Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? (25628 Views)

As A Christian, Is Court Wedding In Place Of Church Wedding Acceptable By God? / Ozubulu Catholic Church Shooting In Anambra: Police Reveal Reason For Attack / No Acceptable Reasons For Missing Church Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by freshvine(f): 8:31pm On Oct 11, 2016
A wife slaps his husband....... The man must've done something wrong. He should find way to make his wife happy, maybe there's something bothering her. Is she pregnant?

A man slaps his wife....... The woman should run now that she have the opportunity. The man is wicked and violent. He could go on to kill the woman someday.

Narrative of my fellow gender on abuse
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by neocortex: 8:32pm On Oct 11, 2016
crackhaus:
for richer for poorer as inflicted by my partner, in sickness in health caused by my partner, TILL DEATH DO US PART even if my partner is going to be the killer...[/b]

Now tell intending couples to swear the oath above and see their reactions.

1 Like

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by gospi: 8:37pm On Oct 11, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
Does an abused wife have to stay with her husband?

Yes ooooo an abused wife has to stay with her husband except the abusive husband kills her then her spirit can now leave the man .

Nonsense and ingredients question!

2 Likes

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 11, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
Does an abused wife have to stay with her husband?
I guess your wife is threatening to divorce you because of the constant abuse... Wish most of the abused women will rise up and say No to Domestic Abuse..... So lucky I've not dated any man that tried laying hands on me though and I pray I don't end up with One

3 Likes

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by sarahade(f): 8:46pm On Oct 11, 2016
If a man slaps you break his head make sure he sleeps in the hospital. He wont try it again.if you like be doing mumu until he kills you.

Marriage is not a must. Ladies respect yourselves stop pushing yourselves on this men if he values you he will never hit you.
#saynotoanyformofviolence

1 Like

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by olagunjumariah: 8:47pm On Oct 11, 2016
Life's experiences spell it bold that we have to optimally blend logic and faith
Now, the optimum blend of logic and faith puts logic in front while faith leads from behind
If the aforesaid is true, then an abused wife has no logical reason to remain with the husband! Gaskia!
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Seun(m): 8:53pm On Oct 11, 2016
freshvine:
A wife slaps his husband....... The man must've done something wrong. He should find way to make his wife happy, maybe there's something bothering her. Is she pregnant?

A man slaps his wife....... The woman should run now that she have the opportunity. The man is wicked and violent. He could go on to kill the woman someday.

I disagree with the double standard, but you should know that the average man is 50% stronger than a woman of the same weight. Men have more muscles, and women have more fat. Also, men tend to date and marry women who are smaller than them. So a woman slapping her man will generally do far less damage than a man doing the same. No physical abuse should be tolerated, but women need more protection.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by olagunjumariah: 8:54pm On Oct 11, 2016
Just on point!!
Victorakats:
Physical Abuse is a Legitimate Ground for Divorce!
No religion supports physical abuse!
And the Law doesn't encourage physical abuse!
If anyone is in a physically abused marriage and he or she have explored every healthy and necessary avenues to reconcile with his or her partner, and they failed, the person has a legitimate right to seek for divorce.
Divorce is legal and Biblical!

Divorce is reversible, Death is Not!

The God that ordained marriage didn't encourage partners to take the lives of their beloved!!!

Thank you!!!

www.amaraofficial.com
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 11, 2016
Victorakats:
Physical Abuse is a Legitimate Ground for Divorce!
No religion supports physical abuse!
And the Law doesn't encourage physical abuse!
If anyone is in a physically abused marriage and he or she have explored every healthy and necessary avenues to reconcile with his or her partner, and they failed, the person has a legitimate right to seek for divorce.
Divorce is legal and Biblical!

Divorce is reversible, Death is Not!

The God that ordained marriage didn't encourage partners to take the lives of their beloved!!!

Thank you!!!

www.amaraofficial.com
It was largely hinged on infidelity that one can't take...both remain divorced until one passes away. Pple should just forget church marriage
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Seun(m): 9:04pm On Oct 11, 2016
sarahade:
If a man slaps you break his head make sure he sleeps in the hospital. He wont try it again.if you like be doing mumu until he kills you.
It is not advisable for a woman to retaliate physically against an abusive man. The escalation of violence has never solved any dispute in the history of mankind, and it's particularly unwise to pick a fight with someone who is stronger than you. The best thing to do is to break up on the spot. If he is able to convince your friends and family that he is truly sorry, take him back. If he does it again, end the relationship permanently. You should not be in a relationship in which you live in the fear of what your partner might do to you if you say/do something he doesn't like.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Oct 11, 2016
Seun:
I disagree with the double standard, but you should know that the average man is 50% stronger than a woman of the same weight. Men have more muscles, and women have more fat. Also, men tend to date and marry women who are smaller than them. So a woman slapping her man will generally do far less damage than a man doing the same. No physical abuse should be tolerated, but women need more protection.
Yea..but what about the shame when she does it in public or often? Doesn't shame have weight?
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 11, 2016
sarahade:

Marriage is not a must. Ladies respect yourselves stop pushing yourselves on this men if he values you he will never hit you.
#saynotoanyformofviolence
Don't marry for wrong reasons. That is the first step of avoiding this.
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by ycat: 9:11pm On Oct 11, 2016
No abeg. leave him and stay single for about a year dating other people and enjoying your life. If he changes his way and comes begging, you can forgive him and get back, if no, go on with your live and choose a better man next time. You can divorce and get marry as many times as you want as long as you are not the cause of the problem. A wife abuser ain't worth the stress. you need to be really happy for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Oct 11, 2016
freshvine:

Funny u...a wife slaps and beats a maid? Right huh?
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Originalsly: 9:15pm On Oct 11, 2016
.... for richer for poorer, in sickness in health UNTIL DEATH DO WE PART.... why do people keep quoting this oath that is NOT in the Bible period? In fact, the Bible warned against swearing before God because you cannot guarantee you can keep that promise...so in essence when we swear at the altar we are telling a bold lie. @topic... @Op... no matter the explanation... you are firm in your belief than once the word abuse Is used then that is enough grounds for divorce. Abuse is a word the meaning of which has been greatly abused. .... a father bathing his 2 year old daughter dare not touch her private... sexual abuse/ a husband rebuking his wife for coming home drunk... verbal abuse/...husband not buying his wife a 2016 Mercedes G Wagon for her birthday so she can keep up with the Jones'...emotional abuse. This is all abuse...and in your book..grounds for divorce... abuse is abuse.

1 Like

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Iceberg3: 9:17pm On Oct 11, 2016
Only a stuppid woman will choose to remain in a house where shes abused...some say cos of their children can she be there for her children when shes dead?
I feel sad when i remember the late whitney houston..even her only daughter also died yrs later.
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by TV01(m): 9:17pm On Oct 11, 2016
repogirl:
Some pastors divorce for lesser reasons, are you saying they are going to hell? Even someone like Pastor Chris Oyakhilome whose wife divorced him for irreconcilable differences?
I said nothing - simply presented a reading of scripture. Whatever any pastor - or their spouse - of any name,standing or repute amongst men does, that does not change the scriptural writ.

If you have a different reading or interpretation, feel free to present it - with reasons. And, should anyone prefer to predicate their Christian walk on the life of "pastors or their spouses", again, they are free to do so. My position remains as is, unless anyone can show otherwise.

TV

1 Like

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by hahn(m): 9:22pm On Oct 11, 2016
Seun:
What a deeply dumb question from a secular POV. If abuse isn't a good reason for divorce, then what the Bleep is a good reason for divorce?

Love and understanding cheesy grin
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by TV01(m): 9:24pm On Oct 11, 2016
Bollinger:
Are you high? I bet you won't be saying this if you were a woman.
No, I am not high, and even if I were, with time I would come down grin. I did not post based on my sex, but on the clear reading of scripture. Does time do anything for a slopey forehead?

TV

1 Like

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Iceberg3: 9:25pm On Oct 11, 2016
Seun:

so on point baba..lil' or no damage is done when a woman slaps her man and wives seldom slaps their man,very rare,its more rampant with husbands..if there were no protection for women,most men will enslave their wives..
People,na Seun be dis o... cool
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Seun(m): 9:26pm On Oct 11, 2016
elfmann:
Yea..but what about the shame when she does it in the public or often? Doesn't shame have weight?
Yes, it has weight, but abused women experience shame too. In addition to bruises, broken bones, and disfigured faces.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Diiverexii(f): 9:29pm On Oct 11, 2016
say no to domestic violence
I prefer divorce to abuse, if u have an inkling of what this abused women go through! they are emotionally traumatized, finally they lost themselves in the process of succumbing to such inhumane degradation!!! they are mentally disturbed!! dear ladies is better to opt out of every abusive relationship to avoid stories that touch in the nearest future.

by the way, for ur health concerns, wellness e.t.c you can ask questions pertaining to ur health issues on my blog at diiverexii.

#saynotoabuseladies

2 Likes

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by couliss: 9:44pm On Oct 11, 2016
DON'T STAY IN A ABUSIVE MARRIAGE, if you stay you might become headline news (man kills his wife in anger)LEAVE.

1 Like

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Bollinger(m): 9:51pm On Oct 11, 2016
TV01:

No, I am not high, and even if I were, with time I would come down grin. I did not post based on my sex, but on the clear reading of scripture. Does time do anything for a slopey forehead?

TV
Suurrreee. Ok. I wanna see how long you can withstand being brutalized on a daily basis. Lets see how you would view the scripture as regard this. It is amazing how most barbaric acts are often justified using the bible. Smh.

3 Likes

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by TV01(m): 9:53pm On Oct 11, 2016
Bollinger:
Suurrreee. Ok. I wanna see how long you can withstand being brutalized on a daily basis. Lets see how you would view the scripture as regard this. It is amazing how most barbaric acts are often justified using the bible. Smh.
...and how did I justify abuse - or any barbaric act - using the bible?

TV
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by peculiar32(f): 10:00pm On Oct 11, 2016
no oo. the wife should stay till the husband kill her..N all those people quoting till death do us part don't know what they are talking about. .Is it physical death or emotional death?...the day the husband raise his hands to beat his wife that marriage is already dead..If he love his wife he will not do anything to hurt her. it would be wise for the wife to leave that marriage...she can pray for the husband to come to his senses n turn from his wicked ways.

Most women stay in abusive marriages probably because they are not financially stable..That is the reason why women should be empowered to be independent.

2 Likes

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Bollinger(m): 10:07pm On Oct 11, 2016
TV01:

...and how did I justify abuse - or any barbaric act - using the bible?

TV

TV01:

A Christian can by all means separate if they feels they are in real danger, but it is not grounds for divorce. Not to mention that "abuse" covers an almost interminable spectrum these days.

TV

TV01:

TV

The fact that one is being battered is enough grounds for divorce.

4 Likes

Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 11, 2016
Seun:
Yes, it has weight, but abused women experienced shame too.
They say no but rather live in fear. Judging from Christian way...none remarries until one passes on. So many folks ain't real Christians according to the bible.
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by ceejayxy(m): 10:18pm On Oct 11, 2016
why would she leave..she has to stay until he kills her nau
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by CAPSLOCKED: 10:22pm On Oct 11, 2016
hahn:

Love and understanding cheesy grin
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by TV01(m): 10:24pm On Oct 11, 2016
Bollinger:
The fact that one is being battered is enough grounds for divorce.
Remove your self from danger by all means - and I wouldn't wait for a divorce to come through before doing that. But scripturally, marriage is until death do part. You can remain separated for as long as it is wise to do so, all the while seeking healing and reconciliation.

If you cannot reconcile or choose not too, you are not free remarry as long as your spouse remains alive. That is the position whether you term it separation, living apart or legal divorce.

And for the record, the bible is clear on the conduct expected from husbands and wives - it does not allow, prescribe or condone abuse. If you are not a Christian, do as you please. Do so even if you call yourself one, but the scriptures are clear.

TV
Re: Is Abuse An Acceptable Reason For Divorce? by sarahade(f): 11:03pm On Oct 11, 2016
Seun:

It is not advisable for a woman to retaliate physically against an abusive man. The escalation of violence has never solved any dispute in the history of mankind, and it's particularly unwise to pick a fight with someone who is stronger than you. The best thing to do is to break up on the spot. If he is able to convince your friends and family that he is truly sorry, take him back. If he does it again, end the relationship permanently. You should not be in a relationship in which you live in the fear of what your partner might do to you if you say/do something he doesn't like.

Oook by the time hes unconcious he can retaliate. I dont need strength to over power anyone i just have to know what im doing.
Im making him unconcious so when next he wants to hit his next wife he'll think twice.
Once anyone start abusing me physically my brain automatically switches to self defense mode.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bishop T.D Jakes And Wife, Serita, Recreate Their 23-Year-Old Picture / Night Of Bliss With Pastor Chris Oyakhilome / Today's Rhema (God's gifts to men).

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.