by Areas Of Expertise) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 4:22pm On Sep 18, 2016
In case you boys think I am joking, here is what I have found out:
when some people call themselves programmer in Nigeria, you will find out that 9 out of 10 dont really know more than to write a hello world program.
Next, lets come to web developers - once a dude can install wordpress on a server - in Nigeria, he calls himself a professional website developer.

It is quite unfortunate, I have encountered a lot of these kind of people in Nigeria.

Puts down my pen, to be continued. . . .

4 Likes

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Coyotejack(m): 4:28pm On Sep 18, 2016
Yes that's true but when compared to other countries in Africa except
South Africa we are savvy a lil bit.
It's like a saying in the kingdom of the blind a one eyed MAN is king......

But we will get there.
#codejunkie

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 4:47pm On Sep 18, 2016
I have met quite a number of programmers in Nigeria, yet, I am less than impressed with what I have seen so far. There are awesome ones mind you, and I am opportune to have worked with some of them (some even from Nairaland), but the greater majority are mouth-programmers, while yet a very large percentage are SCAMMERS - who dont even know the ABC of web development.

There are the ones that are HAZARDS to web developers. This thread is not meant to expose anyone sha, I am just RAMBLING.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by DharkPoet(m): 5:53pm On Sep 18, 2016
I've been coding for sometime now, but sometimes I just feel I don't have the necessary attributes to call myself a Programmer. I mean, I can write codes, does that make me a programmer? I guess there could be people in my shoes, so could we all help understand, 'WHO/WHAT A PROGRAMMER REALLY IS/ISN'T'.

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 6:41pm On Sep 18, 2016
By the definition of this thread - anyone that can write a small code JARGONS - or can even deploy say a WAPKA website - qualifies to be called a programmer (so i have learnt from the average Nigerian so-called-programmers).

People, what are the requirements before you can say a person is a programmer in the real sense?
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by VenantCode(m): 7:05pm On Sep 18, 2016
dhtml18:
I have met quite a number of programmers in Nigeria, yet, I am less than impressed with what I have seen so far. There are awesome ones mind you, and I am opportune to have worked with some of them (some even from Nairaland), but the greater majority are mouth-programmers, while yet a very large percentage are SCAMMERS - who dont even know the ABC of web development.

There are the ones that are HAZARDS to web developers. This thread is not meant to expose anyone sha, I am just RAMBLING.
what is the way forward for our country?
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by satmaniac(m): 7:50pm On Sep 18, 2016
dhtml18:
when some people call themselves programmer in Nigeria, you will find out that 9 out of 10 dont really know more than to write a hello world program.
Next, lets come to web developers - once a dude can install wordpress on a server - in Nigeria, he calls himself a professional website developer.

It is quite unfortunate, I have encountered a lot of these kind of people in Nigeria.

Waiting have I to contribute here? Only to gain from the wealth of experience of people like you. Although, I have an issue I lie to bring to your attention. there is this php code that refused to insert the values into the database. I have taken a hard look at the codes, yet couldn't exactly pinpoint the problem. I have been on this particular problem for like 2weeks now. So, I decided it is high tie I bring it to expertz notice. dhtml18, larisoft, Danielthegeek, Adewaskco etc.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Craigston: 10:42pm On Sep 18, 2016
DharkPoet:
I've been coding for sometime now, but sometimes I just feel I don't have the necessary attributes to call myself a Programmer. I mean, I can write codes, does that make me a programmer? I guess there could be people in my shoes, so could we all help understand, 'WHO/WHAT A PROGRAMMER REALLY IS/ISN'T'.

It's not right to diagnose people on the internet but what you are feeling may be the Impostor Syndrome.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

For me, I am not really a programmer. I know just the basic constructs of some programming languages like PHP, Python, JavaScript and C.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by talk2hb1(m): 11:55pm On Sep 18, 2016
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by larisoft: 2:15am On Sep 19, 2016
As in eh... For me I just have to keep watching and comparing myself with the guys abroad (and keep taking a beating from them too) because if you focus on most of the guys who brand themselves programmers here, you would be feeling good not knowing you are comparing yourself with non-programmers.

leetcode.com, github.com, hackerank.com. These are some of the places I live.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by larisoft: 2:16am On Sep 19, 2016
satmaniac:

Waiting have I to contribute here? Only to gain from the wealth of experience of people like you. Although, I have an issue I lie to bring to your attention. there is this php code that refused to insert the values into the database. I have taken a hard look at the codes, yet couldn't exactly pinpoint the problem. I have been on this particular problem for like 2weeks now. So, I decided it is high tie I bring it to expertz notice. dhtml18, larisoft, Danielthegeek, Adewaskco etc.

Share the code, bro.

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 19, 2016
larisoft:

Share the code, bro.
The great programmer has spoken, I second the motion - I have my BAYGON SPRAY ready to kill any stray bug left.

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Afam4eva(m): 10:27am On Sep 19, 2016
A programmer is anyone who can write atleast a simple computer/web program like "Hello World". if this is not the definition of a programmer then we won't have terms such as "Good programmer", "Bad programmer" or "professional programmer". I think hat the thread meant to say is that there are very few professional programmers in Nigeria.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 19, 2016
Uhm, every programmer that I have met in Nigeria call themselves professional programmers. . . .

2 Likes

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Afam4eva(m): 11:18am On Sep 19, 2016
dhtml18:
Uhm, every programmer that I have met in Nigeria call themselves professional programmers. . . .
That's where the problem lie.

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by 3RNEST(m): 12:20pm On Sep 19, 2016
Afam4eva:

That's where the problem lie.
True talk, Afam and Dhtml, Wow what a longtime, oldbies! cool
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by larisoft: 3:03pm On Sep 19, 2016
dhtml18:

The great programmer has spoken, I second the motion - I have my BAYGON SPRAY ready to kill any stray bug left.

LOL... Am still loyal o.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by talk2hb1(m): 3:10pm On Sep 19, 2016
dhtml18:

I dont want to start counting fingers and pointing Names, first programming industry is a pourous industr with tiny to none point of entry. so anybody who can write hello word application is a programmer out of the box, but professionalism comes to play when delivery is required. I am very sure you are angry at someone sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 19, 2016
talk2hb1:

I dont want to start counting fingers and pointing Names, first programming industry is a pourous industr with tiny to none point of entry. so anybody who can write hello word application is a programmer out of the box, but professionalism comes to play when delivery is required. I am very sure you are angry at someone sad
Nay, i am very angry for lots of reasons. I know quite a number of companies that have given up completely on naija developers and are now using INDIAN COMPANIES, and the number is increasing everyday.

And the truth remains, when i work with foreign programmers on projects, I hardly have issues unlike working with my Nigerian counterparts.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nmeri17: 5:51pm On Sep 19, 2016
larisoft:
As in eh...

leetcode.com, github.com, hackerank.com. These are some of the places I live.

picture of you strolling with 2 pet pythons around your 47031 bedroom mantion at leetcode.cum or you're just a big fat white liar undecided

4 Likes

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by dueal(m): 6:13pm On Sep 19, 2016
Don't classify yourself a programmer if;
1: All you know is the intricacies of a programming language.

2: You have never ventured into any other area but UI's.

3: You don't understand what a tree data structure is and how it relates to a computer file system.

4: Efficiency sounds like an old movie

5: You hate books.

6: The only apps you've ever made happen to only be web related calling upon an sql database.(no offense here)

My thoughts

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by dueal(m): 6:26pm On Sep 19, 2016
dhtml18:

Nay, i am very angry for lots of reasons. I know quite a number of companies that have given up completely on naija developers and are now using INDIAN COMPANIES, and the number is increasing everyday.

And the truth remains, when i work with foreign programmers on projects, I hardly have issues unlike working with my Nigerian counterparts.

I hear a different report on the Indian outsourcing practice. They say a large percentage of them just copy paste code like plumbers.

So it's like beautiful/ugly women argument. The whole world has such.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 6:49pm On Sep 19, 2016
See, in terms of skill, we beat them - but as far as business, efficiency, delivery and those issues are concerned, make i talk true - they are more reliable than us.
That is one lesson many good naija developers need to learn, it is not just skills that make you get money/jobs, but your ability to run the business.

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by talk2hb1(m): 7:22pm On Sep 19, 2016
dhtml18:

That's the cause of the rage cheesy those are the bane of a Nigeria professional programmer cry cry cry , everybody wants a piece of the pie. Unfortunately nobody is thinking of Qualities angry
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by WhyAmISoQuiet: 8:27pm On Sep 19, 2016
dueal:
Don't classify yourself a programmer if;
1: All you know is the intricacies of a programming language.

2: You have never ventured into any other area but UI's.

3: You don't understand what a tree data structure is and how it relates to a computer file system.

4: Efficiency sounds like an old movie

5: You hate books.

6: The only apps you've ever made happen to only be web related calling upon an sql database.(no offense here)

My thoughts
Cut the crap pls....they are still programmers. They use their skill to provide solutions unless you're talking about titles such as developer, engineer, architect

3 Likes

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by dueal(m): 9:00pm On Sep 19, 2016
WhyAmISoQuiet:
Cut the crap pls....they are still programmers. They use their skill to provide solutions unless you're talking about titles such as developer, engineer, architect

What "crap" exactly? #6? Did that offend you or someone you are related to?

I mean programmer, software developer, software engineer. if all your work has been just on the web well, don't be offended.

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 19, 2016
talk2hb1:

That's the cause of the rage cheesy those are the bane of a Nigeria professional programmer cry cry cry , everybody wants a piece of the pie. Unfortunately nobody is thinking of Qualities angry
Now you are talking sense.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by appcypher: 4:37am On Sep 20, 2016
Random Guy in the Block. grin grin grin
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by WhyAmISoQuiet: 8:06am On Sep 20, 2016
dueal:

What "crap" exactly? #6? Did that offend you or someone you are related to?

I mean programmer, software developer, software engineer. if all your work has been just on the web well, don't be offended.
I'm defending other programmers same thing I was thinking until I learnt web. Go write a library or web framework then comeback and repeat what you said. You can't expect only one person to be good at hardware/embedded system development, 3D game development, web development, mobile app development, machine learning, digital signal processing etc Because you play with them doesn't mean you can do it at a professional level. Even those who code for academic reasons are still programmers. Another person will come and say if you haven't built an OS or a search engine don't call yourself programmer. Your CV doesn't define the word

10 Likes

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by romme2u: 9:00am On Sep 20, 2016
okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

season of royal rumbling, we have heard, we will program harder.

we will use win32 api and interface with shell to give our apps low level access to system internals

1 Like

Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 10:08am On Sep 20, 2016
^^^^why not win64 API (for 64 bit programming)? Pardon me, but I am a NOOB here.
Re: Let's Be Honest, The Number Of Programmers We Have In Nigeria Is Exagherrated by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 20, 2016
win32 ko, win64 ni

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

3D Animation Programming Join The Team / Simple Programming Projects For Beginners / Is Decagon Worth It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.