Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,187 members, 7,807,634 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:38 PM

Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized (1226 Views)

Mamman Daura Plagiarized Obama's Speech For Buhari - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Plagiarized Charles De Gaulle's Quote: “I Belong To Nobody” - TheSignal / Lai Mohammed Plagiarized ‘Change Begins With Me’ From Proposal Submitted To Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Caseless: 11:05am On Sep 19, 2016
In 2008, then-candidate Obama was found to have plagiarized the speeches of former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick on a number of occasions.

“I am not asking anyone to take a chance on me, I’m asking you to take a chance on your own aspirations,” Patrick said in a speech delivered in June of 2006. Obama repeated the line verbatim in a speech in South Carolina in November of 2007. In addition, Obama’s famous refrain of “just words” in a 2008 speech was lifted directly from a speech Governor Patrick delivered in October of 2006.

Obama’s speech sounded similar to a speech given by Patrick in his 2006 campaign for governor, according to the video [of the speech).

“Don’t tell me words don’t matter! ‘I have a dream.’ Just words. ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.’ Just words. ‘We have nothing to fear but fear itself.’ Just words, just speeches,” Obama said in his speech.

Patrick used many of the same phrases in his speech.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal’ — just words. Just words. ‘We have nothing to fear but fear itself’-just words. ‘Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country’ — just words. ‘I have a dream’ — just words,” Patrick said in 2006.

And Mitchell Obama got her own

Michelle Obama: “…the world as it should be.” In 2008, the aspiring First Lady was accused by bloggers of lifting lines for her DNC speech from Saul Alinsky. Alinsky wrote, in Rules for Radicals (emphasis added): “The standards of judgment must be rooted in the whys and wherefores of life as it is lived, the world as it is, not our wished-for fantasy of the world as it should be.” Michelle Obama said: “And Barack stood up that day, and he spoke words that have stayed with me ever since. He talked about ‘the world as it is‘ and ‘the world as it should be.’” (Perhaps Mr. Obama who left out the attribution.)

This thread is not to support plagiarism, but we should learn to apply caution when accusing people of it.

In fact , if Obama is guilty of plagiarism he won't be spared. He or his campaign team practically waved the allegations by replying, I was inspired by them , or his campaign team coming to blame the whole thing on "poor footing". This is why it didn't go down well with me that the presidency had to come out to apologize. They could have gotten a technical line of defence just as those on the other side did.

If a speech is evergreen and captures situation at hand , it's right to use it but credit should be given to the original writer.
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Caseless: 11:27am On Sep 19, 2016
Mynd44 , lalasticlala , etc, if you guys have not done anything to shut those accusing buhari of plagiarism on Obama's speech and have been abusing the president, then this thread should be moved to the right place .
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by monkautos(m): 11:52am On Sep 19, 2016
guy take it easy na, buhari plagiarized....how difficult is it for you to live with it... the man has accepted apologised and moved on.... but you just dey kill yourself over nothing
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by limeta(f): 11:53am On Sep 19, 2016
Obama is not zoogaria president
the dullard buhari is,
Just in case you forget
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by idupaul: 11:57am On Sep 19, 2016
I hope you are getting paid
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by tobechi74: 12:00pm On Sep 19, 2016
as long as obama did it, it is aceptable abi
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Paperwhite(m): 12:01pm On Sep 19, 2016
This the abracadabra lifestyle of zombies. cry Talking as if Buhari start goofing today.Whoever did it wrongly commits an offense,but your demigod own is sickening.

1 Like

Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Caseless: 12:16pm On Sep 19, 2016
monkautos:
guy take it easy na, buhari plagiarized....how difficult is it for you to live with it... the man has accepted apologised and moved on.... but you just dey kill yourself over nothing
what's plagiarism in your own definition? If buhari is seen as a plagiarist today because Obama was seen in his speech , then what is Obama?

You people are the ones making a mountain out of a molehill.

1 Like

Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Caseless: 12:18pm On Sep 19, 2016
tobechi74:
as long as obama did it, it is aceptable abi
why are you people making it to seem as if it has never been done before . If it's a crime to read someone's line in your speech, who has ever been convicted for such crime?
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Caseless: 12:19pm On Sep 19, 2016
limeta:
Obama is not zoogaria president
the dullard buhari is,
Just in case you forget
no post describes someone who's intellectually arid than this.
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Caseless: 12:20pm On Sep 19, 2016
idupaul:
I hope you are getting paid
just like you get paid , right?

1 Like

Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Nobody: 12:21pm On Sep 19, 2016
It is not an offence to use another man's word if it accurately expresses your thought. What makes it an offence is to do so without acknowledging him.

The President goofed and has since apologized. There is no excuse for such gaffe.
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Caseless: 12:22pm On Sep 19, 2016
Paperwhite:
This the abracadabra lifestyle of zombies. cry Talking as if Buhari start goofing today.Whoever did it wrongly commits an offense,but your demigod own is sickening.
one of the "wealed" internet infestations who's yet to get over the defeat your IB suffered in the hands of buhari.
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Caseless: 12:27pm On Sep 19, 2016
bejeiodus:
It is not an offence to use another man's word if it accurately expresses your thought. What makes it an offence is to do so without acknowledging him.
sometimes, there is something called ad lib . If it's done ad libitum , especially when you know everyone is on the same page with you, you move on - even without acknowledgement .
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 19, 2016
Caseless:
sometimes, there is something called ad lib . If it's done ad libitum , especially when you know everyone is on the same page with you, you move on - even without acknowledgement .
Was the speech delivered ad lib? Of course, it wasn't. The President has realized his gaffe and has apologized. What are you on about then?

1 Like

Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Caseless: 12:45pm On Sep 19, 2016
bejeiodus:
Was the speech delivered ad lib? Of course, it wasn't. The President has realized his gaffe and has apologized. What are you on about then?
you don't make it seem it's an offence that has never been committed in the history of the world. Again, if having Obama's line in buhari's speech makes him a "dullard" , what does it make Obama?
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Bujumbura(m): 1:17pm On Sep 19, 2016
Caseless:
what's plagiarism in your own definition? If buhari is seen as a plagiarist today because Obama was seen in his speech , then what is Obama?

You people are the ones making a mountain out of a molehill.
please show me where Obama plagiarized buhari?

Also show me where he called Presinden Putin as Placenta when buhari is busy creating new countries West Germany and allocating President to them Michel
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by petrov10: 3:51pm On Sep 19, 2016
Caseless:
you don't make it seem it's an offence that has never been committed in the history of the world. Again, if having Obama's line in buhari's speech makes him a "dullard" , what does it make Obama?
diff btwn obama and dullardiho

Obama knew what he was saying. he's a vocal orator
he may have quoted the good governor. but like he said he was inspired by the govs words

dulardinho didn't even have a clue about what he was saying
he just read paper. if "I'm proud of my name dulardinho" was written on the sheet he would have reeled it out like that

it's an insult to compare prof Obama and certificateless dulardeen
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Caseless: 3:52pm On Sep 19, 2016
Bujumbura:
please show me where Obama plagiarized buhari?

Also show me where he called Presinden Putin as Placenta when buhari is busy creating new countries West Germany and allocating President to them Michel
you're diverting from the real issues.
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by drss2(m): 3:54pm On Sep 19, 2016
pay per post crew don show.
Re: Times Obama Himself And His Wife Plagiarized by Bujumbura(m): 5:03pm On Sep 19, 2016
Caseless:
you're diverting from the real issues.
mteww

(1) (Reply)

LASG Commissions Road In Makoko: SEE Shocking Pixs 3 Days After Commissioning / General #edodecides: Pdp's Ize-iyamu Humbles Apc's Obaseki At Polling Unit / After Rejecting Nigeria, Okonjo-iweala Bags BIG Appointment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.