Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,267 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:33 AM

Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers (971 Views)

Whatsapp May Start Showing Enterprise Advertisements Soon / Whatsapp May Introduce ‘unsend’ Option To Save You From Embarrasment / Whatsapp May Incorporate Passcode And Recovery Email Options (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers by Everfrank(m): 7:23am On Sep 21, 2016
IT is no longer news that Whatsapp, the world’s most popular messaging application will not be available on the BlackBerry platform come 2017. What might be news however, especially to the Facebook owned company, is that many Nigerian BlackBerry faithful say they will choose the Canadian mobile brand over Whatsapp.

Although BlackBerry might have lost face all over the world, it is still a dearly beloved brand in the world’s most populous black nation for a variety of reasons. The easy-to-use physical keyboard associated with many of the older blackberry models is one of them. Although Android and Apple devices have relegated the physical QWERTY to the middle ages, it is still a feature loved by many Nigerians.

Another point to note is the price factor. As a result of the BlackBerry boom in Nigeria few years ago, the country’s major networks designed special services for subscribers who used the brand. The average customers internet needs can be met with a one-off payment of N1000 a month. This feature, unavailable on other platforms makes the use of data more expensive on other Smartphones.

Caterer, Princess Nwadinobi is attracted to the blackberry brand for this very reason. “I don’t really like the fact that Whatsapp is leaving BlackBerry. With a cheap subscription fee, I can browse easily every month on my BlackBerry unlike other phone brands that will cost me more. I think I’ll still stick to my BlackBerry because I can talk and do business with my customers through the BlackBerry messenger and Facebook messenger.

Although device lovers, Nigerians are feeling the crunch of a dwindling economy, with the dollar rising faster against the naira like a cup of Ijebu garri in cold water. For millions of blackberry users across the country, getting a new device simply to accommodate an app might not be top priority.

Mr. Sanmi Mosiko for example, a student at Kogi state University is more interested using his finances to further his education. He told Glamtech: “I won’t get a new phone even when I can no longer use Whatsapp on my BlackBerry. I’d rather do without the app.”

There are still a few who might leave BlackBerry for Whatsapp. School teacher, Miss Amarachi Williams told Glamtech that she would have to get herself a new phone that makes use of the app because whatsapp is important to her.

Be that as it may, it is unlikely that you’ll find a BlackBerry shelf when you go to a dealer in brand new devices-at least not in the Lagos metropolis. But that doesn’t mean that BBs are no longer sold in Nigeria. Just like with almost everything ‘Tokunbo’, the second-hand mobile market here is a thriving one, and Blackberries are still a major part of that market. Nigerians are still using Blackberries every day and that’s unlikely to change overnight or even in the next three months when Whatsapp will say goodbye to Blackberry.
http://www.informationng.com/2016/09/blackberry-xit-why-whatsapp-may-lose-many-nigerian-subscribers.html

1 Like

Re: Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers by lawrenzi(m): 7:29am On Sep 21, 2016
i will koment later
Re: Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers by momentum85(m): 7:51am On Sep 21, 2016
Re: Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers by pinkyruledworld(m): 8:28am On Sep 21, 2016
let the time come and u ll see the all port to android devices. ..or blackberry android and wen u ask em whats up, they ll say "change" is the slogan.
Re: Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 21, 2016
to me, I would rather use android than that glorified BlackBerry, that sucks when dataless..

Can't remember last time I logged in to my bbm..

Whatsapp rocks.
Re: Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers by Youngpo413: 8:58am On Sep 21, 2016
Whatsapp are making the right decision, blackberry is dead, you all should let it rest in peace, I can't even remember the last time I saw that shyt,...... Samsung and iPhone everywhere.
Re: Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers by kingvibora: 10:43am On Sep 21, 2016
Just passing by
Re: Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers by joseph214(m): 11:19am On Sep 21, 2016
They'll still port at the end.
Re: Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers by youngkhid(m): 1:09pm On Sep 21, 2016
Yomieluv:
to me, I would rather use android than that glorified BlackBerry, that sucks when dataless..

Can't remember last time I logged in to my bbm..

Whatsapp rocks.
U gottit blackberry is useless without data and it forces u to spend on data

RUBBISH!!!!

FEELING BURNA BOY - PREE ME
Re: Blackberry-xit: Why Whatsapp May Lose Many Nigerian Subscribers by Malix: 12:42pm On Sep 23, 2016
Everfrank i ve been trying to reach u. Pls call me on 08091525901

(1) (Reply)

There Was A Problem Communicating With Google Server- Help!! / TECNO W5 Specifications, Features, Photo And Price Of All Countries / Help A Sister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.