Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

I Need Assistance With Vb.net - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Need Assistance With Vb.net (1280 Views)

I Need To Learn Php And Vb.net / Need Assistance With This / What Is The Future Of Vb.net? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Tonydeeb(m): 6:54pm On Sep 20, 2016
Hi guys, so I was given an assignment on vb.net to make an ID Validator, and since being done with that, I've been unable to generate reports with it.
I've basically scoured the internet in search of a solution, downloaded all the 'connectors' specified, but nothing seems to be working.

While trying to connect the CR to database, I get the below error everytime...

Failed to open the connection.
Details: ADO Error code: 0x80004005
Source: MICROSOFT OLE DB Provider for SQL server
Description: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect().)SQL server does not exist or access denied.
Sql state: 08001
Native error: 17....

I've also tried using click events(manual pulling of data into CrystalReport) like I do on VB6 but nothing is working.
I'll appreciate if anyone can assist me with this.
TIA.
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Tonydeeb(m): 11:30pm On Sep 20, 2016
Any form of help will be very much appreciated guys... Abeg, no just view and leave if you can help out o.
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Nobody: 11:37pm On Sep 20, 2016
Using VB6 technique in .NET? The versions are so so different. You did not even state the version of .NET you are using - the different versions have slightly different approaches to doing stuffs.
I am quite rusty in VB.NET at the moment, but i know we have active VB.NET programmers on the board sha.
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Tonydeeb(m): 11:28am On Sep 21, 2016
Thanks for the reply brov... Though, I didn't mean I used VB.6 codes or techniques, I meant like you easily call a report in vb6 at runtime, I decided to explore the options for VB.Net.
And it's VB10.net - 2013 (Professional) to be precise.... Thanks again "dhtml18"
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Nobody: 11:37am On Sep 21, 2016
What measures have you taken to ensure that you resolve all those errors?
Do you have mssql server installed and configured properly?
Are you sure your connection credentials are okay?

Because this looks like the problem rather than crystal reports per say.
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Tonydeeb(m): 11:50am On Sep 21, 2016
I have practically downloaded all the connectors in Microsoft's store... I actually downloaded 'MySQL Workbench 6.3 CE' since I make use of MySQL specifically (and wampserver) and not SQL OLEDb.
I've equally downloaded some "Source codes", but seems everyone's making use of 'Datasets', tried that and was met with yet more errors.
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 21, 2016
That MySQL with VB things, last time i did that was VB 6. And I remember using ODBC before I could link it. I remember the details no more however except that I used ODBC at some point.

There is another way too that has to do with MySQL connection, let me search a bit, got it

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6190599/vb-net-mysql-connection

Once you have got that connector, it practically makes your VB app a MySQL client, somewhat similar to MySQL workbench.
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Tonydeeb(m): 12:28pm On Sep 21, 2016
Can't thank you enough sire, I really appreciate the effort... I'll be back to update on how it goes.
Thanks.
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Tonydeeb(m): 12:53pm On Sep 21, 2016
Seems I've installed the referenced connector already... Though from what I got just now, "Installing an unsupported .Net Connector does more harm than good", So, I'll try uninstalling all the other connectors to see how it goes.
Thanks for your time ->
Dim dhtml18 As String = "Thanks for Your time"
MsgBox(dhtml18, MsgBoxStyle.Exclamation)
smiley
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 21, 2016
great, except that you need to use MsgBoxStyle.Troll (if they dont have that, we need to tell microsoft to create a TROLL ICON).

2 Likes

Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by logicalhumour: 1:41pm On Sep 21, 2016
dhtml18:
great, except that you need to use MsgBoxStyle.Troll (if they dont have that, we need to tell microsoft to create a TROLL ICON).
I got that grin
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Tonydeeb(m): 2:02pm On Sep 21, 2016
dhtml18:
Wow, never knew that!, Boss you are... Gracias
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Tonydeeb(m): 10:43pm On Sep 22, 2016
Wow, so I finally got a way out after weeks of rigorous search and 'Trial & Errors'... Finally got a way out!...overjoyed!.
Used DataSets instead of the traditional 'OLEDB sql' parameters and with the assistance of a video from Youtube, was able to make it work!.

For anyone having same issues, you can search Youtube using this string - "Create report in vb.net with mysql using crystal report".

As per the error I made mention of(Missing DLL), found a solution here -> http://scn.sap.com/thread/3606863

'dhtml', thanks for the replies.
Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Nobody: 10:50pm On Sep 22, 2016
You are an excellent person, many of our brothers will not share how they solved the problem, they will just waka way.
Congrats, you need to kill a TURKEY to celebrate this.

1 Like

Re: I Need Assistance With Vb.net by Tonydeeb(m): 11:07pm On Sep 22, 2016
dhtml18:
You are an excellent person, many of our brothers will not share how they solved the problem, they will just waka way.
Congrats, you need to kill a TURKEY to celebrate this.
Lol, I tell you... its so worth it.

(1) (Reply)

How To Make My Code Shorter With Python Function (A Comprehensive Tutorial ) / Good Programmer Is Needed / I'm suffering from tutorial hell, I need help please!!?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.