Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,605 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country (635 Views)

Magu: Buhari Has Lost Control Of His Govt., Former Nigerian Leaders Say / Uche Igwe Faults Call For Amaechi, Onu’s Arrest, Says NJC Playing ‘ostrich Game’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country by zeke100(m): 10:29pm On Sep 19, 2016
http://pulse.ng/bloggers/pulse-blogger-nigerian-leaders-are-playing-ostrich-game-with-the-country-id5507209.html

It saddens the heart to wake up to news credited to one of the present leaders saying that Nigeria is alright, are we?
The statement can be likened to playing the Ostrich game with the citizen. As noted by animal researchers, when there is a problem in the forest, an ostrich will search for a hip of sand that it can deep it's head into (leaving the remaining part of the body at risk) for safety.

With the present situation in Nigeria (which is getting worse by the day), it is obvious this is what our leaders are doing. Clearly, Nigeria is in an economic condition that is not fantastically okay and we are not proud of that but deceiving Nigerians make matters worse, this is because it will hinder the preparation for the coming days.

Blaming the past administration might be a nice idea in making the citizens realise that the situation left behind and met by the present administration is unsmiling but what the present administration is doing to get the nation out of this recession period which might slide towards depression as time goes on matters more.

From my point of view, this government fills round holes with square pegs. Taking a closer look at the economy of the nation, feeding cost sky is rocketing, provision of basic needs like a shelter for families among others are becoming unbearable for Nigerians daily.

Another major factor hiding in plain sight is the country’s “economic team”. An Economic team led by a lawyer, comprising of semi-qualified individuals in the time of recession is also to be blamed for our present state.

What happened to the youths the country gave an opportunity for a free or subsidised education and now have become experts in this aspect? China and other world ruling countries today were changed majorly by focusing on “human development” but the game of politics has neglected those we developed. This article is not written to discredit the economic team but to encourage them to sit up and give the opportunity to experts in the sector to contribute.

Inflation is not new in Nigeria but the double digit (17.5% as measured by experts) is new. Expert in the field associates the problem to the implementation of the treasury single account, saying “the disadvantage of the policy is greater than its advantage”. It is important to fight corruption to stand still but the issue of money creation implemented by commercial banks to create employment by supporting the entrepreneurs should not be left out.

As of today borrowing in banks will require an interest rate of about 25% which can only be paid by illegal business dealers like drug traffickers, and probably large, well-established business enterprise.

This write-up focuses on one of the numerous sectors in the countries that need overhauling which is the economy. The ostrich game must stop because corruption which the government is fighting is definitely fighting back in various dimensions. Immediate actions should be taken today to place the country on a better track; most of the neighbouring countries are looking up to this great nation. As the giant of Africa, we need to be a role model most especially in economic matters

Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country by rusher14: 11:35pm On Sep 19, 2016
[b]What do you produce to the rest of the world?

OK let's come local. What do you produce for the Nigerian market? For the Lagos market, Onitsha market?

If in London, New York, Dubai, Australasia, Belgium where would I find Made in Nigeria goods besides the African shops which are a novelty?

Who is government?

What policies presently harm your business or trade?

If your trade is about import as important as it may be, perhaps you are a contributor to the fall of the Naira and the exodus of forex.

If you export how have government policies hampered your trade?

Look at your house and tell me how many items in your room are made in Nigeria.

Let me guess: Bed, Table, Chair and maybe burglary proof frame.

Your clock, your table cloth, your rug, even your melamine plates are most likely imported.

If we don't manufacture how can we improve?

Don't tell me there's no power because the minute you come across some money the first investment that comes to your mind would be hotel or filling station and guess what? they both need power.

Get off your high horse and farm.

Produce flip flops, produce water bottles and flasks, produce air fresheners, produce belts . Can't you see nature has blessed you?

From nice scented plants, extracts of which are used in perfumery and saponification to cow hide and skins.

You have rubber trees but import tyres.

Damn, I'm tired.

[/b]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country by pxDharniel(m): 4:22am On Sep 20, 2016
Nice write-up but unfortunately that's all it would ever be! Our leaders know the right thing to do but selfish interest and nepotism wouldn't let them do anything worthwhile

Many of the members of the economic team are only there cos of political expediency and nepotism.

We need an economic team to implement favorable monetary regulations and focused on job creation and diversification in order to revamp our economy
Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country by sarrki(m): 4:27am On Sep 20, 2016
rusher14:

OK let's come local. What do you produce for the Nigerian market? For the Lagos market, Onitsha market?

If in London, New York, Dubai, Australasia, Belgium where would I find Made in Nigeria goods besides the African shops which are a novelty?

Who is government?

If your trade is about import as important as it may be, perhaps you are a contributor to the fall of the Naira and the exodus of forex.

Your clock, your table cloth, your rug, even your melamine plates are most likely imported.

Don't tell me there's no power because the minute you come across some money the first investment that comes to your mind would be hotel or filling station and guess what? they both need power.

Produce flip flops, produce water bottles and flasks, produce air fresheners, produce belts . Can't you see nature has blessed you?

From nice scented plants, extracts of which are used in perfumery and saponification to cow hide and skins.

Damn, I'm tired.

[/b]
Thank for this wonderful piece

Most of our sudden millionaires & Billionaires during the

last administration didn't use

The money looted from the treasury well

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country by Standing5(m): 4:32am On Sep 20, 2016
rusher14:

Who is government?

Damn, I'm tired.

[/b]
Be careful how you dish the truth around here. It attracts haters.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country by Nobody: 5:05am On Sep 20, 2016
@rusher14, it seems you stay outside these shores or don't understand how difficult it is to start up a small scale business in Nigeria. Nigerians are one of the most productive people in the world. Take a trip around the country and see millions of energetic people walking about with ideas in their heads. What has been lacking over the years is the attempt to harness the skill and creativity of the people to set Nigeria on the path of accelerated growth.

You can't keep producing an item which can be cheaply imported from China.
You also mentioned the people's penchant for foreign goods but you failed to acknowledge that most government contracts are given to expatriates.

A nation is at the mercy of the decisions and actions her leaders take. Let the government make Inosson the official vehicle of the federal government and you will see that Toyota and Honda cars will become an unusual sight on our roads.

OP, all you wrote up there are the usual lamentations that fill many mouths these days. You only gave a diagnosis of the problems but no prescription.
Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country by pxDharniel(m): 5:15am On Sep 20, 2016
rusher14:

Who is government?

Damn, I'm tired.

[/b]

You've spoken well but what do you produce yourself? And do you think nigerians will not embrace local production if it were favorable for them?
Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country by sarrki(m): 5:31am On Sep 20, 2016
pxDharniel:

You've spoken well but what do you produce yourself? And do you think nigerians will not embrace local production if it were favorable for them?

Comfirmed & Solid Wailers spotted
Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country by eldon190: 5:42am On Sep 20, 2016
test
Re: Nigerian Leaders Are Playing 'ostrich Game' With The Country by pxDharniel(m): 5:46am On Sep 20, 2016
sarrki:

Comfirmed & Solid Wailers spotted

Very lame! I can see its hard for you to get the big picture when you have such a small screen!

(1) (Reply)

FINALLY: Senate Rejects Sales Of National Assets, Asks Buhari To Dialogue With M / Biafran Shoemaker Wants To Make One For Nigerian President Buhari / NAF Receive Certificate 4 Production Of Hydraulic Diaphragm Of Mi-35P Helicopter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.