Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,991 members, 7,806,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? (11548 Views)

Bloodbath As Muslims In Oyo Fight Over Praying Ground In Igboora, Ibarapa East / Man Dies In A Mosque While Praying In Jordan (Photos And Video) / Muslims Praying In Bayelsa Shut Down A Major Road, Cars Blocked (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Laid2001: 3:12pm On Sep 23, 2016
JAZAKUM LAH KHAERAN.

THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO HANDLE ISSUES LIKE THIS. wITH EVIDENCE.

lexiconkabir:

I tried to see if i can find a similar fatwa on the issue, and i found this;

Question:

Does using perfumes that contain alcohol interfere with the validity of the prayer?.

Shaykh munajid replies:

Praise be to Allaah.
There is nothing wrong with using alcohol-based perfumes on the body and on clothes, and that does not affect the validity of the prayer. The scholars differed as to the nature of the impurity (najaasah) of alcohol: is it physical or metaphorical?

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen (may Allah have mercy on him) said when he was asked about the impurity of alcohol and cologne:

The basic principle is that things are pure (taahir) unless there is evidence to indicate that they are impure (najis). When there is no evidence to indicate that something is impure, then the basic principle is that it is pure. But it is evil (khabeeth) in a practical and metaphorical sense. However, the fact that a thing is forbidden does not necessarily mean that it is impure. Do you not see that poison is haraam but it is not najis (impure)? Everything that is najis is haraam, but nor everything that is haraam is najis.

Based on that, we say concerning cologne and similar things: they are not najis, because alcohol in and of itself is not najis. There is evidence for the opinion that we have mentioned, so cologne and similar things are not najis either, and as they are not najis, the clothing does not have to be purified from them. End quote.

Majmoo‘ Fataawa al-Shaykh al-‘Uthaymeen, 11/252

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen was also asked:

If it is proven that a perfume contains alcohol, can a person put it on his clothing and go out to pray?

He answered:

It should be noted that pure alcohol is not najis and it does not have to be washed from the clothing or the body. Once you understand that, you will know that perfumes that contain alcohol, even if the ratio is high, are not najis. End quote.

Liqa’ al-Baab al-Maftooh, 176, question no. 4

https://islamqa.info/en/164448

1 Like

Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Sep 23, 2016
Laid2001:
JAZAKUM LAH KHAERAN.

THIS IS THE RIGHT WAY TO HANDLE ISSUES LIKE THIS. wITH EVIDENCE.

Wa iyak brother, i was looking for reference of the book that i saw something similar, cuz I've forgotten the name, that was why i didnt post it from the beginning, i just found it on the site i presented even with two references.
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Empiree: 3:52pm On Sep 23, 2016
lexiconkabir:
^^ And its cheap too......
A bit expensive at local stores. I buy each for $5
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 23, 2016
Empiree:
A bit expensive at local stores. I buy each for $5

Now thats expensive grin almost 1600 over here if converted to naira.....
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Empiree: 4:53pm On Sep 23, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Now thats expensive grin almost 1600 over here if converted to naira.....
You may never want to buy anything (if you live in the US) if you think about exchange rate.
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 23, 2016
Empiree:
You may never want to buy anything (if you live in the US) if you think about exchange rate.

Naira is so worthless now...its sad, the ghanian 5 cedi equals Nigerian 400 naira.....we are in a big mess.
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Empiree: 5:29pm On Sep 23, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Naira is so worthless now...its sad, the ghanian 5 cedi equals Nigerian 400 naira.....we are in a big mess.

Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Souljaboi1: 6:16pm On Sep 23, 2016
This thread is like a discussion board between students of Shaykh Najmideen and Duktoor Sharafuddeen Raaji.

May Allaah bless the Sincere Tulaab with beneficial Knowledge. smiley

Aamiin
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 23, 2016
modskiller:
Which one is it now,

is it Good or Bad to use perfumes abeg, this is quite confusing.

Hope you still following the thread?
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 23, 2016
Souljaboi1:
This thread is like a discussion board between students of Shaykh Najmideen and Duktoor Sharafuddeen Raaji.

Funny enough Doctor sharafdeen Raaji(hafidhahullaah) is one of my teachers, i learn from him, but i dont know shaykh Najmdeen, do you have links to his lectures?

May Allaah bless the Sincere Tulaab with beneficial Knowledge. smiley

Aamiin

Aameen...
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Souljaboi1: 11:55pm On Sep 23, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Funny enough Doctor sharafdeen Raaji(hafidhahullaah) is one of my teachers, i learn from him, but i dont know shaykh Najmdeen, do you have links to his lectures?

Aameen...

AlhamduliLLaah, I was also a student of Duktoor at Al-Madeenah Academy.

Shaykh Najmdeen is based in Lagos. He holds his Halqah at a Masjid in the Egbeda area. Lots of brothers have studied and are still studying under him.

May Allaah preserve us and the Scholars of Sunnah upon goodness.

Aamiin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Haywhymido(m): 7:34am On Sep 24, 2016
Salam alaikum, stay away frm it if u can, wallahu allam.
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by cola: 10:30am On Sep 24, 2016
May Allah preserve the scholars of the Deen and keep us on the Truth and Guidance.

The scholars have given a fatwa.

I, though, as long as there are alternatives to these achoolic perfumes, would rather choose to use the alternatives even if a bit more expensive or less effective.

BTW, can one also extend this argument to their use as preservatives in cakes, bread and other food items since no matter how much bread or cake one eats, one would not be intoxicated? Or that's over the top?

Anyway, my reference in this and similar matters always is the Hadith of Nu'man bn Basheer: alhalaal bayyin, walharaam bayyin, wabaynahuma umuurun mushtabihaat... Whoever avoids these doubtful matters protects his Deen... Ref Hadith 2 in Imaaam Nawawi's selection.

Wa-LLahu a'laam wahuwal musta'an.
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 24, 2016
cola:
May Allah preserve the scholars of the Deen and keep us on the Truth and Guidance.

The scholars have given a fatwa.

I, though, as long as there are alternatives to these achoolic perfumes, would rather choose to use the alternatives even if a bit more expensive or less effective.

BTW, can one also extend this argument to their use as preservatives in cakes, bread and other food items since no matter how much bread or cake one eats, one would not be intoxicated? Or that's over the top?

Anyway, my reference in this and similar matters always is the Hadith of Nu'man bn Basheer: alhalaal bayyin, walharaam bayyin, wabaynahuma umuurun mushtabihaat... Whoever avoids these doubtful matters protects his Deen... Ref Hadith 2 in Imaaam Nawawi's selection.

Wa-LLahu a'laam wahuwal musta'an.

Since you'll consume the cake, then it becomes haraam

And yes i agree with you that its better to avoid it, but it is not haraam....
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by shawl: 12:48pm On Sep 24, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Is alcohol impure(najis)?

Yes it is and your salah is invalid if it is on you because the prophet, saw, prohibited us from coming into contact with it. Moreover, something does not have to be najis for it to invalidate salah. For example passing wind invalidates salah but passing wind itself is not najis, if it was, we would have been required to go for taharat before renewing our ablution.

Also, some of the scholars who seek permissibility of using alcohol based perfume say so on the understanding that besides the alcoholic content being small in the perfume, this quantity does not really end up touching you because the alcoholic content evaporates as it is fired through the diffuser of the pressurized container. They did not seek the permissibility based on that the alcohol can be left on you or your cloth.

lexiconkabir:

The keyword there is "DRINKING"

The prophet, saw, has cursed ten people involved in alcohol:

The one who squeezes (the grapes etc), the one for whom it is squeezed, the one who drinks it, the one who carries it, the one to whom it is carried, the one who pours it, the one who sells it and consumes its price, the one who buys it and the one for whom it is bought.

It is obvious that these people have been cursed by the prophet, saw, irrespective of whether their intention is to drink it or not. Moreover, I also see the universal applicability of this hadith over all ages. For example, it is applicable to the present day situation: the producers can be likened to the modern day breweries, the carriers the modern day logistics, the buyers and sellers and profiteers to the modern day bear parlours, club houses etc where money exchange hands in alcoholic sales and profits among the patroziners. However you only chose to see 'drinking' as the only intention for which involvement in alcohol is sinful.

By your declaration

lexiconkabir:

Alcohol is impermissible if and only if the consumer has the intention of drinking it, anything other than that, is permissible...

You have inadvertently opened the door to all kinds of sinful involvement with alcohol. For example, it can be extrapolated from your conclusion that a muslim can setup a brewery if his only intentions is to make profit and not consume alcohol. A muslim can work in a brewery, sell alcohol, or profit from its logistics as far as his intention is not to drink from the alcohol. Well it is your words against the holy prophet's, saw.
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 24, 2016
You still dont get it do you?

shawl:

Yes it is and your salah is invalid if it is on you because the prophet, saw, prohibited us from coming into contact with it.

Well you have to prove that alcohol is najis.

Moreover, something does not have to be najis for it to invalidate salah. For example passing wind invalidates salah but passing wind itself is not najis, if it was, we would have been required to go for taharat before renewing our ablution.

This does not follow because the prophet specifically mentioned "hadath" i.e passing wind, stooling, urine and something similar invalidates salaah, so this cant be used!

The hadith was relatee by aisha in sahih bukhari.

Also, some of the scholars who seek permissibility of using alcohol based perfume say so on the understanding that besides the alcoholic content being small in the perfume, this quantity does not really end up touching you because the alcoholic content evaporates as it is fired through the diffuser of the pressurized container. They did not seek the permissibility based on that the alcohol can be left on you or your cloth.

Allaahu Akbar! Finally, what was the purpose of this thread in the first place? Isnt it because of using alcohol based perfume?

Well you are yet tp prove that alcohol in itself is najis, because I'm yet to see a scholar that called it najis, rather I've seen scholars calling it pure.

The prophet, saw, has cursed ten people involved in alcohol:

The one who squeezes (the grapes etc), the one for whom it is squeezed, the one who drinks it, the one who carries it, the one to whom it is carried, the one who pours it, the one who sells it and consumes its price, the one who buys it and the one for whom it is bought.

It is obvious that these people have been cursed by the prophet, saw, irrespective of whether their intention is to drink it or not. Moreover, I also see the universal applicability of this hadith over all ages. For example, it is applicable to the present day situation: the producers can be likened to the modern day breweries, the carriers the modern day logistics, the buyers and sellers and profiteers to the modern day bear parlours, club houses etc where money exchange hands in alcoholic sales and profits among the patroziners. However you only chose to see 'drinking' as the only intention for which involvement in alcohol is sinful.

By your declaration

You have inadvertently opened the door to all kinds of sinful involvement with alcohol. For example, it can be extrapolated from your conclusion that a muslim can setup a brewery if his only intentions is to make profit and not consume alcohol. A muslim can work in a brewery, sell alcohol, or profit from its logistics as far as his intention is not to drink from the alcohol. Well it is your words against the holy prophet's, saw.

The brewery was opened because of people that will eventually DRINK it, its still revolves around DRINKING.

hope you got it now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by shawl: 4:21pm On Sep 24, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Well you have to prove that alcohol is najis. I'm yet to see a scholar that called it najis..

Scholars have explained that the hadith about the non acceptance of your salah for forty days if you took alcohol is because it is najis and it takes the body that long for it to completely get rid of the alcohol from your body system. (imam Suyuti, ibn Qayyim)

Therefore this hadith and the schorlarly explanations can serve as bases to realize the status of alcohol as najis.

lexiconkabir:

This does not follow because the prophet specifically mentioned "hadath" i.e passing wind, stooling, urine and something similar invalidates salaah, so this cant be used!

What you have above is hadith too.

lexiconkabir:

what was the purpose of this thread in the first place? Isnt it because of using alcohol based perfume?

But that did not stop you from generalizing to say that only consumption of alcohol is sinful starkly against the hadith of the holy prophet, saw.

If my non muslim neighbor called me on my way home to ask me to get him a bottle of alcohol and I confirmed from him that he was not going to drink it but will be used to 'wash his newly bought car', as some people do here, is it be permissible for me go get it for him?
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by distinguished1(m): 5:01pm On Sep 24, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen was also asked:

If it is proven that a perfume contains alcohol, can a person put it on his clothing and go out to pray?

He answered:

It should be noted that pure alcohol is not najis and it does not have to be washed from the clothing or the body. Once you understand that, you will know that perfumes that contain alcohol, even if the ratio is high, are not najis. End quote.

Liqa’ al-Baab al-Maftooh, 176, question no. 4

https://islamqa.info/en/164448

Jazaakallahu khayran.
That's all.
Case close.

2 Likes

Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 24, 2016
shawl:

Scholars have explained that the hadith about the non acceptance of your salah for forty days if you took alcohol is because it is najis and it takes the body that long for it to completely get rid of the alcohol from your body system. (imam Suyuti, ibn Qayyim)

Therefore this hadith and the schorlarly explanations can serve as bases to realize the status of alcohol as najis.

Truly I've seen just now ibn qayyim's opinion on alcohol being impure even though its Origin is pure as stated by him, and here is the evidence used from surah maaedah;

"...are Rijs of Shaitaan's (Satan) handiwork. So avoid (strictly all)"

Here is a reply to that by Sayyid Sabiq and ibn uthaymeen;

Sayyid Sabiq said, "This is not labelled as impure in a definite, sensory way. Allaah says:

"Stay away from the filth ('rijs') of idols." (22:30)

Idols are impure in the abstract sense, and they are not considered impure if one touches them. The explanation of the preceding verse is that they are a tool of Satan, for they cause enmity and hatred and keep people away from the remembrance of Allah and prayer.

In 'Subul as-Salaam' it says, "Their origin is pure, and their being prohibited does not mean that the object itself is impure. For example, hashish is prohibited but it is pure. But, something impure is not necessarily prohibited. Every impure thing is prohibited, but not vice-versa. That is because of the ruling that something impure cannot be touched under any circumstances. If a ruling says that something is impure, it is also prohibited. This differs from a ruling that something is prohibited. For example, it is forbidden to wear silk and gold, but they are absolutely pure by consensus." If one understands that, then the prohibition of alcohol does not necessarily entail its also being considered impure: it needs some other evidence to prove that it is impure. If not, then we are left with the original position that it is pure. If one claims other than that, he must substantiate it."

Shaykh Muhammad bin Saalih al-`Uthaymeen said in regards to the verse in Soorat A-Maaedah;

"An additional evidence is the fact that gambling, Al-Ansab and Al-Azlam are not physically unclean, and the description (Rijs) here is all four: alcoholic drinks, gambling Al-Ansab and Al-Azlam… and if the description applies to all four of these things, then the ruling on all of them is the same."

Also, those who say that alcohol is not physically unclean have another proof from the Sunnah, which is that when the prohibition of alcoholic drinks was revealed, the Prophet (Sallallaahu alayhi wassalam) did not order the vessel to be washed clean of it. Likewise, the Companions emptied them out in the markets, and if it was unclean, they would not have emptied them out in the markets, because that would necessitate pollution being spread throughout them.

Secondly: Since it is clear that the Khamr is not physically unclean - and that is the most authoritative saying in my opinion – then alcohol is not physically impure, but spiritually impure, because the alcohol which inebriates is Khamr, according to the words of the Prohpet (pace be upon him):

“Everything which inebriates is Khamr.”

And if it is Khamr, then its useas a beverage or a food , by being mixed with certain food to give flavour to it is clearly forbidden by the Book and agreement of the Scholars. But as for use for other things, such as cleansing bacteria and the like, it is a matter of opinion, and whoever avoids it is more prudent… but I cannot say that it is forbidden, though I do not use it myself, except when necessary, such as sterilising wounds and such likes.

What you have above is hadith too.

Which i have explained sufficiently.

But that did not stop you from generalizing to say that only consumption of alcohol is sinful starkly against the hadith of the holy prophet, saw.

Like I've said, i cant say it is haraam(especially when the scholars differed on the issue) and i dont use it either except when necessary, but we have to be careful making things haraam which Allaah did not make so.

If my non muslim neighbor called me on my way home to ask me to get him a bottle of alcohol and I confirmed from him that he was not going to drink it but will be used to 'wash his newly bought car', as some people do here, is it be permissible for me go get it for him?

This is obviously haraam since the drink that is used for "washing" was made for DRINKING, so it still falls under DRINKING, i dont think you understand my position all along.

1 Like

Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by modskiller(m): 7:30pm On Sep 24, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Hope you still following the thread?

No, i am quite confused here.
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 24, 2016
modskiller:

No, i am quite confused here.

What exactly is the confusion?

My stand is, it is not haraam(with sufficient proofs) but safer to stay away from it, however anyone doing it is not sinning.

His stand is that it is haraam..
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by shawl: 1:42pm On Sep 25, 2016
lexiconkabir:

This is obviously haraam since the drink that is used for "washing" was made for DRINKING, so it still falls under DRINKING, i dont think you understand my position all along.
How can you tell me that "Alcohol is impermissible if and only if the consumer has the intention of drinking it, anything other than that, is permissible", then turn around to tell me that I sinned for assisting my non muslim neighbour get a bottle of alcohol which he used for a purpose besides drinking.

Can't you see that you are by now shifting the goal post by claiming that the producers intent for producing for drinking makes my logistic assist for my neighbor sinful. This contradicts your quoted statement.

I put it to you that your submissions don't add up and is capable of misguiding your readers.

So if Allahu ta'ala calls it a defilement, uncleanness, etc from among the works of shaytan and warned us to keep away from it and the holy prophet, saw, told us of its effect on our prayer for 40 days and the eminent scholars of the deen who preceded the people you quoted, have said that that is because it takes that long for the last contaminatory molecules of the taken alcohol to exit our body system, then are these not enough evidences to "indicate" or "suggest" (as you and the people you are quoting claim) that alcohol is an impurity?

Also, is the holy prophet's statement that the one who dies in the habit of drinking alcohol will be made to drink from the worst of all impurities from jahannam also not a pointer to it that alcohol is considered impure?
Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 25, 2016
shawl:

How can you tell me that "Alcohol is impermissible if and only if the consumer has the intention of drinking it, anything other than that, is permissible", then turn around to tell me that I sinned for assisting my non muslim neighbour get a bottle of alcohol which he used for a purpose besides drinking.

Can't you see that you are by now shifting the goal post by claiming that the producers intent for producing for drinking makes my logistic assist for my neighbor sinful. This contradicts your quoted statement.

I put it to you that your submissions don't add up and is capable of misguiding your readers.

You seem to take me for someone out here to argue just to win, no no no, the prophet said Allaah cursed khamr(intoxicants) and everything around it, now put my statement "if and only if you have intention of drinking" beside everything that surrounds DRINKING(as the prophet cursed), then see if you will understand my position, cuz you clearly don't.

So if Allahu ta'ala calls it a defilement, uncleanness, etc from among the works of shaytan and warned us to keep away from it and the holy prophet, saw, told us of its effect on our prayer for 40 days and the eminent scholars of the deen who preceded the people you quoted, have said that that is because it takes that long for the last contaminatory molecules of the taken alcohol to exit our body system, then are these not enough evidences to "indicate" or "suggest" (as you and the people you are quoting claim) that alcohol is an impurity?

Also, is the holy prophet's statement that the one who dies in the habit of drinking alcohol will be made to drink from the worst of all impurities from jahannam also not a pointer to it that alcohol is considered impure?

The contemporary scholars i quoted gave an irrefutable proof that Alcohol is not a physical najis rather a spiritual one and the most glaring proof for that is the description (Rijs) here is all four: alcoholic drinks, gambling Al-Ansab and Al-Azlam, if others are not najis physically, then Alcohol is not, another proof was given from the sunnah, let me add one more(which i just thought of), the prophet said the prayer of someone that drinks Alcohol wont be accepted for 40days, now does that mean he is not going to pray since it wont be accepted? No! What does acceptance mean here? It means the prayer will go unrewarded but the obligation of prayer is off his neck, now here is where my proof is, is his prayer invalid because he drank Alcohol? No! But it will go unrewarded because he drank Alcohol, thus Alcohol is a spiritual najis not a physical one, so if it touches your cloth, it doesnt invalidate your salaah.

Classical scholars can be wrong at times, and this does not mean they were not knowlegeable, but no blind following brother, everyone's understanding cant be the same, just look at the evidences presented.

1 Like

Re: Praying With A Cloth Having Perfume(alcoholic Type) – Allowed Or Not? by modskiller(m): 11:26am On Sep 26, 2016
[left][/left]
lexiconkabir:

What exactly is the confusion?

My stand is, it is not haraam(with sufficient proofs) but safer to stay away from it, however anyone doing it is not sinning.

His stand is that it is haraam..

Thanks, now i understand.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Commonest Errors Usually Made On Salaat / Du'a When Slaughtering Or Offering A Sacrifice / Death Of Jesus,evidence From The Quran.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.