Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,775 members, 7,806,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Idemudia The Village Boy - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Idemudia The Village Boy (3883 Views)

Nigerian Authors Commence Building Of Writers’ Village / Short Story: The Village Visitor / How The Witches Follow You From The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 7:41pm On Sep 19, 2016
Idemudia
Chapter One
The thick scent of _Igbo_ leaves hung in the air. Idemudia covered his nostrils with his right palm. The smell was repugnant; filling him with nausea. He knew the 'area boys' living inside the largest uncompleted building on his street were at it again. They smoked all day and night. Idemudia was under the impression that they even smoked in their dreams. He paused a bit, deciding on whether or not to go back home. He was certainly not in the mood to meet these boys right now. But he had to get _akamu_ from _Ini Paepae_, the only woman that sold the mashed corn paste on their Street. A child screamed in the distance as curses rained down in a feminine voice almost simultaneously.Idemudia smiled. These were usual morning sounds on Edakin Street. A skinny dog with reddish fur walked lazily to his side, eyeing him with sad eyes. After a moment, the dog lost interest in him and moved towards the uncompleted building. Taking that as a cue, Idemudia decided to move on.
"Hey! Come hia!"
Idemudia increased his pace, hoping the area boy would let him be as they sometimes did.
"You dey craze? I say come hia! Ona no dey fia face for dis strit again abi?"
Idemudia stooped in his tracks. He wanted to make a run for it. But that would be disastrous. It was better to play cool. "Bros me! Sorry o, I been no hear well." Idemudia said, as he touched his right knee with his right hand, in a gesture of obeisance.
The tall, lanky area boy walked towards Idemudia. "O boy, whia you dey go dis morning?"
"No where o!" Idemudia explained, scratching his head. "I jus wan buy akamu from Ini Paepae."
"How much den giyu for haus?"
"Na only fifty naira bros."
The area boy rubbed his dirty goatee. "Your mama dey drop small shayo sotimes for the boys. So... dey go. You get luck say no be Fryo catch you. Oya run," the area boy barked.
Idemudia took to his heels, heart racing. The skinny dog heard the boy's bark and ran after Idemudia, tail between its legs.
Idemudia was late again to school today. His parents had refused to give him any money to pay his fees; the very reason he'd been sent home the previous day. Was he supposed to pay with his fingers? He had decided to hang around the school compound instead. There was no point going inside, only to be driven out again.
"Hey. You, come here."
Idemudia looked up at the skinny boy standing over him. He could tell from the boy's long-sleeved white shirt and black trousers that he was a senior. How had the ugly senior discovered him here. Haba.
"So you are late to school, and you're hiding behind the fence, ehn? Come out here. Idiot! This is how you have been wasting your parent's money abi?" The senior said, eyeing Idemudia with disdain. "See the way you're even dressed sef. Is this the right colour of black shorts? Why is yours looking like cut and dye buba material?" The senior eyed him again. "And it's even tattered," he added.
"Senior, I have not paid my school fees..."
"Will you shut up there." The senior cut in. Did I ask you to talk?"
"But you have been asking questions na. Am I not supposed to answer?" Idemudia was getting angry.
"Oya lie down there. Quick! I'm talking you're talking?" The senior's right hand moved towards the belt hanging loosely around his waist.
Idemudia considered his options. Should he lie down and take the beating? Wouldn't it be so much easier to make a dash for it? He waited till the senior got closer.
"I said lie down here."
"Senior, if I tell you my situation now ehn? You will know that your current course of action is ill advised."
"What?!" The senior was bewildered. "Am I the one you're blowing grammar for? Do you know who I am?"
Idemudia decided against running away. He wasn't a coward. "Senior, I have not done anything wrong. Leave me alone. I like school, but my parents have not been able to pay my fees. That's why I'm outside."
The senior attempted to slap Idemudia, but Idemudia held his hand. "Senior, rest na. How would it sound if news goes around school that a junior student beat you up?"
The senior was taken aback. His eyes blazed in anger. "Wait till I get back, stupid boy."
"Don't worry senior. I won't be here when you return. Besides, if you go and tell your classmates what I said, I'd block you somewhere and break your legs." Idemudia picked up his dirty school bag and made his way back home. In the distance, the dog with the reddish fur waited...
Just testing my skills. I'm not sure I'll continue this story...
Hope you're having a great day?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by nicewater(m): 9:31pm On Sep 19, 2016
feeling yo bro..... more update pls. idemudia for show that senior iron monkey
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by Deo7(m): 10:57pm On Sep 19, 2016
Obhiaba (hope you understand Esan well grin),you've got great skills bro cool
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by Deo7(m): 10:59pm On Sep 19, 2016
Obhiaba (hope you understand Esan well grin)you've got great skills bro cool
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by jide219(m): 11:46pm On Sep 19, 2016
Guy come continue this story ooo
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by Vickiey192(f): 6:55am On Sep 20, 2016
Continue please
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 8:54am On Sep 20, 2016
If i dn't understand esan i dn't think i can understand anyothe lanquaqe

Deo7:
Obhiaba (hope you understand Esan well grin)you've got great skills bro cool
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by girlhaley(f): 8:03pm On Sep 20, 2016
Oya Broz.....come and continue what you started oh
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 6:56pm On Sep 22, 2016
Idemudia
Chapter Two
"Stop following me!" Idemudia shouted at the dog with reddish fur. "Ojiemhin! What kind of dog is this one sef?"
The dog moved back a few paces. It wagged its tail and moved in circles, sniffing at the bushes along the path. But as soon as the boy turned and resumed walking, the dog followed, undeterred.
Idemudia had other things on his mind at the moment. He knew the dog was still following, but he decided to let it be. Maybe it was lonely like him. Better still, maybe it was hungry. He remembered he still had a half-eaten ball of Akara inside his school bag. He took the battered bag down from his back, and reached inside. He felt around for some time till his fingers brushed against the warm bean cake. He brought it out and laid it gently on the ground. "Oya come and eat, bingooo."
The dog looked at the boy. The scent of the bean cake wafted towards its nostrils. The boy must have put food on the ground. Finally, the boy was gaining some sense. It had taken many tricks to finally get him to drop some food. The dog walked confidently to the half bean cake and ate it in seconds.
"Osenobulua!" Idemudia exclaimed, hands instinctively rising to his head. "So you have been hungry all this while. That's why you have been following me abi? Hmmm. So dogs eat Akara sef."
The dog looked at the boy with eager eyes. If he had more of the delicious thing he just dropped, he had better drop another. It couldn't understand all the noises the boy was making. But it didn't care.
"Stop looking at me o." Idemudia said to the dog. I just gave you the last piece of my breakfast."
The dog barked, danced around, then barked again.
Idemudia smiled for the first time that morning. He had made a friend for the first time in his life. "No, I won't call you Bingo. I will call you Fryo. Fryo, Friyo."
The dog barked.
"Smart dog. Oya, let's go," Idemudia said, as he ran ahead. The dog ran after him, enjoying the fun...
"Conye." A voice called out.
Idemudia stopped in his tracks for the second time that day. Not again.
"You deaf? I say conye!"
Idemudia smiled as he moved closer to the uncompleted building. He should have been beside the school fence now, if not because of the stupid senior that had wanted to punish him. "Bros mi. Na hail I dey hail before o. E be like say you no hear me dat time."
"Shorrup!" The voice ordered. A dirty and smallish boy emerged from the shadows. He moved closer to Idemudia. "You know who I be?"
"Yes bros. Na you get this area na. Dem never born who no know you bros. I hail bros."
"You know my name."
"Haaa, bros mi. Na you be Fryo. The one and only for the area."
The dog barked.
Idemudia flinched. He didn't dare turn around.
"Na your dog be dat?"
"No ooo!" Idemudia shouted. The thing just dey follow me since morning bros. Maybe e loss."
"Wetin be im name?"
"Ehn?"
"I say wetin you dey call am? You deaf?
"E never get name bros."
"No wahala. Giyan name o. You hia?"
"Yes bros."
"So you say you no me abi?"
"Dem never born who no know you bros. After you na you again."
"Good boy," Friyo said, obviously pleased that he was so well known.
"No be school cloth you wia so?"
"Yes bros."
"Wetin you con dey fain for the yard by dis taim."
"Bros mi. My people never fit pay school fees, so dem bin pursue me comot from school."
"Jesu!"Fryo exclaimed. "Dos pipo wiked o. Dem poshu you comot kpatakpata?"
"Yes bros."
"No wahala na. Siddon hia. Make I teach you sontins. Me sef na ticha. You no go pay shin shin."
Idemudia wanted to object but he had lost control of his mouth. He didn't realise when he eagerly said "no wahala bros. I dey with you."
As Fryo went back into the uncompleted building, Idemudia knew he would not leave that place the same.
To be continued...
Good day dear. Hope you had a great day? Please pray for the repose of the soul of Rev Fr Augustine Ebosele, who was laid to rest today.

1 Like

Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by Evakinqz: 4:37am On Sep 23, 2016
Nice piece bro, keep it coming
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by Deo7(m): 10:43am On Sep 23, 2016
Father ebosele undecided that name rings a bell, anyway bros o we share many things in common o first we are both Esan boys and now we are both catholics grin na uromi you dey?? And for the story Nice one you got there bro
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by fikfaknuel(f): 11:09am On Sep 23, 2016
abeg don't give up on this story oo. I like your narration and the humor you infuse in your writing.
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by saraphina(f): 11:11am On Sep 23, 2016
Deo7:
Father ebosele undecided that name rings a bell, anyway bros o we share many things in common o first we are both Esan boys and now we are both catholics grin na uromi you dey?? And for the story Nice one you got there bro

Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by Deo7(m): 8:18pm On Sep 23, 2016
[quote author=saraphina post=49603707][/quote] AHan!! I remember him now it's was an unfortunate incident tho may his Gentle soul Rest in peace..Amen
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by nicewater(m): 12:20am On Sep 24, 2016
nice one bro....
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 10:39pm On Sep 27, 2016
Idemudia
Chapter Three
"Hollam like guy man na. Shuo! Wetin dey work you sef?" Fryo asked Idemudia who was trying in vain to avoid the smoking wrap of Igbo leaves.
"Bros I beg. I no fit smoke ordinary cigar sef, not to talk of dis wan I beg."
"Shut up ma frend? Abi you dey Krays? I never big like you when I begin draw this maga. As I dey na ehn, I fit smoke for Africa. Abi you wan make I teach you the harder way?"
Idemudia reluctantly took the wrap of Igbo from Fryo. He eyed it the way a child without appetite eyes food. The smell turned his stomach. Then he put the wrapped paper to his mouth and sucked in the smoke.
"Korrect boy!" Fryo exclaimed. "See ha you drag the maga sef. Why you come dey yangan before na. You na natural born smoker o."
Idemudia could not reply. He was choking. He tried to breathe but to no avail. His head spun around like a DJs disc. He knew Fryo was saying something, but he couldn't make sense of it. His throat was burning. His eyes were smarting; the tears ran down his cheeks determinedly.
"Shuo. See this monkey o. You wan fall my hand? After I don praise you finish? Oya drag another wan. Make e relax your head."
Idemudia felt the wrap of Igbo leaves on his mouth again. Fryo held it for him this time. He took another drag. He couldn't tell if he did that of his own volition. It seemed he was no longer in control of his senses. He remembered sucking in the smoke repeatedly before he passed out.
"Ohis! Ohis ooo."
"Maaaa!" The seven year old boy answered as he ran inside the house. He had been trying to catch some of the Isikun flying about the orange electric bulb in front of the house. He loved roasted termites. They all did.
"Where your broda?"
"Ma?"
"I say where your broda? Abi you deaf?"
"I no deaf jor." Ohis muttered under his breath.
"Wetin you talk?"
"I say I no know ma." Ohis lied. He wanted to go back to what he was doing.
"Since morning? E never come from school since morning?"
"Ine. I no know na. No be the same school we dey go."
"Thunder fire dat your small mouth. No be me put una two for school? You tink say I no know say no be the same school una two dey go. Mtcheew!"
"Better carry lantern go dey shout e name for street o. No come dis haus if you no see am. You hia me? Na so e wan go join bad gang for street? Osenobulua!"
"Haaaa! Ine! Only me? Dis night? Fear no let me o. Eiye o!"
"Okay. Go carry your Papa follow body. You no see say I dey cook?" If na to go dey run round for street you no dey fear darkness o. Komon go find your broda before I change my mind."
Ohis took the lantern from where it was, lit it and went outside. He stood in front of their house and shouted his elder brother's name, his tiny voice an eerie shrill in the darkness. He looked with longing at the Isikun still flying about. He dropped the lantern, ran into the house, got a bucket of water and placed it directly under the light bulb. He knew some of the Isikun would definitely fall into the water. He took the lantern again and called his brother's name for good measure. Moving further down the street, he repeated the calls. In the darkness, he was like an under-aged town crier.
Idemudia felt a wet thing on his forehead. He swung his arm around his face protectively. But the wet thing licked his forehead again. Opening his eyes, he saw two shiny eyes staring back at him in the darkness. "Jesus Christ!" Idemudia shouted as he struggled to his feet. Was he having a nightmare? He could not make out where he was. He looked around, trying to make sense of his situation. Then he saw the shiny eyes again. Bingo! Realisation came rushing in. It was his dog that had been licking his face. He tried to spit on the ground, but his throat was dry. He took a step forward and shook his head from side to side. That was when he heard his name. Ohis? He tried to respond but he couldn't. He staggered forward, the sound of his brother's voice his only compass.
Ohis approached the uncompleted building in fear and trembling. His mother was so wicked. How could she ask a small boy like him to go search for his elder brother whom he knew could take care of himself? Now he had to go past the dreaded uncompleted building. He stopped for some seconds, unsure what to do next. But he remembered Ine had told him not to return without his brother. So he stood at a safe distance and shouted his brother's name with his tiny voice. He listened. Nothing moved. He took some steps forward and called the name again. Someone staggered out of the darkness. Ohis was so shocked, he threw the lantern away and ran for his dear life...
To be continued...
.mhi birthday was yesterday

1 Like

Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by Evakinqz: 8:30am On Sep 28, 2016
Happy birthday nice story jor...
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 9:56pm On Sep 28, 2016
Yer
Evakinqz:
Happy birthday nice story jor...
tnx 4 the birthday wishes.
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by nicewater(m): 9:28am On Oct 01, 2016
Nice writeup
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 8:04am On Oct 09, 2016
Idemudia
Chapter Four
Idemudia was amazed. Where was his little brother running off to? Was that not Ohis? He could have sworn he had heard his brother's voice. But his head was still a little fuzzy from the dual drags of Igbo he had been compelled to inhale that morning. He had probably imagined the whole thing. He waited a while to regain his breath. He was so weak and tired. He looked nervously over his shoulder, as though expecting Fryo or one of the other area boys to jump out of the darkness. When he was sure no one was coming, he went forward gingerly; one unsure step after another. The cool night breeze gently caressed his face, giving him some relief.
Bingo ran around in circles for a while before running off in the direction of an object ahead of them. Idemudia's gaze trailed after the dog. Was that not the lantern Ohis had abandoned? He hadn't imagined the whole thing after all. Bingo gave a surprised yelp when the bulb of the lantern burnt his nose. He jumped back a few paces, growled at the object and ran back towards the boy. Idemudia looked back at the uncompleted building. Had he slept outside it the whole day? There had been no sign of the area boys when he woke up. Maybe they were 'wasted' and still sleeping. God! He was hungry. His growling stomach confirmed it. He gently pressed his stomach down with his left palm as he walked toward the lantern. He picked it off the ground and walked towards home, with Bingo following closely at his heels.
In the darkness, a little boy sprinted through the street like an antelope running from a Lion. It was Ohis. He didn't need any lantern. The sense of danger had automatically switched his eyesight to "night vision." At some point he felt he was competing in their school's 100 meters race. It was not until he got to the house that he recalled Ine had been very clear about him not coming home alone. Ohis came to a screeching halt in front of their building. He looked over his shoulder for the first time, his breath rising and falling rapidly like sand dunes in the horizon of the harmattan breeze.
'Osenobulua mhen nan! Ireyu!' Ohis finally exclaimed. That was close. He was sure he outran the area boy. He smiled in the darkness; but not for long. The lantern! He had dropped the lantern. Hands on his head, Ohis began to retrace his steps. When it came to Ine, he could lie about Idemudia, but he will not succeed if he lied about the lantern. His night vision mode had gone off, and he could barely see in the dark. After some minutes of walking through the now silent street, he got scared. What if he ran into the area boys again? The thought had barely left him when he saw a lone figure striding towards him with a lantern. Ohis froze for a second. For the second time that night, the little boy took off again. This time he didn't stop until he was safely inside their house...
To be continued...

2 Likes

Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 8:25pm On Oct 09, 2016
Chapter Five
Idemudia
Ohis ran straight into Ine, who was making her way from the kitchen into the parlour. The collision knocked the pot she had been carrying to the floor, content spilling all over the place. Ohis fell to the ground simultaneously.He jumped away almost immediately as his hands and legs found hot slimy liquid. He tried to rub his palms on his clothes; the pain was almost unbearable.
"Osenobulua mhen na!" The woman screamed as she jumped backwards in reflex action. "Wetin dey do you dis boy?" She glared at her son in anger. “Now you don throway the whole soup. Ready for hunger. Idiot! Common get up dia."
Although Ohis' legs were smarting from the pain, he could not scream. He knew he was in soup, now that he had knocked down Ine's soup pot. He slid across the floor, towards one wall, and rested his back against it. Their parlour was not a big one. He had run into the room attempting to run through the other doorway out into their backyard. How was he to know Ine would come in at that exact time? Realising he had just dashed his family's hope for supper, he bore the pain, crawled on all fours back to the spot, picked up the half empty pot and attempted to pack the steamy Ogbolo soup back in.
"Commot dia jor." Ine said, knocking his hands off the pot in the process. "Na your soup for three days you throway so. And you wan even begin return am to the pot? Which kind monkey you be? You sure say na me born you? Oji'omon!"
As Ohis attempted to respond, his elder brother walked in.
Idemudia looked at his mother's face. He could not tell what the yelling was about. He moved his gaze from Ohis to the soup pot, and then to the substance on the floor. The aroma of Ogbolo soup filled the room, as his stomach growled in response. "Heo! Ine, who throway soup for ground na?"
"Thunder fire you dia, Monkey! Where you dey since morning? You think say you fit just enter house like Willie Willie come begin ask about soup? Abi you chop winch? And who give you dat lantern wey you carry?" The woman moved closer to Idemudia. "Oh, na you dey pursue dis small rat abi? Na you make am run come jam me throway soup, ehn? Na night dem dey play hide and seek?"
Idemudia felt the slap before he saw it. One minute Ine was standing close to him, the next minute, his face was smarting.
"Oh na! Wetin I do na?" Idemudia let the lantern drop as his hand instinctively flew to his face. The lantern, already cracked from the earlier fall, spun close to the mat on the ground. Kerosene spilled out onto the mat, and in a matter of seconds, it was on fire. It took a few seconds for the trio to figure out what was happening. The flame rose hungrily, engulfing half of the mat in seconds.
Ohis jumped off the floor, away from the fire; all thought of the spilled soup forgotten. He remembered he had left a bucket of water outside earlier. The bucket was still under the light bulb, though the light had long since gone. Pale silvery rays enabled him see his way. Picking up the bucket, he rushed back into the parlour and emptied the water on the mat, putting out the fire.
"Thank you my pikin," Ine said to Ohis. "You get sense pass dat your idiot broda. See as you stand dey look me like mirror. Mtchew!"
Adeh heard the commotion from outside. He was returning from Ini Paepae's hut, where he had gone to drink Kain Kain. He swayed from side to side, trying to get his balance. He couldn't understand why the ground was shifting. He had probably had too much to drink. His hand went to the doorpost, as he leaned heavily on it. After some seconds he went into the parlour. The stench of smoke hit his nostrils. "Weeetin ha-ha-peen hia?" He slurred. His mouth couldn't seem to frame the words properly. Going further into the room, he slipped on the Ogbolo soup on the ground. His legs gave way as he landed on the ground, skull crashing on the edge of their wooden table.
To be continued...
Hope you had a great day?
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 5:12pm On Oct 22, 2016
Idemudia

[b]Chapter Seven

Idemudia waited till school was over before he left the compound. He had been playing 'fetch' with Bingo the whole day. He would throw a piece of slipper he had found into the distance, and Bingo would eagerly run after it and return it to him, caught between its teeth; tail wagging, waiting till he threw it again. Who would have thought such a 'malnourished puppy' could understand English? Mr Ekatah was such a wicked man. Why would he refer to his Bingo as malnourished? Idemudia looked at the dog as it swayed like a drunk, in an attempt to keep pace with him. It was probably too tired from their excessive exercise. A sad smile crossed his face as he thought briefly about his dad. Idemudia banished the thought as soon as it surfaced. He didn't want to remember his dad; not right now. He had made sure to hide well behind the tall grasses just close to the rear gate during school hours. The grasses easily camouflaged him and Bingo. He didn't want any stupid senior reminding him he was just in JSS 3. If the school management had any sense they'd give him a scholarship or something. It was obvious he was from a poor family, but he wasn't poor upstairs.
"Idemudia!"
Idemudia turned.
"Please wait!" The feminine voice called again.
Idemudia saw Uyi running towards his direction. He looked around, trying to figure out where the young lady was headed. "Me?" He asked incredulously.
He could see that Uyi was out of breath. Maybe she'd been running. But why? She however found the strength to jump back a few paces when Bingo staggered towards her. Idemudia got a bit jealous. How can Bingo just walk off towards a total stranger like that? Was it not supposed to bark or something?
Idemudia's emotions instantly moved from jealousy to shyness. He wasn't good with girls. What did Uyi want now? "Don't worry, Bingo is a very friendly dog," he managed to say in a voice that was so unlike his, he could hardly believe it.

Idemudia raised his head and looked at Uyi. She always had a smile on her face. She wasn't one of those beautiful girls; but there was something about her dark and wide face that gave one the impression she had a good heart. She was one of those "happy-go" girls that exuded too much self-confidence. A part of him didn't want anything to do with such a person. He didn't like publicity. But another part longed to venture into her world. He wondered what it would be like. She wore the nicest uniforms, bought the most expensive things, and had a group of young girls constantly at her beck and call. Idemudia suddenly realised he'd been staring and dropped his face, totally embarrassed.

"You're staring at me ooo." Uyi remarked. She liked Idemudia, no doubt. She'd liked him since they were in JSS 1.The boy was so smart and intelligent. But he was also weird; always keeping to himself, not wanting to move with friends and all that.
"Sorry, Idemudia apologised."
Uyi started laughing, "Shuo! See how you serious sef. Ewoooo!" Uyi placed her chubby hands on her even chubbier waist line and regarded Idemudia again. Aside the near tattered but neat uniform, the boy was handsome. But too lean, just as thin as his dog. He needed food. They both needed good food. "Well, so Ekatah drove you again today, huh..." Uyi began.
Idemudia increased his pace a bit. Each second was more uncomfortable.
"Wait eee!" Uyi called after Idemudia, dragging him to a standstill. "I'm not here to profess my love for you, even though say dat one join small sha." She poked her tongue at him. "I'm really worried about you. What's the matter na? Tests begin next week Monday and here we are. You never still pay school fees. Don't miss test O!" Uyi pointed one robust warning finger at Idemudia's face.[/b]
Bingo looked from one person to another. Not fully able to comprehend what was going on, the dog staggered to a tree nearby and sat down determinedly. It raised it ears and dropped them almost immediately. Animal instinct revealed they'd be there for a while.
"It's not my fault. My parents can't afford it." Idemudia replied.
Uyi was quiet for a few seconds. "What if I pay the money for you?" She saw the look on Idemudia's face and continued, "Na borrow na. You can always return it when your parents bring it."
"Where will you get that kind of money?" Idemudia questioned. "Besides, I can't promise I'll ever be able to repay you..."
Uyi laughed again.
'If only she'd stop laughing like that', Idemudia prayed. He wanted to run home with Bingo. This fat girl was pestering his life.
"How much?" Uyi smirked. "Na fifteen thousand naira I no go fit pay? Abegi!"
"Okay, I'll think about it," Idemudia muttered.
"Okay ooo. Think am well o. No waste your future o."
The chatter of young ladies filled the path, and Uyi ran to meet them. In seconds, she was gone.

Many minutes later, Idemudia still sat beside Bingo in amazement, all thought of home forgotten. That was the first time in his life he had had such an informal conversation with a classmate without speaking pidgin English at all. Not even once did he get the urge to. He pinched himself. Then he pinched Bingo as well. The painful whelp of the dog convinced him he wasn't dreaming...

To be continued...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by Missmossy(f): 7:55pm On Oct 22, 2016
Poverty is a terrible disease. Nice piece, bring it on cheesy
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 9:31am On Oct 25, 2016
[b]Idemudia

Chapter Six

"Aba!" Idemudia shook his dad for the third time. "Aba?" This time, panic found its way to his voice. "Ine, Aba no dey talk ooo." The man lay where he had fallen, without moving a muscle.
"Why you dey tell me?" Ine asked in a tone of voice filled with emotion. "You no see as the whole place dey smell Kain Kain? Ehn? Even with the soup and smoke, the whole place still dey smell Kain Kain. You see your Papa life? Ehn? Make him kuku die if he wan die jor, ebiabo!" Ine huffed, as she walked out of the room. Her back was set straight in defiance. Idemudia stared at his mom's retreating back and sighed. He knew she still loved Aba deep down, even though the man had become such a nuisance.

Ohis picked up the bucket once more and emptied what was left of its contents on Aba's face. He wasn't doing any much talking tonight.
"Chai!" Adeh screamed awake. "You wan kill me, dis pikin?" He still could not fully process what was happening. He wondered why he was on the floor; but his head ached with vengeance when he tried to get up. He ran one palm over his soaked clothes and swore under his breath. His second attempt to get off the ground was as futile as the first.
Idemudia heaved a sigh of relief. At least, the man was alive. He had almost given him a scare.
"Aba why you go drink again na? You no see as Ine dey provoke for you?"
"Heeee Okosun!" Adeh exclaimed. "Na me you dey talk to like dat, dis pikin? Abi you smoke beans?"
Idemudia shook his head in anger. If only his dad knew what he had actually smoked. "I no smoke anything Aba. You no fit go dey drink everyday. The money wey you say you no get, no be wetin you dey go blow on top Ini Paepae Kain Kain so? Who Kain Kain don help? I no go pay school fees? Ohis no go go school? Which kain winch be all dis wan now, ehn?"
Adeh must have concluded he was having a bad dream, since he knew his son couldn't talk to him that way. So he concentrated on the primary task of getting off the floor.

Ohis couldn't quite tell what was happening. He went to the door to check if any Area boys were coming. There was none.
"Ides!" Ohis was still looking outside.
"Ehn?" Idemudia responded. Ohis was the only one that abbreviated his name that way. "Wetin you dey check for outside?"
"I been tink say one of dem Fryo people dey pursue me na. No be in make I pick race dat first time? Shuo! No be in make I jam Ine come throway soup the second time? Na im even make me throway lanta sef..."
"Mtchew!"Idemudia hissed. "Na me jor. See wetin you don cause na."
Ohis stood for a second as his seven year old brain tried to process how he had caused all the problems of the evening. "But no be me make Aba drink Kain Kain na?"
Idemudia stared at his younger brother, then at his father, who had finally succeeded in pushing himself off the floor, onto the tattered couch, and walked out the same door Ine had gone out of moments ago.

Ohis seemed confused. He stood for some time looking at Aba. The man had started snoring. "Aba, make I check wheda Ine go gree gimme food chop," Ohis blurted out as he too began going towards the back door. Just then, two bright eyes shone at the front doorway. Ohis stood transfixed for some seconds. Then he remembered the stories about witches and wizards Ine kept telling them. Convinced he was seeing a witch, he turned round and made a dash through the back door.
Bingo moved into the darkness of the room unhindered. In seconds, the dog had located the soup spilled on the floor and began its business of licking the floor clean. Then it moved to the half empty pot lying nearby.

Idemudia sat on one of the back rows in class the next day. He didn't want to be too conspicuous. He had come to school very early, and had totally avoided the uncompleted building. He had even refused to go to Ini Paepae for Akamu that morning. He didn't want anything to do with the woman responsible for his dad's constant drunken state. He still didn't have the money for his fees, but he hoped for a miracle. Maybe they'd let him stay in class this time.
"All stand!" The class prefect shouted.
Everyone stood up. "Good morning sir, we are happy to see you, God bless you sir, amen," they all chorused.
Idemudia stood up as well, but didn't join in the chorus. He tried to hide behind his colleagues. Mr Ekatah was perhaps the wickedest in his school, and he was their form teacher. Idemudia sighed as the man stood proudly as the class greeted him. Idemudia was convinced he'd be driven home again today.
"Please sit down," Mr Ekatah instructed. "Thank you very much. Now I couldn't help but notice a malnourished puppy hovering about the premises. Who's dog is that, and why was it brought to school?"
A pair of forty eyes turned in Idemudia's direction.
Idemudia was far away from the class. His mind had drifted to the events of the previous night. He had had to go to sleep hungry because Ine had gone into the kitchen, and instead of making fufu, had cradled the pestle and sobbed on it for the better part of the night. He had had to give Ohis something else to eat since Bingo had licked whatever was left of their soup. Above all, thoughts of Fryo had kept coming to his mind...
"Idemudia!" Mr Ekatah barked.
Idemudia jumped out of his reverie. "Yes sir!"
"Is that thing outside yours?"
"What thing sir?" Idemudia's gaze followed the man's pointing hand. Bingo!
"Oh yes sir."
"Would you please take that thing away from here?"
"Yes sir," Idemudia answered; "right away sir." He made to leave the classroom.
"Wait a minute!"
Idemudia stopped in his tracks.
"Have you paid your fees now?"
"No sir!"
"Dont return till you have it."
"Yes sir."
"Now get out and take that thing with you."

Uyi sat some paces from the front row. She looked at Idemudia as he walked out of the classroom for the third time that week. She made up her mind to do something about it...

To be continued...
[/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 9:32am On Oct 25, 2016
am sorry i missed chapter six... so i just decided to post t again
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by viktohmarkz(m): 7:02pm On Oct 25, 2016
nice one boss,buh it would be fair if you have us two updates a day. one morning one night...

how you see am.
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 7:10pm On Oct 25, 2016
That wn't b possible... Coz i have to qo to work as early as 6am and close 9pm.
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 9:27pm On Nov 09, 2016
Idemudia
Chapter Eight
Idemudia had his plan well thought out. He had even made sure Ohis rehearsed his part very well. He didn't want any mistakes. As they matched towards Ini Paepae's house that evening, the boy somehow convinced himself he was fighting a just cause. He couldn't bear to see Ine shed another tear over Papa's irresponsibility. He needed to do something about it. Since he could not convince his dad to stop going to Ini Paepae's, he would make sure he found a way to convince the source of the drinking instead. He would talk to Ini Paepae himself. He would threaten her if need be. The plan seemed stupid, but he was determined to give it a shot. He knew it wasn't Ini Paepae's fault that his dad was an alcoholic. But if Ini Paepae refused to sell Kain Kain to his dad, maybe the man would reconsider. Maybe he would just find another joint instead. Idemudia hoped not.
"Erm... Broda..." Ohis whispered behind Idemudia.
"Wetin?" Idemudia was irritated that his thoughts were being interrupted.
"Dis wan wey Bingo just dey run follow us, which wan be the dog own inside na?"
"Ohis, you no fit serious for once? Ehn? Which kain question be dat?"
"Sorry, no vex." Ohis apologised. He didn't like his elder brother's idea one bit. He didn't know why they had to come out to Ini Paepae's house in the first place. He couldn't even understand what Idemudia wanted him to do. He only pretended to understand. What was his business if Papa couldn't stop drinking Ini Paepae's Kain Kain?
"Ohis!" Idemudia's voice broke into the younger boy's train of thoughts.
"Broda."
"Focus! You no see say we don almost reach dia?"
Ohis looked ahead. How was he supposed to focus again? He could see Ini Paepae's hut in the distance. The evening chill raised up his buttonless shirt. His legs got heavy. He really wanted to return home. He was sure there'd be many Isikun flying around tonight. He needed to be at home to catch the termites. His elder brother was trying to make him grow up too fast. He didn't like it.
Idemudia left Ohis and Bingo outside, and went into the large drinking hut. The place was heavy with smoke; from regular cigarettes to Igbo. Tears instinctively rushed to his eyes. Idemudia waited till his sight adjusted to the semi darkness. There were people all over the place. He saw a couple of the girls that helped Ini Paepae run the place rushing from table to table, perspiration dropping from their frail bodies. But he couldn't see the woman anywhere. An old speaker blared some insane music into the air, raising an incomprehensible din. It was a madhouse. For a second Idemudia reconsidered his plans. Maybe it was better to abort the mission now that he still could. What if he ran into Fryo or any of his thugs here? This seemed like the kind of place to find them.
Idemudia shrugged off his hesitation. He was here already, and he intended to talk with the woman. He continued to look around.
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 9:29pm On Nov 09, 2016
Idemudia went out of the drinking hut through a back door. There were adjacent rooms just outside. From the noises coming from within the first one, he could tell there was someone there. Shoulders squared, Idemudia went closer to the room. He was about to knock when he noticed that the door was slightly open. He gently held the worn out door knob and pushed the wooden door inwards.
Ohis had forgotten what he was meant to do. Was he supposed to wait for sometime, then go round the back and cause a distraction? Something like that. Idemudia hadn't told him what distraction he was supposed to create. Well, he would just go around and see what happens. As Ohis made his move, Bingo growled.
"Bingo!" Ohis was not in the mood for dog play. "No shout follow me o." He raised a warning finger and waved it across Bingo's face. But the dog stood firm and growled again. This time a little louder. Ohis stood still for a second, trying to understand what had come over the dog. Bingo had seen his former owner; a lanky tobacco crazy hunter who couldn't stop drinking. After calculating the odds, the dog ran after the man. It figured today would be a good day to bite a huge chunk out of the old man's shrunken heels as payback for all the abuse it endured under him. Ohis didn't know what he was supposed to do now. Abandoning his brother's mission, he ran after Bingo, determined to cure it of its sudden illness.
Idemudia stood transfixed. His Dad seemed to be struggling with Ini Paepae inside the room. They didn't seem to have any clothes on. The sight before him didn't make any sense.
"Papa!" Idemudia screamed.
Ini Paepae jumped off the bed in a hurry. The look on her face was enough to convince Idemudia what kind of struggle he had just witnessed. He didn't wait to have the talk he had practised all evening. He couldn't wait to ask his Dad what he was doing in here with Ini Paepae. He cursed himself for coming here. He should have remained at home. As he walked away, someone's scream rose above the din . Then he heard a dog barking. Bingo! Idemudia ran into the drinking shed...
To be continued
Hope you had a great day?
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 1:53pm On Nov 30, 2016
Idemudia Chapter Nine Bingo refused to let go of the old man. The dog sank its teeth into his flesh and wriggled its head this way and that. It took a scream from Idemudia to get Bingo off the man. "Jesus Christ Bingo! Haba!" Idemudia shouted. He looked around in the semi darkness. Eyes were turned in their direction. He hadn't wanted too much attention tonight, but thanks to Bingo, they were now 'local celebrities'. Bingo growled one more time and stood erect with neck stuck out. It finally wagged its tail in acknowledgment of the younger boy. This man was lucky a better owner had come to the rescue. This would have been death for him. Bingo ran around in the confusion and took a leap out one of the windows. Idemudia was awed. He hadn't known Bingo could leap like that. It was amazing. Idemudia stared at the man for some seconds. He was in obvious pain. But there was no time to worry about that now. He needed to leave this place before it became too late. He decided to run out through the nearest door; it was a more reasonable option than the window. *** Ohis stepped aside as Bingo jumped out the window. Phew! What had happened? He had initially wanted to run after Bingo into the drinking shed, but thought better of it. There was no way he was going in there. He hated all such places of Igbo smoking and Kain Kain drinking. So he had waited outside. But seeing the way Bingo just jumped out of the place, and the sound of the commotion that carried simultaneously to his ears, he knew it was time for another sprint. He never wanted to come here in the first place. Removing his slippers from his feet, Ohis ran after Bingo. He was determined to overtake the dog... *** Uyi knocked on the door a second time. Still no answer. She was getting impatient. Two weeks had passed and no one had seen Idemudia in school. He never came back for the school fees she had been willing to lend him. He had even missed several tests. It was very unlike him. "Who be dat?" Uyi froze. "It's me ma. Uyi! Sorry o, I dey find Ides! Good afternoon ma." Uyi jerked her knees forward as she made the greeting. The middle aged woman was most probably Idemudia's mother. She noticed the striking resemblance immediately. "I been dey knock outside, but nobody answer, na im make I come backyard ma." "Ehen my dear. Good afternoon. Who be Ides?" "Idemudia ma. We dey go the same school and I been dey wonder why e stop to come class. E don miss many tests ma. And exam sef don dey come small small." The woman sighed. She bent down to pick up one more cloth from the bucket in front of her. Uyi rushed to her side and helped her spread the cloth. The woman smiled; a sad smile that didn't get to her face. Her lips only curved a little upwards. "My dear, Idemudia don change o. Since one night wey him come back from one place wit him small broda; since dat day I no know wetin happen. Him papa come house, beat am well well ehn? The boy come vex, shout for him Papa wella, come comot for house. How many I go fit talk? Since dat day Idemudia no dey talk to anybody for dis house. Even Ohis him small broda don tire. Me I just dey look o, since the boy no gree talk to me again." "Heeya!" Uyi didn't know what else to say. "Thank God say you come o. I don try to talk to am tire. Idemudia stubborn no be small. Wait small sha, whether e go come." "Okay ma. I go wait." Uyi continued helping Idemudia's mum with the clothes. She had immediately taken a liking to the older woman. *** Idemudia saw Uyi from a distance. She was sitting in front of their house, laughing and chatting with Ine as though she had known her forever. What was she doing here? Idemudia thought about returning to the uncompleted building, which had become a very useful part of his life these past days. Fryo and the other boys had been keeping him so busy, he had totally forgotten about school. But a part of him wanted to see Uyi again. A part of him wanted to remember school. Bingo seemed not to have any such reservations. The dog ran on ahead, barking and yelping with joy, tail wagging in the afternoon sun. Ine and Uyi looked in his direction. Idemudia had no choice but to comport himself becomingly as one step after another brought him closer to Uyi... To be continued...
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 1:54pm On Nov 30, 2016
Idemudia Chapter Ten "Are you angry that I came? Shuo!" Uyi fumed. "Kai, I be real mugu. I've been waiting here for over thirty minutes and you can't even say a kind word to me? What happened to 'it's so nice to see you? I'm sorry I've not been coming to school, or I apologise for throwing your offer in your face?' Instead, you're there, looking at me as though my coming to your house to check up on you was a sad mistake." Idemudia became more confused. He hadn't asked to see her in the first place na. What was she angry about? He had only asked what she was doing here. Why was that so wrong? "No worry o," Uyi continued. "Na go I dey so. Please take care of yourself. Your mum is a very kind woman, try to act like her sometimes. Nonsense!" Idemudia looked at Bingo for answers. But the dog wasted no time in trotting after Uyi, tail wagging energetically. "Bingo!" Idemudia called after the dog. It turned in a semi circle, seemingly undecided for a second, then it raised both ears in Idemudia's direction. It may have judged then that it was a better idea to follow the young lady, since the next second had it following Uyi once again. "Bingo!" The dog kept going. It knew the boy was stupid not to follow. *** Ohis stared at the scenario from the window through eyes struggling with dizziness. So Ides had a girlfriend? No wonder he's been running away from home. And he was forming that he was angry because Papa beat him up the other day. His elder brother was always behaving like he was the only one that had sense. Ohis stared at the girl's retreating back. She was too fat sha. Where had Ides gotten such a fat girlfriend? She reminded him of their roundish dark coloured drum of water at the backyard. The thought brought a smile to his lips, as the sleep cleared from his eyes. All these Ajebo children will never stop eating butter. Thank God he wasn't an Ajebo child. He couldn't imagine not being able to run, or play street football because of fat. But why had the drum girl been shouting na? Now she had spoilt his sleep and he wasn't sure he could sleep again that afternoon. Suddenly without warning, large drops of rain hit the roof. Strange! Rain? Inside this hot afternoon? Ohis opened the curtain wider. He was determined to see how the unfolding drama would end. *** Idemudia was at a loss. He knew Uyi wouldn't turn back, even though it had started raining. She was that proud. He'd have to go and beg her to come back. Biting his right Index finger, Idemudia ran inside the ran, towards Uyi and Bingo. *** Uyi was totally soaked. So was Bingo. But the dog wasn't done with the rain. It stood inside the downpour with dripping fur, howling at the skies like a demented creature. Idemudia smiled. "Please come inside for a change of clothes." Idemudia offered. "Never mind. Just give me one of your shirts. My skirt isn't that wet." As Idemudia went inside, Uyi smiled at her stupidity. What if Idemudia had not begged her to come back? Thank God o. She looked at Bingo. The dog seemed to like her. Well, at least there was something around here that wasn't too shy to show some care. "Bingo!" The dog wagged it's tail inside the rain. Idemudia returned with a towel and a neat shirt. "I am sorry Uyi. I shouldn't have been so cold." "Leave me jor." Uyi retorted. She took the towel and shirt and went inside the room Ides had entered a while ago. "Do you know where you're going?" Idemudia called after her. "Dey there na." She called back. Idemudia smiled. He quickly unwrapped a sachet of Tom Tom and placed it inside his mouth. He didn't want Uyi noticing any foul smell. Uyi came back and sat on one of the wooden stools, as her short chubby fingers deftly buttoned the last of the buttons on the shirt Idemudia had lent her. With her short hair she could have passed for a boy. "Just dey thank God for the rain o." She said, patting her low cut hair. Idemudia smiled. Uyi was such a character. "So how did you manage to know my house?" He asked. "Trust me na. A few questions here and there. I just asked around sha." "So what have you been discussing with my mum?" "That's not the point Ides. Have you been going about with these area boys? Drinking and smoking?" Idemudia dropped his gaze. He didn't like the way Uyi's large eyes were burning holes through his face like a night Policeman's torchlight. "Ides!" Idemudia remained silent. "Answer me jor." Uyi pressed. "You weren't even man enough to come and take the money for your fees. Now you've missed many tests. How do you intend to catch up? And you've been home destroying your destiny?" Idemudia had had enough. He stood up from the stool his mum had earlier sat on and took some paces away from Uyi, down the verandah. He was fighting to repress the anger he felt like hot liquid inside his veins. He caught sight of Ohis's face from the left corner of his eye. "Wetin you dey do for there?" Idemudia barked at his younger brother. Ohis quickly drew back the curtain and removed his face from the window. Uyi got up as well. "Idemudia, this is so unlike you. What has come over you?" "What do you know Uyi? Ehn! Wetin you know? My mum told you right? She told you I've been drinking and smoking and going around with area boys. But did she also tell you that we hardly have any food in this house? Ehn? Did she tell you? Did she tell you her husband is a perpetual Kain Kain addict, one who does not care at all about his family? You think everyone's dad is as rich as yours? You think life is as comfortable as it is for you? Tell me? Is your dad a drunk? Is your mum uneducated and jobless?" In few determined strides, Idemudia closed the distance between them. "You think your coming here makes my life better?" He increased his voice, almost drowning the now gentle rap of the rain on the roof. "Don't you see? I am a poor boy. No dreams and no future! Look around you. What do you see? Hopelessness! Yes! I drink and I smoke now. Those area boys have proven themselves better than my drunk and irresponsible dad. They're now my new found family, and there is nothing my mum, my dad or even you can do about it." Uyi stepped back many paces. Her confidence swerved, then failed. This had been a bad idea. The cold air hit her for the first time as a shiver went down her spine. This was not how she had envisaged this visit. She had to go home. Now! Without thinking, she ran inside the rain. Thankfully, her tears mingled with the raindrops. Idemudia sat down on the stool again. He had driven Uyi away. The only one who had shown any interest in his welfare. Placing his hands over his face, he cried like a baby... To be continued...
Re: Idemudia The Village Boy by collinometricx: 1:56pm On Nov 30, 2016
Idemudia . Chapter Eleven . "You smoke dry bins abi?" Fryo wasn't smiling. His matted hair stood tall and dry. His black lips tightened in a frown. His bloodshot eyes were even redder today. "Bros me, na you be Baba..." "Con, hollan. Jus hollan dia. Abi you dey krays? Na the simall maga wey you drag yestaday dey work you? So afta I don dry my energy train you to be beta area boi you no fia you stan dia dey vomit rubbish comot for your gutter?" Idemudia had known Fryo would be mad. But wasn't he overreacting? "Bros Fryo, Abeg no vex. I just say make I go back to school as my mumsi just gimme my school fees today," he lied. "Conye, shurrup! Close dat your gutter dia." Fryo looked sideways. "Mosquito!" The tall lanky area boy Idemudia had first seen many weeks ago came towards them. "Oya repeat wetin you talk jus na make mosquito hear. See your eye like panla. Bonga fish." Idemudia looked from one to the other. Then his eyes searched round for Bingo. The dog stood at attention some distance from them. Idemudia couldn't tell if it wanted to charge or run. "Talk e. Shuo!" Fryo seemed to be losing patience. "Bros mosquito," Idemudia made a deep bow, "I beg, I been dey tell Baba Fryo say I wan go school..." his voice trailed off. "Ehen? Dey go skul na. Dem use rope tie you?" Fryo got up from the rock he had been sitting on. "Haba! Mosquito! You chop winsh? Make e dey go abi? Jus like dat?" "Baba Fryo, no vex na." Mosquito pleaded. "After you na you again o. But the tin be say, make the boy go skul. You no understand? As e don already wear the cloth so ehn, make e just go. Him mumsi dey try. Dat woman don suffer ehn, no be small. You know him Popsi na, Kai! The man na real waste..." Idemudia flinched. "...You no see?" Mosquito continued. "Even dis boy dey shame for him popsi." He turned to Idemudia. "Guy no fear, your Papa no be you, you no be your papa. Do your own, leave the man mata for am." Mosquito turned to Fryo again. "Bros eh! No vex ehn? Allow am go. Na small pikin." Fryo wasn't pleased. But it seemed he had respect for Mosquito's counsel. "Okay o!" Fryo clapped his hands in the air. "I don comot my hand for dis mata o. Shey una dey hia?" Two other boys drinking Kain Kain under the cashew tree in front of the uncompleted building nodded in their direction. It didn't seem like they had any idea about what was going on in the first place. "If you cry conye again ehn, I go break you and dat your dry dog o. No more free Igbo o, you hia? No more shepe o." Fryo bent his head forward as his right hand dragged his right ear for emphasis. "Yes bros. I swear, I hear!" "Oya disappear..." Before Fryo could change his mind, Idemudia ran like a mad dog out of the compound. Bingo ran after him in hot pursuit. The dog loved it whenever the boy challenged him to morning exercises. *** Mr Ekatah walked into the classroom that morning with a smile playing around his lips. That was odd. He seemed to be in high spirits. After the students had greeted him as usual, he removed his old pair of glasses and sat down. "Since the dog is running outside the classroom again, I cannot but conclude that Idemudia is back to school. It seems the dog went to hospital with you Idemudia. It's almost looking healthy." Idemudia stood up. He had made sure Bingo was locked inside the gate man's house. How did it get outside his class again? He was so in trouble now. "I hope you're better now?" "Sir?" Idemudia had no idea what the man was talking about. Hospital? Better? "Never mind. Now that you're back from hospital you should prepare for the tests you missed." Idemudia continued staring at his form teacher. Did the man mistake him for someone else? He had spent the better part of the morning thinking of how to convince Mr Ekatah to accept him back to school without school fees... "And come for your receipt after the class." Idemudia nodded. "Yes sir!" He added quickly before sitting down. "Idemudia!" "Yes sir." Idemudia stood up again. His classmates were giggling and laughing at his expense. "Please go and get that thing out of there and come right back to class." "Yes sir." Idemudia ran out, almost hitting the door post in the process. The class erupted in laughter. *** "Uyi I am so sorry about yesterday." Idemudia began. It was break time and they were inside the school canteen. "Please forgive me." "Go jor!" Uyi laughed as she paid for two bottles of Coca-Cola. "Did you tell Mr Ekatah anything?" Idemudia couldn't believe his luck. "Shoo? Rest na. Okay, I did. Ehen?" "My school fees?" "Shey I told you I like you the other day." Uyi laughed again and moved towards a bamboo table and chairs. "You thought I was joking?" Idemudia was speechless. "Look I'm so glad you're back to school now. See? At least my waka yesterday no waste at all." Uyi added. "But..." "Yes I know, and I understand." Uyi was silent for a long time. "The thing is, Ides, don't just jump to conclusions. You don't know me yet." "I know, I know," Idemudia still felt a need to keep apologising, "I was stupid yesterday..." His voice trailed off. "No you weren't. You were just hurt. I was as well." Idemudia fought the urge to respond. "I never knew my dad." Uyi said after another long pause. "Don't look so surprised. And my mum has kids for five different men. That means I have half siblings all over the place. Sometimes it's very overwhelming and lonely at the same time. "Jesu!" Idemudia exclaimed. The bell marking the end of break time sounded at that point. Uyi got up. Idemudia rose as well. He had a sheepish look on his face. "You never hear anything o." Uyi said as she started running. "First to get to class," She shouted over her left shoulder. Idemudia ran after her, determined to lose the race. To be continued...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Looking For Professional Screenplay Writer Or Screenwriter Or Movie Script / [story] The New Form Teacher(rated: 18+)…part 14 FINAL PART / A Novel by Kayode Odusanya: In The World Of Three

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 219
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.