Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet (32055 Views)

Nigerian Start-ups Launch First Android Game – Dodge An Escape From Doom / CRYPTOGENE ICO - An ICO You Can't Afford To Miss / Does Bullet Contains Posion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by RobinHez(m): 6:21pm On Sep 18, 2016
[img]http://1.bp..com/-3ijujpqrghs/V96g3yA9fxI/AAAAAAAABXE/j1vyDFD_9xItF-Uxqfc3Sc7giyso1MJ6QCLcB/s1600/DodgingBullet.gif[/img]
StoryLine:
You just finished watching the movie-The Matrix and you're feeling so high, you practically want someone to shoot you so you could dodge the bullet. But then you have second thoughts, "let me go consult EdScienceBlog before i set out on this task".

Action!!!

You: Hey yo! I want to try out this scene...what do i need to know?
[img]http://3.bp..com/-38M7snKvHeo/V96iI12DmqI/AAAAAAAABXQ/zFSzQh0RNwIWBtnAPZ9468W2g9ZgIqDLgCLcB/s1600/image.jpg[/img]

EdScienceBlog: LOL...forget about what countless hollywood movies would have you believe. Dodging a bullet fired at you is almost impossible.

You: But why?

EdScienceBlog: (remind me before the end of this meeting to explain the bolded word -'almost')
you are up against some factors, let me define them.

i Muzzle Velocity: The speed with which a bullet leaves a gun.
For modern rifles, the average muzzle velocity is about 1,200meters per second. i.e. within a second, the bullet has gotten to 1,200 meters from where it was fired. . .think about that!

ii Reaction Time: The elapsed time between the presentation of stimulus and your response to it.
The average reaction time for humans is 0.25 seconds for visual stimulus, 0.17 for audio stimulus and 0.15 seconds for touch stimulus.

so, you'll need a cue, like something to alert you, for you to react- by dodging.

something you need to note here is that, due to the muzzle velocity of the gun, it would be practically impossible for you to see the bullet leave the gun, so that strikes out relying on visual stimulus from your list.

You: So what can i rely on?

EdScienceBlog: er...we have touch stimulus there, you could rely on the sense of touch from the bullet! oh wait...you'll be dead in an instance. LOL

You: Be serious jhor... how about the sense of sound?

EdScienceBlog: Ah...yeah! there could be a possibility with that, lets see.
It is scientifically proven that the speed of sound in air is 343 meters per second. Unfortunately, the muzzle velocity of an average gun is far greater than the speed of sound, meaning the bullet would have hit you before you can even hear the gun sound. . .sorry man!

You: Wow! then imagine the shooter is using a silencer, like the type James Bond uses in movies, that means no sound at all...chai!

EdScienceBlog: Argghh!! Hollywood again!
firstly, it's officially called a SUPPRESSOR. Secondly, it doesn't make the gun as quiet as Hollywood would make you believe...but then, thats a digression.

You: hmmm...so you said i should remind you about the word 'almost'

EdScienceBlog: I did?

You: yes.

EdScienceBlog: Why?

You: I should be asking you that!

EdScienceBlog: LOL... i'm just pulling your legs.
Depending on the distance of the shooter from the shooted, one could possibly dodge a bullet. (Note; not a bullet from a sniper o!) as shown by MythBusters in one of their videos. But bear in mind that the shooter has to be very, very, very far away, and you have to react before he pulls the trigger in order for you to successfully stay alive in this experiment. How you'll achieve that. . .na you know!

You: Thanks! I think i'll look for something better to do with my life.

EdScienceBlog: You welcome! please, click the like & share button below to share this post with your friends who are also having this thought of committing suicide!

Source : http://www.edscienceblog.com/2016/09/why-you-cant-normaly-dodge-bullet.html

332 Likes 96 Shares

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by RobinHez(m): 6:27pm On Sep 18, 2016
Thank you all for the love you've shown me so far concerning my blogposts on science, I appreciate. smiley

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by bkool7(m): 6:38pm On Sep 18, 2016
Many people have actually dodged bullets in real life. It's helps when you see when the shooter is about to shoot, with that you have some seconds to react ahead.
When you're being shot at, aways run away in zig zag. This leaves the shooter confused and directionless

#Modified

A bullet fails at both the criteria of ‘normal’ things that we discussed above; it is extraordinarily small and it moves….well, too damn fast!
Still, just for the sake of argument, can you dodge a bullet?
Well, yes. But that’s not a ‘yes’ that applies to every case; rather, it is a ‘yes’ that comes with a long list of caveats.

https://www.scienceabc.com/pure-sciences/can-you-dodge-a-bullet-fired-at-you.html

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by Harvest601(m): 6:46pm On Sep 18, 2016
oshey..make I sharply enter barrack and prove a point.

9 Likes

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by RobinHez(m): 6:58am On Sep 19, 2016
Harvest601:
oshey..make I sharply enter barrack and prove a point.
LOL, did you read the article? That's suicide mehn..

3 Likes

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by TheHood: 9:57am On Sep 19, 2016
Wow... This is the best science article I've read in a very long time, So cool..

Mixing humor with education nice formula. Op keep this up, and you have the average community at your back.

69 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by RobinHez(m): 10:34am On Sep 19, 2016
TheHood:
Wow... This is the best science article I've read in a very long time, So cool..

Mixing humor with education nice formula. Op keep this up, and you have the average community at your back.

Lalasticlala this should be on front page by now.
Thanks..

8 Likes

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by jaysparx(m): 10:34am On Sep 19, 2016
What if the person uses a machine gun

4 Likes

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by RobinHez(m): 10:42am On Sep 19, 2016
jaysparx:
What if the person uses a machine gun
LOL see question

2 Likes

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 19, 2016
I've dodged bullets

In mine dreams

1 Like

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by dharay99: 2:14pm On Sep 19, 2016
grin grin
Dodge bullet & dodge your remaining
days in life, #moviemaniac i pity ya..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by Minion1: 2:43pm On Sep 19, 2016
Lol, Lalasticlala come and dodge this grin

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by Ksslib(m): 3:36pm On Sep 19, 2016
Minion1:
Lol, Lalasticlala come and dodge this grin

Abeg allow him to atleast move this to FP first before taking him out . grin

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by bqlekan(m): 5:20pm On Sep 19, 2016
you can actually dodge bullets at night.. bullets are clearly visible at nights nah.. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 19, 2016
Lol,quite interesting

3 Likes

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by RobinHez(m): 6:40am On Sep 20, 2016
Lalasticlala FP pls, I spent so much energy on this ... cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by TheHood: 6:29am On Sep 21, 2016
Na wa o undecided

This is a very interesting article from the science section, Lalasticlala, mynd44, Dominique, anybody who can... Take this to the Frontpage.
Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by dharay99: 7:30am On Sep 21, 2016
angry
Lalasticlala never ship
this thing to FP since....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by herald9: 8:12am On Sep 21, 2016
I don't even want to sight a live bullet... talk less of dodging one sad

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by realestniggah: 11:53am On Sep 21, 2016
angry

in warri where i come from this is how we dodge bullet

[img]http://i./twpYnBnUobHRm.gif[/img] [img]http://i./ZGuCTJqQxefrq.gif[/img]

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by chimah3(m): 11:54am On Sep 21, 2016
But i dodge bullets everyday nau....

Bad belle bullets
Hate bullets

Name it.... grin grin grin

11 Likes

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by adwem2003(m): 11:54am On Sep 21, 2016
Because you won't even see d bullet itself.
Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by youngwarlocks: 11:55am On Sep 21, 2016
ok
Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by Adesiji77: 11:55am On Sep 21, 2016
cool

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by daclint(m): 11:56am On Sep 21, 2016
The shooter never hear about odeshi before ?
Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by Explorers(m): 11:57am On Sep 21, 2016
Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by Ranchhoddas: 11:58am On Sep 21, 2016
I don't dodge bullets. I catch them#ClarkKent
Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by Nairadays: 11:58am On Sep 21, 2016
Really educative. Thanks.

What's our visual reaction in the dream world? At least I have dodged bullets very well in the dream.

1 Like

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by DozieInc(m): 11:59am On Sep 21, 2016
OP tnx, but been shot at is not for me.
Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by Explorers(m): 11:59am On Sep 21, 2016
bkool7:
Many people have actually dodged bullets in real life. It's helps when you see when the shooter is about to shoot, with that you have some seconds to react ahead.
When you're being shot at, aways run away in zig zag. This leaves the shooter confused and directionless

Dont try that with White House Snipers.

8 Likes

Re: Why You Can't 'normally' Dodge A Bullet by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 21, 2016
see person wey neva enter gunfight dey talk ............na wa oooooooooo grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Aircraft Models-Builder, Abdullahi Lawal With El-Rufai. Photos / Two-Headed Pig Born In China / Big White Cockroaches ; Not The People From Your Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.