Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,973 members, 7,806,830 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:49 AM

The Desperation To Get Married - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Desperation To Get Married (35299 Views)

Is It Normal That I Don't Want To Get Married Or Have Kids? / He Was To Get Married On 2nd Of December But Now He Is Late / ''if You Used This Go And Get Married'' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Go Down)

The Desperation To Get Married by proddey(m): 11:56am On Sep 21, 2016
I am a 37 year old bachelor and I must confess that never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that someday I would be desperate to get married. When I was in my twenties, I used to hear of desperation amongst ladies to get married but I never clearly understood the feeling. I felt only ladies become desperate to get married; I never knew that guys also become desperate at a particular age.

Once a 35 yr old single lady in my former office was crying in the office. She refused to speak on the reason why she was crying until she eventually opened up to one of my colleagues to say that she feels like she might never get married again. Apparently she had tried all she could but no one seems to be interested in her hand in marriage. It was actually quite amusing to me because I used to think that we all have the ability to control our emotions regardless of what we are passing through.

Everything changed about me when I turned 34. One day I was on my bed in my bedroom and suddenly I felt a rush of emotions come upon me so strongly that all of a sudden I just began to realise that I was desperate to get married. I really can’t explain what happened to me that day; you need to actually experience it to know what I’m talking about. By the following year the desperate feeling became like torture and the loneliness was so depressing. I could no longer bear it when I attended weddings to see other young couples getting married. I could no longer stand it when I hear people discussing marriage or weddings around me; I would just stylishly excuse myself from their midst.

In my office they nicknamed me "the oldest bachelor". Trust me, I really don’t find that nickname funny at all. Even when people innocently ask "Hey, why are you not yet married?" or "what are u waiting for?" These are questions that I just can't take emotionally. Naija peeps could be so insensitive at times! I’ve had two ladies tell me that they cried on their 30th birthday because they never ever imagined that they’d still be single at age 30.

I must confess that when I go to church these days, I barely pay attention to what is being preached. Instead my eyes just keep roaming round the church checking out all the single ladies to see which one of them I can poach on immediately after service.

I was meant to travel to the U.S seven years ago but I decided not to because I felt my chances of marrying a Nigerian lady would be higher if I remained in Nigeria. Seven years has passed and still nothing nothing. For those of you who feel changing location, like returning back to Nigeria, would increase your chances of finding a spouse, it is not guaranteed, you had better just remained where you are. Your spouse would locate you there. Your life must continue and you shouldn’t make decisions around finding a partner.

For those of you who got married early or who are still young so you never experienced the pressure to get married, you really don’t know what matured singles are passing through. Sometimes, you find yourself thinking too much and the thoughts can really weigh you down. Matured single ladies cry a lot.

If me as a guy could be feeling like this, I can only imagine what the ladies are passing through emotionally and psychologically. I know that ladies feel the pressure much more. At least we guys don’t have our biological clocks to think about. It gets to a stage that your parents will stop disturbing you to get married, they’ll now start praying for you.

For those of you reading my post, it is my prayer that you all get married at the right time and age and particularly to the right person so that you don't have to pass through the emotions of desperation to get married.

368 Likes 28 Shares

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by cindybaby22(f): 12:06pm On Sep 21, 2016
Surprised this is coming from a guy
thought it apply to we ladies alone
my elder bro is going to be 41 this month & he doesn't feel the need to get married at all.
him matter tire me

209 Likes 9 Shares

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by ammyluv2002(f): 12:26pm On Sep 21, 2016
Well written!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by ammyluv2002(f): 12:47pm On Sep 21, 2016
cindybaby22:
my elder bro is going to be 41 this month & he doesn't feel the need to get married at all.
him matter tire me
Maybe, he's been careful not to make mistakes, probably he's loaded/was once heartbroken. There are a lot of things that can make a guy who's doing well for himself not to get married as expected;

1. His married friends. How are thier marriages? A single man with so many married friends may be scared of marriage just because of what his friends are passing through. They talk about how it has been so difficult as a married man, how they wished they never got married, but if his married friends are enjoying their union, he becomes desperate to get married. He would want to settle down asap so he can also enjoy his wife.

2. Not seeking godly counsel especially if he's loaded. You know, its so difficult for a rich guy to find a woman who will truly love him, and a wise guy wouldn't want to make some funny mistakes. He would prefer to take his time till he finds the right person.

3. Heartbreak! Guys don't easily get over heartbreaks. He finds it very difficult to fall in love again.

4. Fear of commitment! Some of them are so scared of commitment. They don't want to be "caged" by a woman. They want to be free without having to answer to anyone.

91 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 21, 2016
I think something is wrong with me because honestly I had a good laugh reading this. Anyway, I always like to believe for men, getting married isn't a problem. I still do. Getting married to the right person is the problem.
Sha. I hope you get to marry someone that loves you.

35 Likes

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by proddey(m): 2:30pm On Sep 21, 2016
VolTOxic:
I think something is wrong with me because honestly I had a good laugh reading this. Anyway, I always like to believe for men, getting married isn't a problem. I still do. Getting married to the right person is the problem.
Sha. I hope you get to marry someone that loves you.

How old are you bro? I used to feel the same way to when I was much younger. I also always believed that with men, getting married is not a problem. It gets to an age that you're no longer meeting people. Not that you wouldn't meet some people, but you simply want to marry right, not just marry anyone that's available.

38 Likes

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by TV01(m): 2:44pm On Sep 21, 2016
proddey:
I am a 37 year old bachelor and I must confess that never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that someday I would be desperate to get married.
If you are still 37, the desperation to get married is mostly of your own making. The situation itself is not desperate, far from it. Not to say you can't be keen or even eager, but this is by no means a situation that warrants the term desperate, and certainly no that you act so.

I know each one relays how he feels/perceives, but believe you me, you are actually in a good place. Especially so, if you are of good character and with no glaring defects.

I'm happy to answer any questions, but read here for pointers; https://www.nairaland.com/1582623/boys-night-out-discussions/176#49446614

All the best

TV

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by mysticgal(f): 3:01pm On Sep 21, 2016
This post coming from a guy proves that desperation to get married is experienced by male and female....
Op I wish you all the best in your search for the person.
Good luck

27 Likes

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 21, 2016

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by southernbelle(f): 3:34pm On Sep 21, 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/2815882/travails-marrying-late

Welldone op, you just copied and added extra to it.

For those of you reading my post, it is my prayer that you all get married at the right time and age and particularly to the right person so that you don't have to pass through the emotions of desperation to get married.

Amen to this prayer.

15 Likes

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by proddey(m): 4:23pm On Sep 21, 2016
VikingsOO7:
I've read this exact same story before.

https://www.nairaland.com/2815882/travails-marrying-late

It's a continuation from where I stopped in that post.
Re: The Desperation To Get Married by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 21, 2016
proddey:

Ok sire. smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by prettyangel10(f): 4:36pm On Sep 21, 2016
@ Op, it's not easy at all.

1 Like

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by jmoore(m): 4:48pm On Sep 21, 2016
proddey:

So why are you not married? undecided

1- Money

2- No right partner yet.
Re: The Desperation To Get Married by proddey(m): 4:54pm On Sep 21, 2016
jmoore:

So why are you not married? undecided

1- Money

2- No right partner yet.

1. You're really not meeting people is the main reason.
2. Your job takes about 80% of your time.
3. You must want someone that wants you
etc

8 Likes

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by jmoore(m): 4:55pm On Sep 21, 2016
proddey:

3. You must want someone that wants you
etc
Have you tried online?
Re: The Desperation To Get Married by proddey(m): 5:06pm On Sep 21, 2016
jmoore:

Have you tried online?

Most of the girls you meet online are mostly runs girls.

59 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by jmoore(m): 5:12pm On Sep 21, 2016
proddey:

Most of the girls you meet online are mostly runs girls.

There are 'coded' ways to get what you want.

1 Like

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by TV01(m): 5:27pm On Sep 21, 2016
proddey:
Mobilise people and resources. Be at places where you will likely meet people. Be bold - ready to approach in all and any circumstances.

proddey:
If you are serious,youy will make time, or use what little you have smartly and purposefully. It willbe an issue even after you marry. Wise up.

proddey:
3. You must want someone that wants you etc
I would have though that was de rigueur for any serious and mature person?

You have presented no real problem, obstacle or reason to be desperate.

TV

6 Likes

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 21, 2016
Seriously, it's not easy.

I am kind of surprised this is coming from a guy. I means you guys can always get any girl at any time right

Op, 7years and still searching shocked shocked.

It's like you are searching for a perfect lady.

I wish you all the best thou.
Nice write up.

9 Likes

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by DozieInc(m): 10:04pm On Sep 21, 2016
Nice, write... but try marry.
Re: The Desperation To Get Married by sisisioge: 10:23pm On Sep 21, 2016
OK, pls say no more...will you marry me?

I know there will be times when you'll wonder if you made the right choice but hey, we will do a lot of laughing? Come and marry me.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by Nyceguy92: 11:12pm On Sep 21, 2016
Do not allow the desperation to lead you into proposing to the wrong person.

For me I never felt like I was late to marry...
I was busy working and pushing my bank balance up to care.
In fact, it was the elderly women in our family that hinted marriage to me though I had began to think about it.

Go out more to public places and functions and try and start non-committal conversations with ladies that catch your fancy.
I met my wife at a Corpers Week where I was invited to give a talk.
After the ceremony, I joined a group of female corpers to walk back home.

We chatted, joked, laughed, etc.
I spotted her in the group and then brought out all my "ammunition."
She later confessed she felt a certain chemistry when she saw me in the hall.
We are so so happy together.

The thing is, first, be friends, then lovers if they meet with your ideals.
Please do not give a lady ideas or make promises in the beginning so nobody will say you dumped her if the friendship didn't work.

Good luck.

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by Nobody: 11:29pm On Sep 21, 2016
Male or female, it's best to remain single for life than get married and live quiet lives of absolute desperation and despair because you are married to someone whom you've grown to hate and vice versa.

Don't let Facebook pics fool you. Not everyone who is married is happy.

There are worse things than living a single life, and one of them is waking up next to someone everyday of your life whom you wish would die so you can move on.

Get a dog or a cat or something... undecided

65 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by einsteino(m): 4:58am On Sep 22, 2016
ammyluv2002:
Maybe, he's been careful not to make mistakes, probably he's loaded/was once heartbroken. There are a lot of things that can make a guy who's doing well for himself not to get married as expected;

1. His married friends. How are thier marriages? A single man with so many married friends may be scared of marriage just because of what his friends are passing through. They talk about how it has been so difficult as a married man, how they wished they never got married, but if his married friends are enjoying their union, he becomes desperate to get married. He would want to settle down asap so he can also enjoy his wife.

2. Not seeking godly counsel especially if he's loaded. You know, its so difficult for a rich guy to find a woman who will truly love him, and a wise guy wouldn't want to make some funny mistakes. He would prefer to take his time till he finds the right person.

3. Heartbreak! Guys don't easily get over heartbreaks. He finds it very difficult to fall in love again.

4. Fear of commitment! Some of them are so scared of commitment. They don't want to be "caged" by a woman. They want to be free without having to answer to anyone.

Are you sure you are not a guy? cos you really hit the nail on the head. This is just the summary of us.

2 Likes

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by ammyluv2002(f): 6:24am On Sep 22, 2016
einsteino:

Are you sure you are not a guy? cos you really hit the nail on the head. This is just the summary of us.
You wan recreate me? embarassed

6 Likes

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by Sweetguy25: 7:27am On Sep 22, 2016
Nyceguy92:
Do not allow the desperation to lead you into proposing to the wrong person.
For me I never felt like I was late to marry...
I was busy working and pushing my bank balance up to care.
In fact, it was the elderly women in our family that hinted marriage to me though I had began to think about it.
Go out more to public places and functions and try and start non-committal conversations with ladies that catch your fancy.
I met my wife at a Corpers Week where I was invited to give a talk.
After the ceremony, I joined a group of female corpers to walk back home.
We chatted, joked, laughed, etc.
I spotted her in the group and then brought out all my "ammunition."
She later confessed she felt a certain chemistry when she saw me in the hall.
We are so so happy together.
The thing is, first, be friends, then lovers if they meet with your ideals.
Please do not give a lady ideas or make promises in the beginning so nobody will say you dumped her if the friendship didn't work.
Good luck.

This is it.
Re: The Desperation To Get Married by gidjah(m): 8:11am On Sep 22, 2016
Hmmm,truely speaking,37is not a god time to get hooked up o, you are really selling time behind you bro,wake up and grow up too,you are the man what could have been the reason to have stayed all this long, most of your reasons ain't good with me if you ask me sha.though it is never late , but are you thinking of how old you gonna be when your kids are 8And 10 respectively ?pls re adjust and open your mind , go to functions and social gatherings,flow and blend, in fact ,you do not have to go far, we gat pretty nice ladies(in handful)on this amiable forum,(forget the fact that most of them dey form magaret tacher)they are Godly and quite educated too,I can count them or rather list names here but for security reasons....I have met some personally and some on air,please make us (the men proud)and we shall all wanna celebrate with you.stop been choosey,theres no perfect lady out there,you just be what you ought to be and watch the ideal lady come out to you.Good luck bro.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by Nobody: 10:56am On Sep 22, 2016
cindybaby22:
him matter tire me

Every one has a right to decide what they want for themselves....bt u my dear are a beautiful daisy n i know what i want right now..just allow one PM that's all cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by MicroBox: 12:42pm On Sep 22, 2016
Same here OP.. My own case is not knowing what I really wanted in a woman or the kind of woman I want as a wife.
Light skin..?
Dark skin...?
Ugly....?
Beautiful....?
Introvert. ...?
Extrovert. ..?
...................?
My advice to young bachelor's out there is; your wife is among those girls you see and toast everyday and not some kind of angel sitting somewhere waiting for you.
Get a girl, study her character, propose to her and if she agree, please marry her and start a family.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by shollyblingzy: 2:04pm On Sep 22, 2016
[quote author=proddey post=49552274]
How old are you bro? I used to feel the same way to when I was much younger. I also always believed that with men, getting married is not a problem. It gets to an age that you're no longer meeting people. Not that you wouldn't meet some people, but you simply want to marry right, not just marry anyone that's available. [/quote

@bolded, this is applicable to both male and female, when one has passed thru a certain age, you would be forced to manage those pple you seeing, a stitch in time saves nine,

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Desperation To Get Married by shollyblingzy: 2:07pm On Sep 22, 2016
proddey:

How old are you bro? I used to feel the same way to when I was much younger. I also always believed that with men, getting married is not a problem. It gets to an age that you're no longer meeting people. Not that you wouldn't meet some people, but you simply want to marry right, not just marry anyone that's available.

@bolded, this is applicable to both male and female, when one has passed thru a certain age, you would be forced to manage those pple you seeing, a stitch in time saves nine, enjoy the season and use the opportunity to pich who you want to settle than with

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7)

I Kept My Wife’s Corpse In A Room For Three Months Hoping She Would Wake Up –edw / Businessman Marries Off 50 Girls In Yobe (Photo) / Hilarious Tweets As NIGERIAN MUM Trends On Twitter.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.