Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,898 members, 7,806,624 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:18 PM

8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session (27191 Views)

UNN Students Thrown Out Of The Hostel In Enugu (pics) / 10 Universities That Will Admit Highest Number Of Candidates For This Session / UNIBEN Students Generate “Supplementary” Income In The Hostel [PICS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 19, 2016
Now that a new session is on the verge of starting, I think this article will be helpful for those who are still cogitating between residing in the hostel or booking an off campus apartment.

Although, reasons like low cost of hostel space, adequate water and electricity dominate why one should opt for a space in the school's dormitory, but results from perusals have also depicted reason why people should eschew hostel residence. And here are they.

High Depredatory Tendencies
In the hostel your properties may be more vulnerable to kleptomaniacs, bibliokleptomaniacs and others who steal as a result of “rational” reasons. Two phones and other valuable properties were alleged stolen in my hostel room last session, which ultimately lead us to a security office of the school for further interrogations. I'm grateful that the issue was resolved, which saved our names from the blacklist of the school.

Congestion
Congestion has been a major deterrents to students. You find people amounting to a number of eight and above, squeezing themselves in one small room with their luggage, which could result to low ventilation, tight spaces for movements and so on.

Unpalatable Culinary Activities.
Although, some school managements are proactive and painstaking enough to provide designated rooms for cooking activities, but you still find some students in the hostel cooking in their rooms, which leads to unpalatable artificial circulation of heat within the room which also contributes to unwholesome living conditions in the hostel.

Bedbugs
Even a layman that isn't conversant with a school environment will agree that hostels are prone to bedbugs invasions. Bedbugs are small nocturnal insects of the family Cimicidae that feeds on the human bloods and other warm-blooded hosts. My experience in the hostel last session has shown that they can only be reduced in number, but with time, they will multiply and reemerge either by reproduction or by migration from other hostel rooms or amongst other bed spaces from within. So avoiding hostel, is another way of avoiding them.

High Tendency Of Residing With Moochers.
In the hostel, you find people who have the tendency to repeatedly ask you for help in finance, consumer goods and so on, even when they have, they still prefer your own.
It is good to be generous, but I don't support when people tend to abuse such generosity.

Guest Entertainment
You can comfortably entertain your guest outside the hostel in your room. Unlike the hostel where it seems like virtually everyone is a guest, thus you find it mundane to perfectly entertain the real guests. Even the environment alone might be a deterrent to entertaining of guests.

Movement Of Luggage At The End Of Semester/Session
We are all aware that students are ordered to vacate the hostel premises with their luggage and failure to do so within a stipulated date may lead to eviction or other forceful actions. The point is, it is easier to convey luggage back home because you may not need to move many luggage if you reside outside campus, you can leave the some behind because of worrying less about thieves coming to plunder on them while you are away. You lock them in your room, unlike in the hostel where you no longer have access to the room by the time the session ends, thus, it becomes exigent to convey many luggage back home.

Privacy
Issues like noise, meddling, taunting, daunting and so on are mitigated when living outside campus than within the hostel. It is believed that everyone desires some amount to privacy, so it will be better to shun hostel when have such desire.

These are many amongst other cogent reasons why residing in the hostel should not be prioritized. The trend is open to contributions cool.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Nobody: 10:11am On Sep 19, 2016
Post Retracted.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Francis95(m): 10:22am On Sep 19, 2016
Lol, Na Admission I need first oo embarassed

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Nobody: 10:25am On Sep 19, 2016
Post Annulled undecided .
Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Nobody: 10:26am On Sep 19, 2016
Francis95:
Lol, Na Admission I need first oo embarassed
receive it in Jesus name!

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by IamLukas(m): 10:33am On Sep 19, 2016
Nice points U have got here.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Francis95(m): 10:33am On Sep 19, 2016
blueto:
receive it in Jesus name!
AMEN oo cool

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by RobinHez(m): 10:35am On Sep 19, 2016
Nice points you've got there. This is so true of Hall 3, but many students don't have a choice.

i hope wouldn't attempt to desecrate the thread
this is not the best way to invite someone into ur thread.

5 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 19, 2016
Post Cancelled undecided .

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Nobody: 10:50am On Sep 19, 2016
RobinHez:
Nice points you've got there. This is so true of Hall 3, but many students don't have a choice.

that was just a satirical language, i think he would like it. let modify anyway, in case it seems offensive.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by SirDavico(m): 11:46am On Sep 19, 2016
Your points are quite cogent Oga Bluto. To me, hostel residence is a no-no.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by gloryaaa(f): 11:47am On Sep 19, 2016
Nyc points..

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by akinola107(m): 11:56am On Sep 19, 2016
Cool grin

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by bettercreature(m): 11:56am On Sep 19, 2016
Hostel is the best and will always be the best forever,Staying off campus always turn our children grin to prostitute,dont forget the issues of ''couples life'' and for security purpose
Just pray to God to give you financial power to send your children to best school

8 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by EmmaLege: 11:58am On Sep 19, 2016
You try cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Johnny19: 12:04pm On Sep 19, 2016
OP well noted

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Dottore: 12:05pm On Sep 19, 2016
Students oya take ovet

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by slowbreeze(f): 12:06pm On Sep 19, 2016
Nice points op,bt u shuld understand dat one mans meat is anodas poison..I stayed in hostel thruout my uni days,not because i culdnt afford offcampus houses,bt for personal reasons...Security,power , water and school social activities especially dose at nyt(which were fun)were tins i culdnt do witout and most off camp locations culdnt offer all.
As for overcrowding and privacy,One can always choose to organize ur room wit d hostel porters and stay with ppl of like minds dat dnt wish to share bed space wit anyone or allow squatters(like i did).....

9 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by gurunlocker: 12:07pm On Sep 19, 2016
Privacy.... you can't negotiate that with me

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Geofavor(m): 12:08pm On Sep 19, 2016
Bedbugs embarassed

Nice write-up, blueto. Considering your points, I'm sure everyone would prefer staying off campus, but not everyone can afford it.

How much would you budget if you're to rent a self-con not too far from school?

3 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by genearts(m): 12:10pm On Sep 19, 2016
Hostel is still the best place to stay.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Nobody: 12:13pm On Sep 19, 2016
Geofavor:
Bedbugs embarassed

Nice write-up, blueto. Considering your points, I'm sure everyone would prefer staying off campus, but not everyone can afford it.

How much would you budget if you're to rent a self-con not too far from school?
I think it should be around 50k-70k considering the current inflation and contractions.

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Venus007(f): 12:13pm On Sep 19, 2016
Well, I stay in NDDC. Im quite safe frm all these.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by XaintJoel20: 12:14pm On Sep 19, 2016
RobinHez:

You mean Hall 3 in Uniben?

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Geofavor(m): 12:14pm On Sep 19, 2016
slowbreeze:
Nice points op,bt u shuld understand dat one mans meat is anodas poison..I stayed in hostel thruout my uni days,not because i culdnt afford offcampus houses,bt for personal reasons...Security,power , water and school social activities especially dose at nyt(which were fun)were tins i culdnt do witout and most off camp locations culdnt offer all.
As for overcrowding and privacy, One can always choose to organize ur room wit d hostel porters and stay with ppl of like minds dat dnt wish to share bed space wit anyone or allow squatters(like i did).....
Guys are not like this.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Geofavor(m): 12:17pm On Sep 19, 2016
blueto:
I think it should be around 50k-70k considering the current inflation and contractions.
is this for a month or a year?

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by abdeiz(m): 12:17pm On Sep 19, 2016
off campus is the best #teamoffk

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Julietcutie(f): 12:19pm On Sep 19, 2016
very true... nice points op

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by bobbiekrantz: 12:21pm On Sep 19, 2016
Especially UNN hostels angry

1 Like

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 19, 2016
Geofavor:
is this for a month or a year?
A year na. Even children of all these looting politicians will not agree to pay that enormous sum for a single month cheesy.

3 Likes

Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Juniorbuba(m): 12:24pm On Sep 19, 2016
[quote author=blueto post=49488191]Now that a new session is on the verge of starting, I think this article will be helpful for those who are still cogitating between residing in the hostel or booking an off campus apartment.

Although, reasons like low cost of hostel space, adequate water and electricity dominate why one should opt for a space in the school's dormitory, but results from perusals have also depicted reason why people should eschew hostel residence. And here are they.

High Depredatory Tendencies
In the hostel your properties may be more vulnerable to kleptomaniacs, bibliokleptomaniacs and others who steal as a result of “rational” reasons. Two phones and other valuable properties were alleged stolen in my hostel room last session, which ultimately lead us to a security office of the school for further interrogations. I'm grateful that the issue was resolved, which saved our names from the blacklist of the school. U 4got to include cockroaches
Re: 8 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Residing In The Hostel This Session by Walexsammy(m): 12:28pm On Sep 19, 2016
bettercreature:
Hostel is the best and will always be the best forever,Staying off campus always turn our children grin to prostitute,dont forget the issues of ''couples life'' and for security purpose
Just pray to God to give you financial power to send your children to best school
Did you attend higher institution at all?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University / Check Absu Results Online Now / Policeman Fires At University Of Ibadan Student On Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.