Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,633 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics (14537 Views)

Dorcas Oche Graduates With First Class In Pharmacy From Rajiv Gandhi University / History Produces First Class In University Of Calabar (Photos) / Nigerian Lady Bags 1st Class In BSc & Distinction In MSc Outside Nigeria(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by saintsam(m): 10:01pm On Sep 22, 2016
baum1:

Good luck with your plan. Just don't go too wide.
Ask those who came close what they would have done if they were to start all over again.
BEd is tough. Take courses from science and then take from education, not easy.
When you achieve your aim, send me an email again. With a first class in math edu, and the help of the Lord, I can place you into a university of your choice. Think Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, MIT. And yes, I mean it.
So, go fight like a lion and achieve your goals.
Dharneehell:
I'm not through yet, I'm on it now. I just hope the offer lasts after I'm done?
I'm a first class holder in B.Sc. (Ed) mathematics. I'm interested.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:15am On Sep 23, 2016
saintsam:
Making a first class in mathematics education is not easy but it can be done. Study hard and practise always.

Thanks!
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:18am On Sep 23, 2016
saintsam:

Kindly share your wealth of experience.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:19am On Sep 23, 2016
saintsam:

I'll pm you if you don't mind.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by YemziAdez(m): 8:26am On Sep 23, 2016
[quote author=baum1 post=49536629]

Good luck with your plan. Just don't go too wide.

Ask those who came close what they would have done if they were to start all over again.

BEd is tough. Take courses from science and then take from education, not easy.

When you achieve your aim, send me an email again. With a first class in math edu, and the help of the Lord, I can place you into a university of your choice. Think Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, MIT. And yes, I mean it.

Good morning Sir, please I'm a fresh graduate from UNIBEN with a First class degree in Environmental Biology, pls I need help in studying abroad but I and my parents have issues with funds, can you help me please?
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by saintsam(m): 1:01pm On Sep 23, 2016
Kenny4lyfe:

It all started with the desire to be the best. I utilize my 100level very well, lifting a 5.0 cgpa to 200l. But 200level was really tough. That was where mathematics started (smiles). The best I could do was a 4.43. I realized I have to change my strategy and so during the holiday b4 300level, I stayed behind and study assidiously. I read wide, practise on a daily basis, resolve past questions and pray always. 300level first semester became one of the best semesters for me. I hit a 4.90 gpa and 4.74 cgpa. From then on, I maintained it till I graduated with a 4.71. Now, let me give u some tips. (1) Prove to yourself that u have d needed intelligence for a first class. Ur IQ must be pretty much above average especially in a subject like mathematics. (2) Be prepared 2 fight 4 it. No university will hand over first class degree 2 u on a platter of gold. The system will extract blood from u (smiles). U will need to do what ur coursemates are not doing. U must go d extra mile. (3) Keep urself motivated. There are two types of motivation, intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic motivation is d type that comes frm within e.g a sense of fulfillment while extrinsic is based on extraneous factors e.g being recognised as d best. Look 4 somthn dat will keep u motivated. (4) Teach your coursemates and be very humble about. (5) Do not get too close to your lecturers and also dnt get too far frm them. Strike a balance. (6) Commit all ur efforts unto God. The race is nt 2 d swift neither the battle 2 d strong bt time and chance happen 2 them all. See u at d top.

7 Likes

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 3:14pm On Sep 23, 2016
saintsam:
It all started with 1. the desire to be the best. I utilize my 100level very well, lifting a 5.0 cgpa to 200l. But 200level was really tough. That was where mathematics started (smiles). The best I could do was a 4.43. I realized I have to change my strategy and so during the holiday b4 300level, 2. I stayed behind and study assidiously. I read wide, practise on a daily basis, resolve past questions and pray always. 300level first semester became one of the best semesters for me. I hit a 4.90 gpa and 4.74 cgpa. From then on, I maintained it till I graduated with a 4.71. Now, let me give u some tips.
3. Prove to yourself that u have d needed intelligence for a first class. Ur IQ must be pretty much above average especially in a subject like mathematics.
4. Be prepared 2 fight 4 it. No university will hand over first class degree 2 u on a platter of gold. The system will extract blood from u (smiles). U will need to do what ur coursemates are not doing. U must go d extra mile.
5. Keep urself motivated: There are two types of motivation, intrinsic and extrinsic.
Intrinsic motivation is d type that comes frm within e.g a sense of fulfillment while extrinsic is based on extraneous factors e.g being recognised as d best. Look 4 somthn dat will keep u motivated.
6. Teach your coursemates and be very humble about.
7. Do not get too close to your lecturers and also dnt get too far frm them. Strike a balance.
8. Commit all ur efforts unto God. The race is nt 2 d swift neither the battle 2 d strong bt time and chance happen 2 them all. See u at d top.

Thanks alot!!! grin
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Nobody: 5:44am On Oct 01, 2016
I'm happy for coming accross this thread. I'm also an undergraduate in a private university. Thanks everyone.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by horlawharley(m): 6:06am On Oct 01, 2016
#registered#
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:32pm On Feb 03, 2017
My 100L Second Semester examinations currently on-going. My final paper is on 17th Feb.

Update of my CGPA will be posted once it's out. This is so as to match action with words!
1st class in my field of study is doable. The foundation is being layed. Cheers!
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Francis95(m): 12:39am On Feb 04, 2017
Kenny4lyfe:
My 100L Second Semester examinations currently on-going. My final paper is on 17th Feb.

Update of my CGPA will be posted once it's out. This is so as to match action with words!
1st class in my field of study is doable. The foundation is being layed. Cheers!

Education courses are so much underated, why?
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 1:14am On Feb 04, 2017
Francis95:

Education courses are so much underated, why?

I think it's because our society doesn't place much value on teachers and the teaching profession. It's sad though!
The fact that most readily available job for young graduates today is the teaching profession cannot be over emphasised. I have a brother who has masters degree in Botany. He's a teacher now. I then begin to wonder why he didn't opt for Education course from the onset. He'd have made a carrier out of it. I pray our people and leaders see the light soon.
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Francis95(m): 8:22am On Feb 04, 2017
Kenny4lyfe:

I think it's because our society doesn't place much value on teachers and the teaching profession. It's sad though!
The fact that most readily available job for young graduates today is the teaching profession cannot be over emphasised. I have a brother who has masters degree in Botany. He's a teacher now. I then begin to wonder why he didn't opt for Education course from the onset. He'd have made a carrier out of it. I pray our people and leaders see the light soon.

Yea... If one studies Education course as an undergraduate , can the person switch to Non education course when he/she wants to go for Masters degree?
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:30am On Feb 04, 2017
Francis95:

Yea... If one studies Education course as an undergraduate , can the person switch to Non education course when he/she wants to go for Masters degree?

Yes you can.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:14am On Feb 18, 2017
I rounded up my 100L second semester examinations yesterday. Glory to God.

While I wait for the official release of both my first semester and second semester 100L results, preparations have started in earnest for my 200L first semester courses, especially my departmental courses.

List of my 200L Second Semester Courses

1. EDU 231- Citizenship and Moral Education
2. EDU 241- Curriculum and Instruction
3. TEE 221- Introduction to Science Education
4. GST 222- Peace and Conflict Resolution
5. MTH 211- Mathematical Methods I
6. MTH 223- Set, Logic and Algebra
7. MTH 235- Linear Algebra

A total of seven courses.

Our second semester break will not be up to (maybe bearly) 4 weeks this time. The school admin is rushing us due to a five-month strike that hampered our academic calender last year. So, it is widely believed that by December 2017, the 2015 set of undergraduates will be in first semester 300L.
What this means is that our 200L will run from April to at least November ending. The two semesters in 200L will run for *seven month*! So help me God!

I'm not going to relent in my preparations for 200L first semester. Though I will touch on all this courses but much more on the MTH courses for reasons I will state in my next post.

The goal is in sight, the stage is set, the materials within reach (thanks to pdf materials courtesy google) and the expected outcome certain.

Most of all, I know that: with Christ in me, winning is sure. Amen!

To all those following my updates I say- Thank you!!!

I need advice and opinions from scholars in the house though.
cc @fynestboi, @olawalebabs, @Richiez

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by kennyjam: 9:23am On Feb 18, 2017
I'm behind you Mr Kenny4lyf

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 18, 2017
Following.....

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by SetrakusRa(m): 6:25pm On Feb 18, 2017
@Kenny4lyfe

i really love what you're doing.. With such determination, you'll surely graduate with First Class easily.

Am a 3rd year Computer Sci. student. I did 3 of those courses (4-7) in my 2nd year and i got As in all of them.. That semester was the most interesting and i'll confidently say, the easiest while at school.

I use the first week ONLY to watch movies and "flex". The next two weeks was intense studying, particularly the Maths courses. I studied so hard that i was solving imaginary Math Method problems while sleeping/walking (i mean this). Before lectures got serious, i already had confidence in every single course, i was more interested who and how the lecturer would take them.

My point is, try to gain confidence in each course immediately the semester starts. I didn't know about this in my 100 first semester (4.35), i learnt from my mistakes and improved 2nd semester (4.77).

I've learnt from my 100L mistakes and my 200L first semester was better (4.81). Keep learning from mistakes, you'll keep improving, trust me.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 6:39pm On Feb 18, 2017
kennyjam:
I'm behind you Mr Kenny4lyf

Thanks bro! Wishing you the best as well!
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 6:40pm On Feb 18, 2017
Capziggle:
Following.....

Ok! You're welcome @Capziggle

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 6:47pm On Feb 18, 2017
SetrakusRa:
@Kenny4lyfe

i really love what you're doing.. With such determination, you'll surely graduate with First Class easily.

Am a 3rd year Computer Sci. student. I did 3 of those courses (4-7) in my 2nd year and i got As in all of them.. That semester was the most interesting and i'll confidently say, the easiest while at school.

I use the first week ONLY to watch movies and "flex". The next two weeks was intense studying, particularly the Maths courses. I studied so hard that i was solving imaginary Math Method problems while sleeping/walking (i mean this). Before lectures got serious, i already had confidence in every single course, i was more interested who and how the lecturer would take them.

My point is, try to gain confidence in each course immediately the semester starts. I didn't know about this in my 100 first semester (4.35), i learnt from my mistakes and improved 2nd semester (4.77).

I've learnt from my 100L mistakes and my 200L first semester was better (4.81). Keep learning from mistakes, you'll keep improving, trust me.

Wow! That's great!
Awesomeness is in you @SetracusRa
Your contributions as per experience is inestimable. Thanks alot and I hope to learn more from you.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by SetrakusRa(m): 6:59pm On Feb 18, 2017
I'll advice you do some of these:

1. Pick your friends, don't let them pick you.

2. Its not to just Work Hard, but Work Smart. (that's the difference btw students who read hard and get average results, and those who read average and get wonder results.)

3. Find motivation. (its like the fuel of any successful person. it keeps you in check when your will power nears rock bottom) see blogs like www.jarushub.com or read self-development articles on www.medium.com

4. Love your Course. Find passion for it.

5. Get lots of course materials. One is never enough.

6. Be competative. I have a coursemate who beats me every semester, i take him as a rival and that pushes me to be better. I'll certainly beat him soon sha.

7. Remember where you come from and ENJOY school. (i have a girlfriend and i goto several parties. Those can't stop me from getting a First Class. I have priorities, so should you)

Try get these materials for those courses:

Set Logic - Shuams Outline: Essential Mathematics for Computers.

Linear Algebra - Shuams Outline: Linear Algebra

Mathematical Method - Engineering Mathematics, Advanced Engineering Maths, Applied Maths 2.

Solve the most difficult problems not the easiest. That way, you will never be suprised by what you see in exams.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:07pm On Feb 18, 2017
SetrakusRa:
I'll advice you do some of these:

1. pick your friends, don't let them pick you.

This is exactly one of the things I was gonna address in my next post. I'd share my experience so far and your advice above has already summed up what I intended. Thanks!

2. Its not to just Work Hard, but Work Smart. (that's the difference btw students who read hard and get average results, and those who read average and get wonder results.)

I agree with you. To work hard is a necessity, but to work smart requires wisdom (as a child of God, that's why I have the Holy Ghost). I've resolved to be as wise as a snake believe me! Haha!

3. Find motivation. (its like the fuel of any successful person. it keeps you in check when your will power nears rock bottom). See blogs like www.jarushub.com or read self-development articles on www.medium.com

My first source of motivation is God. I got myself committed in God's house immediately I resumed on campus. (I'm an instrumentalist/singer). My second source of motivation is this thread; the Bible says, "write down the vision, make it plain..." (I'll quote the verse later). I read alot of motivational/religious books (especially those written by Rev. Chris Oyakhilome, Joyce Meyer, Ben Carson etc.). Thirdly whenever my zeal tends to be declining and I visit this thread, I get fired up! Sharp-sharp!
I will visit those blogs you mentioned too. Many thanks!

4. Love your Course. Find passion for it.

Now, this is one truth I've always known but I haven't practiced it in a while (not since secondary school) and I find this invaluable. I intended to up my game this time. I'm even organising free Math tutorial for WAEC students in my church during this break. I will also do the same for 100L students once we resume. I know it'll help me alot. Thanks!

5. Get lots of course materials. One is never enough.

This is one area where, not just me but all my coursemates have challenges. A whole university liberary no get materials and past questions on Math courses. It's amazing. All we do is borrow and photocopy from our engineering friends. But that in anyway is no excuse as far as my intentions are concerned. I will ensure I get course materials both online and printed materials.

6. Be competative. I have a coursemate who beats me every semester, i take him as a rival and that pushes me to be better. I'll certainly beat him soon sha.

I say a big "YES" to this one. I intend to be a silent acheiver, No chest beating and no noise making (the empty cans makes the loudest noise anyway). I will be friendly though but with wisdom (some people are leaches).

7. Remember where you come from and ENJOY school. (i have a girlfriend and i goto several parties. Those can't stop me from getting a First Class. I have priorities, so should you)

I remind myself of who I am and where I'm from everyday (that's my daily guiding principle during morning devotion). Girlfriends? Naaah! They flock around me but I "run". When a girl tries to get too close, I talk to her to know what her intensions are. I'm not permitted to be in a relationship with the opposite sex right now. My success depends on it 'cus they can be pretty distractive and burdensome (Valentine experiences easily comes to mind lolz).
What's good for you might not be good for me anyway. So, thanks still!

Try get these materials for those courses:

Set Logic - Shuams Outline: Essential Mathematics for Computers.

Linear Algebra - Shuams Outline: Linear Algebra

Mathematical Method - Engineering Mathematics, Advanced Engineering Maths, Applied Maths 2.

Solve the most difficult problems not the easiest. That way, you will never be suprised by what you see in exams.

Thank you! Thank you!! And thank you again!!! Your advice has proven to be a treasure of inestimable value to me. I'm most delighted! God bless you! I go shop rice during your convocation oh!
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by immaq8(f): 8:09pm On Feb 18, 2017
fernandoc:
Engineering Maths by K.A stroud. Adv Engr Maths by H.K Dass Shaums Series in Statistics, Linear Algebra and Trigonometry. Real Analysis (yet to see a simplified textbook on that) just get anyone and start practicing.
These books are the reason I graduated 4th best in my department. BSc. Mathematics
they also helped me but in Actuarial maths Mr. Charles refused to let go coz he used textbks met for PHD. level #i representUnizik 2010.

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by SetrakusRa(m): 8:32pm On Feb 18, 2017
@Kenny4lyfe

i'm glad you find this useful. Am very sure you'll succeed in these path you've taken. Do update us on how it goes from time to time.

LOL, we go chop more than rice that day IJN.

Wish you all the best bro.

2 Likes

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 8:48pm On Feb 18, 2017
SetrakusRa:
@Kenny4lyfe

i'm glad you find this useful. Am very sure you'll succeed in these path you've taken. Do update us on how it goes from time to time.

LOL, we go chop more than rice that day IJN.

Wish you all the best bro.

Amen! Thanks!

I will keep you updated for sure!
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by killsmith(f): 8:58pm On Feb 18, 2017
My advice for you....forget about first class....

All you need to do...is love mathematics... Make it your best friend.... Your family....the reason you live...

True happiness isn't making your girlfriend happy...

True happiness is constructing a correct and elegant mathematical proof all by yourself....

Pray against wicked lecturers....cos bad grades could be discouraging....

Iif you're stuck while reading real analysis grin or abstract algebra...close the book...take a stroll and come back to the book..works perfectly for me

Going deep could be fun and scary....but it'd be worth it...

All the best hombre
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 10:06pm On Feb 18, 2017
killsmith:
My advice for you....forget about first class....

All you need to do...is love mathematics... Make it your best friend.... Your family....the reason you live...

True happiness isn't making your girlfriend happy...

True happiness is constructing a correct and elegant mathematical proof all by yourself....

Pray against wicked lecturers....cos bad grades could be discouraging....

Iif you're stuck while reading real analysis grin or abstract algebra...close the book...take a stroll and come back to the book..works perfectly for me

Going deep could be fun and scary....but it'd be worth it...

All the best hombre

How can I possibly forget about a desired result (a set goal)? To forget about it is to lose focus. I'd have preferred not be anxious about making a first-class (now, that's better).

Girlfriend no go buy me the latest mecedez benz not to talk of satisfying one (any campus girl that pose as a friend always turns out to be a leach, sucking you dry) so, getting one is not part of my 7 Point Agenda.

I need you to tell me more about that part where I will construct Mathematical proofs.

As for wicked lecturers, they don't scare me, I perform even better with them but any lecturer with evil intension towards me and my academic success will never come my way. I'm sure of that.

I love Mathematics and I will grow my love for her still!

Thanks for your advice. They are precious!
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by eventsms(m): 8:04am On Feb 19, 2017
recent project materials and topics for all discipline www.easyprojectmaterial.com
Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by kennyjam: 12:22pm On Feb 19, 2017
saintsam:
It all started with the desire to be the best. I utilize my 100level very well, lifting a 5.0 cgpa to 200l. But 200level was really tough. That was where mathematics started (smiles). The best I could do was a 4.43. I realized I have to change my strategy and so during the holiday b4 300level, I stayed behind and study assidiously. I read wide, practise on a daily basis, resolve past questions and pray always. 300level first semester became one of the best semesters for me. I hit a 4.90 gpa and 4.74 cgpa. From then on, I maintained it till I graduated with a 4.71. Now, let me give u some tips. (1) Prove to yourself that u have d needed intelligence for a first class. Ur IQ must be pretty much above average especially in a subject like mathematics. (2) Be prepared 2 fight 4 it. No university will hand over first class degree 2 u on a platter of gold. The system will extract blood from u (smiles). U will need to do what ur coursemates are not doing. U must go d extra mile. (3) Keep urself motivated. There are two types of motivation, intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic motivation is d type that comes frm within e.g a sense of fulfillment while extrinsic is based on extraneous factors e.g being recognised as d best. Look 4 somthn dat will keep u motivated. (4) Teach your coursemates and be very humble about. (5) Do not get too close to your lecturers and also dnt get too far frm them. Strike a balance. (6) Commit all ur efforts unto God. The race is nt 2 d swift neither the battle 2 d strong bt time and chance happen 2 them all. See u at d top.

Good one sir......thanks...i am also a benefactor of that advice!

1 Like

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by Kenny4lyfe(m): 12:38pm On Mar 01, 2017
Hello everyone,
Haven been (well fed and rested grin) at home since Feb. 17th after concluding my second semester examinations till today 28th Feb. which happens to be the last day of the month, I'm now going to give everyone a final review of my 100L as regarding my socio-academic activities. I must mention though that in as much as I will try to be as transparent as I can, I would for obvious reasons not go into details or divulge the identity of persons or group of persons that I had interacted with in the course of my 100L studies. Thank you very much everyone for your continued support, patience and encouragement!

Here we go.....

As its always is for every freshly admitted undergrad in a Nigerian university, I was more like a JJC among thousands of JJCs on campus.
Our resumption came up at a time when the older undergrads are already in the middle of their lectures so we had very little help when it comes to guidance. The lucky/blessed ones are those who had friends or colleagues amongst the older undergrads to guide them through the registration, accreditation and every other necessary processes a young undergrad will go through in a university (I had one who was of great assistance).

When it came to choosing my course option and registering in my department, my first challenge was to locate my departmental office. When I'm directed to a particular office I end up knocking the wrong door most of the time (One can only imagine the myriad of departments under the faculty of education in my school) and to tackle this challenge, I decided to first locate those newly admitted undergrads as I who are in my department (most importantly, those that intended to choose physics or mathematics).
It took me less than 48 hours to do that. I met three young men I'd like to call Peter, James and John (not real names) who where looking for the same office and together we met two other young men I'd call Paul and Silas who have already been to this office and have already completed their registrations and have chosen their options (i.e. Maths).
Paul and Silas told us the exact location of the office (they even took us there) and informed us of the necessary requirements to be able to choose physics or maths including tips on how we should carry ourselves in front of the Staff in charge of the office (who is now our course adviser). Paul and Silas are now our course reps for most of our MTH courses. As at this time, lectures have already started for the newbies so, to cut the long story short, I will highlight in points the different challenges I faced and how I overcame them.

1. The Option Question: I wasn't quite clear weather to choose physics or mathematics because of the love I share for both courses. The fact that I originally applied into this university to study computer science didn't help matters as I wanted a course even after which I can go for post graduate studies in Computer Science. Peter, James, John and I had a deliberation and "voila" Maths it is (though James and John have already gone ahead to choose maths, Peter and I haven't. Peter chose physics initially. Our deliberations changed his mind.)! So, Peter went ahead to choose to change over to Mathematics leaving yours truly behind. I couldn't enter the office initially because as at this time I am yet to open my registration file in my faculty (without which I cannot open a file in my department) and I am yet to pay my school fees. I've only payed for acceptance and clearance at this time.

What I did to solve this dilemma was to attend same lectures as Peter, James and John (since they chose the same option I wanted) and keep myself updated as to how I can have this registrations done even though I'm yet to pay my school fees. It so happened that towards the end of my 1st semester 100L, the school announced that those who are yet to pay their school fees can go ahead and register at the faculty (and of course their departments) so that they can get their matriculation number before exams.
In this case, those who are yet to pay their school fees can only do manual course registration instead of online course registration. On receiving this news, I immediately went ahead to open my faculty file and by the time I got to my department to chose my option, the space for Maths according to the Staff in charge, has already been filled. She recommended Physic which a lot of space still. I politely told her I needed to study Maths so that I can proceed in Computer Science for my post graduate studies and she agreed and included my name among those studying Mathematics Education (my school fees issue is a done deal too).

2. Friendship and Study Group: Peter, James and John eventually became my close friends while Paul and Silas became close but distant friends (they are my course reps anyway). We solve problems together, exchange lecture notes and analyze and argue concepts together. We even do our assignments together but despite all these, there is a sense of competition, the intent to out-do each other can be visible in all of us. (Peter, James, John, Paul and Silas are all males, we have very few female course mates. Though they are quite friendly but I try as much as I can to avoid them). The other relationship I had is with my room mate (I lived off-campus) who happened to be a 200L student studying Biological Sciences he appeared smooth at first but turbulent towards the end of my 1st Semester because of his inability to manage resources and his love for girls. I quietly packed out before my 2nd Semester examinations commenced.
Friendship with campus girls (I mean dating or any form of serious relationship) is something I didn't have on my agenda from onset because I have priorities and I don't like distractions. But there is this one time a lady tried to play on my naivety as someone who hasn't really dated or had a girlfriend before and below was what she did;

A. She's in my faculty and I'll call her Ada (not real name). Someone told her that I'm a "yoruba boy" after a lecture and she rushed down to me, grabbing my arms and stole me away from my friends (very surprising and funny actually). She said she like "yoruba boys" and would like to have my contact so we could be friends. I gave her my contact but never with the intention of calling her (She called my line immediately to ensure the authenticity of my number.

B. She will occasionally call me to check on me and her real intentions was made known when she started to ask me to help with her assignments while she travel to different places (only God knows where). I had 2 contacts of hers and she had two of mine. She's on WhatsApp and so am I but she will never chat me up (I don't bother anyway).
She's also on facebook and so am I but the only day I suggested we should be friends on facebook, her reply was, "I'm not using my name Ada on facebook oh! Just search for my surname and you'll find me in the search results". For me, that is a "no" sign. So I didn't bother to. I also found out that Ada is dating other campus boys and lecturers.
When I added the pieces together (including other things I observed but not worth mentioning on this thread), I came to a conclusion that this girl and her ilks are looking for intelligent guys like me who will be their academic problem solver. in other words a boy-boy (I school in the southern part of Nigeria) and intelligent "yoruba boys" are always the target (unknown to her, my origin is in Zion).

C. I quietly (and gently too) avoided her and I told her through her room-mate that she would not see me again until we resume 200L first semester. I'm also aware (through books I've read on relationships) that the best way to kill a relationship is to cut-off the communication channel (which is what I did and thank God I did it), now I'm free from Ada and her likes and I'm now wiser.

My Final Decisions of Friendship

* Peter, James and John remains my best friends and study-mates even as we resume 200L second semester. I will do my best to contribute my bit to our academic exploits, psychological well-being (moral grin) and spiritual and financial well-being (whenever the need arises).
* Anyone who's into the business of lousy chest-beating and noise-making with a know-it-all attitude (like Paul and Silas) will be kept at arms length from next semester.
* I will not be emotionally involved with the opposite sex.
* The only socio-religious activity/gathering that is dear to me is that of my church and none other. (some campus fellowship dudes tends to disturb too much).

Accommodation Decisions For Next Semester

* I will still say off-campus but it'll be in a nearby town to my school.
* I will be my own "landlord" this time (no more annoying, wasteful and womanizing room-mates). If I were to have any room-mates, any of Peter, James and John will be a perfect candidate.)
* There will be no unscheduled visitations but during the day and at "ungodly" hours from any of my course-mates or supposed gate-crashing friends.

My Welfare Decisions For Next Semester

* No junk food! My meals will be cooked (inexpensive though) and fresh.
* Availability of Beverages and fruits will be ensured.
* Exercises and other physical activities on Saturdays and My Keyboard and Acoustic Guitar training will be properly scheduled within the week.
* Rehearsals with my church choir on Tuesday evenings and Saturday evenings will be of utmost importance as always.
* I will put more effort towards working on soundtracks for some of my songs by visiting sound studios. I've been a song writer for too long yet no soundtrack. That must change.

Ok guys, this is where I drop my pen. I will now go ahead and commence my preparation for 200L first semester. I have just two weeks to do that because my school resumes on 17th of March 2017.

Thanks and God bless you real good!

Off I go!

2 Likes

Re: For Those Who Intends To Make a First Class in Bsc Mathematics by SetrakusRa(m): 11:18pm On Mar 27, 2017
@Kenny4Lyfe How far bro.. How's your progress?

I just hit 4.92 oo.. grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Unilorin's Move To Close Portal Causes Stir As Students Threaten To Protest / 11-year-old Boy, Boffin Ramarni Wilfred,with Higher IQ Than Einstein / BREAKING NEWS: Prof Yemi Osinbajo Names Fuoye After Late Gen. Adebayo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.